Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• edited July 2017 Posts: 17,333
    Why not LALD/AVTAK? Both set in the US, plus Moore s first and last.

Ooh, that's a good one! With New York, New Orleans AND San Francisco, you'd almost get a "Bond on tour" in the US. :-)

bondjames wrote: »
    All this talk about AVTAK makes me want to see it again.
    I'm thinking of doing the same, also on account of these excellent reviews and discussion of the film. I've never been all that impressed with AVTAK or Stacy really. I've always found the film a bit underwhelming, pedestrian & even sadly a bit geriatric in a way (it's particularly apparent at the Ascot scene).

Still, all these positive comments are compelling me to give it another viewing!

I find AVTAK partly underwhelming. Don't know why, really. The plot itself is OK, a dangerous villain in Christopher Walken, one of the best theme songs and a solid score. It's not Moore's best performance, but he's still very good. Stacy never bothered me to much, either. Can it be the mid-80's setting that makes it look dated? The 60's look great in a mid-century way, the 70's is all funky an colourful, with Moore driving around in the Lotus Esprit etc. The 80's is... well, the 80's.

Looking forward to give AVTAK another viewing. There are plenty of good moments there too!
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 11,189
    , New Orleans AND San Francisco, you'd almost get a "Bond on tour" in the US. :-)

I'm thinking of doing the same, also on account of these excellent reviews and discussion of the film. I've never been all that impressed with AVTAK or Stacy really. I've always found the film a bit underwhelming, pedestrian & even sadly a bit geriatric in a way (it's particularly apparent at the Ascot scene).

Still, all these positive comments are compelling me to give it another viewing!

I find AVTAK partly underwhelming. Don't know why, really. The plot itself is OK, a dangerous villain in Christopher Walken, one of the best theme songs and a solid score. It's not Moore's best performance, but he's still very good. Stacy never bothered me to much, either. Can it be the mid-80's setting that makes it look dated? The 60's look great in a mid-century way, the 70's is all funky an colourful, with Moore driving around in the Lotus Esprit etc. The 80's is... well, the 80's.

Looking forward to give AVTAK another viewing. There are plenty of good moments there too!

I used to love it too (partly because it was made the year I was born). But, in recent times, I've always considered it a film with a few good aspects but decidedly limp overall. When I saw it relatively recently I was a bit bored part during parts of it.

You get the impression that the film-makers are making it partly because they have to rather than because they actually want to. It also features too many stereotype characters and some genuinely appallingly edited action in places.

Moore's ok but his "letchy" behaviour goes too far sometimes to the point where you feel kind of uncomfortable.

As for Walken, he's alright but I'd put Scaramanga, Kananga, Stromberg, Drax and Kamhl Kahn above him. He's good but he has too many odd moments...and not odd in a good way ("you jeopardise MINE").

Perhaps under a more dynamic director it could have been a stronger film.

My favourite aspect of the film is still the Wine with Stacey track. Love the nostalgic feel to it.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    , New Orleans AND San Francisco, you'd almost get a "Bond on tour" in the US. :-)

You get the impression that the film-makers are making it partly because they have to rather than because they actually want to.

Definitely agree with this.

Much as it's harmlessly enjoyable the film is like an old footballer asked to perform again even though they're legs have gone and they're well past their glory years.

There's some decent scenes in it and performances are all good but there's a tiredness that permeates the film in that there's nothing particularly original or exciting.

Luckily Dalton was waiting in the wings to rejuvenate the series. (At least for one film anyway!)
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Moore was frankly the subject of parody too:

• edited July 2017 Posts: 684
    The last 3rd of AVTAK is mainly action you say? Well the same generalization applies to Goldeneye then.
    @BondAficionado Apologies, that was stupidly phrased on my part. Of course the last third of AVTAK is mostly action — that's true of the third acts of Bond films in general. I didn't mean to target the third act itself for criticism, to say that because the last third of AVTAK is mostly action that this somehow diminishes the film. Rather, the nature of Bond third acts being what they are does no favors to a character who to the point has been sold as an ordinary woman who recognizes she is somewhat in over her head and is doing her best to bluff the opposition.

I come away from the film with the feeling that had Bond not gotten involved Stacey would have ended up caving to Zorin. Over Bond's quiche dinner, she fully admits she hadn't made up her mind. Tearing up the check is done ex post facto. Nothing she does in the final act makes me think she would've continued to refuse Zorin, which is my beef. The third act was the opportunity to resolve that and show she's capable of carrying through. "Is she bluffing or can she follow through?" is a question which we should be asking (and she herself should be too) for the first couple acts and which should've been satisfactorily answered in the final one. Alas that opportunity is squandered.
    Also, what does Natalya do post hacking the satellite? Now you're going to say that she saved Bond's life with the chopper, which is a fact, but Stacy also saves Bond's life on the GG bridge by attacking Zorin inside the blimp, which makes it stay put.
    Well, IIRC it's Bond who makes the blimp stay in place initially by tying down the mooring rope. I'll grant you that Stacey is proactive in attacking Zorin. But she doesn't seem to have much of a plan besides wrestling with him and yelling, "Stop it!" over and over. It's more happy accident (i.e. excuse for the ensuing bridge fight) that her actions crash the blimp into the bridge. I'd say the difference with Natalya is that in commandeering the chopper she had a plan.

But again my main purpose in comparing Stacey to Natalya was less to observe what they were physically given to do and more in terms of character. Natalya's final act of GE lives up to her character. The film is largely concerned not only with how she exists in Bond's world but also how she exists in a man's world — she's a "second level" programmer compared to her male colleague and foil Boris, Alec objectifies her, etc. In fact, her "boys with toys" line points how her character is a fish out of water in a male/female way and not just in an ordinary world/Bond's world way.

I won't argue that's she entirely absolved of being a damsel in distress character (the tank chase and train scene), but at least her serving as such happens in the middle of the film instead of at the end, and this allows her character the opportunity to get her own back (which unlike Stacey she does).
    Rocksalt is normally, like you said, not used for killing but used as a deterrent. However, rocksalt can be considered lethal if you're in close range to your victim. That's why I pointed out that she might of killed Bond had she shot him.
    Fair point. Again, I see the action of loading the shotgun with rocksalt as more of a metaphorically revealing character moment.
    I don't find the screaming annoying, but I can see why others get pissed off at it. Some of us appreciate the realism given to her character, whereas others would rather see her shut up and make the film lifeless and empty.
    As I said, it certainly is realistic. Packing it all into the final act serves to dial up the frequency. Perhaps it would've gone down better spread through the whole film? I'm not sure.

To the point, however, it's not just about the screaming in terror. It's also about the "Oh, James"-ing and the banal "Stop that! What are you, crazy?" murmurs and shouts that betray a lack of purpose for the character in that final act.
    Btw, how did Natalya know how to use a gun with such confidence??
    Point and pull the trigger. ;)

Seriously, I don't hate AVTAK. (It used to be my favorite Bond film when I was about 14 or 15). It's not Glen's best, certainly, but it's not his weakest either. And compared to a whole film of Kara or Pam, I'll take Stacey.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Strog wrote: »
    The last 3rd of AVTAK is mainly action you say? Well the same generalization applies to Goldeneye then.
    @BondAficionado Apologies, that was stupidly phrased on my part. Of course the last third of AVTAK is mostly action — that's true of the third acts of Bond films in general. I didn't mean to target the third act itself for criticism, to say that because the last third of AVTAK is mostly action that this somehow diminishes the film. Rather, the nature of Bond third acts being what they are does no favors to a character who to the point has been sold as an ordinary woman who recognizes she is somewhat in over her head and is doing her best to bluff the opposition.

I come away from the film with the feeling that had Bond not gotten involved Stacey would have ended up caving to Zorin. Over Bond's quiche dinner, she fully admits she hadn't made up her mind. Tearing up the check is done ex post facto. Nothing she does in the final act makes me think she would've continued to refuse Zorin, which is my beef. The third act was the opportunity to resolve that and show she's capable of carrying through. "Is she bluffing or can she follow through?" is a question which we should be asking (and she herself should be too) for the first couple acts and which should've been satisfactorily answered in the final one. Alas that opportunity is squandered.
    Also, what does Natalya do post hacking the satellite? Now you're going to say that she saved Bond's life with the chopper, which is a fact, but Stacy also saves Bond's life on the GG bridge by attacking Zorin inside the blimp, which makes it stay put.
    Well, IIRC it's Bond who makes the blimp stay in place initially by tying down the mooring rope. I'll grant you that Stacey is proactive in attacking Zorin. But she doesn't seem to have much of a plan besides wrestling with him and yelling, "Stop it!" over and over. It's more happy accident (i.e. excuse for the ensuing bridge fight) that her actions crash the blimp into the bridge. I'd say the difference with Natalya is that in commandeering the chopper she had a plan.
    No need for the apologies, @Strog . I get what you're saying about her character arc (or lack thereof) but I can't imagine seeing Stacy gun down Zorin just so the audience gets a 'proper' ending imo. Like you said, she does pull on Zorin's leg during the GG bridge fist fight. So she must've consciously understood that she was trying to make him fall to his death. Isn't the intent the important part?
    But again my main purpose in comparing Stacey to Natalya was less to observe what they were physically given to do and more in terms of character. Natalya's final act of GE lives up to her character. The film is largely concerned not only with how she exists in Bond's world but also how she exists in a man's world — she's a "second level" programmer compared to her male colleague and foil Boris, Alec objectifies her, etc. In fact, her "boys with toys" line points how her character is a fish out of water in a male/female way and not just in an ordinary world/Bond's world way.
    Good point actually.
    Rocksalt is normally, like you said, not used for killing but used as a deterrent. However, rocksalt can be considered lethal if you're in close range to your victim. That's why I pointed out that she might of killed Bond had she shot him.
    Fair point. Again, I see the action of loading the shotgun with rocksalt as more of a metaphorically revealing character moment.
    Well, outsmarting Bond also says a lot about her. She could've killed him regardless.
    I don't find the screaming annoying, but I can see why others get pissed off at it. Some of us appreciate the realism given to her character, whereas others would rather see her shut up and make the film lifeless and empty.
    As I said, it certainly is realistic. Packing it all into the final act serves to dial up the frequency. Perhaps it would've gone down better spread through the whole film? I'm not sure.

To the point, however, it's not just about the screaming in terror. It's also about the "Oh, James"-ing and the banal "Stop that! What are you, crazy?" murmurs and shouts that betray a lack of purpose for the character in that final act.
    Not sure if you've watched Temple of Doom (came out a year prior), but Willie is 10^100 times worse when she screams in that movie (I know it's played for comedic purposes), yet being spread throughout the film does not work. Maybe her character gave me a high tolerance?

• peterpeter Toronto
    I'm watching SP-- the PTS is such a kick ass piece of cinema, I can't help but think: this film ends on a set, with publicity stills, from actors, who played characters, as some kinda "haunting. To paraphrase Silva: "So dull... So Dull..."... BUT

... F**k!... This PTS is the cat's meow!!!!!!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Apart from the "couch landing" DC is a bad-ass
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I do like the seg-way from PTS to main title song-- so kill me
  • peterpeter Toronto
    However, not my favorite visuals in the credit sequences
  • peterpeter Toronto
    interesting-- just not my fave
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I think the lyrics of the song promised so much more than than the film delivered.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    M's meeting: I like how it starts off with M slamming papers down on his desk-- reminiscent of CR and the Embassy screw up... hasn't Bond learned anything??? impulsive twit...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    As in the CR incident, Bond was thinking of the lives of few, over the lives of many: better a whole block than a stadium full of people vs I thought one less bomb maker would be a good thing...

No, our 007 still hasn't seen the "big picture", or has he?...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    "over-due holiday" dialogue-- Mendes made the right decision: in the final cut he put in the more serious delivery of the line, vs the one seen in commercials (a RM'esque throw away line)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    HATEEEEEE DENBIGH............. I do like "C" line-- that gets butchered later on...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I love Bond's flat-- in the modern film he doesn't have "May" to take care of him, so... we get an almost barren man-cave, a large screen tv, an open wine bottle, and two dirty glasses (Bond and a "guest" from the previous night?). I LOVE his home...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I love how MP grins when she says she's not saying; DC delivers, "that's a shame" beautifully
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Bond makes the decision to "trust" MP
  • peterpeter Toronto
    M (Dench), cold-hearted as ever. A man name sciarra. Kill him. Dont miss the funeral.

Boys and girls of MI6-- I'm tuff on this film... but damn we have GREAT material thus far!!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    M letting Bond out of his sight... DC's eyes do a nod, and "yes, that's a little bit of a problem"... ; he gets MP on team Bond... still liking this
  • peterpeter Toronto
    i love DC's suit and holster
  • peterpeter Toronto
    opening up things from SF recovery... uhhhh....
  • peter wrote: »
    Boys and girls of MI6-- I'm tuff on this film... but damn we have GREAT material thus far!!

I recall my last viewing was not entirely disagreeable...up to a certain point. But things drop off sharply, and keep dropping. And dropping. And dropping.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Scene with Tanner... ughhhhhhhhh.... "OBsolete"... ok ok ok Mr Exposition
  • peterpeter Toronto
    getting off the boat with 007, Tanner holds out his hand... He's suuuuch a pussy...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    What is Q? Gadget man? or Tech-man? Or both?...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @peter, I think this is the wrong thread.

This is the one you want:
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/16741/bond-comments-while-you-watch#latest
  • peterpeter Toronto
    DC "Christ!" still cooler than cool... and yes... threaten Q's god damned cats for all I care...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I don't like DC's delivery: does it do anything? I don't. I really, really don't...