Least popular character in Sci Fi

edited December 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,341
I wan to list the Hall of Shame and talk about some of our least favorite characters from some of our favorite Sci Fi shows and films. And feel free to mention what type of death you would envision for these bums.

1. Wesley Crusher the top of most lists. He was written out of TNG quietly but he should have been killed off in my opinion. Have him zapped by that monster that killed Tasha Yar, or have the salt vampire from "Man Trap"get a piece of his sorry ass.
2. Colin Mallory from Sliders, one of my favorite shows but this character who came on in Season 4 was a total wash. At least they wrote him out in an inglorious fashion. to hell with him and the crummy actor who played him.
3. Yeoman Rand played by a hot Grace Lee Whitney in the original Trek series, she was only in season 1. Her character was just boring and uninspired. Maybe she was meant to be a romantic interst for Captain "can't keep it in my pants" Kirk. I don't know. A wasted character who just took up space (no pun intended ) in season 1
4. Jason the Ranger from Babylon 5. I saw no real use for him in the first place. He was just some cute guy with a Brit accent. He did die a noble death in Season 4...I don't have many complaints about this grand show, and I am hard pressed to find something that I disliked but Jason would have to be the only thing wrong.
5. Oleg Gan from Blakes 7. His untimely death in Season 2 got no reaction from me. He is important because he was the first character to be killed off on a show that had no qualms about offing major characters. I liked most fo the characters on this little known Sci Fi series from the late seventies but Gan just never did anything for me.
6. Harry Kim from ST Voyager I found this boyscout to be boring, boring and more boring. He should have been killed off (along with his double from the alternate universe). Add Neelix to the list...

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Data from Star Trek TNG
    I never liked Spiner that much and Data's just a bland copy of Spock IMO.
    George Lucas ;-)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    George Lucas ;-)

Seconded. :))
    I was just going to say Jar-Jar Binks but I think Lucas is a suitable substitute for creating the idiot.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    The crappy child Anakin Skywalker from Menace.
    The crappy child Anakin Skywalker from Menace.

Dubbed "Mannequin Skywalker" by the press at the time. Bit harsh on a ten year old boy I have to say though.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I think Adult Anakin was worse. Jake Lloyd was a kid who was just doing what he was paid and directed to do by George Green Screen Everything Lucas. Jake get's the poop end of the stick I'm afraid. Cut the kid some slack. Hell even Samuel L. Jackson told everyone to get off his back.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Murdock wrote:
    I think Adult Anakin was worse. Jake Lloyd was a kid who was just doing what he was paid and directed to do by George Green Screen Everything Lucas. Jake get's the poop end of the stick I'm afraid. Cut the kid some slack. Hell even Samuel L. Jackson told everyone to get off his back.

Couldn't agree more. Hayden Christensen was awful in both films and I didn't Jackson or Ewen McGregor were that great either, which just tells you how bad those scripts were. To put all the blame on a ten year old was extremely unjust. Has anyone watched the early Harry Potter films? Look how wooden the kids are in those films compared to the last few in the series.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The majority of the Jedi Council. They get to do nothing except sit there and nod their heads. Why even have a council when the majority of the decisions are made by Yoda, Mace Windu, occasionally Ki-Adi Mundi and then Obi-Wan when he finally joined?
    When Windu says the line "You think it's this boy?", it's delivered in such an awful manner by Jackson. You expect better from an actor of his calibre. Although, it must be difficult when you're sat on your ass surrounded by nothing but Green with Lucas pointing and telling you where you should be looking.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Back in the day, and now, I LIKE Wesley Crusher. I *NEVER* understood the bitter BS regarding the character from some folks. When I hear people poop on him it makes me CRAZY!! Can't you guys LEAVE HIM ALONE!?!?!? He was a good character, and a fine addition to the Enterprise crew! I'm ready to fire full phasers here, AND NOT ON STUN!!!! Give the boy a break!
    YOU GOT THAT?*

*did ya buy the mock anger?

Seriously, Wes was cool.
    Maybe Lucas got bored counting his millions and decided to plop his fat ass in the directors chair. I understand that of the first trilogy the only one he directed was the first one, Episode IV. He called in a top notch director for Empire and Jedi and they turned out fine.
    What was he thinking when he created Jar Jar Binks? He wanted a cute thing that he could use for merchandising later (like with the Ewoks). Unfortunately Jar Jar backfired badly.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Maybe Lucas got bored counting his millions and decided to plop his fat ass in the directors chair. I understand that of the first trilogy the only one he directed was the first one, Episode IV. He called in a top notch director for Empire and Jedi and they turned out fine.
    What was he thinking when he created Jar Jar Binks? He wanted a cute thing that he could use for merchandising later (like with the Ewoks). Unfortunately Jar Jar backfired badly.

I'm no big defender of Lucas re the prequels but Richard Marquand 'top notch'? You sure about that?
    OHMSS69 wrote:

I'm no big defender of Lucas re the prequels but Richard Marquand 'top notch'? You sure about that?

Actually, I'd have said Marquand's CV outside of Star Wars is perhaps more impressive than Kershner's. Eye Of The Needle and Jagged Edge are cracking thrillers. He may have gone to direct more great films had he not died at a fairly young age.