Something of a Must With Me ~ OHMSS Appreciation

Comments

• edited February 2019 Posts: 3,336
    Extremely rare footage

Would be nice if they released a 50th anniversary 4K ultra hd disc with the missing footage from the rooftop chase as bonus material :)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Would be nice if they released a 50th anniversary 4K ultra hd disc with the missing footage from the rooftop chase as bonus material :)

+1.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I don t think it exists.
    The rooftop chase sequence does exist? There are stills of the sequence?
    Forget all the Bond 25 talk. What I'm excited about for 2019 is the OHMSS 50th celebrations and seeing this classic's reputation continue to grow.

I really like that footage, especially of the bellroom fight. Can't recall but does Bundt appear in the final film or was this deleted?

What's also interesting is seeing multiple shots of Lazenby and Rigg together smiling and seemingly okay with each other. Was the feud real or blown-up for better gossip? Maybe they just had the good sense to keep things friendly for the cameras, but who knows? Reminds me of all the supposed Connery surliness during YOLT when so much behind-the-scenes footage shows him smiling and goofing around.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    At sometime in the early 1980’s, I saw OHMSS on a double bill with YOLT. And while I enjoyed them both, I walked away thinking – without knowing all of the ends and outs of 007 at that point – that OHMSS was the better movie. And as I learned more about the films in the following years that feeling has only grown.

While I’m sure that the e-mail inbox at EON is already filled with requests to show OHMSS on the big screen for its’ 50th (here in the US, except for Dr. NO, they’ve missed all of the dates associated with FRWL, GF, TB and YOLT), I have my fingers crossed. Not a “2OO1” style full year celebration that we had in 2018, but at-least a limited 1 week 4K engagement would be nice.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 17,241
    suavejmf wrote: »

I once watched a video about the sequence, but I can't find it now. No actual movie footage though, just behind the scenes photos. I believe these pictures are from the making of it:

the-james-bond-film-on-her-majestys-secret-service-being-filmed-the-picture-id1010610964 the-james-bond-film-on-her-majestys-secret-service-being-filmed-the-picture-id1010610800
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.

I once watched a video about the sequence, but I can't find it now. No actual movie footage though, just behind the scenes photos. I believe these pictures are from the making of it:

the-james-bond-film-on-her-majestys-secret-service-being-filmed-the-picture-id1010610964 the-james-bond-film-on-her-majestys-secret-service-being-filmed-the-picture-id1010610800

I remember the video you mentioned. Very interesting.
    I think you are talking about this video

It is probably better that they deleted it to trim the movie a bit down. Although it would of been a bit cool if Blofeld had people undercover in the College of Arms.
    There is actually a petition for a 50th anniversary release with 39 signatures.

https://www.change.org/p/eon-productions-please-release-a-50th-anniversary-disc-of-on-her-majesty-s-secret-service

There is also going to be a fan event at Piz Gloria June 1st 2019

http://ohmss50.com/
    Would be nice if EON makes the most of it.

For GFs 50th anniversary they built a golden DB5

Remington wrote: »

I remember the video you mentioned. Very interesting.

It really was!

Edit:

It is probably better that they deleted it to trim the movie a bit down. Although it would of been a bit cool if Blofeld had people undercover in the College of Arms.

…and there it is! Thanks, @Crazysoul95! :-)

A brilliant near perfect Bond film.....but this scene may have enhanced the film further??
    Although it would of been a bit cool if Blofeld had people undercover in the College of Arms.

I love that idea!
    A little reaction video from non other then Terry Mountain himself.

• BT3366 wrote: »
    What's also interesting is seeing multiple shots of Lazenby and Rigg together smiling and seemingly okay with each other. Was the feud real or blown-up for better gossip?

Blown up, I think. I remember reading (or seeing in a commentary video or something) that the two of them went away on a retreat together after filming wrapped.

(@GoldenGun, you might enjoy this.)
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Outstanding work, Matt!
    Thank you!
    That was great, @mattjoes!

Watching all these bits from OHMSS only reminds me of my opinion that this is the best looking Bond film of the series. I know most people would probably say SF has the best cinematography, but to me, this is the best Bond has ever been presented on screen. On top of that, this was Peter Hunt's directorial debut!
    Thank you, Torgeirtrap.

I agree, it's a great-looking film. Definitely a step up from older entries, especially in the more lively and engaging camera movement. Colorful palette with strong use of purple, great use of sun glare in several shots (including that one of Blofeld looking down that I used on the video), not to mention exciting editing (love the sped up shots myself) and strident, intense sound work.

Skyfall looks terrific as well, though I do prefer OHMSS.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Thank you, Torgeirtrap.

I agree, it's a great-looking film. Definitely a step up from older entries, especially in the more lively and engaging camera movement. Colorful palette with strong use of purple, great use of sun glare in several shots (including that one of Blofeld looking down that I used on the video), not to mention exciting editing (love the sped up shots myself) and strident, intense sound work.

All good points re. the cinematography @mattjoes. It stands out from the rest of the series, along with several other elements. The sun glare especially is something that feels unique for this film; I could look at those shots all day!

fe58725bcea0599adf40c48632f62218-large.png
    ohmss-3.jpg
    D2FtNY6U4AERvdN.jpg
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Fully agree with the points about Michael Reed’s cinematography – at times it’s a work of art. And of course, John Barry’s score is great, and of course Diana Rigg is superb, and of course...……

As always, I have my fingers cross for some type of theatrical re-release of OHMSS in the US for its 50th anniversary, but I suspect that I’m going to be disappointed. EON didn’t do it for GF,TB or YOLT, so why start now!!!

BTW: what is the musical piece?
    Thank you, Torgeirtrap.

All good points re. the cinematography @mattjoes. It stands out from the rest of the series, along with several other elements. The sun glare especially is something that feels unique for this film; I could look at those shots all day!

ohmss-3.jpg
    D2FtNY6U4AERvdN.jpg
    Beautiful shots, @Torgeirtrap!

Dwayne wrote: »
    Fully agree with the points about Michael Reed’s cinematography – at times it’s a work of art. And of course, John Barry’s score is great, and of course Diana Rigg is superb, and of course...……

As always, I have my fingers cross for some type of theatrical re-release of OHMSS in the US for its 50th anniversary, but I suspect that I’m going to be disappointed. EON didn’t do it for GF,TB or YOLT, so why start now!!!

BTW: what is the musical piece?
    I'd love to see an old Bond film in theaters. Haven't had that privilege yet. I was hoping it would happen with the re-release of TSWLM and FYEO two years ago but it didn't reach our corner of the world.

The music is the main theme of Le clan des Siciliens (The Sicilian Clan) by Ennio Morricone.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited May 2019 Posts: 6,761

(@GoldenGun, you might enjoy this.)

@mattjoes Goosebumps! A lot of goosebumps! The European music gives it a lovely artistic touch, absolutely love it. This is truly very well-made, perhaps the best fan trailer I've ever come across. You're a genius!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A very good fit, but more of a homage than a trailer, right?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited May 2019 Posts: 6,761
    Yes, forgive me for getting carried away by my enthusiasm. Still one of the finest pieces of fan art I have ever seen.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 17,241
    Thank you, Torgeirtrap.

ohmss-3.jpg
    D2FtNY6U4AERvdN.jpg
    Beautiful shots, @Torgeirtrap!

They certainly are! I hope Cary Fukunaga and Linus Sandgren have OHMSS in mind when making Bond 25.