Craig's casting - actor says "the Broccolis saw everyone far and wide"

edited June 2013 in Actors Posts: 1,661
Welsh actor Matthew Rhys was considered for the role of James Bond. In a radio interview he says "the Broccolis saw everyone far and wide" which I'm guessing would mean Hugh Jackman and Clive Owen - two actors that denied they were approached to play Bond after Pierce Brosnan was told he wasn't coming back for his fifth film.

I think this is the best evidence Owen and Jackman were considered but not chosen due to pay demands. I guess we'll never know the 'truth' but it is interesting to hear an actor claim the producers saw everyone - and I think it's reasonable to assume 'everyone' would mean all high profile actors up for the part and that would have to include Owen and Jackman. I don't believe Clive Owen was telling the truth when he said the producers never approached him for the role of James Bond. Sorry, Clive, I may be wrong but I don't believe you!

You can hear the segment starting at 1 min 30 seconds here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22796215

I think his comments are quite revealing. :)

Comments

• edited June 2013 Posts: 6,601
    Thing is, in the CR press conference Wilson said clearly, DC was the ONLY one offered the part. The way he said it was meant to correct all the rumors and assumptions. Since he declined at the beginning, they saw other actors...but DC was the one, they wanted. I think, its wrong to assume, they would have gotten the job, if they had been cheaper. Daniel was clearly cheap with a 1.5 mill. contrat at the start, but we are talking 2 or 3 mill more, which is hardly a big deal considering the budget of the film.
  • Matthew Rhys hints that the Broccoli considered the hypothesis of a young Bond, about 10 years younger than Craig in his case. Then the "everyone" is probably more about "many" young actors born around '75, plus some modesty on his part. Owen and Jackman, who are in Craig's generation or even older, are not IMO part of these "everyone".

More generally, when people in the show business say they denied having being approached, it's very often the truth IMO. On the other hand, many agents will lie about their proteges being considered ! :)
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 1,661
    Yes, I posted that article too! Interesting claim by Variety. Clive Owen might be like Henry Cavill - strong candidates to play James Bond but destined not to get the part. Owen would be too old to replace Craig and it's very unlikely Cavill would be Superman, Napoleon Solo (strong rumour he's playing that part) and James Bond!