Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

Brosnan's hair in GE has honestly NEVER been an issue for me.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I hope you won't work as a barber... :-))
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,350
    I'm not going to lie either, as bad as Brosnan's hair is, I do really like it in GoldenEye.

Also, as will please @DaltonCraig007, I'm no barber.
    For Your Eyes Only worked so well in bringing Bond back down to earth, literally. It just made the movie itself even more enjoyable, and I think Moore was possibly at his best in FYEO, with maybe the exception of LALD.
  • Last: Die Another Day.
    Last Before that: Quantum of Solace.
    Somehow i decided that these two attracted me more than others, even though neither are in my favourites (though i really like Qos), and DaD is watchable (as entertainment)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I just saw Dr. No again--this time on the big screen--very cool.

What I noticed this time around was the circularity. During the briefing, M mentions Bond having been in the hospital for six months, which is a reference to Klebb kicking him in the novel FRWL, which of course is attempted again in the very next film.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    edited June 2011 Posts: 972
    I'm not going to lie either, as bad as Brosnan's hair is, I do really like it in GoldenEye.

Also, as will please @DaltonCraig007, I'm no barber.
    Yeah, his hair was kinda different in Goldeneye... But since Tomorrow Never Dies, his hair looks great.. And has since become the Bond with the nicest looking set of hair!

By the way, having my own Bond marathon... Last movie I stopped at, Licence To Kill.....
    Can't remember but in July I won't have watched a Bond film in a year. I needed the break as it had got to the point where I'd put on a 007 flick and not even listened to it.
    I finished watching The Spy Who Loved Me today, after having not watched it since March (I try to keep a two to three month gap between each viewing). I really liked it this time around, whereas previous times it was just all right. Every action scene was a thrill ride, especially the Liparus battle. The locations also really caught my eye, such as the Egyptian Pyramids, Sardinia, the Liparus, and Atlantis. They certainly prove an asset rather than a downfall. Also, on a side note, I was rather puzzled at how the movie did not highlight Karl Stromberg's webbed hands. We see them on the screen, briefly, and it is mentioned very loosely when Naomi advises Bond that he does not like to shake hands. It would have been interesting if maybe his hands provided his death, in a similar fashion to that of Dr. No. It's not a big thing, but it still annoyed me a little.
    Actually, I think From Russia With Love was the last Bond flick I saw.
    Just watched Spy. Not on BD though. They need to release the rest, dang it. I'm getting spoiled.
    Just watched Spy. Not on BD though. They need to release the rest, dang it. I'm getting spoiled.
    When they do, you can bet it'll be a brand new matching set for all (soon to be) 23 films, making the current random releases obsolete.
    Watched Quantum of Solace the other day. Still one of my favorite Bond films.
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Just finished a Bond double bill as I wanted to keep out of the heatwave. One classic Bond and one modern Bond.

Thunderball (1965)

Thoroughly enjoyed it, even if it is maybe a tad over-appreciated on here (its replaced FYEO as no.8 on my list). The cinematography is wonderfully colourful and perfectly fits within a hot Sunday afternoon. Connery is great and the story is relitively simple yet effective. Largo is a decent villain and certainly serves his purpose as a number 2 SPECTRE agent (an assistant to a higher power) - even if he isn't as memorable as DN, Klebb, GF etc.

Likewise Domino, whilst unbelievably gorgeous, is a little bland and occasionally seems more like a copy of Honey Ryder. However Fiona is brilliant and a classic Bond villainess.

I do still have a bit of an issue with the gimicky rocket-pack at the start. It adds little to the film and feels like it was there simply to impress younger audiences in 1965. Whilst John Barry's score is great I've never cared that much for the obscure song by Tom Jones. The ending also feels a rather rushed (I continue to wonder what exactly happened to that man who rescued Domino).

Whilst TB may lack the depth of some of the better films it's nonetheless a classic exotic entry and one which I can watch over and over.

8/10

Tomorrow Never Dies (1965)

After the exotic Thunderball TND was something of a comedown and unfortunately has thus gone down in my rankings (its now number 15). This has nothing to do with Pierce who was great in the part but more the writing and overall presentation. It makes TB look like a masterpiece - which it isn't.

Firstly, TND doesn't look half as colourful as TB. Maybe not as much of a problem if it wasn't a hot afternoon but after that films visual richness TND seems very dark by comparison - despite a few classy shots of hotel rooms.

However, the main weakness is the over-reliance on action and cheesiness. Where TB took time to tell the story TND feels somewhat rushed and uneven by comparison. The product placement is also especially crindge-worthy at times.

There are some strong points though. Pierce is comfortable in the role and carries the film with his smooth confidence mixed with occasional ruthlessness. Jonathan Pryce is great as Elliot Carver and Michelle Yeoh is fine as Wai-Lin.

Overrall a weaker entry but not one of the worst IMO. It still has enough life and re-watch quality to make it a solid flick.

6/10
    @BAIN123: I agree about Thunderball being a bit over-appreciated. While I find it thoroughly enjoying and one of the better Bond films, it does lack something harder to define, unlike some of the more easily defined worst Bond movies. I think for me it is the length of the movie combined with several slow and dull scenes in the middle. Other Bond movies with longer lengths, such as GE, CR, TSWLM, or OP can keep me on the edge of my seat and entertained even during the down-time moments. TB, however, makes you yawn during those parts, and it's a real shame, because everything else about it is spot-on 007!

However, I disagree about TND to some extent. I think it was really colorful, especially with such engaging locations like Hamburg and China, and several interior locations like Carver's news press, Bond's hotel in Hamburg, Carver's China Headquarters, and the amazing Stealth Boat. Also, I really don't think that the story relied on action too heavily. All the action scenes were well placed and necessary, and they did tell the story well, but since it wasn't that complex of a plot, I guess it didn't take as long to tell, leaving much more room for all that beastly action!
    Maybe it was a little unfair to compare TB to TND as they come from very different periods. Nonetheless there was far more gunfire and all-out action in the latter.

In regard to colour, the switch from fancy exotic beaches to the interiors of ships just seemed a lot more noticeable.

One of my favourites GE also has fairly dark cinematography but events all come together far better in that film and it makes for a more satisfying experience overall IMO.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Just finished my 20 Bond movie marathon... So my last was Die Another Day.... Brosnan's last outing as Bond, he doesn't look as bad as Roger Moore did in AVTAK, probably because Brosnan's last Bond movie was at a much younger age than Roger Moore was.. But then again, he doesn't really look that bad now either for his age. Still looking very Bond like, minus the weight increase... When Die Another Day on somewhat a whimper for Brosnan, I felt that it was such a pity that was his last as no one had expected DAD to be his last... Brosnan should have stayed as Bond, but since the producers wanted to reboot the franchise, the rest is of course history.. Daniel Craig is a good Bond for this era, but Brosnan will always be my favorite Bond....
    Never Say Never Again (1983)

As this was the only Bond film I hadn't seen all the way through I thought Id give it a go.

What a piece of crud! Badly made with its cheap looking sets, cheesey effects and with a star who's more like an ageing dad than a spy. Although Connery is watchable he's far cooler in The Rock 12 years down the line.

What makes this worse is that it was directed by the person who made what many consider to be the best Star Wars film.

I think I may have to watch DAD now - at least that film had more life ;)

3/10
    Badly made with its cheap looking sets, cheesey effects and with a star who's more like an ageing dad than a spy. Although Connery is watchable he's far cooler in The Rock 12 years down the line.

What makes this worse is that it was directed by the person who made what many consider to be the best Star Wars film.
    Add in the lack of a gun barrel, title sequence, a rubbish opening, M, Q and Moneypenny being played by different actors, which itself takes me out of the film and it being just a nuff Thunderball remake, it makes me so glad this isn't a real Bond film and it's not in so many ways.

And that wink...
    Q sounded like a younger Michael Caine and MP was just nothing.

Connery, shame on you.
    LTK on BD. Awesome! In fact, I liked it even better than last time I watched it.
    Samuel001 said:
    BAIN123 said:
    Badly made with its cheap looking sets, cheesey effects and with a star who's more like an ageing dad than a spy. Although Connery is watchable he's far cooler in The Rock 12 years down the line.

Add in the lack of a gun barrel, title sequence, a rubbish opening, M, Q and Moneypenny being played by different actors, which itself takes me out of the film and it being just a nuff Thunderball remake, it makes me so glad this isn't a real Bond film and it's not in so many ways.

And that wink...

I watched NSNA about two weeks ago, and it was the first time I had seen it. I had never really wanted to give it a chance considering its "unofficial" status and how bad a friend said it was, but two weeks ago I watched it anyway on TV. Man, I wish I hadn't. That movie completely ruined not only Thunderball but Sean Connery, and to some extent, the entire James Bond series! Thank goodness that OP was made and Roger Moore brought things around!
    I must admit NSNA does have a "so bad its funny" kind of quality but on the whole its just poor with a capital P.

In fact I ended up watching GE for the zillionth time late last night on dvd. That's how a Bond film SHOULD be done :)

I've seen quite a few in the last few days - musn't watch anymore :-S
    BAIN123 said:
    I must admit NSNA does have a "so bad its funny" kind of quality but on the whole its just poor with a capital P.

In fact I ended up watching GE for the zillionth time late last night on dvd. That's how a Bond film SHOULD be done :-)

Exactly! GoldenEye is my favorite Bond movie, and it has everything to call it the best of the best! I think many people disregard it as being too set on Timothy Dalton as 007, and that Pierce Brosnan wasn't adequate. Well, quite the contrary, because Brosnan was at his best in GE! Yes, the movie was set more for Timothy Dalton, but come on, he had already left and Brosnan was much more than a suitable replacement! Also, people complain about the pace of the movie and a lack of eye-popping locations. I really don't get that. The locations used in the movie were the perfect choices for the story itself, and the pace of the movie keeps me entertained all the way through, unlike that of OHMSS, which is dead slow in the middle.
    GE is my favourite too and it always has been. It's certainly the one I've gone back to rewatch the most over the years. I agree about the locations. True, they aren't as bright as many of the other films but the grey does suit the cold-war/Russia themed story as does the Eric Serra score. Also, when compared to NSNA the locations scream with colour and detail.
    @BAIN123: Hahaha! Yes, put NSNA up against GE and prepare for a beating!
    Another thing that Never Say Never Again doesn't have: The James Bond Theme and an even half decent score. After rewatching it yesterday - thanks to you @BAIN123 - I now think it truely is the worst of the lot.

So many characters could have just been anyone, such as Felix and "Moneypenny"...
    @BAIN123 - spot on synopsis of TB. I'm glad you mention the shortcomings of Domino, she gets a "get out of jail free" pass often around here for looking so hot--and you know I usually give it to her too, but she does lack a bit of depth it must be noted.

@All of you guys: I have the complete opposite opinion of NSNA: I think it's great. Sean Connery looks fit and like he's taking the role seriously. Fatima Blush's character is excellent, Klaus Maria Brandauer gives a great performance as Largo--and has more dimension to his story than TB's Largo, and Max Von Siddow was a convincing Blofeld. The locations are all nice. I particulary like the Tears of Alla set--looks like something out of Indiana Jones. The action was entertaining with the fight in the clinic and the bike chase. I notice a lot of Bondian moments in the film too, such as when Bond has the host hold his cigarette case still, convincing him it's a bomb. Sure it lacks the style and feel of EON Bond, but to me a GunBarrel doesn't make or break a movie. I rewatched this film about two months ago and was really pleasantly surprised.
    Another thing that Never Say Never Again After rewatching it yesterday - thanks to you @BAIN123 - I now think it truely is the worst of the lot.
    Ha, glad I have an impact on this forum.
    Sean Connery looks fit and like he's taking the role seriously.
    He looks just as bad as Roger Moore did at the time in my opinion. I'm not convinced by him at all.
    Fatima Blush's character is excellent
    True. I like her and the highlight of the film.
    Klaus Maria Brandauer gives a great performance as Largo--and has more dimension to his story than TB's Largo
    He's alright but no where near as good as Thunderball's Largo in my opinion - a classic Bond villain, who comes across as cold and evil.
    Max Von Siddow was a convincing Blofeld.
    He was, he just wasn't really needed for the film. But hey, I'm sure McClory had to put him in there due to owning the SPECTRE rights.
    The locations are all nice.
    I think they're bland, forgettable and underutilised.
    I particulary like the Tears of Alla set
    I don't. It's cheap and tacky.
    looks like something out of Indiana Jones.

Which is exactly why I don't like it. That point makes it even worse and so not Bondian.
    The action was entertaining
    It bored me.
    with the fight in the clinic
    This one being the prime example. One of the worst fights I've ever seen in a film. Connery is a joke.
    and the bike chase.
    I'll give you that. I like it too. Though I'd have rather had Bond in a car.
    when Bond has the host hold his cigarette case still, convincing him it's a bomb.
    I love that too. The second best moment in the film right after Bond dumping the gun in the champagne bucket. Anyway, EON missed a trick with this one.
    to me a GunBarrel doesn't make or break a movie.
    It's not just the gun barrel, so all our other points made so far.

The end of a happier note I couldn't believe Bond beds for women in the film! The joint highest with A View To A Kill.