Bond movie ranking (Simple list, no details)

Comments

• edited February 2016 Posts: 1,595
    GE is a stone cold classic and not overrated in the slightest. I'm pretty sure it is well solidified as a modern classic at this point. It saved the franchise.

You say "objectively speaking" which I really take issue with @bondjames. Brings with it a sense of supposed enlightenment as though art can be objectively qualified through some sort of rubric that only the entitled few have access to. The way I see it, most opinions are valid so long as a point can be intelligently and convincingly argued using support from the work itself as evidence.

I think GE is phenomenal. Inventive action sequences, Bond's relationship to the villain actually makes some sense, outstanding use of location to create atmosphere (seriously, tons of post-Cold War murky atmosphere here). The score some hate, so I'll give you that - features maybe the best cast of characters in the series. The Bond girl is both well written and well acted. The cinematography is superb. So "objectively" (although I do resist the word, just using it for the sake of argument) I'd say GE is pretty damn good. Oh, and Martin Campbell knows how to inject a high-octane sense of energy in a film. He has given the series a huge kick in the ass twice. Both of his films just pulse with energy. If I was smarter I'd analyze them as well as their production to try and figure out why, but I'm not that film savvy. They just have a real liveliness and momentum (outside of the script - just in the way the films "feel").

There are whiffs of Fleming, Brosnan is at his most restrained (which is interesting given the later performances), and the way Bond's "relevancy" is worked in doesn't smash you over the head with it like SF, it just quietly sets it up as a small theme and lets the rest of the film answer the posed question.

Don't take my defensiveness here as an attack on your opinion or your intelligence - I just feel like I could definitely argue for GE deserving a place with the "all-timers" on a Bond list, and to just toss out that it's "objectively overrated" and "certainly no classic" bothered me a bit. We've always gotten along so don't take this as any sort of attack on you. This forum is better than that petty internet bullshit. Just saying many of my friends (varying degrees of Bond fan) claim it is one of the best 3 etc, and most recognize it as (somewhat) saving the franchise. I'm not sure what the criteria are for "classic" but given that it is 21 years old, I'd say it's shaping up to solidify itself in the coming years.
  • Well said.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Yes, you're right @ThighsOfXenia, I was a little casual in my response, and it was poorly explained. Indeed, assessment of art is, at the end of the day, all subjective.

However, what I believe is that within that realm, there is the possibility of making an objective argument about the negatives that one sees in a finished product. The original poster has a reason for suggesting that he believes GE is overrated. Those reasons, which he stated, are not without merit. Indeed, many proponents of GE, myself included, tend to overlook such issues. I can appreciate how such issues could irritate others to no end, primarily because GE is a highly rated & ranked film here. If it wasn't, he probably wouldn't be so concerned about its flaws, and I can understand that. The same, applies, to some extent, to SF, another film which I & the majority of others rate very highly, and which receives a lot of criticism from board members, much of it quite warranted if one looks at it calmly and deliberately.

I think GE & SF in particular really show that overall 'sum of parts' assessment of art is subjective at best. I believe that both these films have that 'je ne sais quoi' that only art and design can present to the those who experience it. They are far greater than the sum of their component parts to the majority of viewers (including myself) and elicit a sort of 'adulation'. That is why those who defend these films do so quite passionately, as you just did above yourself. Conversely, that is also why does who don't see what all the fuss is about get as annoyed about it. SP, as an example, doesn't do this in my view, despite it being a superb film on many technical levels. That is why I said that I believe it is 'clinical', after I recently watched it again,.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Three things in GE annoyed me, and they're all minor; the bad FX shot of Bond catching up with the plane, too much Boreez, and Wade & co popping up in the end (just let 'em make out for gosh sakes!). The rest is truly great IMO.
    GE has climbed higher and higher on my list for some time, but has pretty much always been in my Top 10. I just think it's a really fun movie, and something of a modern Bond classic. I know not everyone cares for it, but that's just my two cents.
    @bondjames - well said. I'm not sure I agree about the objectivity (after all, who was it exactly who decided what defined "excellence" in cinema? Where's the rubric?). There isn't a rubric. I think what you're saying I may agree with, which is that we can take evidence from the text of the films and apply it in support of our own respective arguments, but I don't know if objectivity is really possible.

And even if it was, is that a good thing? I think the embracing of one's personal taste is a key element to film criticism that many critics lack. I want to recommend films to people that I love, not just the ones I respect. Now, the two tend to be synonymous for me, because I respect my own tastes (as everyone should).

I think there is nothing wrong with aspiring towards some sort of objectivity when critiquing art, but I also think there is something wrong with assuming that quality and excellence in art are static and unchanging - to assume something like that is to insult a dissenter's intelligence, even if they argue their personal stance quite eloquently, this "rubric" that I keep mentioning would deem their opinions, taste, and ability to judge art "stupid," in a sense.

A good example is that for every aspect of SP that I have argued is of poor quality, I'm sure there are some that would argue that same aspect is of great quality. Off the top of my head - the humor in the film. Purely subjective at the end of the day. I attempt to evidence my argument by stating that the humor is, often, poorly written, and ill-fitting of the incarnation of Bond that Craig has cut out for himself. Many of the jokes resemble MCU humor rather than 007 humor. My argument is a good one, I feel, but that doesn't mean I am more objectively correct than someone who successfully argues that SP's humor is effective. Now, humor is extremely subjective, so I suppose another example would be the whole matter of Blofeld, or even Waltz's performance (for example, @Birdleson and I agree overall about the film - although he rates it lower than myself - but I believe we disagree about Waltz's performance). Both of us are relatively knowledgeable about film, and both of us could surely argue our points effectively if we needed to. I think Waltz is pretty crappy, and I think Birdleson views the performance as "doing the best he could with what he was given."

For all the people like myself who abhor the direction the script takes towards that final act there will be people who find it invigorating and emotionally rich and rewarding.

Objective quality doesn't exist, but I'm not quite so post-modernist to claim that aspiring to objectively argue a point of view using examples from the text is useless.

I'm not sure if that made a lick of sense. I agree with almost everything you were saying, and when I write film reviews I attempt to be "objective," and work in my own tastes as well, but I also don't like that word because it suggests that there is some sort of "rubric" that all "great" films must check all the boxes of, or else, which I think is silly.

Some of the greatest films of all time are often very messy, and that is part of their greatness (which I think perfectly argues my point here). Some of the "better" films, are really quite soulless (in my opinion) and "clinical," and yet, "objectively," they tick all of the boxes. Personal taste, passion, and acknowledging art as inherently social is the best thing, which is why being a Bond fan is so much fun, because we all have our own opinions, and being a Bond fan on a social forum like this has only enhanced my adoration for the films I enjoy--and there is NO downside to that.

I need to stop typing these long posts, don't I.

PS - All of that said, if someone can't effectively argue their point using examples to back up their opinions I am naturally going to respect it considerably less than someone who can, because they can base their ideas and feelings in something tangible (i.e. the text of the film). Basically, tell me "why" you love something.

Hell, some of you have really got me excited to rewatch QoS, which I have always enjoyed but always sort of resnted as a Bond film. That's a good thing. I'm open, and wanting, to lovig it now.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    Yes, there are usually unquantifiable, especially with the greatest films. If I have to argue with someone about the merits of say THE WIZARD OF OZ, the argument is already lost. It should be evident, not clinical. I would hope that time, maturity and revisiting a piece is the prop[er way to find appreciation where there was none. Of course, well over 90% of films made anymore are crap.

Haha, I'm an optimist so I often enjoy more films than I dislike, but yeah. Good point about Oz. I do think it's important, though, to entertain intelligent arguments that run counter to our own. It can only enrich our own experiences, as well as stand as proof of the way things change and shift

(just look at, for one example off of the top of my head, the way opinion of Jackie Brown has skyrocketed in the last 5 years or so). That's a good example of a modern film having that sort of social renaissance thanks to some great pieces of writing etc.

Enough of all my pseudo-intellectual BS. Back to Bond.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I never noticed any ebb or flow with JACKIE BROWN's status (then again, I'm not likely to read articles about Tarantino). I thought it was very good when I saw it in the theatre, I still think it's good, and I haven't cared for any of his work since.

I like his stuff. I think people were pissed off it wasn't Pulp 2, but now many people are recognizing it as one of his best films (which I think it is as well) whereas it used to be dropped down next to Death Proof on every list I saw. Just used it as an example. It is definitely enjoying some praise in the last few years.
    Jackie Brown was so good. I think it's my favourite Tarantino picture, or at least, the equal of Pulp Fiction...
    I agree with your points @ThighsOfXenia. Objective quality really doesn't exist in art, purely becuase it is in the eye of the beholder. However, I believe objective criticism does exist, if that makes any sense. Like you say, it all comes down to how one argues one's opinion.

I also believe that the original poster made his comments about GE primarily because of its ranking on this and other sites. Essentially, if everything in art is subjective (which it is) then perhaps it's inappropriate to ever rank art, because it can't objectively be done.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I would hope that time, maturity and revisiting a piece is the prop[er way to find appreciation where there was none.
    I am currently watching SP for the 2nd time in a week as I type this, and about to get back to it so shall temporarily log off. I have to say that by revisiting it like you suggest above @Birdleson, I'm actually, strangely coming around to it. I'm seeing the magnificence of the production quality in the film as I watch it (almost but not quite up to the standards of TSWLM - a benchmark Bond film in this respect imho). Let's see if I can maintain this unexpected positivity as the film progresses to its somewhat underwhelming denouement that I couldn't even get through (without switching it off) a few days ago.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    SPECTRE is my Bond film for tomorrow. Currently sits just inside my bottom five. It'll probably improve, but I don't see it doing so by much.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I think the thing that I appreciated most about GOLDENEYE when it came out (it's ranked 12th by me, and I wasn't anticipating it very much at the time and I still have a few problems with it), is that, with it, EON brought class and a grandeur back to the franchise. It was the first time since 1977 that a Bond film looked and felt like an A production, that it was the sharpest dressed kid on the block. I marvel at those who now say it looks cheap, it certainly didn't seem that way in 1995.

Yeah, watching the title sequence, there's no way it looks cheap.
  • Mathis1 wrote: »
    Glancing through lists, it still amazes me why GE features so high in many! Was it that fans were so starved of 007 to return to the screen that they overlooked how poor it is. The weak script with some terrible lines, Brossas wooden acting, Beans irritating accent, the atrocious score, the middling action, and that godawful song at the end, to name a few!

May I direct you to my list? :)

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/550181/#Comment_550181
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited February 2016 Posts: 8,090
    TOP 5

SPECTRE
    Goldfinger
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Tomorrow Never Dies
    Octopussy

bottom five

moonraker
    die another day
    diamonds are forever
    the world is not enough
    for your eyes only

Theres that phrase again, "it saved the series!" about GE! I don't agree with that! Certainly if you were to use that phrase for CR, imo, would be more suitable to! We had 10 years of mediocre Bond films, none approaching excellence or indeed memorable. The 007 series was stagnant, and looked liked it was going to continue that way if Brosnan was signed a new contract!
    There was a spirited defence here for GE, but I'm afraid I don't buy any of it! Its slow in the early parts, and the humour is strained, Sean Bean must have been an inspired bit of casting, the equal of 007, but his character is so annoying that it drains any kind of tension between them, (I do put a lot of that down to Brossa poor acting though, same lack of spark with leading lady), Gottfried Johns villain starts out well, but becomes a bit of a buffoon later (swigging from a hip flask during the tank chase for example), Famke janssen Onatopp is another that just is too cartoonish to have any impact.The less said about Alan Cumming the better. I don't think the film has any charisma at all, Campbell and cinematographer Phil Meheux showed tons of it in CR, but GE does look rather cheap. Some of the dialogue is really dreadful, The action only works sporadically, the shootout in the archive, the fight with Trevelyan at the end (though having it in a semi lit room was a mistake), the rest, the much admired tank chase, the pre-credits sequence (only the brief moment with the gas tanks tumbling on the guards excites) and the lame ending running around on a satellite dish while Alan is Cumming on his computer never really got the pulses racing. As for the music, well Eric Serra was a disastrous choice, weird, and not in a good way. Who the hell sanctioned that awful end title song, considering that dreadful final scene with Wade, the Bond theme played properly may have given some kind of lift, but no we were subject to this abomination of a song (I remember not even waiting to the end of the movie, which I usually do with Bond!) Anyway, rant over, GE sits at 21 for me, and that's fair I believe!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    No 21 is the most it deserves.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    GE is one of the most popular Bond films for the general audience, alongside GF, TSWLM, CR and SF. Maybe you didn't like it but it did reinvegorate the franchise after disappointing box office success in the 1980's.
    I think some misunderstand. It was meant to be camp and OTT. That was quite clear to me. All the supporting actors had to dial it up a little to compensate for the insecurity readily apparent in the new Bond actor.

I agree that it hasn't dated all that well, but the OTT aspect is what makes it endearing for me, like with OP.
    Goldeneye was one of my favourites for many years until one day I came to the realization that it is basically a american action film with Bond just thrown in. If you took him out and put in Bruce Willis or Stallone or someone, you wouldn't even know is was a Bond movie. It's not a bad film, that's why so many people like it. It's a very competently made action film that arrived at the right time. It's just not Bond.
    @Mendes4Lyfe, that's Licence to Kill you're talking about, not GE. But honestly a lot of Bond films share similarities with American action films (TND's final act comes to mind).

@Mathis1 I mean it saved the series in terms of financial success and the way it reinvigorated it. Regardless of your opinion on the film, this is pretty much a fact that GE gave the series a kick in the ass in terms of success and brought public interest back.

Oh, and yeah the final song makes me want to kill myself. @Thunderfinger, I'd say the most it deserves is top 5 (ish). The least it deserves is top 12(ish). But hey, different strokes and so forth.

But hey, can't win them all. I'm just proud in vainly thinking that I helped bring about a slight DAD renaissance on these boards. Difference of opinion is fun. @chrisisall, as the Brosnan Defender of the Realm, likely helped as well.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 17,691
    I'm just proud in vainly thinking that I helped bring about a slight DAD renaissance on these boards. Difference of opinion is fun. @chrisisall, as the Brosnan Defender of the Realm, likely helped as well.
    We did it, pal! We were singing its praises whilst others were still saying it was pure, unadulterated crap.
    When in the mood, DAD is always a blast.
    =D>
  • I mean I think a lot of its second half is mind-bogglingly stupid, but a lot of it is pretty damn great (I'm being dead serious). I still hate Jinx. It just has a relentless energy to it that some other films in the series lack. I've said that so many times I'm sure people are rolling their eyes, but it's just how I feel.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2016 Posts: 15,690
    DAD is non stop action in the 2nd half, you don't have time to breath. From the Bond vs Kill fight, it's just a few minutes to Bond escaping the ice palace with the speed racer thing, then it's hardly 5 minutes to the car chase, and then another 5 minutes of dialogue before the climax on the Antonov.
  • That swordfight is supposed to be intense and comes off as sort of silly. OPening of DAD was the best part, then just fell of the table.
    That swordfight is supposed to be intense and comes off as sort of silly.

Au contraire, mon ami. That was one of the best set pieces in the series!
    There was a little too much pouting and heated looks that could have suggested sexual tension between two male actors in that scene imho, but apart from that, yes, it is quite intense and one of the series' best.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,588
    chrisisall wrote: »

Agreed. Arnold's score is also fantastic here.

I'm off to watch Die Another Day now.
    jake24 wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »

Agreed. Arnold's score is also fantastic here.

I'm off to watch Die Another Day now.
    I just might put it on later myself.
    One thing though, apart from the 'anger management' gag, I'm not a huge fan of the PTS... it just goes on a bit too long for my taste.

I don't agree, TND is a masterpiece is my eyes. :x
    Watching SP again. I'm coming around to it because I've started to look at it a certain way. Multiple viewings have helped now that my expectations are tempered etc. I see more subtle connections between Bond and Madelaine that help me put some stock in the romance, although I do wish it was built better.

Also, finally found the line that really pisses me off the most and really ties Bond and Blofeld together - "in a way you could say you were responsible for the path I chose" (something along those lines). It just reinforces that idea of Blofeld becoming the evil mastermind because dad liked James better, which I hate more than anything else in the entire 24 film series. Hands down.

Some will say "well he said, 'in a way,' blah blah blah" but whatever. It's right there in the screenplay. Bond influenced Blofeld's past. I hated the foster brother relationship to begin with, as Blofeld works better as this mysterious force of terrorism and evil genius.

Just think of how angry we'd all be if we found out Joker was Bruce Wayne's foster brother growing up and he went insane because he was jealous of Bruce. I get that it's not the sole reason Blofeld went all crazy (I get the sense that he was just a nut period) but it definitely influenced him. No doubt. It's right in the text. And that angers me even more than the connection to begin with. Would have loved to see Waltz do a well-written Blofeld who was just the SPECTRE leader, and nothing more.

All that said, enjoyed it more than ever this time, which is a good thing. Still has lots I don't like, especially the final act. I really hate how we cut back to "what's going on back at mi6" so often. It slows the whole thing down. All that nonsense with C. I hate that whole subplot (even though it is a big part of the plot..regardless..it just bogs everything down).

Beautiful film aesthetically and I like Newman's score although a few cues are a bit too "fisher price my first action score" for my taste (like "Snow Plane," although it does have that wonderful TB-esque moment, but that only lasts for a second or so).