Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

Thunderball was the first Bond film I ever saw, and it remains my absolute favorite Bond film to this day.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Currently watching You Only Live Twice while heavily intoxicated. If I can remember, drunken analysis to follow.
    Saw Licence to Kill on TV; I still love it. Classic, black sheep Bond.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Currently watching You Only Live Twice while heavily intoxicated. If I can remember, drunken analysis to follow.
    It seems you did forget.
    :))
  • Currently watching OHMSS on ITV.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
    There are plenty of stupidities and psychedelic absurdities in this film, but also a lot of good stuff. The score,including the title track, is magnificent, Wint and Kidd are the best henchmen ever, the elevator fight, the crematorium deathtrap, the Whyte House ascent and so much more. Ranks somewhere in the middle for me I guess. I like it. As a sequel to YOLT it really works, and Gray was a better Blofeld than Pleasance.
    Wint and Kidd were just horrible.
    wint and kidd are some of the worst henchmen ever but they are funny.love the sound the one makes when 007 pulls his hands into his nuts classic.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Wint and Kidd were just horrible.

Wint and Kidd are among the best henchmen with some of the best lines. One of the bright spots of DAF.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 17,691

I concur.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 7,500
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Wint and Kidd are definitely a couple of my favorite henchmen. I just wish that we got a little bit more of them.
    And that their final battle with Bond aboard the ocean liner had stayed true to the novel.

If they had wanted to replicate that scene from the novel, they would have to recast the two actors. It would never work with two clowns in it.
    im curious what was the finale battle like in the novel I haven't read any bond books never even seen one in a store or anything in my life.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    GOLDENEYE

I like:the title song and title sequence.Julius Caesar was great as General Ourumov and Tcheky Kario was good as the defence minister. Just about everything else is dreadful. Seriously, this could be the most cringeworthy film in the franchise.
    what are you talking about goldeneye is awesome I just watched it today and I loved it like always.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Caught OHMSS on ITV 1 yesterday ! :) ( still my favourite Bond film)
    ITV have done a great job over Christmas showing plenty of Bond, and
    They're the cleaned up, remastered versions and look fantastic on HD.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    chrisisall wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I had forgot that bit at the end with the Mujahadeen and when I saw it yesterday it seemed a little too much.
    Don't forget, President Reagan referred to them as "The moral equivalent of our Founding Fathers" so hell YEAH, let 'em in, ammo & all! We love these guys! :))
    I just saw Thunderball as part of my Bond moviethon. A review follows:

I'll start by saying this is. This film is incredible, given when it was made, and how it stands up, pacing wise, today. The pacing is ridiculously good given it's age. Much better in this respect than FRWL, which is the only other Bond film from that era that stands up to this. I don’t think GF holds a candle to TB, or FRWL, but that’s me. It's also a very iconic film with some very memorable scenes.

The opening brilliant pretitles sequence, from battling Jacques Bouvar in the chateau, to the jetpack, to the Aston squirting water, is one for the ages. I love the speed with which the pretitles unfolds. Dare I say, this is the first Bond to feature crazy cutting & editing in action sequences (something that was to be taken to ridiculous extremes 45 years later in QoS!).

I love Tom jones song and delivery – immense –he really belts this one out, particularly at the end “so he strikes…….like ThunderbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAL”

The movie itself is pure magic. The opening SPECTRE meeting in Paris, where their plan is hatched, features another incredible Ken Adam set. The plan itself is brilliant and suitably grandiose & diabolical. A precursor to other plots of this type in future Bond films.

The whole Shrublands retreat was very well done and suitably scenic. Bond gets up to some spy espionage action here and it’s great to see. His scenes with Lippe are particularly enjoyable. Molly Peter’s Patricia Fearing and mink still gets me to this day.

The introduction of the villainous Fiona Volpe is suitably chilling, as she doesn't bat an eyelid as the man she has just bed (Derval) is killed and impersonated. We realize right away what an absolute total 'b' she is. The filming of the stolen Vulcan is well done, as is the crash in the sea (the models were reasonably realistic for 1965).

Bond’s first encounter with Domino in Nassau is fantastic. It has echoes of Cary Grant, Grace Kelly & the cat thief in Cannes in To Catch A Thief, one of my favourite movies of all time.. His first encounter with Largo is also great, thrashing him at chemin de fer to raise his ire. The underwater scenes when Bond attempts to find out what the Disco Volante hides were very well filmed for their time. Bond’s roaming about Largo’s villa at night was also nicely filmed, and Barry's score suited the scenes on screen, including his near doomed shark pool escape (I always wondered how they filmed that as a kid…could not figure out the obvious use of a glass partition!). Bond’s first meet with Fiona in Nassau and the drive in the Mustang is a particularly iconic scene, homaged briefly with Caterina Murino in CR. His encounter with her in the hotel room is also very memorable, including the infamous washroom scene. I loved the whole Junkanoo bit, and the music that plays throughout, including when Volpe is shot. I even enjoyed the underwater finale. Sure, it’s long, but I found it more exciting than the Piz Gloria OHMSS finale that was voted so highly for on this forum. I also enjoyed the Largo/Bond final fight, but I would have preferred better editing (as I said, a precursor to QoS!)

Soundtack – magnificent, dreamy, watery, makes you feel like you’re drowning and actually enjoying the experience. Absolutely outstanding work by the Master.
    ---

Connery’s machismo is intoxicating. The man oozes confidence. Charismatic to the core, he is silky smooth in this one. The definitive Bond IMO and close to the definitive portrayal in this film, perhaps only topped by FRWL.

Emilio Largo – terribly charismatic actor and an intimidating thug to look at. Ruthless. I believed he could thrash Bond. As a kid watching this for the first time, I actually feared for Domino's safety at the end.

Claudine Auger – what can I say really. Beautiful, amazing figure, and stunning in a bikini. I find the French Bond girls are the best, so I'm really looking forward to SP. I find myself wanting to visit France due to her.

Luciana Paluzzi – the original bad girl (I don’t count Lotte as a girl really given obvious reasons and orientations). Super sexy and smart too. Way ahead of her time and still to be topped in the Bond universe IMO, 50 years later. I’m planning to visit her birthplace of Rome later this year, and hopefully am comparably enamoured.

Guy Doleman – loved him as Count Lippe. Iconic encounter between him and Bond at Shrublands.

Molly Peters, Martine Beswick – both stunning side characters/
    ---

This film has absolutely beautiful cinematography, the movie truly has a vacation feel. You feel relaxed after watching it, somewhat like Baywatch!
    ---

The lines are phenomenal and delivered with such class by all concerned. The key is they fit the scenes & characterizations, and do not seem tacked on:

“Do you think she’s worth going after?- I wouldn't put it quite that way, sir.”
    “Most girls just paddle around, you swim like a man.- So do you.- Well, I've had quite a bit of practice”
    “Your name's James Bond and you've been admiring my form?”
    “Perhaps we could lunch by the pool.- How about your urgent appointment?”
    “Have some of my conch chowder.-You read the wrong books, Mr Bond.-About conch chowder?-Being an aphrodisiac.-It just so happens that I like conch chowder.”
    “What sharp little eyes you have.-Wait till you get to my teeth”
    “No, some men just don’t like to be taken for a ride”
    “I thought I saw a spectre on your shoulder”
    “Well, I’m not what you’d call a passionate man”
    “Well, you can’t win them all”
    "My dear girl, don't flatter yourself. What I did this evening was for Queen and country. You don't think it gave me any pleasure, do you?"
    "But of course, I forgot your ego, Mr. Bond. James Bond, the one where he has to make love to a woman, and she starts to hear heavenly choirs singing. She repents, and turns to the side of right and virtue..."
    “My dear Colonel Bouvar, you shouldn't have opened that car door by yourself!”

The movie also has several iconic scenes that we see for the first time in the Bond universe, and which we will see many times afterwards, ie:

- Shark pool,
    - festivals (like Junkanoo),
    - underwater scenes,
    - female henchwomen you’d actually want to bed (so Lotte does not count)
    - moving vehicle with hidden trap door (if you don’t count the Aston from GF),
    - goodie group vs. baddie group in finale, both wearing their individual colours while shooting at each other so you can conveniently tell who is who,
    - underwater 2 person submarine,
    - SPECTRE plan to destroy major cities is the first of the megalomaniacal plots that would become a staple of the movies
    ---

This is perhaps my favourite Bond film, given when it was made. Absolutely bloody marvelous. 9.5 /10

QFT. This great post is as epic as the movie itself.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    I just saw Thunderball as part of my Bond moviethon. A review follows:

I'll start by saying this is. This film is incredible, given when it was made, and how it stands up, pacing wise, today. The pacing is ridiculously good given it's age. Much better in this respect than FRWL, which is the only other Bond film from that era that stands up to this. I don’t think GF holds a candle to TB, or FRWL, but that’s me. It's also a very iconic film with some very memorable scenes.

The opening brilliant pretitles sequence, from battling Jacques Bouvar in the chateau, to the jetpack, to the Aston squirting water, is one for the ages. I love the speed with which the pretitles unfolds. Dare I say, this is the first Bond to feature crazy cutting & editing in action sequences (something that was to be taken to ridiculous extremes 45 years later in QoS!).

I love Tom jones song and delivery – immense –he really belts this one out, particularly at the end “so he strikes…….like ThunderbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAL”

The movie itself is pure magic. The opening SPECTRE meeting in Paris, where their plan is hatched, features another incredible Ken Adam set. The plan itself is brilliant and suitably grandiose & diabolical. A precursor to other plots of this type in future Bond films.

The whole Shrublands retreat was very well done and suitably scenic. Bond gets up to some spy espionage action here and it’s great to see. His scenes with Lippe are particularly enjoyable. Molly Peter’s Patricia Fearing and mink still gets me to this day.

The introduction of the villainous Fiona Volpe is suitably chilling, as she doesn't bat an eyelid as the man she has just bed (Derval) is killed and impersonated. We realize right away what an absolute total 'b' she is. The filming of the stolen Vulcan is well done, as is the crash in the sea (the models were reasonably realistic for 1965).

Bond’s first encounter with Domino in Nassau is fantastic. It has echoes of Cary Grant, Grace Kelly & the cat thief in Cannes in To Catch A Thief, one of my favourite movies of all time.. His first encounter with Largo is also great, thrashing him at chemin de fer to raise his ire. The underwater scenes when Bond attempts to find out what the Disco Volante hides were very well filmed for their time. Bond’s roaming about Largo’s villa at night was also nicely filmed, and Barry's score suited the scenes on screen, including his near doomed shark pool escape (I always wondered how they filmed that as a kid…could not figure out the obvious use of a glass partition!). Bond’s first meet with Fiona in Nassau and the drive in the Mustang is a particularly iconic scene, homaged briefly with Caterina Murino in CR. His encounter with her in the hotel room is also very memorable, including the infamous washroom scene. I loved the whole Junkanoo bit, and the music that plays throughout, including when Volpe is shot. I even enjoyed the underwater finale. Sure, it’s long, but I found it more exciting than the Piz Gloria OHMSS finale that was voted so highly for on this forum. I also enjoyed the Largo/Bond final fight, but I would have preferred better editing (as I said, a precursor to QoS!)

Soundtack – magnificent, dreamy, watery, makes you feel like you’re drowning and actually enjoying the experience. Absolutely outstanding work by the Master.
    ---

Connery’s machismo is intoxicating. The man oozes confidence. Charismatic to the core, he is silky smooth in this one. The definitive Bond IMO and close to the definitive portrayal in this film, perhaps only topped by FRWL.

Emilio Largo – terribly charismatic actor and an intimidating thug to look at. Ruthless. I believed he could thrash Bond. As a kid watching this for the first time, I actually feared for Domino's safety at the end.

Claudine Auger – what can I say really. Beautiful, amazing figure, and stunning in a bikini. I find the French Bond girls are the best, so I'm really looking forward to SP. I find myself wanting to visit France due to her.

Luciana Paluzzi – the original bad girl (I don’t count Lotte as a girl really given obvious reasons and orientations). Super sexy and smart too. Way ahead of her time and still to be topped in the Bond universe IMO, 50 years later. I’m planning to visit her birthplace of Rome later this year, and hopefully am comparably enamoured.

Guy Doleman – loved him as Count Lippe. Iconic encounter between him and Bond at Shrublands.

Molly Peters, Martine Beswick – both stunning side characters/
    ---

This film has absolutely beautiful cinematography, the movie truly has a vacation feel. You feel relaxed after watching it, somewhat like Baywatch!
    ---

The lines are phenomenal and delivered with such class by all concerned. The key is they fit the scenes & characterizations, and do not seem tacked on:

“Do you think she’s worth going after?- I wouldn't put it quite that way, sir.”
    “Most girls just paddle around, you swim like a man.- So do you.- Well, I've had quite a bit of practice”
    “Your name's James Bond and you've been admiring my form?”
    “Perhaps we could lunch by the pool.- How about your urgent appointment?”
    “Have some of my conch chowder.-You read the wrong books, Mr Bond.-About conch chowder?-Being an aphrodisiac.-It just so happens that I like conch chowder.”
    “What sharp little eyes you have.-Wait till you get to my teeth”
    “No, some men just don’t like to be taken for a ride”
    “I thought I saw a spectre on your shoulder”
    “Well, I’m not what you’d call a passionate man”
    “Well, you can’t win them all”
    "My dear girl, don't flatter yourself. What I did this evening was for Queen and country. You don't think it gave me any pleasure, do you?"
    "But of course, I forgot your ego, Mr. Bond. James Bond, the one where he has to make love to a woman, and she starts to hear heavenly choirs singing. She repents, and turns to the side of right and virtue..."
    “My dear Colonel Bouvar, you shouldn't have opened that car door by yourself!”

The movie also has several iconic scenes that we see for the first time in the Bond universe, and which we will see many times afterwards, ie:

- Shark pool,
    - festivals (like Junkanoo),
    - underwater scenes,
    - female henchwomen you’d actually want to bed (so Lotte does not count)
    - moving vehicle with hidden trap door (if you don’t count the Aston from GF),
    - goodie group vs. baddie group in finale, both wearing their individual colours while shooting at each other so you can conveniently tell who is who,
    - underwater 2 person submarine,
    - SPECTRE plan to destroy major cities is the first of the megalomaniacal plots that would become a staple of the movies
    ---

This is perhaps my favourite Bond film, given when it was made. Absolutely bloody marvelous. 9.5 /10

Great summary of what makes TB so superb. I think this one has the best script of the whole series, and those lines are so well written and excecuted.

Mendes & Craig take note - see Thunderball for how to weave puns & witty dialogue into a film without it seeming forced or clanging...

GOLDENEYE Seriously, this could be the most cringeworthy film in the franchise.

Woah, slow down there.
    Wint and Kidd are definitely a couple of my favorite henchmen. I just wish that we got a little bit more of them.
    And that their final battle with Bond aboard the ocean liner had stayed true to the novel.

They were completely unthreatening.
  • Birdleson wrote: »

They were completely unthreatening.

I disagree. Many of the great henchmen have had the ability to be both humorous and threatening simultaneously (Oddjob, Jaws, Xenia, etc.)

I find @doubleohdad completely unthreatening and unconvincing in a fight.

Especially after I've had barbecue :)
    edited January 2015 Posts: 17,691
    YOLT. So much fun to be had. Connery was excellent in it, Aki was great (teared up again when she died) :( . Just a wonderful, colourfull comic book Bond movie.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I'm not sure why they killed Aki off except to get another girl in. I know they explained that he "had to marry Island girl" but his disguise was so preposterous that it didn't matter. AKi was both sexier and more personality than Kissy.
    Sark wrote: »
    AKi was both sexier and more personality than Kissy.
    It's why I teared up....
    Boo, Kissy > Aki all the way.
  • FourDot wrote: »

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Just finished OHMSS. It's a very good movie, although I confess I didn't like it quite as much this time around. Lazenby is just incapable of being suave, and every one of his one-liners falls flat, and having Sir Hilary dub his voice for a solid half-hour was distracting. What he lacks in suaveness, he makes up for in his physicality and his sudden ability to act in the romantic and dramatic scenes, which is really baffling.

The camera work in the movie, with all the quick cuts and a bit of the shaky cam, forty years early, could be off-putting, and sometimes even reminiscent of QoS. Some of the structure is odd for a Bond movie, but I suppose that's not really a weakness per se.

The movie has a few other bits that leave me scratching my head: Who were the guys who threatened Bond at the beach? Why did Tracy pull a gun on him? Why was she crying at the bullfighting get-together? Their romance as a whole is somewhat odd, with the montage followed by Bond gallivanting with the girls at Piz Gloria, and then them meeting each other on pure happenstance.

Apart from all that, however, the movie was very nearly perfect. The score, the cinematography, Savalas as Blofeld, the evil plot, the set design (especially Piz Gloria), Diana Rigg as Tracy, Bond's great escape, the attack on Piz Gloria, and of course that tragic ending, were all simply marvelous.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 7,500
    Who were the guys who threatened Bond at the beach? Why did Tracy pull a gun on him? Why was she crying at the bullfighting get-together? Their romance as a whole is somewhat odd, with the montage followed by.

The PTS is an extract from the novel, where Draco sends his men to pick up Bond and Tracy and on the beach to bring them in. However the scene makes absolutely no sence in the cinematic version.

The rest is not too difficult to explain though. Tracy is portrayed as a depressed, suicidal girl reaching the point of insanity. That's what the gun is supposed to illustrate. She cries at the bullfighting arena because she believes Bond is only interested in her because her father has arranged some kind of marriage proposal. Its not that far fetched.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    OHMSS is my favourite Book and film.
    I even love the score. It's as if they
    made a film just for Me. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    FourDot wrote: »

NOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Aki was definitely the more fully formed character but I found Kissy more appealing purely on a physical level personally.