What Should Be The New Royal Baby's Name? (And Does Anyone Really Care?)

124»

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Dragonpol wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I don't have a particular problem with the welfare state. The amount it costs the taxpayer is a mere drop in the ocean in comparison with the bloated fat cats and huge corporations who go to any lengths possible in order to avoid their fair share of tax. That's what's really hitting the pockets of the taxpayer in this country.

I'll give a good example of an article I read on monday.

Phil Mickleson, who won the Scottish Open and The Open last week, earned nearly £1.5mil for his victories and yet the US and UK governments between them will pocket nearly £900,000 in Income Tax.

Compare that if you will to the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) who made profits of approximately £300mil in the UK last year and thanks to the loopholes in our tax system, only paid £1mil in Corporation Tax.

1 man pays £900,000 in tax. 1 global corporation pays only £100,000 more.

There lies the answer to what's wrong in this country. If you're rich, you can pretty much pay what you like in tax. If you're poor and in need of the most help, people just want to stomp all over you.

Of course the current government have no interest in going after those who avoid paying their tax, as most of them and Party contributors and voters.

But I guess that's the reality and hypocrisy of life.

Don't know why people blame the fat cats - they're not doing anything illegal. Don't be sanctimonious enough to pretend you (and the stomped on poor) wouldn't take advantage of tax loopholes if you could.

Blame the government if you want for having laws that allow corporations to dodge tax but don't blame people for taking advantage of something that is perfectly legal.

And you've hit the nail right on the head. It's not illegal, but it's completely immoral. The rest of us 'plebs' are unable to take advantage of these loopholes/tax avoidance schemes for this very reason: We are NOT rich. Yet we are fully expected to pay our taxes. I'm a self employed caterer and God help me if I'm even £1 out when it comes to filing my tax return. Inland Revenue would come down on me like a ton of bricks.

And yes, you're right. The Government are principally to blame for this and have they taken any steps to rectify this issue? Have they boll***s!

Instead they've foxed their attention on cutting the welfare state. Why? Because poor people don't vote Conservative. That's ultimately what it boils down to. You can only make so many cuts for so long, until the inevitable happens:

Whoever wins the general election in 2015, will increase taxes. And IMO it will be a significant increase.

As Prime Minister Sir Anthony Eden said when asked about this, "How many votes did we get at the last election [the 1955 General Election]? 12 million or so, something like that. They certainly weren't all from the well-to-do!"

If only the rich elites voted Conservative they would never be elected on that strength alone as the numbers aren't there to make that happen. No, I'm afraid you have to look at the fact that the poor do vote Conservative, for the reason that they are closet Tories. You oversimplify a complex area - voting intentions - and in doing so you do this forum a great disservice. I just wanted to put the record straight for other readers of this thread. I'm tired of left-wing propaganda.

Not sure why you're quoting post-war politics, the political landscape has altered somewhat, although not for many staunch right-wingers. I think you'll find it's the middle-classes that net the Tories the bulk of their seats. 'Poor' people as you call them tend to steer well clear of them, unless they are the type who dislike 'those foreign people' and are drawn in by 'that lovely chap with the rosy cheeks, who looks like an estate agent. Isn't his suit nice?'. I'm not sure you put any record straight, although I'm thinking of the many people I've heard utter that phrase before and they're certainly not people I'd be discussing politics with.

I was really just pointing out the fact that Tory voters can't all be tarred with the same brush. I did in fact say that. It remains true. I'm working class myself, by the way and a minimum wage worker to boot so stuff that in your pipe and light it!

I think it was your sweeping generalisation that the 'poor' are closet Tories. I'm fully aware working class people vote Tory, my parents included, they just don't account for the bulk of the blue vote. I'm not aversed to the Tories myself but the shifting back towards the centre has made a homogenous blob of suits straddling Labour and Tory - perhaps an all-encompassing Purple party will surface.
    Huffington Post parodied how ridiculous it is that people care so much about this crap with a story titled "Woman Gives Birth to Child."
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    RC7 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I don't have a particular problem with the welfare state. The amount it costs the taxpayer is a mere drop in the ocean in comparison with the bloated fat cats and huge corporations who go to any lengths possible in order to avoid their fair share of tax. That's what's really hitting the pockets of the taxpayer in this country.

I'll give a good example of an article I read on monday.

Phil Mickleson, who won the Scottish Open and The Open last week, earned nearly £1.5mil for his victories and yet the US and UK governments between them will pocket nearly £900,000 in Income Tax.

Compare that if you will to the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) who made profits of approximately £300mil in the UK last year and thanks to the loopholes in our tax system, only paid £1mil in Corporation Tax.

1 man pays £900,000 in tax. 1 global corporation pays only £100,000 more.

There lies the answer to what's wrong in this country. If you're rich, you can pretty much pay what you like in tax. If you're poor and in need of the most help, people just want to stomp all over you.

Of course the current government have no interest in going after those who avoid paying their tax, as most of them and Party contributors and voters.

But I guess that's the reality and hypocrisy of life.

Don't know why people blame the fat cats - they're not doing anything illegal. Don't be sanctimonious enough to pretend you (and the stomped on poor) wouldn't take advantage of tax loopholes if you could.

Blame the government if you want for having laws that allow corporations to dodge tax but don't blame people for taking advantage of something that is perfectly legal.

And you've hit the nail right on the head. It's not illegal, but it's completely immoral. The rest of us 'plebs' are unable to take advantage of these loopholes/tax avoidance schemes for this very reason: We are NOT rich. Yet we are fully expected to pay our taxes. I'm a self employed caterer and God help me if I'm even £1 out when it comes to filing my tax return. Inland Revenue would come down on me like a ton of bricks.

And yes, you're right. The Government are principally to blame for this and have they taken any steps to rectify this issue? Have they boll***s!

Instead they've foxed their attention on cutting the welfare state. Why? Because poor people don't vote Conservative. That's ultimately what it boils down to. You can only make so many cuts for so long, until the inevitable happens:

Whoever wins the general election in 2015, will increase taxes. And IMO it will be a significant increase.

As Prime Minister Sir Anthony Eden said when asked about this, "How many votes did we get at the last election [the 1955 General Election]? 12 million or so, something like that. They certainly weren't all from the well-to-do!"

If only the rich elites voted Conservative they would never be elected on that strength alone as the numbers aren't there to make that happen. No, I'm afraid you have to look at the fact that the poor do vote Conservative, for the reason that they are closet Tories. You oversimplify a complex area - voting intentions - and in doing so you do this forum a great disservice. I just wanted to put the record straight for other readers of this thread. I'm tired of left-wing propaganda.

Not sure why you're quoting post-war politics, the political landscape has altered somewhat, although not for many staunch right-wingers. I think you'll find it's the middle-classes that net the Tories the bulk of their seats. 'Poor' people as you call them tend to steer well clear of them, unless they are the type who dislike 'those foreign people' and are drawn in by 'that lovely chap with the rosy cheeks, who looks like an estate agent. Isn't his suit nice?'. I'm not sure you put any record straight, although I'm thinking of the many people I've heard utter that phrase before and they're certainly not people I'd be discussing politics with.

I was really just pointing out the fact that Tory voters can't all be tarred with the same brush. I did in fact say that. It remains true. I'm working class myself, by the way and a minimum wage worker to boot so stuff that in your pipe and light it!

I think it was your sweeping generalisation that the 'poor' are closet Tories. I'm fully aware working class people vote Tory, my parents included, they just don't account for the bulk of the blue vote. I'm not aversed to the Tories myself but the shifting back towards the centre has made a homogenous blob of suits straddling Labour and Tory - perhaps an all-encompassing Purple party will surface.

Well, I was using @WillyGalore's words (as I was responding originally to his post) - "poor" would not have been my choice, either. Poor reminds one of the Dickensian poor house and the Poor Law and sounds quite antiquated and not a little patronising in this day and age. Just to make myself clear(er).
    Huffington Post parodied how ridiculous it is that people care so much about this crap with a story titled "Woman Gives Birth to Child."

I think that the British Private Eye have already got there...damned Americans!
    Dragonpol wrote:
    @Dragonpol- An excellent middle name yourself, sir. Obviously I approve.

MI6 legend? In terms of being known around here and in terms of longevity as a die hard fan (45th year now and not even 52), perhaps. And some might say I'm only a legend in my own mind :)) Thank you anyway, it's nice to be appreciated.

I call you a legend as you are. Also, Bond and Beyond, the MI6 Community break-away site wanted to recruit you to their number, but it's dead over there these days.

Well, I never received the invitation! I did stop by to look and see if some old friends that I knew from KTBEU and the early days of this site were there (I truly miss that awesome lady Retrokitty from Canada and her man Daniel, if they are over there please give them my finest regards and tell them how much I miss them), but most of the names I recognized from here and it seems they all still come here too.

I would pass that on if I could, but alas I am no longer a member on there - I was removed in June 2013 by the moderators. MI6 Community is now the only Bond forum I post on, having once been a member of three other forums. This one truly is the best of the lot.