Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I think that if someone had told me that it was not an official Bond film, I wouldn't know the difference
    I agree, and especially these days. I can appreciate how it might have been different in 1983, when Barry, Maxwell and Llewelyn were still around, but certainly not now. We even lost the Bond theme and the gunbarrel for a time, all of which helps to make NSNA seem more canon than ever before.

Bottom line: it is a highly successful non-EON Bond film, and nobody can ever take that away from it.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think that if someone had told me that it was not an official Bond film, I wouldn't know the difference
    I agree, and especially these days. I can appreciate how it might have been different in 1983, when Barry, Maxwell and Llewelyn were still around, but certainly not now. We even lost the Bond theme and the gunbarrel for a time, all of which helps to make NSNA seem more canon than ever before.

Bottom line: it is a highly successful non-EON Bond film, and nobody can ever take that away from it.

I'll wager many fans back then didn't know the difference really, though it was a competing Bond film.
    I remember as we left the cinema, I asked my Dad why he thought this film didn't have the gunbarrel, and Bond Theme. His response was he felt the film was attempting to be more of an adaptation and update of the Thunderball novel rather than trying to fit in with the other films. Hence the logos and music were not necessary.
    Funny thing, I can remember that Saturday afternoon like it was yesterday.
    Just starting On Her Majesty's Secret Service; I love watching this one in December. Probably the last Bond film I will watch before my backwards marathon in January.
    Nice! Always the perfect Bond film for this time of year. It's my kind of Christmas movie!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Nice! Always the perfect Bond film for this time of year. It's my kind of Christmas movie!

+1
    I always forget to do that. I’ll take care of it now.
  • GBFGBF
    Tomorrow never dies

Yesterday evening my girl friend and I watched the 2nd Brosnan film. She and her parents will stay in the Hotel Atlantic in Hamburg during the Christmas days. So I proposed that we should watch the respective Bond film so that she can explore some Bond locations when she will be there.

The film does not really do much for me. It has few very weak scenes but has also hardly anything great why I hardly ever watch it. I don't really like the locations in the film, as well as the action scenes. The only interesting character is Dr. Kaufmann who is on screen for less than five minutes.

I was, however, curious whether my girl friend liked TND or not. She usually prefers the rather lighthearted and ironic Bond films with witty dialouge and more comedic action scenes. She also used to watch Remington Steele when she was a child and therefore actually has a soft spot for Brosnan.

However, she did not enjoy the film as much as I expected. She found that there was too much pointless machine gunning and explosions. She found Paris Carver extremely uncharismatic, was disappointed by Brosnan's acting and thought that the villain was too OTT. She also had to laugh when she heard about his motivation "exclusive broadcasting rights in China". She liked the Bond girl and some of the actions scenes. Especially the car chase in Hamburg and the scene when Bond and Lin jump out of the Carver Tower in Saigon.

I also found the film quite a bit dated since the internet (the new mass media) is not really mentioned in the film. The plot is also rather weak and there is hardly anything unpredictable in the film. The stealth boat finally also does not impress me much.

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Licence to Kill

It has always been my least favorite Bond film, but last night something changed. I highly enjoyed it. Dalton is actually quite good in it. I really took notice for the first time of him during every piece of dialogue and he really is just an 80s Daniel Craig. Some pieces seemed cheesy to me, in particular the bar fight, which for me seemed to be the most out of place scene in a Bond film. I'm fairly certain I had seen Patrick Swayze in his scrotum tight jeans in the background somewhere. The Isthmus City scenes are fantastic and the scenes between Bond and Sanchez were done very well. You see a man who Bond wants to kill for revenge and does everything he can no to.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    LTK would work much better at 100 minutes. The love triangle, random ninja tangent and Q's visit all slow the film to a near standstill in the middle.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @GBF, I've had an odd itch to watch TND lately for some inexplicable reason, even though it typically falls around 19th/20th position for me.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    The Man With The Golden Gun

I could’ve watched Golden Gun a couple of times via my linking system. First with SF, as Severine and Andrea have a few parallels, and the literary Scaramanga had subtle homosexual traits, similar to Silva.

Could have watched Golden Gun after GF – both villains have golden gun and lasers!

Both Sir Rog and Chris Lee are bloody superb. The dialogue, their chemistry, their rapport, lifts Golden Gun to another level. Unfortunately the film never reaches those heights again. A rather enjoyable romp, but not one of Commander Bond’s finest.

Royale’s Ranking, Bondathon October 2017

1. Skyfall
    2. Goldfinger
    3. Tomorrow Never Dies
    4. The World Is Not Enough
    5. GoldenEye
    6. Diamonds Are Forever
    7. Die Another Day
    8. The Man With The Golden Gun

Next up, Live and Let Die – linked to Golden Gun thusly – Bond has a fetish over locking birds up in his closet. Both have that grimy, urban feel. Both have several cast and crew in common.
    I'm really excited to begin my backwards Bondathon starting January 1 with a friend. I have never done a backwards one before - just several straightforward ones and one that was totally out-of-order. I imagine I'll go back to the traditional one in the time leading up to Bond 25.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Licence to Kill

It has always been my least favorite Bond film, but last night something changed. I highly enjoyed it. Dalton is actually quite good in it. I really took notice for the first time of him during every piece of dialogue and he really is just an 80s Daniel Craig. Some pieces seemed cheesy to me, in particular the bar fight, which for me seemed to be the most out of place scene in a Bond film. I'm fairly certain I had seen Patrick Swayze in his scrotum tight jeans in the background somewhere. The Isthmus City scenes are fantastic and the scenes between Bond and Sanchez were done very well. You see a man who Bond wants to kill for revenge and does everything he can no to.

Welcome to the dark side lol.
    LTK > TLD
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    LTK > TLD

I would say that if for no other reason than Sanchez, but I do love TLD.
    TLD is a mostly decent Bond film, but it lacks strong villains. Necros is the best and he’s really just okay. Sanchez is one of the best villains of the series, and to me the revenge story about Felix in LTK is more engaging.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Enjoy both, but would faster see LTK most of the time.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    LTK is an excellent non traditional Bond film. Always a blast. I much prefer it to QoS, despite the cheesy 80's moments.
  • GBFGBF
    I understand if someone prefers LTK over TLD but I think that TLD is one of the absolute best Bond films. It definately has one of the best plots. It was a fresh entry with a great Dalton which still kept some of the Bond traditions. This is my main complaint about LTK. It may be a solid undercover agent story but rather feels like Miami Vice or Lethal Weapon since it lacks almost all Bondian elements. It has a great villain but apart from than that there are not too many interesting characters (maybe Dario). The locations are extremely bland and forgettable whereas TLD has very interesting and well shot locations (like Vienna, Tangier...). I also much more like plots that deal with the Cold War instead of personal Vendettas and drug lords. The score is also much better in TLD and the tone much more constant. I may admit, however, that LTK has the stronger climax, even though I like the one in TLD, too.

Licence to Kill

Has it moved up in your rankings ?
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 19,339
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Considering it came out at the same time as OP (I was 13 that year and remember it all well still) you wouldn't think they were the same year ,as NSNA has dated so much more than OP,which is still a great watch.

@barryt007, that seems to be the case with a lot of Bond films (or any, really) that have an aspect of technology to them that dates them to their original time of release. GE is a great example, as it's one of the most dated Bonds of all with its focus on that era's computer systems that are hilarious to see in this day and age. Part of what makes the 60s films more timeless than many of the films that came decades after is that they didn't have that focus on tech and were very finely grounded spy thrillers when all was said and done. It also helped that those films predated the crazy tech world of today, where no crazy gadgets could be implemented. As a Luddite, I think that's part of why I love those films so much; they were simple and didn't get held back by too much of what the films focus on these days (and spy stories of today in general).

It'll be interesting to see how SF dates with its own tech focus, though I fear it will actually be more appreciated as a warning sign of the times to come and the negative effects of technology in our lives. In other ways, it could feel as dated to future generations as the technology in GE or NSNA appears to us now, which is a crazy thought.

That's a very good point.

The 60's were a time when a man had to rely on his instinct and wits,not a mouse and a mobile phone.

Can you imagine LazenbyBond in OHMSS being chased by SPECTRE ?
    "I've got to contact London !!"

*Picks up lovely new mobile/cell phone and dials 44 etc etc*
    *Film ends*
    LTK > TLD

Definately.
    By a massive margin, to me.

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Licence to Kill

To 23.
    Licence to Kill

To 23.

Which film is 24 ,just out of curiosity ?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Barry, I feel the same about Carrey Lowell as you do about Kara Milovy, hehe...

As much as I don't like the actress that plays Sanchez's mistress, she should have been the main Bond girl of LTK. They could have done a FRWL type thing where the girl is torn between loyalties.

As much as I don't like the actress that plays Sanchez's mistress, she should have been the main Bond girl of LTK. They could have done a FRWL type thing where the girl is torn between loyalties.

I had a serious crush on Pam....still do !!

latest?cb=20131210052317

edited December 2017 Posts: 4,425

For Your Eyes Only.

For the record, I don't believe in good or bad Bond films. My rankings are usually done by preference, watchability and favoritism.
    Licence to Kill

To 23.

• edited December 2017 Posts: 19,339

For Your Eyes Only.

For the record, I don't believe in good or bad Bond films. My rankings are usually done by preference, watchability and favoritism.
    Licence to Kill

To 23.

Same here, for the watchability and personal preference factor,there is no 'bad' Bond film,as you said.
    They're like pizza and sex, remember? Good, even when they're bad.

I had a serious crush on Pam....still do !!

latest?cb=20131210052317

What's not to like about Pam! Dalton's best Bond girl, really.