The best Bond director/actor "couple"?

edited August 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 14,816
Who was, in your opinion, the best team up between Bond actor and Bond director? The one that made the best, most intelligent movie(s), where the creative spirit was at its best, etc.

I would say Terence Young and Sean Connery and I think now maybe Mendes and Craig might be the next best (although not quite as perfect). But what do you think?

Comments

• Definitely Young and Connery. The two of them invented film Bond.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Definitely Young and Connery.
  • Definitely Young and Connery. They echo through the ages.
    I'm not always a conformist but, in this case yes, Young & Connery.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Young & Connery, of course but now let's see what Mendes and Craig can do taking us into the future.
    Definitely Young and Connery. They echo through the ages.

Very,very well put!
    Wow, I didn't start much of a debate. So, after Young and Connery, which one was the best?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Ludovico wrote:
    Wow, I didn't start much of a debate. So, after Young and Connery, which one was the best?

Well I think you could've seen that one coming ;-)

Anyway, second for me is Craig/ Mendes.

• edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Ludovico wrote:

Dalton/Glen. They might not have liked each other in real life but I chose them because they made what I think are the best films in the franchise.
    Ludovico wrote:

Dalton/Glen. They might not have liked each other in real life but I chose them because they made what I think are the best films in the franchise.

I actually think LTK suffered from this tension. Or rather from Glen. With another lead as Bond it would have been much worse.
  • I love Moore/Glen. He brought out the best in Moore after Hamilton and Gilbert's silliness. But Connery/Young were the best. Guy Hamilton made some fun movies but didn't bring the best out of Connery or Moore.
    Dalton/Glen always worked for me because, despite the tension they made my #4 and #2 Bond films. Lazenby/Hunt, again despite tension off-screen, was wonderful. Campbell/Craig resulted in the best film in the series and as much as I love Mendes and am ecstatic that he's doing 24, I really hope Craig finishes off with Campbell, though it's unlikely to happen.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 1,817
    Dalton/Glen always worked for me because, despite the tension they made my #4 and #2 Bond films. Lazenby/Hunt, again despite tension off-screen, was wonderful. Campbell/Craig resulted in the best film in the series and as much as I love Mendes and am ecstatic that he's doing 24, I really hope Craig finishes off with Campbell, though it's unlikely to happen.

This one was perhaps the worst of all: according to documentaries, Hunt payed little attention to Lazenby's acting (the one who needed more advise from all!)

Young-Connery was the best not only for the screen product but also from the well-known preproduction course that Young gave to Connery about knowing his way though the world.
    Connery and Terence Young. First and foremost, but also greatly enjoyed Moore and Guy Hamilton / Lewis Gilbert. Even Lazenby and Peter Hunt were a success
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,690
    Connery and Young 1st, then Dalton and Glen.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Yeah I'm going to say it I'm afraid if a great Bond and journeyman director who didn't even get on can get the title then a Oscar winning director and the biggest box office Bond can

Craig & Mendes

Sorry I love Skyfall and have no problem admitting it, OHMSS is my favourite Bond but I couldn't really call Hunt & Lazenby the best pairing despite the brilliance that came from the team up.

Craig & Mendes seemed to be born to work on a Bond film and worked in collaboration like no other director/ actor partnership.

Connery & Young definitely but just because they started it all doesn't mean they are my pick.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Young and Connery defined the cinematic Bond and without them the series may not have survived as long as it has. Their legacy is very strong.

Then Campbell and Craig closely followed by Mendes and Craig.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,894
    I would love nothing more than to say Dalton & Glen, but they didn't work as a team. It's well known that Glen left his actors to their own devices, in order to concentrate on the action. I could only dream of what would have come out of a Bond film where Dalton had a director that fully supported his intentions. Alas...

So despite my Bond fan loyalty to the Dalton era, I would have to nominate Connery & Young.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited August 2013 Posts: 3,262
    Definitely Connery and Young for reasons already stated above. I'm also going to lavish some praise on the Moore and Gilbert combo. They seemed to work very well together at a time when Moore was truly hitting his stride in the role and prior to his age becoming a noticeable factor. Moore later said TSWLM was his favorite of his Bond films and if memory serves me correctly his working with Gilbert was a primary reason.
    I know I'm going to be really boring here but it is also Young/Connery for me too (although the working relationship between Gilbert/Moore was excellent).
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Definitely Connery and Young for reasons already stated above. I'm also going to lavish some praise on the Moore and Gilbert combo. They seemed to work very well together at a time when Moore was truly hitting his stride in the role and prior to his age becoming a noticeable factor. Moore later said TSWLM was his favorite of his Bond films and if memory serves me correctly his working with Gilbert was a primary reason.

Ah, I just about to say this.

1. Connery/Young - the defined the role/style of the films
    2.Moore/Gilbert
    3. Craig/Mendes
    4. Lazenby/Hunt
    1.) Connery & Young
    Neither Gilbert or Hamilton nailed Bond as well as Young. In fact no director has really nailed Bond as well as Young did. Connery and him were the dream team and made some fantastic films together.

2.) Lazenby & Hunt
    I know they only did one and their relationship was far from harmonious but their are many films where unhappy sets resulted in great movies.

3.) Moore & Gilbert
    No one understood how to do big Bond films better than Gilbert. He got Roger's Bond spot on. He made the action grand, the humour funny and really got Roger in his groove.

4.) Dalton
    I don't really credit Glen for his work here as I think Dalton possibly deserved a better director. I love those two film but I feel they could have gone down as classics had someone with a more refined eye tackled them and worked with Dalton.

5.) Brosnan & Campbell
    All the other directors during Brosnan's era were pal imitations of Campbell, and the wrose thing is the producers knew it. Campbell is the only person who really holds a candle up to Terence Young on the Bond director stakes.

6.) Craig & Mendes
    Great team, a proper creative unit who are committed to the movie on an artistic level. They are my favourate pair mainly becasue I love DC's interpretation of the character and I think no one understands that more than Mendes.