Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    After the gunbarrel, have the dot disappear and open on the hallway but without the music cue. Just like in FRWL, the screen goes black and opens on the garden.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited December 2017 Posts: 45,489
    Remington wrote: »
    After the gunbarrel, have the dot disappear and open on the hallway but without the music cue. Just like in FRWL, the screen goes black and opens on the garden.

Or just zoom in on Bond in the gunbarrel, and there is the opening of SF with Bond coming towards the camera, gun raised. That might have been cool, and original.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,533
    Remington wrote: »

Or just zoom in on Bond in the gunbarrel, and there is the opening of SF with Bond coming towards the camera, gun raised. That might have been cool, and original.

Kind of like Roger Moore in the trailers. That would've been awesome.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I didn t think of that, but yes.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @royale65, one of the best moves made post-CR was getting Dan out of those Brionis and into Tom Fords. What a difference is made.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    OHMSS

First viewing in a few months. It went great as always. There's much to like of course, and very little not to like. Lazenby really is very good in this film. His swagger and confidence is quite impressive, as is his vulnerability in key moments. Of course he has the benefit of a superb cast, most notably Diana Rigg who elevates the film in every scene she's in. Gabrielle Ferzetti is also highly watchable as Draco, and provides a lot of the film's levity. I've never been all that impressed with Savalas as Blofeld (there's something a bit too American about him - perhaps because I know him most from Kojak), but I'll concede that he's the best of the non faceless film Blofelds.

What I really like about this film are the action sequences. They are cut in a manner which bring pace and energy. John Glen (2nd unit director here) used to do this well in his films also, but I feel the difference in OHMSS is that the action is filmed in a manner which delivers perspective and context. One is fully aware of the surroundings and is able to absorb the environment here, and I suppose cinematographer Michael Reed is responsible for that. Some of the shots in this film (most notably in Switzerland but also earlier) are truly awe inspiring. Barry's sublime score (his best imho) is at once romantic, suspenseful and melodic. Lazenby's tall, lean yet muscular physique is quite impressive (this is how I imagine Bond to be in terms of form and athleticism) and he wears those Dimi Major suits (which are beautifully cut to emphasize his shape) with grace. We've sadly come a long way from that level of quality these days imho, and I certainly hope that we get back to this level of natural style and suave post recast.

What don't I like? Well not much really. The film drags a little mid stream at Piz Gloria as Bond beds a few 'angels' and ingratiates himself with Blofeld, but once his disguise is blown the film picks up nicely and maintains an elevated pace all the way to its heartbreaking final moments. Also, I noticed today that good though Laz is physically, he lacks that cheeky wink & charming cool that Connery and Moore were so good at naturally conveying. I think that is an important part of the Bond film character, and must be retained and perhaps even emphasized in future iterations, at least for this viewer. Great film overall and having enjoyed it again today I can't understand why they decided to bring the character of Blofeld back in 2015. Just let him be please, and let this story be too. It's been done well enough already. No need for pseudo remakes or reimaginations.
    bondjames wrote: »
    OHMSS

First viewing in a few months. It went great as always. There's much to like of course, and very little not to like. Lazenby really is very good in this film. His swagger and confidence is quite impressive, as is his vulnerability in key moments. Of course he has the benefit of a superb cast, most notably Diana Rigg who elevates the film in every scene she's in. Gabrielle Ferzetti is also highly watchable as Draco, and provides a lot of the film's levity. I've never been all that impressed with Savalas as Blofeld (there's something a bit too American about him - perhaps because I know him most from Kojak), but I'll concede that he's the best of the non faceless film Blofelds.

What I really like about this film are the action sequences. They are cut in a manner which bring pace and energy. John Glen (2nd unit director here) used to do this well in his films also, but I feel the difference in OHMSS is that the action is filmed in a manner which delivers perspective and context. One is fully aware of the surroundings and is able to absorb the environment here, and I suppose cinematographer Michael Reed is responsible for that. Some of the shots in this film (most notably in Switzerland but also earlier) are truly awe inspiring. Barry's sublime score (his best imho) is at once romantic, suspenseful and melodic. Lazenby's tall, lean yet muscular physique is quite impressive (this is how I imagine Bond to be in terms of form and athleticism) and he wears those Dimi Major suits (which are beautifully cut to emphasize his shape) with grace. We've sadly come a long way from that level of quality these days imho, and I certainly hope that we get back to this level of natural style and suave post recast.

What don't I like? Well not much really. The film drags a little mid stream at Piz Gloria as Bond beds a few 'angels' and ingratiates himself with Blofeld, but once his disguise is blown the film picks up nicely and maintains an elevated pace all the way to its heartbreaking final moments. Also, I noticed today that good though Laz is physically, he lacks that cheeky wink & charming cool that Connery and Moore were so good at naturally conveying. I think that is an important part of the Bond film character, and must be retained and perhaps even emphasized in future iterations, at least for this viewer. Great film overall and having enjoyed it again today I can't understand why they decided to bring the character of Blofeld back in 2015. Just let him be please, and let this story be too. It's been done well enough already. No need for pseudo remakes or reimaginations.

Saving my viewing for Xmas eve or day. Agree with you totally re action scenes. They hold up really well to todays movies. The fights, the ski chase, the stock car sequence and that fabulous bobsled finale! Genuine thrilling set pieces!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    OHMSS

Saving my viewing for Xmas eve or day. Agree with you totally re action scenes. They hold up really well to todays movies. The fights, the ski chase, the stock car sequence and that fabulous bobsled finale! Genuine thrilling set pieces!
    That's a great day to view it actually. I'll probably be taking in a double bill of DH/DH2 then if I can.

These guys were way ahead of the curve back then with the action. It's one of many elements that put the EON team on another level in comparison to contemporary fare. Revisiting these old films one is always amazed by the quality and attention to details in so many areas. Thrilling stuff which rightly created a film legend. As with anything great though, it's difficult to maintain that edge and over time some of that is inevitably (and regrettably) lost.
    I think latter action unit directors like Arthur Wooster and Dan Bradley did some good stuff. Not so much Vic Armstrong, whose set pieces went on too long and a bit samey. Alexander Witt doesnt always do it for me either (the airport scene from CR a case in point) but the pts of SF and SP were prettty good!
    I like Arthur Wooster's work. Not too keen on Vic Armstrong or Alexander Witt either.

I agree on the SF PTS. That was a really well formulated non linear sequence with lots of different vehicles and concurrent action cutting back and forth. I wasn't impressed at all with the SP PTS apart from the tracking shot, which I assume was Mendes. The rest of it was pedestrian and overly CGI infested imho, particularly the copter sequence.
    I like Arthur Wooster's work. Not too keen on Vic Armstrong or Alexander Witt either.

I agree on the SF PTS. That was a really well formulated non linear sequence with lots of different vehicles and concurrent action cutting back and forth. I wasn't impressed at all with the SP PTS apart from the tracking shot, which I assume was Mendes. The rest of it was pedestrian and overly CGI infested imho, particularly the copter sequence.

Same here,i think its totally over-rated,except the part of CraigBond stalking along the rooftops,which also has a good score.

This made me think that there would be a good score throughout SP when I first saw it at the cinema.

Boy did I get that wrong.

barryt007 wrote: »
    This made me think that there would be a good score throughout SP when I first saw it at the cinema.

Boy did I get that wrong.
    Having just viewed OHMSS last night I can see what Newman was trying to do in the PTS. Barry also did that in a few places in the earlier film, namely seguing a film specific version of the Bond theme into his own composition after a sequence in the film. It's just that Newman's composition wasn't all that good.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    @royale65, one of the best moves made post-CR was getting Dan out of those Brionis and into Tom Fords. What a difference is made.

Craig's tailoring in QoS is exceptional.
  • royale65 wrote: »

I'm hoping they take inspiration from Kingsman for the suits from now on. More old school but still cool in a timeless way. The skinny fit prom suits will age badly, just like Moore's bell bottoms, Brosnan's banker suits and Dalton's baggy clothes have. CR is only ten years old and we're already talking about how dated some of the outfits seem with how baggy they are. They need to learn to stop following trends and go for a more timeless look imo.

I have really liked the casual wear choices of the Craig films though, the polos in CR/QoS, the winterwear in SP, that sort of thing. Always looks good.
    royale65 wrote: »

I'm hoping they take inspiration from Kingsman for the suits from now on. More old school but still cool in a timeless way. The skinny fit prom suits will age badly, just like Moore's bell bottoms, Brosnan's banker suits and Dalton's baggy clothes have. CR is only ten years old and we're already talking about how dated some of the outfits seem with how baggy they are. They need to learn to stop following trends and go for a more timeless look imo.
    I quite agree. I'd prefer a move back to Savile Row bespoke tailoring. It's a privilege to see the suits in some of the earlier films and how they're cut and hang off the actor's body. Of course one needs a certain build in order to best wear a suit as well, which is why a little more height and less width is preferable going forward. Irrespective, what they're doing these days with the suit dept. is beyond embarrassing as far as I'm concerned.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I actually like Brosnan's suits in TWINE and DAD quite a lot.

Regarding Kingsman, Eggsy's suits are too tight. I can't stand tight pants, so I hope Bond strafes away from it.

Regarding Kingsman, Eggsy's suits are too tight. I can't stand tight pants, so I hope Bond strafes away from it.
    It's partly Temime and it's partly Craig. My understanding is that's what he likes. Tight pants and suit. So I can't see it disappearing for B25. Temime is most likely back because she worked on that Film Stars flick.

It's partly Temime and it's partly Craig. My understanding is that's what he likes. Tight pants and suit. So I can't see it disappearing for B25. Temime is most likely back because she worked on that Film Stars flick.
    I know, sadly we won't see that changing as long as Craig is Bond. Although, I was referring to the next era, which I hope won't go on with this tight pants trend. I find tight clothing quite upsetting when it comes to menswear.

I know, sadly we won't see that changing as long as Craig is Bond. Although, I was referring to the next era, which I hope won't go on with this tight pants trend. I find tight clothing quite upsetting when it comes to menswear.
    Agreed, although I'm a bit less worried for the next actor. As long as he's over 6ft and has a reasonable frame, anything will look better than what we have now. Hopefully the Kingsman have given some impetus to clean it up over there. It's ridiculous when Bond doesn't look as well tailored as any other English character in a competing franchise in a suit, at least imho. It's of course far from being the be all and end all of the character, but it's an important element of the mystique.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Yes, I think once they announced Craig as Bond for #25, I pretty much knew after that Bond 25 will not live up to even modest expectations. However you feel about SP, chances are we will get more of the same with Bond 25, even if they do abandon continuity.
    Agreed with you both.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 4,422
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I'mpickung up slight signs that lessons may have been learned. At least I have some hope for B25.

Purvis and Wade have gone on record saying that the personal crap angle has been played out. (Though buggered if I can find the quote)
    I have a good feeling about Bond 25. I think they will want to go all-out, especially if EON is leaving.
    And that cryptic line from Craig that he wanted to end on a high. Which I take to mean that he realizes that SP was not that, by any means.

Just because he realises that SP wasn't a high doesn't mean he knows what it is.
    Getting rid of the personal crap is big, but let's hope they learned a few other lessons as well: greatly limit the involvement of The Scooby Gang, no more awkwardly trying to retrofit continuity with a goal of tying the era together, and Craig needs to give up on the "nonchalance" thing. It doesn't work for him, he needs to come off as a ball of manic intensity. It would be like asking Roger to do the torture chair scene from CR.

That's a great point. When I saw the SPECTRE trailer I was worried about Craig's deliveries. Then I thought it may just be that they chose a different version for the trailer than the film. In some cases that proved to be true. Nevertheless, SP is comfortably Craig's worst performance. And I'm personally in favour of a cavalier Bond.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I'm still in favour of a cavalier Bond. Always have been. Always will be.
    Getting rid of the personal crap is big, but let's hope they learned a few other lessons as well: greatly limit the involvement of The Scooby Gang, no more awkwardly trying to retrofit continuity with a goal of tying the era together, and Craig needs to give up on the "nonchalance" thing. It doesn't work for him, he needs to come off as a ball of manic intensity. It would be like asking Roger to do the torture chair scene from CR.
    I agree, but something I've noticed about him as he's aged is even the manic intensity is not working all that well. It's coming around a bit nasty (and a bit of that is in the facial expressions and lines). I hope he can deliver that intensity (which is his trademark as an actor) with the same effortless quality that he brought in his first two entries.
    I'm still in favour of a cavalier Bond. Always has been. Always will be.
    Conceptually so am I. Just not so much with Craig. He can do it if the writing is top notch, but otherwise it doesn't work for me because that's not something which is natural to him. I can see through it. Like he's acting it rather than embodying it.
    Conceptually so am I. Just not so much with Craig. He can do it if the writing is top notch, but otherwise it doesn't work for me because that's not something which is natural to him. I can see through it. Like he's acting it rather than embodying it.
    It's all about direction and execution, in my opinion. Mendes doesn't have what it takes. Now, put a director who knows Bond like the back of his hand and has made quite a load of credible films to hold a candle to the plateau he wants to stand on, I think Craig will have that nonchalant superiority of the generic Bond character made popular by the film franchise.
    It's all about direction and execution, in my opinion. Mendes doesn't have what it takes. Now, put a director who knows Bond like the back of his hand and has made quite a load of credible films to hold a candle to the plateau he wants to stand on, I think Craig will have that nonchalant superiority of the generic Bond character made popular by the film franchise.
    I don't think he'll ever be credible with me in this respect (at least not to the level of some his illustrious predecessors from whom it emanated naturally), but it would certainly go a long way towards selling it, as CR did.