All Time High- A forgotten Bond theme?

2»

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    CraterGuns wrote:
    Mediocre song... One of the worst unfortunately.
    Agreed.

It's just "elevator" music to me. (Or perhaps I should say "lift".)

Yes, "lift".
    Dragonpol wrote:
    CraterGuns wrote:
    Mediocre song... One of the worst unfortunately.
    Agreed.

It's just "elevator" music to me. (Or perhaps I should say "lift".)

Yes, "lift".

I find this time to lift my spirit. Gosh that is a pun worthy of the Brosnan era.
    I actually have all the Bond theme songs on my iPod. After a while, I made a "Bond Favorites" so I wouldn't need to listen to the ones I don't like during my daily commute. "All Time High" didn't make it into my favorites list but it's not among those that are difficult for me to hear, such as "Another Way to Die" or "Tomorrow Never Dies".
    Dr_Yes wrote:
    I actually have all the Bond theme songs on my iPod. After a while, I made a "Bond Favorites" so I wouldn't need to listen to the ones I don't like during my daily commute. "All Time High" didn't make it into my favorites list but it's not among those that are difficult for me to hear, such as "Another Way to Die" or "Tomorrow Never Dies".

Interesting idea to do that, but I'm not very tech-savvy, I'm afraid.

Dragonpol wrote:
    Dr_Yes wrote:

I usually ride the bus to work these days but when I was still driving all the time, I'd play a CD that included the James Bond theme. I noticed that whenever the Bond theme track started playing, I'd drive faster as if I were in a car chase - a Pavlovian response(?)!
    Dr_Yes wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dr_Yes wrote:

I usually ride the bus to work these days but when I was still driving all the time, I'd play a CD that included the James Bond theme. I noticed that whenever the Bond theme track started playing, I'd drive faster as if I were in a car chase - a Pavlovian response(?)!

Yes, I'd imagine so. Fleming referred to Dr Pavlov in several of his novels.
    'All Time High' isnt in my top 10, but its certainly not one of the worst - I would definately put it before the likes 'Another Way to Die', 'Die Another Day' or 'The Man with the Golden Gun'..This is probably going to sound like a really stupid thing to say, and i know that a Bond song with the name 'Octopussy' in it would have sounded rediculous, but maybe i'd have a better connection with the song if the name of the film was included..I like the tune, melody and Rita Coolage's voice, but perhaps it isnt as memorable as some of the stronger songs..
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Yes I'm not a big fan of either Lulu or TMWTGG.

What do you all think of this alternate version by Alice Cooper? Better or worse?

As many have said, All Time High it's not the most memorable nor the worst. But I like a lot the film version, hearing the opening notes with Moore's smile after the "fill her up please". I think it's one of the best transitions from PTS to title sequence.
    0013 wrote:
    As many have said, All Time High it's not the most memorable nor the worst. But I like a lot the film version, hearing the opening notes with Moore's smile after the "fill her up please". I think it's one of the best transitions from PTS to title sequence.

I agree, but then I do love that rare specimen - Octopussy!
  • I think it's a really poor tune and totally unsuitable for a Bond main theme.
    I know that musical styles change throughout the years but I mean, compare say, the quality of OHMSS to ATH. I don't think it even fits the film either.
    Unsuitable and jolly well unacceptable.
    So there!

0013 wrote:

It's too hokey for my taste. But I find that whole PTS overrated, the movie as well.
    I think it's a really poor tune and totally unsuitable for a Bond main theme.
    I know that musical styles change throughout the years but I mean, compare say, the quality of OHMSS to ATH. I don't think it even fits the film either.
    Unsuitable and jolly well unacceptable.
    So there!

Yes, I think that you have a point, there. It does seem out of place as a love song in a Bond film, although some way it followed the lead of OHMSS's 'We Have All The Time in the World'.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited August 2013 Posts: 23,547
    Zorin61 wrote:
    'All Time High' isnt in my top 10, but its certainly not one of the worst - I would definately put it before the likes 'Another Way to Die', 'Die Another Day' or 'The Man with the Golden Gun'..This is probably going to sound like a really stupid thing to say, and i know that a Bond song with the name 'Octopussy' in it would have sounded rediculous, but maybe i'd have a better connection with the song if the name of the film was included..I like the tune, melody and Rita Coolage's voice, but perhaps it isnt as memorable as some of the stronger songs..

I agree, @Zorin61. :-) I find it strange that they didn't mind including Thunderball or Moonraker into the song's title, yet walked away from including Octopussy. It's the film's title anyway so no point growing worried over it. Just imagine where the lyrics could have gone. ;-)

He commands a tiger to sit.
    Fears no snake's venom spit.
    This spy is not a wussy.
    He clowns up for Octopussy.

DarthDimi wrote:

He commands a tiger to sit.
    Fears no snake's venom spit.
    This spy is not a wussy.
    He clowns up for Octopussy.

Those lyrics are so going to be in my head all night now!
  • It's the sort of song you can imagine Corbett and Barker sat at their news desks, a smug jolly smile of their faces, as they go 'And now ladies, and gentlemen, our very special guest, Rita Coolridge!'

She has a lush voice, but actually sounds off-key in this, and the whole snoozefest only reinforces Moore's leathery, 19th hole fix me a double whisky will you darling vibe, one of the reasons I much prefer the tauter, leaner AVTAK (the song and the movie).

I've never heard anybody describe AVTAK as "taut," but in this case I agree!