Connery-Bond Random fits of Anger

edited August 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 686
I have noticed something from Connery-Bond era, these seemingly random outburst or fits of anger by Connery-Bond. I am bothered by them because they appear to occur without any real context. They seem to occur with less frequency in Moore-era, however, they seem to have more context than they did during the Connery-Bond era.

I have also noticed in Thunderball he seems to be angry at everyone including his good friend Felix Leiter.

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,787
    In Dr No who can forget his ignorant and brutish (at least in the face of enemy danger!) "Here, come here, you" to the Dragon guards? He also has a rather nasty (and unFlemingesque) habit of hitting women around that Moore Bond was forced to relive ion TMWTGG. Connery is the least pleasant of all those that played James Bond.

I was going to write a Bondologist piece on this subject-matter entitled "The Commanding Nature of Sean Connery as James Bond" but it's on the back burner currently.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2013 Posts: 11,139
    Bond is a man that takes control and Connery conveyed that perfectly. Bond isn't always supposed to be pleasant. He can be a mean, nasty mother-effer and although some of his fast talking barking in Dr.No could be somewhat jarring and hilarious; one thing is undeniable, Connery was the definition of Alpha Male. Beating bad guys to a pulp, slapping women, it makes no difference; Bond or at least Connery's Bond is the hero we needed/need wether he was wanted or not. I personally have no problem with his mean and nasty streak; it gave him distinguishable character.
    I think I I can see the point you're trying to make but I'm not sure 'fits of anger' is perhaps the right turn of phrase.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 14,816
    doubleoego wrote:
    Bond is a man that takes control and Connery conveyed that perfectly. Bond isn't always supposed to be pleasant. He can be a mean, nasty mother-effer and although some of his fast talking barking in Dr.No could be somewhat jarring and hilarious; one thing is undeniable, Connery was the definition of Alpha Male. Beating bad guys to a pulp, slapping women, it makes no difference; Bond or at least Connery's Bond is the hero we needed/need wether he was wanted or not. I personally have no problem with his mean and nasty streak; it gave him distinguishable character.

I agree with this. I always thought his anger was appropriate, professional in a way. When he slaps Tatiana for instance, he is treating her as an enemy agent, his anger is calculated, focused. I find Connery far more believable as a spy in his early Bond movies (until TB) than his late ones.
  • I also think that "fits of anger" is not quite the right term I would use either. Inappropriate moments including his overt brand of chauvinism are surely found, but it seemed to me that his bouts of anger were mostly appropriate for the situation, even if occasionally jarring.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    In Dr No who can forget his ignorant and brutish (at least in the face of enemy danger!) "Here, come here, you" to the Dragon guards? He also has a rather nasty (and unFlemingesque) habit of hitting women around that Moore Bond was forced to relive ion TMWTGG. Connery is the least pleasant of all those that played James Bond.

I was going to write a Bondologist piece on this subject-matter entitled "The Commanding Nature of Sean Connery as James Bond" but it's on the back burner currently.
    Perhaps you don't understand; suffice that I disagree completely. Therefore, your article should remain unwrit.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Richardo wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Perhaps you don't understand; suffice that I disagree completely. Therefore, your article should remain unwrit.

@Dragonpol was making a perfectly salient point. Just because you may disagree with someone, which is a view you are also entitled to, does not give you the right to tell other another member what opinions they should or should not share with the rest of us.
    Richardo wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Well, it was only an idea that I was throwing out there, @Richardo. I doubt it will ever be written as I've so much other stuff to do in any event. So no need to worry about that.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Richardo wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

If only your posts would remain 'unwrit'.
  • The definitive Bond/Connery had always shown his 'fits of anger' at appropriate situations amidst his risky spygame. His anger was only unveil the truth from his opponent when necessitated, be it a male or a female.
    Dragonpol wrote:

The scene in Dr No that really sticks out is when he gets angry with the Policeman in Strangeway's house over the radio.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Perdogg wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

The scene in Dr No that really sticks out is when he gets angry with the Policeman in Strangeway's house over the radio.

He's being extremely curt towards the policeman when he says "and it'll stay dead" but that's not expressing anger towards him.
  • In Dr No Connery does adopt a brusque manner, cos he is acting Bond like he's a real bloke in danger; any flippancy and he would be a dead man. Craig has the same approach in CR hence he is often surly and doesn't suffer fools. Later Connery mellows in the role as you can't quite take it seriously.

The worst occasion is when he is at Pussfellows and barks questions at Quarrel, who by now has shown himself to be an ally. It does seem quite racist.
  • Yeah, in that scene he speaks to Quarrel as though he's a complete idiot.
    I wonder why they left it like that - must have been intentional?
    I need to see that pussfella club scene again but iirc Bond was barking questions at both Quarrel and Felix. As I mentioned in my earlier post it was jarring yet funny, seeing someone conversate in a somewhat hostile and ironically loud manner with people sat right next to him.
  • I'm surprised no one has mentioned the moment he smacks Tiffany Case with his tie in DAF.

Pound for pound perhaps the most unsavory and ugliest moment in the series history. Bond is attempting to extract info from Tiffany and quickly lashes out when she contemptously says he "sounds like a cop."

Ugly as it is, there is no denying it is an electrifying moment that completely sums up the darker nature of Bond's character.

For him to react that violently is a confirmation of the fact that the only insult that can truly rattle Bonds armor is to refer to him as a "stupid policeman" as Dr.No once had.

In a film as lightweight as DAF the moment is like a clap of thunder and it offers us the insight that even our beloved 007 can be ugly and petty. A very telling moment.

"Welcome to hell, Blofeld."
    I'm not a mysoginist or anything but I love it when Bond puts the beatdown on women. It shows the series has balls to be daring and different. Bond is a no nonsense man of action. Man, woman or child, you get in the way, you'll get a double 0 slap. Interestingly enough, the last time Bond put his hand on a woman was when Bond judo chopped Onnatop on the back if her neck at the graveyard; a great moment.
  • How about in Thunderball when Connery basically screams at Largo's henchman to leave after discovering him hiding in the hotel room (after punching Felix in the gut, just to be a jerk because he reveals his number anyway, I might add :P )... "NOWMOVE!"
  • How about in Thunderball when Connery basically screams at Largo's henchman to leave after discovering him hiding in the hotel room (after punching Felix in the gut, just to be a jerk because he reveals his number anyway, I might add :P )... "NOWMOVE!"

I could be wrong but I always heard that as Felix shouting to the henchman, not Bond?

I could be wrong but I always heard that as Felix shouting to the henchman, not Bond?

That was definitely Connery's voice. Unmistakable as a vintage Solera ;)

edited December 2013 Posts: 17,787
    On re-watching Dr. No I think it would be fair to say that Connery-Bond is very curt throughout. And, on second thoughts, I've decided to add that article idea to my blog Upcoming Papers list.
    How about in Thunderball when Connery basically screams at Largo's henchman to leave after discovering him hiding in the hotel room (after punching Felix in the gut, just to be a jerk because he reveals his number anyway, I might add :P )... "NOWMOVE!"

That's the funniest bit of Connery's career!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Typical behaviour for people who have a problem with addiction.
    Typical behaviour for people who have a problem with addiction.

Addiction to what, pray tell, @Thunderfinger?

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond clearly has a light addiction to booze, nicotine, central stimuli and sex. Whenever he is missing out on those things, it will be normal for him to become irritable over any minor issue.
    Bond clearly has a light addiction to booze, nicotine, central stimuli and sex. Whenever he is missing out on those things, it will be normal for him to become irritable over any minor issue.

Thanks for expanding on that. A good point I'd not thought of before.
    Personally I am generally in awe every time Connery appears on screen doing anything, in any of his 6 Eon films, and even in NSNA he looks damn good, even if he isn't quite the commanding presence.
    Connery as Bond. There truly is nothing better in the history of cinema.
    timmer wrote:
    Personally I am generally in awe every time Connery appears on screen doing anything, in any of his 6 Eon films, and even in NSNA he looks damn good, even if he isn't quite the commanding presence.
    Connery as Bond. There truly is nothing better in the history of cinema.

Yes, I agree that he was a very hard act to follow. He was most brilliant in Dr. No which I watched recently.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The phrase, 'Bit*ch slap' comes to mind... :-??
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    I'm surprised no one has brought up the moment in FRWL, when Bond informs Kerim's son that his dad is dead... not only does he say it in a very cold manner, but he gets an attitude with the boy - when he's still trying to process the fact that his dad is dead.