Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Personally, I don't find any of the classicism as you chaps do in CR. To me, he was completely a different Bond in CR who's closer to the literary character albeit updated to modernity. I personally fail to see the Connery comparisons in CR.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @ClarkDevlin, I never saw the Connery comparisons either (quite frankly I find them laughable) but at least the script allowed him to showcase some humour, playfulness and levity in a natural way, most notably with Vesper. It softened his otherwise generally robotic demeanour (evidenced earlier in the film). Also, some of the sequences in the Bahamas helped to do that as well (with those German tourists and with Dimitrios).

In SF the Q and psych eval sequences did the same successfully. The MP sequences less so.
    In CR, I find the humour little to none. The daring/threatening attributes are all well done, but CR is an entry I find humourless for the most part... Although, it did have its moments like when Bond showed a victorious and malicious smirk in the aftermath of Carlos blowing himself up unknowingly. The Bahamas segment is quite terrific and very Bondian, as was his dialogue exchange with Solange.

Once we get past the train sequence, the film loses its humour for me, really. Everything becomes very pedestrian.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited December 2017 Posts: 45,489
    bondjames wrote: »
    @ClarkDevlin, I never saw the Connery comparisons either .

The one scene where he is quite reminiscent of Connery is at the very end of CR when he says the line.

The one scene where he is quite reminiscent of Connery is at the very end of CR when he says the line.
    Fair enough, although arguably they all are when they deliver the iconic line.

The one scene which does remind me a little of big Sean is actually on the balcony of the hotel, when Mathis says something about melting cold hearts. Craig's expression evoked Connery to me in 2006 for some reason (and I can't quite recollect which Connery moment I'm remembering - most likely something with Kerim in FRWL when he teases him about Tatianna). It's probably more the scene than the expression that brought back the memory.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I can t agree. I see nothing like that with Lazenby, Dalton or Brosnan. They were all more or less bad at it.
    I agree @Birdleson, particularly about early Craig (in the first two), Connery, Moore in the first two and even Dalton. I see the same attributes in all of these characterizations, although they are all just a little different due to the actors playing them. Perhaps what Craig is able to do is straddle the masculinity with a little less anger like Connery, which is something Dalton never really managed to me (I always felt like he could snap at any moment). Moore was smoother, so his approach was a little different, but it's still the same character. No doubt. Even Brosnan has a bit of that in him in GE and in parts of DAD although it's less noticeable.

---

I can t agree. I see nothing like that with Lazenby, Dalton or Brosnan. They were all more or less bad at it.
    What, you don't like "The name's Barnnd. James Baaarnd"?

In all seriousness, I agree, these three weren't all that good with delivering the line for me either.

Naah. Brozza was always good. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    royale65 wrote: »
    @royale65, one of the best moves made post-CR was getting Dan out of those Brionis and into Tom Fords. What a difference is made.

Craig's tailoring in QoS is exceptional.

@royale65, outside of all the CR suits beyond the final three-piece in Italy, I've been a big fan of the fashion in the Craig era full stop. No Bond has worn casual style better and with Tom Ford the suits recall the past in a way that is satisfying to me, as the palettes play to Dan's features while also giving respect to Sinclair and his team, with some suits being remakes of those Sean would wear, which I love. They keep a bit of timeless essence regardless of the styling in many way.

Some of the suits are tailored closer to Dan without doubt, but I personally think that those who call those suits tight haven't even seen a truly tight fitting suit. They're made to fit Dan, whose certain bulkiness must be catered to to make the looks work, so he's going to look different and require different tailoring than the leaner actors of course. I don't see anyone ever comment on the button stances of the suits and the styling of the waist, which I think is a far more valid concern than anything (I don't like seeing a dress shirt or tie through the buttoned suit coat).

This all being said, I am quite confident in the opinion that we haven't see casual style in Bond to this level since the beginning and these suits fit comfortably in a secondary position behind Sinclair's work for Sean outside of most of DAF where those looks are problematic in palette and styling. All the other eras have bigger humps to overcome than Dan's in the fashion department, and that's why I put him and his suits in the secondary position. Roger looked too much like an aristocrat and the horrid 70s styles ruined his look and put him in unsavory color matches, Tim wore suits that were far too big for him and as has been pointed out again and again, Pierce looked like a salesman and not a stylish secret agent. It's not enough to have a nice suit, but you also must carry the suit, and I think Dan has done that admirably. He's also the only Bond since Sean or George that's been dressed in things that suit both him and his version of the character, which is vital to an actor looking the part. If you don't feel at home in a suit, you're not James Bond.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 12,837
    I personally think that those who call those suits tight haven't even seen a truly tight fitting suit. They're made to fit Dan, whose certain bulkiness must be catered to to make the looks work, so he's going to look different and require different tailoring than the leaner actors of course. I don't see anyone ever comment on the button stances of the suits and the styling of the waist, which I think is a far more valid concern than anything (I don't like seeing a dress shirt or tie through the buttoned suit coat).

I don't really understand what you mean. He was definitely bigger in CR, and probably bigger in QoS than he was in SF/SP, and the suits didn't seem too tight then.

I think people comment on the tightness a lot because it's something immediately noticeable, especially in the action scenes, so it sticks out.
    Once we get past the train sequence, the film loses its humour for me, really. Everything becomes very pedestrian.

I think there's probably less humour but it still has its moments. Even the torture scene has "the whole world's gonna know that you died scratching my balls".

I love the Madagascar sequence but I think the Bahamas stuff drags a bit. Then it gets to the plot of the novel and really picks up. I'd like CR a lot better if it was shorter and I think the Bahamas and Venice scenes (no need for the sinking house) are the bits that should have been trimmed down.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 11,189
    [/quote] I'm still in favour of a cavalier Bond. Always has been. Always will be.[/quote]Conceptually so am I. Just not so much with Craig. He can do it if the writing is top notch, but otherwise it doesn't work for me because that's not something which is natural to him. I can see through it. Like he's acting it rather than embodying it.[/quote]

That's a problem I had with him in SP too. It felt like they were trying to turn him into that type of character. The narrowed-eyed smirk, the overdone swagger. It doesn't really suit him.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I personally think that those who call those suits tight haven't even seen a truly tight fitting suit. They're made to fit Dan, whose certain bulkiness must be catered to to make the looks work, so he's going to look different and require different tailoring than the leaner actors of course. I don't see anyone ever comment on the button stances of the suits and the styling of the waist, which I think is a far more valid concern than anything (I don't like seeing a dress shirt or tie through the buttoned suit coat).

I don't really understand what you mean. He was definitely bigger in CR, and probably bigger in QoS than he was in SF/SP, and the suits didn't seem too tight then.

In the case of CR, they were putting unflattering and slightly baggy and ill-fitted suits onto someone who was already very built, making Dan feel too bulgy as a rsult (this is really seen with his Bahamas suit, for example) because the suits looked like they were falling off him. What I mean is that his body type is always more suited to fits that are closer to his chest, as the bagginess of what they put him in during some of CR is more unflattering to his specific figure than the tighter fits ever could be (and I think this is true for every man, really, who is of average body type).

As for the QoS/SF, SP comparison, I don't think the difference is as pronounced as some think. The material of the suits in QoS offer up a more pleasing visual, as the fabric doesn't seem to wrinkle as much, which would give them an edge over what we see in the two newest films and I think the suits realize the hourglass figure a bit better too. But the Tom Ford suits, regardless of what film you're speaking of, are attacked from the angle that leaner fits that suit Dan's body are preferable to those that hang off him in a baggy mess.

I simply mean, you fit according to the person's body type and with Dan a fit that goes closer to the chest helps to bring out his body type in a more flattering way than a baggier fit would simply because baggy or loose fits make his bigger frame all the bigger. It's why you can see a clear delineation from the Brioni CR suits, like the Bahamas suit that is styled with beefy shoulders and wider arms that altogether give Dan's already beefy body even more unsightly beefiness:

https://bamfstyle.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/crgray-main1.jpg

And how the Tom Ford suits and styles improve upon this to suit Dan's type because the shoulders are smoothed out and made less protruding, the arms are slimmer to fit closer to him, the hourglass figure gives a better shape where the Brionis don't and the chest of the Ford suits leave less room for bagginess to form that also slims Dan's figure all the more:

https://bamfstyle.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/qos6brown-main.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fa/a7/4f/faa74fd1d39498c57185759b9cfe89e4.jpg

The jump from Brioni to Tom Ford is simply better to me, as the fits and overall style of them are more suited to Dan and I think they went wrong trying to dress Dan in Brosnan type clothes at the start. Every actor must have clothes that work for them, and you won't get that by dressing them like another person or with fits that don't appeal to their type and look. This isn't to say that closer fits are always preferable, as sometimes the tightness of suits can be taken too far. I simply think that where Dan's suits in QoS, SF and SP are concerned they hit quite nicely between those two extremes with an edge towards closer fits that favor Dan.
    @BAIN123. I'm curious to see what he does in B25. I and a few others are hoping for a return to the Craig of old, but a part of me thinks that's unlikely given his era has been a linear progression narratively and emotionally. I feel I'm either going to like his approach a lot or detest it immensely. There isn't going to be a middle ground.
    ---

Regarding the suits, just purely from my perspective there is a difference between fashion and tailoring. A well tailored suit hangs well, fits properly around the shoulders, waist, seat of the pant, has an appropriate buttoned jacket 'v' or 'x' without exposing shirt, has no bunching up around the mid section when buttoned, has a proper sleeve length, jacket collar gap and should not have sleeves wrinkling either. If it fits properly you'll know it in the way it hangs, which will be very complimentary to the wearer. There has undoubtedly been a move to a more slimmer look lately, but it's not entirely flattering on all body types. Ultimately, it's a matter of taste and one can still wear a slim fit suit which is properly tailored and meets the above critieria. It will just be cut a little closer to the body to emphasize physique. That's not what I've been seeing in the last two films. That was what we saw in QoS. Anyway to each their own. At some point we'll move on from this.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 19,339
    @BAIN123 I'm still in favour of a cavalier Bond. Always has been. Always will be.Conceptually so am I. Just not so much with Craig. He can do it if the writing is top notch, but otherwise it doesn't work for me because that's not something which is natural to him. I can see through it. Like he's acting it rather than embodying it.

That's a problem I had with him in SP too. It felt like they were trying to turn him into that type of character. The narrowed-eyed smirk, the overdone swagger. It doesn't really suit him.

When he walks up the hotel stairs in the PTS of SP and the way he spoke to M actually made me hate CraigBond for a moment.

• The M scene is one of the only bits in SP I really don't like. Badly written and badly acted. Bond had no reason not to trust him (made sense in the M is a traitor draft but should have been taken out after that), and if the idea was that Bond was protecting him they did a crap job at getting that across. He's just a dick in that scene. So smug, it's like he's winding up M just for the fun of it. And M is almost going red in the face. It's like a cocky kid seeing how far he can push a stuffy strict teacher.
    The M scene is one of the only bits in SP I really don't like. Badly written and badly acted. Bond had no reason not to trust him (made sense in the M is a traitor draft but should have been taken out after that), and if the idea was that Bond was protecting him they did a crap job at getting that across. He's just a dick in that scene. So smug, it's like he's winding up M just for the fun of it. And M is almost going red in the face. It's like a cocky kid seeing how far he can push a stuffy strict teacher.

I couldn't put that better myself,thats exactly how Bond came across,an arrogant little shit.

It was even worse in the original trailer. The 'overdue holiday' line delivery was all wrong (that idiotic snarl I've mentioned again). They fixed it somewhat for the film and for some reason I can't find the original version anywhere anymore. Almost like it's been erased.
    It was even worse in the original trailer. The 'overdue holiday' line delivery was all wrong (that idiotic snarl I've mentioned again). They fixed it somewhat for the film and for some reason I can't find the original version anywhere anymore. Almost like it's been erased.

I've still got it...when I bought SP on SKY,you get the trailer downloaded free,so I have the entire trailer permanently.
    Not that it helps much in here though :/

Thing is, @bondjames, are we sure we saw the same Gareth Mallory who was in the crossfire of Silva's goons at the conference hall? Because that Mallory risked his life for the sake of the others and even tried to save the then-current M before getting shot in the shoulder.

Bond had no reason not to trust M, and the writers should pay closer attention to these details next time. Spectre was a mess. The entire thing was only built on visuals and tropes, not on story or screenplay. When making a film, one weighs on the script/screenplay first, not announce the appearance of a new bespoke Aston Martin then write a script based on it.
    Thing is, @bondjames, are we sure we saw the same Gareth Mallory who was in the crossfire of Silva's goons at the conference hall? Because that Mallory risked his life for the sake of the others and even tried to save the then-current M before getting shot in the shoulder.

Bond had no reason not to trust M, and the writers should pay closer attention to these details next time. Spectre was a mess. The entire thing was only built on visuals and tropes, not on story or screenplay. When making a film, one weighs on the script/screenplay first, not announce the appearance of a new bespoke Aston Martin then write a script based on it.

Especially if they want a story-arc ...if you want that then do it properly or go standalone.

Excellent points @ClarkDevlin, and hopefully they've learned their lesson. We shall see. Without giving anything away, it's similar to TLJ vs. TFA, where certain character expectations which were set in the prior film were tampered with in the sequel. Generally audiences don't like being toyed with.

That announcement of the car was such a silly moment for me too, and I'm a huge car nut. Better to focus on getting a tailor to cut a few bespoke suits before wasting time on yet another car (as has been rumoured on the other thread) imho. God I miss the Cold War.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Excellent points @ClarkDevlin, and hopefully they've learned their lesson. We shall see. Without giving anything away, it's similar to TLJ vs. TFA, where certain character expectations which were set in the prior film were tampered with in the sequel. Generally audiences don't like being toyed with.

That announcement of the car was such a silly moment for me too, and I'm a huge car nut. Better to focus on getting a tailor to cut a few bespoke suits before wasting time on yet another car (as has been rumoured on the other thread) imho. God I miss the Cold War.
    Well said, old chap! Well said!
    barryt007 wrote: »

Especially if they want a story-arc ...if you want that then do it properly or go standalone.
    Exactly. They tried to rush things with Spectre and introduce what they call "epic!" movement by shoehorning everything from every past Bond trope and every admired element from the pop culture, then squeeze it to one film based on Daniel Craig's contract who at the time wasn't willing to do another, much like Brosnan post-TWINE.

It doesn't work that way. You said it best, mate!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    It's actually not a matter of Bond not trusting M.

M is compelling Bond to give him all the detail. Bond knows better, that his utility as a double-oh is to act in MI6's (and therefore M's) best interests, sometimes in spite of his superiors. M knowing what Bond knows would them both in an impossible situation as 9 Eyes ramps up, he'd be obligated to share the Intel and be shut down with Bond at a time when they need the freedom to act. Or commit treason and be shut down.

By the time of the scene with M at the restaurant, M has understood these things. He's no longer trying to keep tabs on Bond and hamstring them both. He started with good intentions and decent expectations of Bond as his superior. Now he's learned to trust Bond.

This makes perfect sense to me as good storytelling, showcasing the value of OO7. And it's standard formula for Bond to be treated like a red-beaded stepchild, even in films like THUNDERBALL. It's not supposed to be easy.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    The whole thing would have been better off with M giving the folder to Bond at the end of Skyfall that was the assignment to find Sciarra. It would have put the whole trust thing to bed and still have continuity.
    You do make good points, @RichardTheBruce. Although, I doubt they have thought of the script that way and just went along with M giving Bond a lecture and like the other chaps stated, it may have derived from the original idea of Mallory being the traitor, so he ranted to save his own skin.

Your reasons do make sense... but they don't display it in the film that way.
    Bond has had a somewhat rebellious relationship with M at times in the earlier films as well, it's certainly true. I've always preferred it when the disagreements have been addressed with more of a wink, as per Connery in TB/FRWL and Moore in TMWTGG in particular. It makes for a more enjoyable viewing experience for me.

I found the SP experience somewhat contentious and abrasive in tone. It was a little jarring.
    @bondjames, one of the earlier drafts was even worse when M actually went lunatic with the rant and Bond indirectly threatened to kill him.
    @bondjames, one of the earlier drafts was even worse when M actually went lunatic with the rant and Bond indirectly threatened to kill him.
    Unbelievable! I don't know what these people were smoking back then, but hopefully they've given it up.
    It's actually not a matter of Bond not trusting M.

M is compelling Bond to give him all the detail. Bond knows better, that his utility as a double-oh is to act in MI6's (and therefore M's) best interests, sometimes in spite of his superiors. M knowing what Bond knows would them both in an impossible situation as 9 Eyes ramps up, he'd be obligated to share the Intel and be shut down with Bond at a time when they need the freedom to act. Or commit treason and be shut down.

By the time of the scene with M at the restaurant, M has understood these things. He's no longer trying to keep tabs on Bond and hamstring them both. He started with good intentions and decent expectations of Bond as his superior. Now he's learned to trust Bond.

This makes perfect sense to me as good storytelling, showcasing the value of OO7. And it's standard formula for Bond to be treated like a red-beaded stepchild, even in films like THUNDERBALL. It's not supposed to be easy.

One of the sane voices RE: SP, @RichardTheBruce.

In a general sense, I see that scene as a testament to Bond's loyalty and also his uncertainty. He gets a tape with a mission from his old boss, really his true boss, even beyond her death, and so he's naturally conflicted about just what he must do. Clearly M and her wishes are important to him and because he cared for her so much he's going to honor her intel and request and look into Sciarra the best he can. Was it right to do so behind Mallory's back? That can be argued, but I can't really blame Bond. Sure the two have eased off their initial rockiness together but Bond by no means views Mallory with even a tenth of the respect or admiration as he did Dench's M nor has he had the time to build such a dynamic. Bond is caught between the old boss he respected and trusted and the new one he barely knows, so of course Dench's M wins out.

Mallory was also lost amidst the MI5 merger at the time and Bond certainly wasn't going to pile onto him with news of M's secret video cryptically commanding him to go after a man he knew nothing about until that point. What exactly would Mallory have done then? Call Bond a nutter who was crazy enough to go after a man just because his dead boss said so? Or maybe he'd lock Bond's wrists up and put him off active duty because he couldn't trust Bond's allegiance to Dench M and couldn't count on him following his orders as his new superior. On top of that, maybe Mallory wouldn't even believe that Sciarra was a red target or anyone worth seeking out. In the end, I think Bond had to go it alone and keep things mum simply because he's more familiar than any other Bond about how much bureaucracy and superiors hold you back from doing the right thing. He tried to do the right thing in QoS and they tied his wrists and other governments tried to silence him from standing against corruption, so he's played this game before and knows that it's best to travel in secret and at times circumvent red tape.

People are critical of Bond's attitude in the meeting-I personally think he was just dryly dismissive as Sean could be and Tim's Bond went at his M way worse with fire and fury-but I don't think Mallory was quite professional either. Shouting Bond down when the man saved an entire stadium of innocents from being blown up isn't exactly the reaction I'd expect for such a commitment. SP quite softly but nicely plants the idea that Mallory is an awkward leader, and not entirely focused on what's important or on the people who serve him. He is so lost in the job that he is oblivious to Moneypenny's birthday and his short temper with Bond and his inability to see his agent's side of things shows that he's not as objective a leader as he could be.

There's so many ways in which Mallory fails where Dench's M would've risen to the occasion, and that is made obvious by the script. An important moment proving this comes when the 00 program is closed down and all Mallory can say to everyone around him is a regurgitation of a meek French proverb. If Dench's M was in the same situation and her credentials and work was being threatened she'd have given a scathing and cursed ridden diatribe about bureaucrats and the duty of spies like she did in SF, accept this time the eloquence of a Tennyson stanza would be replaced by the anger she felt for the good of the people being sabotaged. It's no wonder Bond isn't as easy to jump on with Mallory post-Dench M. What leadership is he intended to follow behind, exactly?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I think Mallory is excellent, a good boss, but also on learning curve to be in charge of double-ohs. Similar to Bond's state in CASINO ROYALE, evolving and ascending into the position. Again, good for the story. And M dressing down Bond in frustration is a staple of all Ms, invoking outraged chefs, humiliated tailors and more.

Previously in QUANTUM OF SOLACE, Bond can't be defending himself at every turn--when it does appear he's killing every contact he meets though he isn't. Instead he focuses on the mission while everything's in turmoil at the home office, moves forward. And he does not stop, even when he's literally handed over his Walther and "in custody" of a group of agents.

That's what I see in SPECTRE. There's a reason Bond comes into his own in the field, and there's a reason M is stuck at the home office with the bureaucrats. I definitely see mutual respect between them, understanding, I saw it established. Now that that's set, more elements of the traditional film formula will play out in BOND 25.