Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Potential spoilers
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Potential spoilers

Wow? Well I am not going to see what they would be? I will just watch it unfold in the cinema?!!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2019 Posts: 23,325

A good watch for those interested in what goes on during the film making process, there is some unused footage I have not seen previously
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

I'm not sure I agree with that, but I'm speaking strictly from personal opinion--or rather, from personal "desire". Over the years, I have consumed so much SW product, including the films, the animated output and more, from EU comics to games to novels, that I can honestly say that there is joy to be had with all of those. For me, that is. Because while I respectfully acknowledge that nothing beats Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, and that almost everything else in the SW universe pales in comparison, I enjoy almost every bit of SW output, I enjoy expanding the universe, and I enjoy discovering new things in said universe.

I will concede that the voluminous output of SW products may induce a sense of fatigue. You miss one film, you have barely caught up with it by the time the next one is playing. Meanwhile, they're announcing TV series left and right, and two more trilogies are scheduled while the current one isn't finished yet. It takes less for some people to consider themselves done with the whole thing, especially if the quality of some of the recent films may not entirely be up to their liking. This is also the reason why I wouldn't want to see the Bond films "marvelled out" in the extreme.

Ergo, if SW really has gone off the rails in the opinion of most, and if that means that they're risking severe consumer disinterest, I, of course, welcome any and every effort to slow down. But personally speaking, I'm okay with SW furnishing its universe with even more facts, cool characters and events. That said, I'm perfectly happy to get my fix through comics alone. If the problem is too many films in quick succession plus an overdose of TV stuff, they should probably cut back a little.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I'm not sure I agree with that, but I'm speaking strictly from personal opinion--or rather, from personal "desire". Over the years, I have consumed so much SW product, including the films, the animated output and more, from EU comics to games to novels, that I can honestly say that there is joy to be had with all of those. For me, that is. Because while I respectfully acknowledge that nothing beats Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, and that almost everything else in the SW universe pales in comparison, I enjoy almost every bit of SW output, I enjoy expanding the universe, and I enjoy discovering new things in said universe.

I will concede that the voluminous output of SW products may induce a sense of fatigue. You miss one film, you have barely caught up with it by the time the next one is playing. Meanwhile, they're announcing TV series left and right, and two more trilogies are scheduled while the current one isn't finished yet. It takes less for some people to consider themselves done with the whole thing, especially if the quality of some of the recent films may not entirely be up to their liking. This is also the reason why I wouldn't want to see the Bond films "marvelled out" in the extreme.

Ergo, if SW really has gone off the rails in the opinion of most, and if that means that they're risking severe consumer disinterest, I, of course, welcome any and every effort to slow down. But personally speaking, I'm okay with SW furnishing its universe with even more facts, cool characters and events. That said, I'm perfectly happy to get my fix through comics alone. If the problem is too many films in quick succession plus an overdose of TV stuff, they should probably cut back a little.

This is why I would not like to see an expanded Bond verse.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I don't buy much of what Disney say, the bottom line is if the writing is good the level of output becomes irrelevant. I think after the Skywalker Saga has concluded Disney will get a second wind and will be far more comfortable with original material and characters
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    The Empire Strikes Back is the greatest movie ever made.
    BondStu wrote: »
    The Empire Strikes Back is the greatest movie ever made.

Of course it is. Who cares about Citizen Cane, Lawrence of Arabia, Raiders of the Lost Ark, 8 1/2, 2001 A Space Odyssey, ...

;) But I get where you're coming from.
    Univex wrote: »
    Of course it is. Who cares about Citizen Cane, Lawrence of Arabia, Raiders of the Lost Ark, 8 1/2, 2001 A Space Odyssey, ...

Not me!
    Univex wrote: »
    ;) But I get where you're coming from.

Cause you know I'm right! :))
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Any money the Russo Brothers write and direct.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 23,325

Sounds good on paper
    edited September 2019 Posts: 373
    Even though I did enjoy The Force Awakens and Rogue One - I don't think Disney really has a clue when it comes to Star Wars. They're just whacking the words "Star Wars" on any old crap cause they know it's an automatic money spinner.

When George Lucas started this all up - the only person he was out to please was himself. And even though the original movie was a wild runaway success he still clung on to his creative control. All the merchandise, pop culture stuff - it was a happy accident. It all started cause a man had a dream. And he didn't allow the success to faze him. He never took his eye off the ball. And cause of that we now have "The Empire Strikes Back".
    He hired the right people on that one for sure.

Back in the days of the original trilogy... those movies meant something.

Say what you want about the prequels. They'll never be among my favourites (which I'm sure comes as no surprise) - but at least Lucas stayed true to himself and the artistic vision.

Now Disney have got a hold of it - it's just another asset in their already overstuffed corporate portfolio.

And as for The Last Jedi.... that isn't a movie you watch. It's a movie you have a fight with.

Simply put - Disney want to get into our pockets. George Lucas wanted to get into our heads. Therein lies the distinction AND the problem.

Star Wars is forever tainted now.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Simply put - Disney want to get into our pockets. George Lucas wanted to get into our heads. Therein lies the distinction AND the problem.

I agree with this statement. Lucas could have made a carbon copy movie like TFA or a new trilogy with the original three and he knew that would grant him a lot of money. He made what he wanted to do, admittedly there are pretty poor moments in the prequel trilogy and there are many things I don't like about them, but I'll forever respect Lucas for doing what he liked and not selling himself to the market.
    And as for The Last Jedi.... that isn't a movie you watch. It's a movie you have a fight with.

On the other hand, I have no idea what this means.
    @Walecs - that statement just describes how I feel about it every time I watch it. It just takes everything I personally love about Star Wars and almost tosses it completely out of the window. Especially in it's treatment of Luke Skywalker.

The hero I grew up with is not the sort of guy that would try to kill his own nephew.

I do not know why this movie was made, nor who it was made for.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited September 2019 Posts: 7,854
    @Walecs - that statement just describes how I feel about it every time I watch it. It just takes everything I personally love about Star Wars and almost tosses it completely out of the window. Especially in it's treatment of Luke Skywalker.

The hero I grew up with is not the sort of guy that would try to kill his own nephew.

Everybody acts like Luke wanted to kill his nephew, which tells me you either only believe Kylo's interpretation or you just never watched the movie. Here we have a man shouldering the responsibility to bring the Jedi Order back from extinction, and felt he couldn't risk letting it fall again, so he wrestled with what he thought was his only choice...

And he doesn't.

Watch the movie again and actually pay attention, please, because what you're saying makes me feel you just don't know what the scene really is.

Everybody acts like Luke wanted to kill his nephew, which tells me you either only believe Kylo's interpretation or you just never watched the movie. Here we have a man shouldering the responsibility to bring the Jedi Order back from extinction, and felt he couldn't risk letting it fall again, so he wrestled with what he thought was his only choice...

And he doesn't.

Watch the movie again and actually pay attention, please, because what you're saying makes me feel you just don't know what the scene really is.

Exactly.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Interesting thoughts @Agent007391. I'm not a fan overall of TLJ, but I will defend that scene. Of course Luke didn't want to kill Ben. It was just a momentary, intense burst of anger. Haven't we all been so mad at someone that we wanted to just strangle them (or worse) but of course we don't. Can you imagine how betrayed Luke felt when he read Ben's mind? It was pure rage flowing through him... and then it passed.

I also feel like it humanizes Luke, which I enjoyed. Even the most powerful Jedi Master of his time still struggles with the dark side, with controlling his anger. Which we have seen him struggle with before. Luke has always been a relatable character. I certainly don't agree with all of the choices Rian Johnson made, but I'm okay with that part.
    So much for regretting over milking the Star Wars cow?!!!

@Agent007391

First - *takes deep breath*

Second - Movies are open to interpretation. As all great art is. So how about you drop the patronising tone and respect other people's opinion - and while you're at it - stop automatically presuming YOUR interpretation is always the right one?

And before you answer - please note I didn't attack YOUR OPINION AND INTERPRETATION of the story once in this reply.

Second - Movies are open to interpretation. As all great art is. So how about you drop the patronising tone and respect other people's opinion - and while you're at it - stop automatically presuming YOUR interpretation is always the right one?

Disagree. It is explicitly said that Luke only had a vague and short thought about killing Kylo Ren. You can't deny what's shown on screen because it's "open to interpretation". Otherwise the godawful codename theory could be true as well.
    Imagine if facts no longer existed and everything was an opinion.
    In my opinion Palpatine was not a bad guy, he never killed anyone and all the Jedi killed themselves. Order 66 was never a thing, it was a massive group suicide. All the Jedi decided to kill themselves and Yoda made it look like it was Palpatine who ordered the clones to kill them. Palpatine actually brought freedom, justice and security to the galaxy and Luke, Leia and Han only fought the Empire because they're spoiled little brats.
    Walecs wrote: »

Disagree. It is explicitly said that Luke only had a vague and short thought about killing Kylo Ren. You can't deny what's shown on screen because it's "open to interpretation". Otherwise the godawful codename theory could be true as well.
    In my opinion Palpatine was not a bad guy, he never killed anyone and all the Jedi killed themselves. Order 66 was never a thing, it was a massive group suicide. All the Jedi decided to kill themselves and Yoda made it look like it was Palpatine who ordered the clones to kill them. Palpatine actually brought freedom, justice and security to the galaxy and Luke, Leia and Han only fought the Empire because they're spoiled little brats.

I'd disagree without trying to make you look stupid or getting in your face for it. That's what I'd do.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

@Agent007391

First - *takes deep breath*

And before you answer - please note I didn't attack YOUR OPINION AND INTERPRETATION of the story once in this reply.

First of all, what I stated wasn't "opinion" or "interpretation", it was all explicitly pointed out in the film itself.

Second, while my tone wasn't intended to be patronising in any way and I'm sorry you took it that way, don't assume it was how I meant for it to be taken.

Third, no, you're not attacking my "interpretation" or "opinion", you're almost attacking the very fact that I have one counter to yours in the first place.

I'm sorry you didn't like the movie and I did, but you're taking this one scene and treating it as if Luke was ready to behead his nephew at the drop of a hat when that was not the case in any version of the scene we saw except for Kylo's, the one shown to us through the lens of a scared young man who's been further twisted by the dark side to believe everyone he ever looked up to hated and used him.

Again, I'm sorry if this seems like "an attack" to you, but it's not. I'm merely asking you to look at that scene in context of all three versions shown to us throughout the movie, because it seems as though you're not as an excuse to hate the movie.
    @Agent007391 - ignore me mate. I'm being a dick. Sorry. Hope we're cool.

But back to Last Jedi - I still stand by what I said. I'm not going to continue the personal interpretation angle cause I don't think I've got anywhere else to go with it really.

But taking into account what you're saying (even if my recall of events is wrong) that still isn't a way I want Luke Skywalker to behave.

The idea of the character is that he was the Sheriff who rode into town to take out the trash. The white knight. The hero. And he more than paid his dues.

Wanting to kill his nephew? Wanting the Jedi to be gone when the galaxy needs them the most? That just ain't Luke to me.

And THEN there's all the other stuff. I won't bore you with it unless you want me to.
    @Agent007391 - ignore me mate. I'm being a dick. Sorry. Hope we're cool.

But back to Last Jedi - I still stand by what I said. I'm not going to continue the personal interpretation angle cause I don't think I've got anywhere else to go with it really.

But taking into account what you're saying (even if my recall of events is wrong) that still isn't a way I want Luke Skywalker to behave.

The idea of the character is that he was the Sheriff who rode into town to take out the trash. The white knight. The hero. And he more than paid his dues.

Wanting to kill his nephew? Wanting the Jedi to be gone when the galaxy needs them the most? That just ain't Luke to me.

And THEN there's all the other stuff. I won't bore you with it unless you want me to.

I understand feeling the way you do, I really do. But even Empire and Jedi showed us a conflicted Luke who struggled with his choices before ultimately making the right one, the same Luke we see in TLJ. He fought with the idea of killing Ben Solo, because he thought it was the only choice, but made the decision not to. He fought with the idea of destroying the tree on Ahch-to, but couldn't (in the end Yoda did because Yoda is just that way). He fought with seeing himself as a failure, but ultimately decided he needed to step up and help, which he did. This is no different to me than when he almost killed his father on the Death Star but ultimately decided he couldn't because it would be the final step to the dark side.

Even in the end, Luke realizes the Jedi are needed, but after so much personal betrayal - both against and by himself - he'd just been worn down too much. When you look at his arc, it's a longer, but less intense version of the same character arc Anakin went through in the prequels. He started off as an idealistic young kid who just wanted to see the stars, but then he saw them and realized the galaxy was not the pretty place it looked like from his bedroom window. The difference between them was that Luke didn't outright fall to the darkness brewing within him and turned it around in the end, while Anakin needed the push from his son to get back from that place. TLJ shows us a Luke who, while not completely fallen, now needs that push because of everything that's happened to him. The goal of the movie is to show us that Luke still is that idealistic farm boy we saw at the beginning, but the pressures and failures of adulthood have buried him underneath a level of grime that he needs to wipe away.

You can't honestly tell me that after destroying your own relationship with your nephew and then watching your students slaughtered, you'd wipe the dust off your shoulders and go "Time to turn the other cheek".

I don't agree with many of the decisions Rian Johnson made with TLJ, but Luke's character arc was one I did agree with, as it continues the cyclical nature of the saga.

I'd disagree without trying to make you look stupid or getting in your face for it. That's what I'd do.

I don't think anyone who describes a fictional character who lives on another planet "the hero I grew up with" can be taken seriously.
    I don't think anyone who describes a fictional character who lives on another planet "the hero I grew up with" can be taken seriously.

:))

That probably would've bothered me if I respected you or your opinion!