Sir Sean Connery in Sir Billi

edited August 2013 in Actors Posts: 5,767
Look at that. All those years Sir Sean doesn´t want to have anything to do with Her Majesty´s finest, and now he´s done what almost looks like a proper Bond film, disguised as animation movie:

Sorry, don´t know why the player shows only as a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=n5-9Nub4MtI
MI6 wrote:
Sir Billi
23rd August 2013
Sir Sean Connery's animated adventure has secured a cinema and DVD release...

The adventure that started several years prior as a short film, but one that lured Sir Sean Connery out of retirement to voice the lead character, is now coming to cinemas and DVD. Kaleidoscope Entertainment has announced the release of "Sir Billi", which has a voice talent (in addition to Connery) that includes "GoldenEye" alumni Alan Cumming, and Miriam Margolyes ("Romeo + Juliet", "Babe"). The title track is sung by Bond Songstress Dame Shirley Bassey, and the film is directed by Sascha Hartmann.

Pre-Order (Amazon UK)

The original short film, "Sir Billi the Vet", was released in 2006, and also saw Bond star Connery lend his voice to the eccentric, skate-boarding veterinarian in his race to save an illegal fugitive - Bessie Boo the beaver.

Connery has been talking about the production of "Sir Billi" since 2010 - back when he confirmed he had recorded the voice for the feature length animated picture - but it has taken until 2013 for the Scottish independent film to secure a large release. Boasting itself as Scotland's first full-length animated feature film, "Sir Billi" will be in cinemas from 13th September 2013 and on DVD from 16th September.

Synopsis
An ageing, skateboarding veterinarian Sir Billi goes above and beyond the call of duty fighting villainous policemen and powerful lairds in a battle to save an illegal fugitive - Bessie Boo the beaver! A heart-warming and action packed family movie where thrilling car chases, heroic skydiving and daring stunts from this octogenarian, fuelled with encounters with a hostile submarine, will keep you on the edge of your seat!

Comments

I think it is because it appeals to Sean's Scottish Nationalism soft spot?!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,350
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I think it is because it appeals to Sean's Scottish Nationalism soft spot?!

I agree. This is a one and only kind of deal, unless Scotland get their independence next year. ;)
  • Looks awful in every way. This and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen are two bad films to go out on, though the latter has its moments as a TV spectacle to be fair.

Oh for a decent swan song, so long as it's not Red 3 - or Expendables 3.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It reminds me of that terrible CGI Inspector Gadget film.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    That all looks very GoldenEye-ish - right down to the lettering used in the trailer there.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention, Defence Minister @boldfinger!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Interesting; definitely interesting. If you recited this plot to me I would probably laugh my butt off and ask if you were pulling a prank on me. This is actually true, then?!

EDIT: Here is a longer trailer:

This should be a great "end" to Sean's career, going out in a film where there are many winks to his finest hour as James Bond 007.
  • Bradford4Bradford4 Banned
    A great end? I don't think so.. This looks incredibly cheap, its been on the shelf for YEARS mate... Connery isn't exactly giving a graceful performance.
    Watching that trailer makes me want to vomit. Looks absolutely bloody awful. Connery is as bored as ever and even "Trailer Voice Man" sounds like he's taking the piss. No wonder it could never find a distributor.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Bradford4 wrote:
    A great end? I don't think so.. This looks incredibly cheap, its been on the shelf for YEARS mate... Connery isn't exactly giving a graceful performance.

That's your opinion. I'm not going to judge this before I see it.
    I'm agreeing with Sir Willy, I mean @WillyGalore, on this one. Still, it is only a trailer and some very good films don't have the best trailers but I doubt it for this film to be honest with you. I will of course watch this first, then pass my final verdict.

http://www.scotsman.com/what-s-on/film/fierce-attack-on-sir-sean-connery-s-final-film-sir-billi-1-2238064
    Well I´m sure the film will appeal. As long as the audiences are not over 6 years.

boldfinger wrote:
    Well I´m sure the film will appeal. As long as the audiences are not over 6 years.

I think that's being a tad optimistic!
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 824
    What a bunch of whining, negative, miserable old men!.

Why not wait and actually watch the film and then comment on it, I know that's a fairly radical idea but try it. It's what I'll be doing. If it's awful, I'll say so but to just crucify a film based on a trailer is sad.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.

Why not wait and actually watch the film and then comment on it, I know that's a fairly radical idea but try it. It's what I'll be doing. If it's awful, I'll say so but to just crucify a film based on a trailer is sad.[/quote. There will always be people who judge a book by its cover. I have ordered this today and will see what I think of it before making any comments .
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 5,767

Why not wait and actually watch the film and then comment on it, I know that's a fairly radical idea but try it. It's what I'll be doing. If it's awful, I'll say so but to just crucify a film based on a trailer is sad.
    Maybe some of us are merely crucifying the trailers. They sure don´t make me want to see the film.

• This is a voice over for an animated film, people. It doesn't qualify as a film starring Connery on screen and is certainly nothing to take him to task for. It's not remotely close to qualifying for a Bond film, it's a animated feature for the whole family. It's just ridiculous to take Sir Sean to task over this. Period.
    I hope Sir Sean's having a great day! ;)
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I know he's really proud of being Scottish but he came out of retirement for this? Looks pretty crap.
    It doesn't qualify as a film starring Connery on screen

I'm sure there are lots of voice actors that'd disagree with you. An animated film is still a film and voice acting is still acting. So I think it's fair to say that this is a film starring Connery.
  • I know he's really proud of being Scottish but he came out of retirement for this? Looks pretty crap.
    It doesn't qualify as a film starring Connery on screen

I'm sure there are lots of voice actors that'd disagree with you. An animated film is still a film and voice acting is still acting. So I think it's fair to say that this is a film starring Connery.

It's a form of acting, sure, but it only qualifies as a film starring Connery's voice on screen and not Connery himself. People have already mentioned his last screen appearances in the same breath and it's an unfair comparison between the two mediums. Only his voice and how he says the lines can be fairly criticized.
    I know he's really proud of being Scottish but he came out of retirement for this?

No, he did this in the early 00's before calling it a day. It's only now seeing the light of day.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    @PeterGreenhill I have just looked at my last post and I seem to have steped on your toes a bit in the way that it reads so please except my apology I will have my glasses on in the future
    Regards Coggins .
  • This looks terrific to me- finally some fun in Hoolywood ! Hollowoood Scotland !