Queens of The Stone Age for Bond 24 or 25 title theme?

2»

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    SaintMark wrote:
    Lets hope that EON sees sense and do not engage another rockband to offer us some poor excuse for a Bondsong. It has not worked since Paul McCarthy most attempts felt like a cashin for some song the rockers had lying around and knew that was simply not good enough for their own albums.

Surprisingly "the so called overrated" song by Adele was the 1st Bond title song that was actually recognised outside the fans of a certain 007 franchise. Which in my book is the purpose of a titlesong namely brand recognition.

And QoSA is just another Band that is currently a nice flavor, albeit a rather bland and unoriginal one, and in two year from now you all will be shouting for the next "rock sensation. Just when a it got proven that the most succesfull and best remembered 007 songs are anything but succesfull, once again that ex-Beatle being the exception. O:-)

You are amusing, QOTSA could never be described as bland and unoriginal, they are not a flavour of the month and have been around for years and have been highly regarded for at least a decade.

Seriously if you are going to comment on a band please make sure you know what you are talking about, a nice current flavour really you lost your argument with that narrow minded and badly researched comment.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 11,119
    Only one rock entry did wonders for Bond, and that was Paul McCartney with 'Live And Let Die'. IF.....and only IF.....a rock band can create another of such a memorable Bond melody, then I'm in. But I'm sceptical. Like Paul Epworth's 'Skyfall', also George Martin used wunderful orchestration. But ever since YKMN and AWTD I'm sceptical. I cannot see a rock band using strings so classy and smoothly as Paul Epworth did.

Moreover, the fact that people are 'sick and tired' of all the airplay for 'Skyfall' is only good. Bond fans should be more grateful that we actually HAD the biggest Bond hit since 1981's 'For Your Eyes Only' and 1985's 'A View To A Kill'. That's something unique. Not to mention the Oscar win. And I always say: Give the people what they want. That is hit stuff, memorable songs. I don't see this obscure band called 'Queens Of The Stone Age' doing this.

So, bring back Adèle. Or otherwise a male singer like Michael Bublé. David Bowie is back with a wunderful come-back album. Another nice recommendation. Or Caro Emerald. Lana Del Rey with Paul Epworth could result in something different as well, but PLEASE keep the orchestra. Or what about Anouk and Goldfrapp:

QBranch wrote:
    Now that I think of it, I heard one of the new QOTSA songs on the radio last week, and my ears pricked up when the radio presenter said he thought this one would make a badass Bond theme. Good call- I wholeheartedly agree:

This is one hell of a track; pure gold! The track that follows this, the title track "...like clockwork", has this beautiful piano intro that screams Bond:

No doubt the best ballad I've heard in years, from what maybe is QOTSAs best album.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    @boldfinger. Good thread. I'm sold. I've got QoTSA material along with newish JPJ albums to check out. I like the fact that the JPJ albums are both circa roughly 2000, as it means he'll be influenced by the '90s heavy rock sound as a complement to his heavy-blues Zep foundation.

Two good tracks above, I Appear Missing and Like Clockwork. I hear a Bond-vibe in both of them.
    Like Clockwork is a tad restrained, but the baseline for a Bond song is there. I would just pump it up a bit more, and the framework for a 007 title track seems to be in place.
    QoTSA's raw sound has definite Bond potential. I'd even say in the LALD vein, which was a pretty heavy rock-song in it's own right.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 5,767
    SaintMark wrote:
    If she would bring her A-level we just might get another 007 classic SHirley Bassey style.
    Here I completely agree with you.
    Only one rock entry did wonders for Bond, and that was Paul McCartney with 'Live And Let Die'. IF.....and only IF.....a rock band can create another of such a memorable Bond melody, then I'm in. But I'm sceptical. Like Paul Epworth's 'Skyfall', also George Martin used wunderful orchestration. But ever since YKMN and AWTD I'm sceptical. I cannot see a rock band using strings so classy and smoothly as Paul Epworth did.

Moreover, the fact that people are 'sick and tired' of all the airplay for 'Skyfall' is only good. Bond fans should be more grateful that we actually HAD the biggest Bond hit since 1981's 'For Your Eyes Only' and 1985's 'A View To A Kill'. That's something unique. Not to mention the Oscar win. And I always say: Give the people what they want. That is hit stuff, memorable songs. I don't see this obscure band called 'Queens Of The Stone Age' doing this.

So, bring back Adèle. Or otherwise a male singer like Michael Bublé. David Bowie is back with a wunderful come-back album. Another nice recommendation. Or Caro Emerald. Lana Del Rey with Paul Epworth could result in something different as well, but PLEASE keep the orchestra. Or what about Anouk and Goldfrapp
    What kind of poor technical argumentation is that? If the orchestra is just there for orchestra´s sake, solely for nostalgic reasons, and doesn´t reach the listener emotionally, then I prefer a rock song all the way. And by the way, YKMN also made use of an orchestra. And David Arnold may not be the most classically trained one, but at least he proudly blasts away. That is more of a Bond statement than that cob-webbed retrospection by Adele, let alone Newman´s blunt, undecided and meaningless try.

Sorry, got carried away and off topic a bit. I know Newman hasn´t got anything to do with the song.
    But I would agree on Goldfrapp with you, @Gustav_Graves.

timmer wrote:
    I like the fact that the JPJ albums are both circa roughly 2000, as it means he'll be influenced by the '90s heavy rock sound as a complement to his heavy-blues Zep foundation.
    The heaviness and decision of a caterpillar plowing through snow. Unlike anything you´ve heard before. It will leave you in shock ;-).
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 11,119
    boldfinger wrote:

So, bring back Adèle. Or otherwise a male singer like Michael Bublé. David Bowie is back with a wunderful come-back album. Another nice recommendation. Or Caro Emerald. Lana Del Rey with Paul Epworth could result in something different as well, but PLEASE keep the orchestra. Or what about Anouk and Goldfrapp.

What kind of poor technical argumentation is that? If the orchestra is just there for orchestra´s sake, solely for nostalgic reasons, and doesn´t reach the listener emotionally, then I prefer a rock song all the way. And by the way, YKMN also made use of an orchestra. And David Arnold may not be the most classically trained one, but at least he proudly blasts away. That is more of a Bond statement than that cob-webbed retrospection by Adele, let alone Newman´s blunt, undecided and meaningless try.

Sorry, got carried away and off topic a bit. I know Newman hasn´t got anything to do with the song. But I would agree on Goldfrapp with you, @Gustav_Graves.

Maybe you can explain me why Adèle's 'Skyfall' emotionally moved me much more than 'You Know My Name'? For the very simple reason that the orchestra wasn't just there for pure nostalgic reasons. It completely enhanced the emotional gravity of the song and the theme. Combined with Kleinman's haunting, funeral-esque main titles it must have been the best main title ride ever for me.

When it comes to 'using orchestra for pure nostalgic reasons', I have to remind you that the orchestral arrangements for 'You Know My Name' were only added later, after Chris Cornell finished his own studiomix. So what you're saying here is calling the kettle black. Paul Epworth and Adèle did see the 'total package' much better IMO than Chris Cornell and David Arnold together.

And indeed, Thomas Newman did not compose the song hehe. But I completely disagree with you on this one too. I don't know if I'm the only one here. But I think Newman's score was way more suspenseful and way more multi-layered for my ears. The mix of electronic percussions and the wunderful use of orchestra, especially strings, was not only perfect, it sounded much deeper and intense. Almost Barry-esque!

No, Thomas Newman totally deserved that Oscar nomination :-). I hope I'm not the only one here :-/.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Anyone want to pick up on Queens Of The Stone Age for Bond 24 can do so in the threads we have going, highlighted by Sam on page 1.

Sorry to close as this has been going a while, but we do end up with a lot of messy threads all over the place.
This discussion has been closed.