• Dragonpol wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    My reaction to the first 2 posts

seinfeld.gif

Very well put Sir.

Anyone else wanna drop out?
    Yes, I have a pressing engagement.

"perhaps they were on their way to a funeral"
    Can we say............ "The Man from U..N.C.L.E." Feature Film.

If U.N.C.L.E. can do it why not Bond? ............ Let me count the ways.
  • delfloria wrote:

Because Bond has always been a contemporary piece and is always set in the era in which it's made. This is the first big screen outing for U.N.C.L.E. so it doesn't have the same problem.
  • delfloria wrote:

There's over one billion of them.
    delfloria wrote:

Because Bond has always been a contemporary piece and is always set in the era in which it's made. This is the first big screen outing for U.N.C.L.E. so it doesn't have the same problem.

That pretty much sums it up to me, really. That, and the fact that Perdogg refused to acknowledge that his Sherlock Holmes argument was blown out of the water and into the stratosphere very early on in this thread. And he cowardly retracted saying that he didn't give a fig about TV series, as if utterly irrelevant to the topic at hand... even though he is the one who brought up the Sherlock Holmes analogy in the first place. Surprisingly, he didn't show up again.

In a sadistic way, I am enjoying this thread.
    Ludovico wrote:
    delfloria wrote:

That pretty much sums it up to me, really. That, and the fact that Perdogg refused to acknowledge that his Sherlock Holmes argument was blown out of the water and into the stratosphere very early on in this thread. And he cowardly retracted saying that he didn't give a fig about TV series, as if utterly irrelevant to the topic at hand... even though he is the one who brought up the Sherlock Holmes analogy in the first place. Surprisingly, he didn't show up again.

The last two Sherlock Holmes movies took place in the 19th century.
  • Just like Bond films take place in the here and now, and not in the 1950's ;)
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 14,816
    Perdogg wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    delfloria wrote:

The last two Sherlock Holmes movies took place in the 19th century.

Yes, and they had the characters played as anachronistically as they could! AND and ESPECIALLY, someone gave you an example of an adaptation of Conan Doyle's stories (MUCH closer in spirit to the source material, by the way) that was set in contemporary time. You rebuttal? You don't care about TV. That's not an argument, that's lalaland.

And we are talking about Sherlock Holmes, a character much more associated with Victorian England than Bond ever was with the Cold War, AND who had multiple incarnations in the past, in various mediums. Bond, from the beginning of his cinematic history, was set as an ever contemporary character. The novel Dr. No was set in the 1950s, the movie was set at the time the movie was shot.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Those Sherlock Holmes films will be luckly to make it to number 3 nevermind 23.
  • James Bond ended in 2002 for me. Daniel Craig just does not look the part. Sean Connery, Pierce Brosnan, and Roger Moore[save for his horrid 1981 Bond]. James Bond is not grunge.
    James Bond ended in 2002 for me. Daniel Craig just does not look the part. Sean Connery, Pierce Brosnan, and Roger Moore[save for his horrid 1981 Bond]. James Bond is not grunge.

So it doesn't matter that the man excellently portrays cinema's most beloved character, it just matters what his hair colour is?
    The question at hand is really just a part of the larger issue of what direction the series should take after D-Craig hangs it up. The next Bond will certainly have some large shoes to fill, but it's not like that hasn't been the case on previous occasions.

I've argued in other threads and in other venues that the good people at EON Productions should focus more on moving Bond forward into the 21st Century, rather than on futile efforts to recapture "Classic Bond." It would thus be inconsistent of me to embrace this Retro-Bond idea. Though I'm intrigued by the idea of Bond period pieces, in the end I guess that's what the novels are for.
    It would necessitate a huge campaign informing the general audiences that Bond was originally written in the 50s. Before Connery´s Bond films were made. Before the DB5 existed. One could of course argue that the latter would contribute to portraying Bond as state of the art, driving a car years ahead of his time, but who would understand that at all?
  • EON should not consider retro Bond, maybe to satisfy some segment of audience let television network do that
  • James Bond ended in 2002 for me. Daniel Craig just does not look the part. Sean Connery, Pierce Brosnan, and Roger Moore[save for his horrid 1981 Bond]. James Bond is not grunge.

IFM everybody. His username says it all really.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Well, they say you're judged by the strength of your enemies.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Those Sherlock Holmes films will be luckly to make it to number 3 nevermind 23.

Yes. And they are just one of many, many interpretations of Sherlock Holmes (and I will stress, although set as period pieces, they are very anachronistic). The OP statement is factually incorrect, as Soundsofthesinners pointed out early on, it is also worthless. And what does Perdogg do? Instead of saying his argument was wrong, he disregards it, saying he doesn't watch the BBC. Huge, gigantic, gaping argument from ignorance here. And a cowardly attitude to fair criticism too, I might add.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 3,494
    James Bond ended in 2002 for me. Daniel Craig just does not look the part. Sean Connery, Pierce Brosnan, and Roger Moore[save for his horrid 1981 Bond]. James Bond is not grunge.

Exactly. A poser of the DCINB variety. We accept all Bond actors here and give all non-dark haired Bond actors of the official series, including Sir Roger who should be excluded from that site for his sandy blond hair and blue eyes if that's the criteria, a fair shake around here. How an actor performs as Bond is what counts, the only true criteria should be a heterosexual white man of British origin.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    In the EON series, NO.
    If someone makes a faithful to Fleming TV series, with a good director and good Bond, then yes I will watch it. Who would not?
  • I really want to know, for the people who've been around for the whole run, what was the atmosphere when Bond changed for the first time? Can't believe I've not contemplated that before.
    Try asking that in the originals thread. I'm sure they'd be able to answer your question quite well.

Actually, we already have answered that question (I'll leave it to others to determine how well) but just to save folks the hassle of looking it up...

For myself, the series was in fairly dire jeapordy at that time. I liked the Bond of GF and TB just fine & wasn't particularly interested in the new fellow so I didn't go see OHMSS in its original release. DAF got a mixed review from me (didn't care for the humorous direction the series was beginning to take.) There was lots of other stuff going on culturally for me at that time and for a good while there I was viewing Bond as pretty much old hat. I finally grudgingly accepted Moore as Bond...and it wasn't until Dalton's turn as the character that I grew to be enthusiastic about Bond again.

And just so you won't think you don't need to read all those reviews over in the "Originals" thread: I just finished reviewing Dalton's second and final Bond film, Brosnan is up next. Check 'em out, we're having tons of fun over there!

Exactly. A poser of the DCINB variety. We accept all Bond actors here and give all non-dark haired Bond actors of the official series, including Sir Roger who should be excluded from that site for his sandy blond hair and blue eyes if that's the criteria, a fair shake around here. How an actor performs as Bond is what counts, the only true criteria should be a heterosexual white man of British origin.

THANK YOU. Everyone who bashes Craig for being blond conveniently "forgets" that Moore wasn't dark-haired by any stretch of the imagination.
    In the EON series, NO.
    If someone makes a faithful to Fleming TV series, with a good director and good Bond, then yes I will watch it. Who would not?

Yes, we would all watch such project, but that would be a different medium altogether and it remains at best highly hypothetical and very unlikely to ever happen. The OP was asking about EON production though, and being categorical about it, asserting, completely inaccurately, that Sherlock Holmes would not be adapted in contemporary setting.