Our Friends in the North

edited July 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,400
I just finished watching this masterpiece. I've seen my fair share of British TV, despite being a Canadian, and I'm honestly convinced it's the best thing that's come out of the UK. On par with things such as The Wire or The Sopranos, in my opinion. And it's pretty damn impossible to beat The Wire, especially if you're a miniseries.

What can I say? First off, Craig and Eccleston play off eachother so perfectly, I'm really glad they were in <10 scenes together throughout the whole thing, because it's just such a treat to see Geordie and Nicky's onscreen chemistry and the fact that it's shown so sparingly really makes you captivated by it each time they share the screen. I can't see Craig as Bond now because he was just so fantastic as Geordie. He one-upped himself as Bond, and that's saying something because he's a fantastic Bond. Same to Eccleston with the Doctor; to me he's Nicky now. I love the transition through the years, with the political and cultural climate evident in every episode, along with the choices of music. Ending off with "Don't Look Back in Anger" was beyond brilliant. The 1974, 1984, 1987, and 1995 episodes were probably the best four but all nine are just masterfully done. There's so much to say about this brilliant series but I haven't the time at the moment. Anyone have any thoughts on OFITN?

Comments

I just finished watching this masterpiece. I've seen my fair share of British TV, despite being a Canadian, and I'm honestly convinced it's the best thing that's come out of the UK. On par with things such as The Wire or The Sopranos, in my opinion. And it's pretty damn impossible to beat The Wire, especially if you're a miniseries.

What can I say? First off, Craig and Eccleston play off eachother so perfectly, I'm really glad they were in <10 scenes together throughout the whole thing, because it's just such a treat to see Geordie and Nicky's onscreen chemistry and the fact that it's shown so sparingly really makes you captivated by it each time they share the screen. I can't see Craig as Bond now because he was just so fantastic as Geordie. He one-upped himself as Bond, and that's saying something because he's a fantastic Bond. Same to Eccleston with the Doctor; to me he's Nicky now. I love the transition through the years, with the political and cultural climate evident in every episode, along with the choices of music. Ending off with "Don't Look Back in Anger" was beyond brilliant. The 1974, 1984, 1987, and 1995 episodes were probably the best four but all nine are just masterfully done. There's so much to say about this brilliant series but I haven't the time at the moment. Anyone have any thoughts on OFITN?

I have to say I never watched this and I know I should have done by now. It really is something I'll have to catch up on. High praise indeed comparing it to The Wire and The Sopranos.

I have to say I never watched this and I know I should have done by now. It really is something I'll have to catch up on. High praise indeed comparing it to The Wire and The Sopranos.

You know, when watching all the political parts, I couldn't help but wonder if Simon watched OFITN, and if it had any influence on the third season and beyond of The Wire. Couldn't help but be reminded of certain parts while I was watching. But yeah, I wouldn't necessarily rank it next to The Wire because it's a miniseries, so it's not really fair to compare the two, but on a relative scale it might be The Wire of miniseries. If you catch my drift.
    I recently bought The Corner on DVD, which was the HBO miniseries and precursor to The Wire. I need to watch that soon as well :-)
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 2,081
    Mmmmm. OFITN is indeed brilliant. A true tv drama gem. Intelligent drama, interesting content, fab acting by all (not that they seem to be acting - they seem very real people). And my goodness Mr Craig was fantastic. I need to watch the whole thing again when I can find the time.
    Craig was certainly the best part of an amazing show here. And I don't say that as just a Bond fan, he really was fantastic. When he smashes the picture of McDowell's character (I believe it happens in 1974) is just brilliant acting. Even Eccleston, who did just an amazing job with Nicky, has nothing on Craig with Geordie.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Okay, I am not afraid to show my ignorance. Can someone explain to me where this series is set? What country, even? And when is it set? Set in the 70's, 80's? I know really nothing about it. I'd love to get a dvd set of the series if I can, since everyone is raving about it. Can you just fill me in a bit with a general description of the series (maybe not any huge spoilers)? Thanks!
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 6,396
    In the UK, Newcastle upon Tyne

"Our Friends in the North is a British television drama serial, produced by the BBC and originally broadcast in nine episodes on BBC Two in early 1996. Telling the story of four friends from the city of Newcastle upon Tyne in North East England over 31 years from 1964 to 1995, it also brought in real political and social events specific to Newcastle and Britain as a whole during the era portrayed, including general elections, police and local government corruption, the UK miners' strike (1984–1985) and the Great Storm of 1987. Publicity material for the serial used the tagline "Three decades, four friends and the world that shaped their lives"
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    OFITN is indeed a masterpiece and would agree it can stand next to the likes of The Soprano's & The Wire, Craig's acting has never been better.

I know some of my fellow countrymen think we still produce high quality television and we do from time to time but nothing has come near to the brilliance on display here. As well as Craig, Ecceleston, Mark Strong and Gina Mckee in the leads, the acting is of such a high calibre from all, Peter Vaughn is particularly brilliant as Nicky's father.

If you haven't seen this and consider yourself a fan of Daniel Craig then you are missing out. Now if only the BBC would seem fit to remaster this like they recently did The House of Cards trilogy and give it a HD release on Blu ray although a series of this quality deserves something more akin to the treatment that Criterion give their Blu ray titles.

Awesome! Thanks for the overview. I like history anyway, and I am now excited to get my hands on this series. :-bd
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Awesome! Thanks for the overview. I like history anyway, and I am now excited to get my hands on this series. :-bd

I think this is one I need to get too.
    So. Favourite episode? I'm most partial to 1987, personally.
    Here some development of DC's character, which changes the most visually

A brief synopsis of DC character, Geordie. ***POSSIBLE SPOILERS*** However, what’s pictured is only a very small part of the story, but you may not wish to read further.

64.png

Geordie in 1964, hooking up with his mate Nicki for his birthday celebration. Talking kids stuff about getting a band together. Nicki has other ideas and plans. After this disappointment and a terrible fight with his dad, Geordie goes off to London.

66.png

London 1966, Geordie working in a club where he meets his girl Jules and makes connection in the Soho underworld.

67.png

1967, still in London, rising through the ranks of organized crime world.

70.png

1970. The corruption story of the Soho underworld and police continue and Geordie is involved completely and totally.

74.png

1974. Geordie returns to London, after taking the fall for his boss and losses everything.

79.png

1979. Returns to New Castle rekindling his relationship with his friends, and brings all his tricks of the trade with him from London. He disappears after 1979 and doesn’t reappear until 1987.

87.png

London 1987, Nicki while shooting photographs as a journalist of the homeless, stumbles upon Geordie and tries to help. Unfortunately, Geordie has not yet hit rock bottom.

95.png

New Castle 1995, the last scene of the series. After help from his friends, Geordie pulls it together and survives
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 6,601
    http://film.thedigitalfix.com/content/id/5215/our-friends-in-the-north.html

Here are some episodes I found, that work. Enough to get an impression.

• It's good stuff, maybe a tad contrived and box ticking in its approach to British social history. Some of it maybe gets watered down over the decades as the characters grow apart. The actors age convincingly; sometimes with these kinds of dramas you would like them to reshoot the later scenes as the years go by to make it more real, but dunno if Craig and the others look any more older now than they do in the series ageing with make-up. Atonement is one film where I'd have liked the younger actress to be approached for the later scenes and redo them, as the older actress doesn't look much like her.
    I remember it being advertised growing up, but I have never actually sat down and watched an episode.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2013 Posts: 4,043
    I'm not sure what is my favourite episode but the moment Nicky spots Geordie has a homeless guy is very powerful and a standout. I'm not sure I can separate an episode and call it the best it's just so good as a whole and every episode never bores or drops in quality, you might think it contrived but British TV has never seen it's like again.
    That's 1987 where Nicky finds Geordie. When Geordie's later arrested, on his way to prison, escapes, then returns to the prison van because he can't handle the outside world is extremely touching. Really makes you feel for the character. Then when he pleads in 1995 with Christopher regarding Shaun, "Don't walk away!" Because of how his father treated him is equally powerful.
    I've compiled my list of what I consider the ten best episodes of television ever aired; "1995" made third place on said list.
    Well, I have got to see this series. Need to spend some time and figure out how I can do that. It just seems like incredibly good acting by several people.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Well, I have got to see this series. Need to spend some time and figure out how I can do that. It just seems like incredibly good acting by several people.

Yes it is, truly amazing.