Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited March 2017 Posts: 4,438
    AVTAK.

Jeez, Moore looks old. Especially during the scene on the wharf with Chuck Lee. Needed some pins to hold up the wrinkles. However, as always, great first half especially the whole chateau sequence but falls flat after the hot tub scene.
  • GBFGBF
    bondjames wrote: »
    The bridge on the Keys is way too reminiscent of True Lies (yes LTK came first) but TL made that location their own. It's like how the Arecibo 'scope belongs to JB, even if another movie filmed there in the past.
    That's an excellent point. Since locations can be used by other producers and filmmakers in competing franchises, it's critical that whatever spot is selected for an action sequence be utilized iconically to maximum effect going forward.

The Harrier jumpjet for instance will always be associated with True Lies as well. So will any public toilet encounter (Sorry CR).

Bond owns Sugar Loaf mountain though.

A location that I always have in mind in this context is the "Abu Simbel" temple which was used in TSWLM. Interestingly, a very similar scene at the same place (or was it another Egypt temple?) was used in "Death on the Nile" which is another another famous British film produced in 1977. I still don't know whether the use of the Egypt temples in both of these films are just coincidences or whether there is another explanation. Does anybody have an idea?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    GBF wrote: »
    The bridge on the Keys is way too reminiscent of True Lies (yes LTK came first) but TL made that location their own. It's like how the Arecibo 'scope belongs to JB, even if another movie filmed there in the past.
    That's an excellent point. Since locations can be used by other producers and filmmakers in competing franchises, it's critical that whatever spot is selected for an action sequence be utilized iconically to maximum effect going forward.

The Harrier jumpjet for instance will always be associated with True Lies as well. So will any public toilet encounter (Sorry CR).

Bond owns Sugar Loaf mountain though.

A location that I always have in mind in this context is the "Abu Simbel" temple which was used in TSWLM. Interestingly, a very similar scene at the same place (or was it another Egypt temple?) was used in "Death on the Nile" which is another another famous British film produced in 1977. I still don't know whether the use of the Egypt temples in both of these films are just coincidences or whether there is another explanation. Does anybody have an idea?
    Yes, I noticed that. The sequences are quite similar as well, with someone attempting to drop a stone from the top in both. They're both beautifully filmed, although it's hard to screw up that location. I always thought Bond got there first because it was released a year earlier, but who knows.

Hamlisch's score really lifts that scene. One of my favourites from the Bond series.
  • From Russia with Love

Decided to go back and revisit the films in order. Watching From Russia with Love again just cements it as, in my opinion, the best Bond film of them all. It has this unique intrigue, and suspense that few of the other films have rarely captured. Connery is top notch in this one. In Dr. No, you could see his portrayal was rough around the edges in some parts, but here is where he perfects the Bond role.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    From Russia with Love

Decided to go back and revisit the films in order. Watching From Russia with Love again just cements it as, in my opinion, the best Bond film of them all. It has this unique intrigue, and suspense that few of the other films have rarely captured. Connery is top notch in this one. In Dr. No, you could see his portrayal was rough around the edges in some parts, but here is where he perfects the Bond role.

I agree, even though I personally prefer Dr No, Connery is certainly more polished in FRWL.
  • I like how he is portrayed in Dr. No. He's just such a bastard but you root for him at the same time.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Yes! Any gun fight in a bathroom ( especially w/ white tiles) makes me think of True Lies. Love the way Arnie moves his head just before the bullet is fired.

Okay, it's been a looong time since I saw True Lies, but I don't recall either a bathroom fight or a scene on the LTK bridge. Just the jet finale, Tom Arnold, and a rather (intentionally?) uncomfortable scene with JLC stripping for Arnie. But I also strongly disliked every moment of True Lies and its parodic James Bond-lite approach (and this is coming from a huge fan of Cameron's 80s output).
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    There's a scene where Arnold is flying the Harrier jet and firing rounds over the bridge to halt the vans. Great shots of missiles hitting it one-by-one. YT it.
    Yes! Any gun fight in a bathroom ( especially w/ white tiles) makes me think of True Lies. Love the way Arnie moves his head just before the bullet is fired.

Okay, it's been a looong time since I saw True Lies, but I don't recall either a bathroom fight or a scene on the LTK bridge. Just the jet finale, Tom Arnold, and a rather (intentionally?) uncomfortable scene with JLC stripping for Arnie. But I also strongly disliked every moment of True Lies and its parodic James Bond-lite approach (and this is coming from a huge fan of Cameron's 80s output).
    That probably explains it. I recommend rewatching it, because both scenes are outstanding action sequences for their time. I did find the strip and interrogation scenes somewhat discomfiting, but overall I felt it was a film ahead of its time. EON one upped everyone on the parody front (hopefully intentionally) with their infamous 2002 effort imho.
  • bondjames wrote: »

That probably explains it. I recommend rewatching it, because both scenes are outstanding action sequences for their time. I did find the strip and interrogation scenes somewhat discomfiting, but overall I felt it was a film ahead of its time. EON one upped everyone on the parody front (hopefully intentionally) with their infamous 2002 effort imho.

I also saw it on a small screen, from a distance, and in not the most involved of circumstances, so you're right, I probably am due a rewatch.
    Dr No

Great film with an intriguing mystery plot. In Dr No Bond is doing some real detective work and i love it. Connery's performance is absolutely superb and i love his snappy returns. "Crab key perhaps, ... Why so certain"? "Suitable for what"? Does the toppling of "American missiles really compensate for having no hands"?

Connery is such a bastard and orders everyone around in this one. Miss Taro wants to eat at home, but Bond just orders a taxi without her approval, "Fetch my shoes", and he also orders a guard to just take off his handcuffs. Great stuff!

Had a blast watching this one last night!

It's my favourite Bond film having watched it about 500 times..........
    And it's my all time favourite film as well.

I love the way he handles prof dent in the end. Superb cinema you don't see in films these days.

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I doubt that FYEO was Indy inspired, as Raiders premiered one month earlier.
    Perhaps, but with its natural location use and quick cut action orientation (rather than reliance on big set pieces) it retrospectively is far more Indy oriented than its predecessors. I'm sure EON had some idea of what Spielberg & Lucas were planning. Indy certainly impacted OP, which thankfully (for me) brought back the irony and humour (that FYEO lacks and which Raiders has).

I think FYEO was a result of having nowhere left to go after MR and getting a Bond film with a more grounded and serious approach that was more Fleming than Star Wars.

Raiders certainly impacted on OP as EON realized here was an action hero to challenge 007 and with regards to action and entertainment they pulled it out of the bag with OP.

According to Spielberg he told Lucas he wanted to make a James Bond movie one day, to which Lucas replied he 'had a better movie than James Bond...'
    Spielberg's Indy influence is indeed all over the later Glen films, including Afghanistan in TLD and the tanker sequence in LTK, not to mention all the jungle stuff in OP & the mine in AVTAK.

My understanding is that the industry was facing major cost pressures at that time, including tax issues in the UK etc. So Adam and Co. were out and well edited action was in.

Even though I adore Ken Adam's designs from an artistic point of view, I do prefer Glen's better efforts to the Gilbert films. Well-edited action set pieces are so much more engaging than just pointing your camera at a gorgeous set without really doing much with it.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 6,808
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more re LTK. One of the most tightly plotted stories, well told. Good elements of Fleming, Bond infliltrating the opposition and playing them off one another. And Sanchez is one of the very best villains, top 5. He and Dalton are tremendous adversarys. Some of the most inventive action beats too, and the most exciting finale since OHMSS! The score, by Michael Kamen is for me the only weak link. (If John Barry had done it I think it would have been more favourable to most who hate it!)
    I love that scene on the bridge, when the truck goes over the side. Much better than that sub par Bond parody True Lies, which i found very dull and Cameron lost his touch with the action imho.!

I agree, LTK is one of the best Bonds. I also really like the 80's feel it's got, I find that a positive and unique feature of the film. It has its own atmosphere and I like that.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Didn't do it for me! And then the missile picking up Art Malik made me cringe! And the horse/motorcycle chase was one of the dullest I've ever seen! Arnie, defintely not Bond material!
    You've got to admit that the Arab chap with the fading camera battery is classic though!

=))
    That scene never fails to entertain. The guy was crapping himself before he fessed up about the battery dying.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Dr No

Great film with an intriguing mystery plot. In Dr No Bond is doing some real detective work and i love it. Connery's performance is absolutely superb and i love his snappy returns. "Crab key perhaps, ... Why so certain"? "Suitable for what"? Does the toppling of "American missiles really compensate for having no hands"?

Connery is such a bastard and orders everyone around in this one. Miss Taro wants to eat at home, but Bond just orders a taxi without her approval, "Fetch my shoes", and he also orders a guard to just take off his handcuffs. Great stuff!

Sister Lilly: "Don't hesitate to ring if there's anything else you want. Anything at all"

Bond: "Such as 2 air tickets to London?"

Connery was in raw alpha mode the entire movie and especially so ironically after he and Honey get captured.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Dr No

Sister Lilly: "Don't hesitate to ring if there's anything else you want. Anything at all"

Bond: "Such as 2 air tickets to London?"

Connery was in raw alpha mode the entire movie and especially so ironically after he and Honey get captured.

Forgot that one!
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    From Russia with Love

My 'FRWL is the best Bond film of all' alert went off and just had to pop into the thread and offer my agreement. That is all - carry on.
    From Russia with Love

My 'FRWL is the best Bond film of all' alert went off and just had to pop into the thread and offer my agreement. That is all - carry on.
    Ditto. Full agreement.
    Third best.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It s one of the best.
  • Continued my Bondathon with Goldfinger. When I was younger I had this at the top of my rankings, however, growing older I think I would
    place it below FRWL, and OHMSS. This film is, and will always be, a masterpiece. From the opening scene with the where Bond blows up the drug facility, to the end where he's in Pussy Galores arms, this film truly defines Bond, and it's easy to see why it was, for a long time, the Bond film to beat.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Continued my Bondathon with Goldfinger. When I was younger I had this at the top of my rankings, however, growing older I think I would
    place it below FRWL, and OHMSS. This film is, and will always be, a masterpiece. From the opening scene with the where Bond blows up the drug facility, to the end where he's in Pussy Galores arms, this film truly defines Bond, and it's easy to see why it was, for a long time, the Bond film to beat.

I've fallen in love all over again with GF recently - I wouldn't rank it above OHMSS, but I do prefer it to FRWL. What a classic.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    Second best.
    Third best.

Somewhere around #15, but hey, it's not bad. Not bad at all.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Continued my Bondathon with Goldfinger. When I was younger I had this at the top of my rankings, however, growing older I think I would

I've fallen in love all over again with GF recently - I wouldn't rank it above OHMSS, but I do prefer it to FRWL. What a classic.

This was the first film I ever watched from the series - at one point, I would have also had GF as my favorite. Nowadays, FRWL holds that spot. Currently watching through them, I don'f think it will be out of the top five.
  • I will say that in my opinion, after viewing the first three films, and before I watch Thunderball, there's something there that's missing in the rest of the films, and with few exceptions, they don't seem to replicate the uniqueness of the first three (which is okay, they don't need too.)
    I will say that in my opinion, after viewing the first three films, and before I watch Thunderball, there's something there that's missing in the rest of the films, and with few exceptions, they don't seem to replicate the uniqueness of the first three (which is okay, they don't need too.)

Bob Simmons in the gun barrel sequence?

No I see your point though I'd argue TB qualifies as well. From then on OHMSS and TLD come closest. After the latter I think it has become impossible to create that 'something'. Which doesn't mean those films can't be any good of course.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Those first three were made while Fleming was still alive and writing Bond. There could be something there. TB suffers a bit from being written for the screen from the beginning. Sounds like a paradox, but that is how I see it.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 2,101
    I think that they captured some of the magic of Goldfinger in TSWLM, GE, and Skyfall, but for the first three, there is just something that sets them apart from the rest in the series.
    Those first three were made while Fleming was still alive and writing Bond. There could be something there. TB suffers a bit from being written for the screen from the beginning. Sounds like a paradox, but that is how I see it.

On that note, I wonder how much actual input Fleming had to the productions (other than the source material). I wonder if maybe he was some kind of creative consultant.
    Skyfall and The Living Daylights enjoyed the latter as always, I am eternally back and forth as to which Dalton film is the best.
  • Skyfall and The Living Daylights enjoyed the latter as always, I am eternally back and forth as to which Dalton film is the best.

I think TLD is the better film of the two, for me anyways. LTK has some really great stuff in it however.