SPECTRE: Thomas Newman is Back! (appreciation topic)

Comments

• bondjames wrote: »
    He's only had one shot at it, and it was not bad ...

Oh yes it was! Even worse it is simply boring. Great melodies (even good ones) tend to float within your head. There's is nothing in SF s melodies that's even close to it. I would have taken Arnold anytime (and been glad to have a choice). I am also kind of bewildered how many use the " hey, give him a second chance. He might have not tried hard enough." term. HE BETTER SHOULD HAVE! He was to make a contribution to the anniversary of the worlds longest lasting franchise. He should have tried to make it very special, especially in memory of Barry's everlasting heritage. Even Mendes tried to make it very special. In my mind ( and I know I'm in a minuscule minority here) he failed terribly, but at least he tried!
  • Not happy at all about Newman returning. He better up his game this time.

He's probably back because Mendes wanted him. Wish EON had put their foot down and made him hire David Arnold instead :(
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    He's only had one shot at it, and it was not bad ...

Oh yes it was! Even worse it is simply boring. Great melodies (even good ones) tend to float within your head. There's is nothing in SF s melodies that's even close to it. I would have taken Arnold anytime (and been glad to have a choice). I am also kind of bewildered how many use the " hey, give him a second chance. He might have not tried hard enough." term. HE BETTER SHOULD HAVE! He was to make a contribution to the anniversary of the worlds longest lasting franchise. He should have tried to make it very special, especially in memory of Barry's everlasting heritage. Even Mendes tried to make it very special. In my mind ( and I know I'm in a minuscule minority here) he failed terribly, but at least he tried!

I'm afraid I disagree completely with you on this. To each their own. I'll take Newman any day over Arnold. I've had to endure his Barry-lite for 11 years (97-08) and while he improved in the Craig years, I believe he concocted banal music for the most part for a franchise I have a great respect for. No doubt he reveres Barry and does his best. It's just not good enough in my opinion. I felt his quality was much more suited to the Brosnan era.

As for Newman, I enjoyed his SF score very much. Sure it could have been better, but I felt it was absolutely outstanding in some places, and very modern. I certainly hope he integrates the theme music into his score (I'm sure he will) this time, but I still want his modern take on Bond. There will never be another Barry, so we don't need composers who attempt to emulate him and make a muck of it (my opinion on most of Arnold's work - and I hope he's reading this).

I'm quite confident that most folks on here will be happy with the end result of Newman's second time at it..

As I've said, the entire SP team is going to take this to another level this time. I'm certain of it.

PS: let me be clear I just prefer Newman to Arnold. I'm not advocating for Newman compared to anyone else. I would actually like someone like Howard Shore to have a crack at it, as he has the gravitas and has done outstanding work on LTR.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    After today, I am not going to complain about Newman any further (as much as I can refrain from entering arguments about him). We are stuck with him, thanks to his association with Mendes. I know he has talent and experience, so I will simply hope that he improves considerably and gives us a lot more Bondian feeling, a worthy score with Spectre. He has been told, by many people I am sure, what was lacking in Skyfall. Therefore, I will simply wait and see. Surely he will have to up his game, and I do expect that from a professional of his caliber.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I'm a bit gutted that Michael Giacchino isn't doing the score. Newman's work on SF was certainly a grower, but one couldn't help but feeling that it was slightly generic. Hopefully Newman will produce a real cracker for SPECTRE.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Let's hope Newman gets with the Program and adds more BOND Theme.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    To each their own, but...Thomas Newman is a stud, and David Arnold (as good as he is) simply isn't in Newman's class. I do think that Newman isn't as effective with action sequences, but much of the Skyfall OST is flat-out brilliant. I don't know how anyone can listen to "Brave New World" or "Severine" or "Komodo Dragon" or "The Chimera" and not get chills.
    TripAces wrote: »
    To each their own, but...Thomas Newman is a stud, and David Arnold (as good as he is) simply isn't in Newman's class. I do think that Newman isn't as effective with action sequences, but much of the Skyfall OST is flat-out brilliant. I don't know how anyone can listen to "Brave New World" or "Severine" or "Komodo Dragon" or "The Chimera" and not get chills.

Agreed. Severine, The Chimera, New Diggs & Shanghai Drive were the standouts to me. He has great potential. He just needs more experience with the Bond universe and he needs to incorporate the title song in his score.

Frankly, I prefer his action cues to Arnold's, who I have always felt just creates unmelodic noise for action sequences (I've felt he was better on the slower stuff).
    Komodo Dragon is not Newman's, though (and it is my fav part). I thought his action sequences were good, by the way; other parts just really lacking.

But I do see this is an appreciation thread, so I'll finish by saying he is a respected professional and has definite talent and I am fairly confident he will improve with Spectre and that means a great score. Staying hopeful. :)
    edited December 2014 Posts: 12,459
    delete
    delete
    delete
    ohdeargodlike4or5posts - I am going insane. It it NOT me.
    It must be Spectre ... !
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Careful not to click post comment too many times!
    To be honest, I am not. This is a problem that is unusual for me; just my computer mostly, I think, rather than the site. Last few weeks of trouble.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    man, I thought 4Ever was trying to sabotage the thread. :)>-
    No. ;;)
    I try to make my point with one comment at a time but not triplicates or worse!
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    @4EverBonded I think we got the point ;)

Just kidding, of course.
    At the risk of making one more comment. I am stopping posting (yes, after this) and have asked a mod to remove the many posts that now say "delete." I do not know what to do to fix this! :o3
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    TripAces wrote: »

i'll add to that "Shanghai Drive" "Jellyfish" "Silhouette" "Enquiry" and "Tennyson" and his "Skyfall" track .... his action or tension building music is excellent... but stuff like "New Digs" "Modigliani" "Day Wasted" "Quartermaster" "Enjoying Death" etc.. it feels kind of 'meh'

thats why i've always liked Newman's score, but not really loved it.... i still think Arnold's score for CR is better - he did a magnificent job of incorporating the title song as well creating some pretty sweeping melodies that i think really give that really helps identify with that film... a lot of that i felt was missing in SF - but thats just me..

I am onboard with Newman coming back, not upset about it..... if i had one request.. it would be a little less Zimmer influence, and don't be afraid to use the Bond theme during action moments - i really am starting to miss it..
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I too hope Bond theme will be used more than it did in Skyfall... and not just the four intro notes (the "vamp"), but the full theme.
    And hopefully they won't have to Recycle any more of David Arnold's music. Why couldn't Newman be bothered to do the End credits music?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I didn't mind is Skyfall score so I'm open to him improving with Spectre but yes like many I want more JB theme, not to the ridiculous extent we got in the Brosnan era but maybe once in the PTS as well as gun barrel (yeah I'm hopeful) and maybe a few more times throughout, subtle use and then not subtle at all and maybe to incorporate the theme tune into his score as well.

I just hope these Sam Smith rumours aren't true, the title kind says something more hard edged, a group maybe? Portishead would knock it out the park but I'm dreaming now.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Shardlake wrote: »
    not to the ridiculous extent we got in the Brosnan era
    Or that yucky early Connery era...

:))
    One can never use the Bond theme too much. It's his theme for crying out loud, It's a character in itself.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    not to the ridiculous extent we got in the Brosnan era
    Or that yucky early Connery era...

:))

Yes, it was overused in both eras you cite sadly.

At least Barry was getting his feet wet in FRWL & DN & so that's his excuse. I don't know what Arnold's is.

By GF he had matured and created a decent score incorporating the theme, but it's only by TB that he hit full stride IMO & delivered a magnificent standalone score without overusing the Bond theme.

I think it has far more impact if used judiciously.

However, I am a big fan of it being incorporated and recomposed or refashioned in inventive ways, which is something Barry did very well during his later years (I was just listening to the Octopussy soundtrack in my car today and the Bond theme is littered throughout that score, but very delicately incorporated - it takes a level of diligence and finesse to do it right, and when done well, it's genius).
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »
    One can never use the Bond theme too much. It's his theme for crying out loud, It's a character in itself.
    But of course.
    Murdock wrote: »

I think the producers have decided against this. I get the impression that they see it as one of the cliches. My evidence for this is the fact that Arnold himself dialled back the use of the Bond theme considerably in QoS (was it even played once there apart from the end) and CR (ditto). He likely was instructed to do this, otherwise I don't know why he would have, after overusing it in the Brosnan era.

As I said earlier, if it's incorporated and refashioned in a more organic way (which actually takes real compositional talent, which Barry had in spades) then I'm all for it, and I hope the producers are as well.

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i like to hear it when he's doing something Bond-esque in an action sequence... like it's usage in DAD during the Hoverchase in the PTS, or the boat chase in TWINE.. it's a nice peak moment for the score during the action - showing Bond being Bond... i've kind of missed that.... it doesn't need to sprinkled all over the score - but just in those little key moments..
    It was never overused in the Brosnan era. It was used to it's fullest. 8-|