Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    TWINE.

I know it's usually towards the bottom of people's rankings and it was on mine as well. Having not watched it in awhile i gave it a go and I found myself really enjoying it. I did see the comparable aspects of that and skyfall. One thing I never noticed until last night, when Zukovsky shoots the cuff and frees Bond, the idea wasn't to hit him, but it was to miss the rest of him, hence the wink.
    TWINE.

I know it's usually towards the bottom of people's rankings and it was on mine as well. Having not watched it in awhile i gave it a go and I found myself really enjoying it. I did see the comparable aspects of that and skyfall. One thing I never noticed until last night, when Zukovsky shoots the cuff and frees Bond, the idea wasn't to hit him, but it was to miss the rest of him, hence the wink.

Never thought about this until now!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    00Beast wrote: »
    TWINE.

Never thought about this until now!
    Me either! That's so cool.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I actually thought that was the whole point of the scene. Zukovsky's 'professional courtesy'.
  • CR with the audio commentary.
  • @Birdleson

BB doesn't feature a lot on the CR commentary. She does gush a lot and does just says how great everything is. But she still is very entertaining to listen to. I thought she was much better on the SF commentary with MGW and Dennis Gasser. It would be more interesting sometimes to hear how difficult certain aspects of the production were and how decisions are made from a producing stand point.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    Just watched OHMSS for the 3rd time ever. Love the scene where Bond is trapped in the carnival and seems about to give up when Tracy arrives. Taking some time to get used to a more physical Blofeld. There are times when the musical score doesn't seem to be a good fit. The demolition scene near the end where the James Bond theme is playing for example, doesn't seem quite right. OHMSS is an epic on the scale of FWRL doesn't need the spy music, IMO. It's growing on me, but I don't see the top 5 flick that everyone else does. I really wish Lazenby had stayed on because he is a good looking Bond. Tall, athletic and the close quartered, quick cut, fight scenes are Craig before Craig. Really wish he had the shot to avenge in DAF.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Birdleson wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I actually thought that was the whole point of the scene. Zukovsky's 'professional courtesy'.

That's what I'm saying. I don't get any other interpretation. If anything I thought that it was overplayed.

Well now that I am a little bit older, it was something that had dawned on me because I watched GE a few weeks back and when that scene in TWINE unravelled, it had struck me. Everytime I had watched TWINE, I just took it as Zukovsky freeing Bond so he can save the world.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited September 2015 Posts: 8,110

That's what I'm saying. I don't get any other interpretation. If anything I thought that it was overplayed.

Well now that I am a little bit older, it was something that had dawned on me because I watched GE a few weeks back and when that scene in TWINE unravelled, it had struck me. Everytime I had watched TWINE, I just took it as Zukovsky freeing Bond so he can save the world.

Hold on, I just noticed your name! SF reference?

Hold on, I just noticed your name! SF reference?

Yes and being a Florida Panthers fan, we throw rats on the ice when we win.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,310
    Octopussy

Octopussy is a decent film, and like many of the Roger Moore films it has a bit of good (Bomb disarming scene, Sotheby's scene etc), and a bit of bad (George of the Jungle, Hot Air Ballon etc). The theme song itself is one of the weakest in the series, but Barry's score makes excellent use of it.

I appreciated how confidently the film seems to handle itself. There just seems to be an unexplainable sparkle to the film, I can't really place it.

Kamal Khan might be the most underrated villain of the series. Louis Jourdan is actually great in the role and perfectly portrays a sniveling, weasel type of villain who is in love with his own evil and happy to let the muscle (Gobinda) do all the work. Dominic Greene could also fall into this category, but he is far substandard.

I continue to have mixed feelings about Octopussy as a whole, but I think it is a solid piece of Bond yarn at the end of the day. It sits in the middle of the pack for me.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    @SJK91 - that's a Tarzan yodel, George of the Jungle isn't well known outside of America, and if he does that yodel then it was ripped of from Tarzan. But agree on Octopussy, cut out the sillier elements (you failed to mention the gorilla suit) and you have a cracking yarn.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,310
    @SJK91 - that's a Tarzan yodel, George of the Jungle isn't well known outside of America, and if he does that yodel then it was ripped of from Tarzan. But agree on Octopussy, cut out the sillier elements (you failed to mention the gorilla suit) and you have a cracking yarn.
    My goodness you're right - how could I have forgotten THAT of all things?!?!

And Tarzan, indeed, good catch.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    The Man With The Golden Gun
    I don't see why this one gets so much hate among fans. It's not the greatest by any means but it's still one of Moore's better outings. Although I will say that Goodnight is probably one of the worst Bond girls.
    Tomorrow is my favorite Moore movie TSWLM. I hope I still love it as much as I did the last time I watched it.
    She really doesn't do much except get in Bonds way through the whole film. I will say that she damn good looking and has a nice body :x
    I can agree with you there. Jinx may be the worst Bond girl because of that. The only time I didn't mind it was in TND.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    The Living Daylights
    Favorite Bond movie (not necessarily the best) since I was a kid. Bond running all around the planet to get after Koskov and Whitaker. Unique villains in that they are just trying to get laid and paid - as opposed to the take over the world/get revenge sadistic type villains. Dalton will certainly be the best actor to play the role for a long time. Sells disappointment and frustration particularly well. Along with FYEO, the movie I could play over and over (not too much drama but not boring either).
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I had my Birthday party yesterday showing 9 Bond movies in three different rooms, some 20 people attended. 14 hours of watching Bond, listning to Bond music and drinking lots of Martini, shaken not stirred of course.

Room 1:
    CR
    SF
    OP

Room 2:
    GE
    DAD
    TLD

Room 3:
    FRWL
    GF
    OHMSS

It was spectacular and I'm going to do this again for Halloween.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    The Living Daylights

Decent enough opener for Dalton but didn't enjoy it as much as I should have.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Watched OHMSS and CR back to back yesterday, great films. =D>
  • My top 2 :)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Mine too. ;) amazing to think they are so far apart time wise but so
    Close in execution.
  • Skyfall - I finally got round to watching with audio commentary by Wilson, Broccoli and Gassner!
    Die Another Day.

Something about it struck me oddly this time around. I never realized how bad in places it really was. Yeah I know about ice surfing CGI etc etc etc but Brosnan seemed off to me this time around. It didn't seem like he was enjoying the film at all and he didn't seem as cool as his first three films. I know that people say that he's strong and comfortable this time around and he is one of the saving graces of the film, but just something about it this time around rubbed me the wrong way.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I had my Birthday party yesterday showing 9 Bond movies in three different rooms, some 20 people attended. 14 hours of watching Bond, listning to Bond music and drinking lots of Martini, shaken not stirred of course.

Room 1:
    CR
    SF
    OP

Room 2:
    GE
    DAD
    TLD

Room 3:
    FRWL
    GF
    OHMSS

Lucky crowd in room #3.
  • I watched GoldenEye over the weekend.

It was still a triumph, a success on nearly every level, and an entry to which all fans of the series are permanently indebted. As a rollicking adventure, as an action-packed thriller, as an examination of Bond's character and role in the world, and as the rescuer of a series in trouble, it passes with flying colors.

The movie starts off strong, with one of the best stunts in series history, perhaps second only to the Asgaard jump in its breathtaking nature; no one watching either the Asgaard jump or the bungee of the front of the dam could fail to recognize it as James Bond, through and through. The rest of the PTS is a strong little action movie recounting Bond and Trevelyan's mission to destroy a Russian base and the (apparent) death of 006. Bond catching up to the plane is a bit too far, but it can be forgiven with how great the rest of the mini-movie is.

The film then slowly establishes Bond's mission, taking time to set up all the strands individually. This is perhaps GoldenEye's greatest strength: every character gets a moment in the sun to establish who they are and why they're around, rather than simply serving as appendages to Bond's mission. We see this most with Natalya, who has her own arc starting at Severnaya and only crossing paths with Bond halfway through, but everyone from Tanner to Mishkin is fleshed out, at least a little.

Bond himself gets the brunt of the examination, given that its his movie, most famously from Judi Dench, who is excellent as M, and Trevelyan, who's perfect as Bond's evil twin, so to speak. We explore both his relationship to his job and his relationship to the 1990's. Is he just another killer? How much does he regret the death of his wife and his other allies/lovers over the years? How can any man cope with all the death, state-sanctioned or otherwise? Is he hopelessly out of touch now that the Cold War is over? What about the new wave of political correctness? Has the world left him behind?

The movie leaves the first set questions unanswered, although it does suggest that Bond isn't happy with the life he leads. It answers the second set of questions with a resounding no, showing that Bond is still relevant (and cool) as long as there's danger in the world. One could make a pretty good case that there's a contradiction between how cool the movie makes Bond's life seem at times (He drives a tank! Around St. Petersburg!) and the associated misery, but this is a problem with the fundamental structure of Bond more than GE in particular.

Apart from all this analysis, GE is a great Bond film by all the classic metrics. The plot is the right mix of silly and devious, Sean Bean can match Bond in both brawn and brain (an evil 00 as the villain was truly a stroke of genius), and the henchmen and Bond girl are well-written. The stunt work is great, as the bungee jump and the tank chase will attest, as will the fight between Bond and Trevelyan at the climax.

Finally, we turn to Pierce Brosnan's debut as Bond. He's great for the role, able to balance between the many different elements required to play our favorite super-spy. His quips are well-delivered; his suits are always well-tailored, and his fights are believable. At times, he does overact, but I think this is actually less of a problem for him than Dalton.

GoldenEye does have its flaws, though. Sometimes, the jokes fall flat, and there are times when the movie fails to follow through on its questioning of Bond. The series would perfect the model of GoldenEye in time for the Craig films, but we'll cover those in a few weeks. GoldenEye acquits itself exceptionally well and deserves all the praise it's gotten over the past twenty years.

1. Goldfinger
    2. From Russia With Love
    3. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    4. GoldenEye (first top-tier movie in almost twenty years)
    5. The Spy Who Loved Me
    6. Dr. No
    7. Licence to Kill
    8. For Your Eyes Only
    9. The Living Daylights
    10. You Only Live Twice
    11. Thunderball
    12. Octopussy
    13. Live and Let Die
    14. Diamonds are Forever
    15. A View to a Kill
    16. The Man with the Golden Gun
    17. Moonraker
    edited October 2015 Posts: 9,020
    I watched GoldenEye over the weekend.

It was still a triumph, a success on nearly every level, and an entry to which all fans of the series are permanently indebted. As a rollicking adventure, as an action-packed thriller, as an examination of Bond's character and role in the world, and as the rescuer of a series in trouble, it passes with flying colors.

The movie starts off strong, with one of the best stunts in series history, perhaps second only to the Asgaard jump in its breathtaking nature; no one watching either the Asgaard jump or the bungee of the front of the dam could fail to recognize it as James Bond, through and through. The rest of the PTS is a strong little action movie recounting Bond and Trevelyan's mission to destroy a Russian base and the (apparent) death of 006. Bond catching up to the plane is a bit too far, but it can be forgiven with how great the rest of the mini-movie is.

The film then slowly establishes Bond's mission, taking time to set up all the strands individually. This is perhaps GoldenEye's greatest strength: every character gets a moment in the sun to establish who they are and why they're around, rather than simply serving as appendages to Bond's mission. We see this most with Natalya, who has her own arc starting at Severnaya and only crossing paths with Bond halfway through, but everyone from Tanner to Mishkin is fleshed out, at least a little.

Bond himself gets the brunt of the examination, given that its his movie, most famously from Judi Dench, who is excellent as M, and Trevelyan, who's perfect as Bond's evil twin, so to speak. We explore both his relationship to his job and his relationship to the 1990's. Is he just another killer? How much does he regret the death of his wife and his other allies/lovers over the years? How can any man cope with all the death, state-sanctioned or otherwise? Is he hopelessly out of touch now that the Cold War is over? What about the new wave of political correctness? Has the world left him behind?

The movie leaves the first set questions unanswered, although it does suggest that Bond isn't happy with the life he leads. It answers the second set of questions with a resounding no, showing that Bond is still relevant (and cool) as long as there's danger in the world. One could make a pretty good case that there's a contradiction between how cool the movie makes Bond's life seem at times (He drives a tank! Around St. Petersburg!) and the associated misery, but this is a problem with the fundamental structure of Bond more than GE in particular.

Apart from all this analysis, GE is a great Bond film by all the classic metrics. The plot is the right mix of silly and devious, Sean Bean can match Bond in both brawn and brain (an evil 00 as the villain was truly a stroke of genius), and the henchmen and Bond girl are well-written. The stunt work is great, as the bungee jump and the tank chase will attest, as will the fight between Bond and Trevelyan at the climax.

Finally, we turn to Pierce Brosnan's debut as Bond. He's great for the role, able to balance between the many different elements required to play our favorite super-spy. His quips are well-delivered; his suits are always well-tailored, and his fights are believable. At times, he does overact, but I think this is actually less of a problem for him than Dalton.

GoldenEye does have its flaws, though. Sometimes, the jokes fall flat, and there are times when the movie fails to follow through on its questioning of Bond. The series would perfect the model of GoldenEye in time for the Craig films, but we'll cover those in a few weeks. GoldenEye acquits itself exceptionally well and deserves all the praise it's gotten over the past twenty years.

A review for keeping. Thank you so much for this detailed, objective and fair article.

Sometimes people forget that there are 20 years between GE and SP.
    The production values were so much higher from CR on and the budget as well, therefore the Craig era seems to have "better" movies.
    Corrected
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    No, it's 20 years. You were right the first time. Unless you meant between GE & CR vs. between GE & SP
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Room 1:
    CR
    SF
    OP

Room 2:
    GE
    DAD
    TLD

Room 3:
    FRWL
    GF
    OHMSS

OMG that sounds amazing!! Let me save up some money so I can visit for the next tri-room Bondfest in 2016, if I can beg an invite, of course...
    Happy Birthday, btw!