Queens of The Stone Age for Bond 24 or 25 title theme?

ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
edited June 2013 in Music Posts: 4,043
Josh Homme is one talented musician and on the strength of QOTSA new album Like Clockwork and in particular the closing title track I think they would be an excellent choice to provide a theme for the Craig era.

Homme takes the band to new places and could have produced their best album yet and the title track shows a subtle Barry like influence. As much as I would have liked to have seen Jack White produce what should have been one of the best themes in decades he didn't, I didn't hate it like many despite it being the weakest thing he's ever released but this is no reason to dump the idea of a rock band doing the theme again.

I think if they gave him the job he'd rise to the occasion and produce a amazing theme, check out the title track from Like Clockwork and see what you think, unfortunately I can find a link to the track itself the whole album was streaming but has been taken down since it went on sale.

Comments

• hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    I think not get Flo Rida or someone ?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Oh dear here comes the spam!!
    Shardlake wrote:
    Oh dear here comes the spam!!

Someone cool at least or bring back someone classical?
    Someone Cool?

Who are suggesting Beethoven?
    Shardlake wrote:
    Someone Cool?

When I say cool OR bring back someone classical . Cool like Flo Rida or Lil Wayne a rapper. And someone maybe classical like Paul McCartney back?
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    lol, FloRida? Lil' Wayne?

you-must-be-stupid-or-joking.jpg
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    lol, FloRida? Lil' Wayne?

you-must-be-stupid-or-joking.jpg

OK someone cool not a rapper though it would sound terrible and I won't be able to sing along!

Please close this thread I was hoping for some sensible commentary on my suggestion but it seems that hullcityfan once to hijack with an attempt to seem humorous, he's not, please close I'm sorry I even bought it up.

In a world where Robin Thicke is top of the charts why should I be surprised, god that song is utter tosh.
    I really like Homme's work with Crooked Vultures. A heavy rock approach to Bond would work fine with me.
    Chris Cornell didn't do too bad.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Listened to the new QOTSA album a week or two ago, and it's awesome. Yes bring on Homme- everything he touches is gold. There's definitely potential here for a great fuel-charged theme like YKMN.
    edited June 2013 Posts: 4,043
    Thanks guys that's more like it, Timmer if you like TCV I can't see you being disappointed with the new QOTSA album. While acknowledge Grohl is one of the best rock drummers on the planet, Homme is another class when it comes to song writing, production and composing and he is real brain behind that super group and doubt Grohl would deny it.

When Grohl joined the band to play drums on their seminal Songs For The Deaf album Homme had to persuade Grohl to go back to the Foo's, Grohl was completely under the spell of working with Homme and would have gladly become their full time drummer.

Homme is up their with Jack White when it comes to the most fertile minds in rock music today.
    Shardlake wrote:
    Someone Cool?

Beethoven is romantic. Mozart would be classical.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Now that I think of it, I heard one of the new QOTSA songs on the radio last week, and my ears pricked up when the radio presenter said he thought this one would make a badass Bond theme. Good call- I wholeheartedly agree:

• edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    @Shardlake

I picked up Crooked Vultures because I was curious to hear what John Paul Jones was doing these days, especially playing with next generation rock musicians.
    But yes it's Homme that dominates that album,moreso than the other two, so I'd be happy to check out the latest Queens of the Stone Age album.
    I much prefer Grohl on drums, with Nirvana or Vultures as opposed to fronting the Foo Fighters. Grohl's work with QOTSA would be interesting to check out as well.
    You mention Songs for the Deaf. Probably worth giving a listen.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 5,767
    While fully acknowledging Homme´s talent and ability, I confess I´m not a big fan of his singing, and more often than not I find his sound choices two depressing for a Bond track. But the latter should not be a problem, as AWTD was also nowhere near White´s usual sound.

Since Grohl´s name was mentioned, and also McCartney´s, that song those two did together is quite overwhelming. I´m not sure if I wanted it for Bond, but I sure love it when Paul screams, nobody does it better!

@timmer, are you acquainted with Jones´ two solo albums, Zooma, and The Thunderthief?

boldfinger wrote:
    @timmer, are you acquainted with Jones´ two solo albums, Zooma, and The Thunderthief?
    barely. I don't think I've heard them. But I've blasted through Them Crooked Vultures a few times.
    The two you mention are older JPJ albums aren't they?

SFTD is definitely worth checking out as this is some of Grohl's best drumming period, a good place to start with QOTSA and then maybe R Rated.

Though Like Clockwork is pretty accessible, I've been blown away by it, one of the best rock albums in a good few years and up with the bands best work, all 10 tracks are quality and it never out lives it's welcome.
    timmer wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:
    barely. I don't think I've heard them. But I've blasted through Them Crooked Vultures a few times.
    The two you mention are older JPJ albums aren't they?
    1999 and 2001. If you haven´t heard them you´re missing the real thing. In comparison you can well forget Them Crooked Vultures.

What is it with all these...bands and rock groups :-). Give me Adele again please.....
    Adele theme is fine on the credits and works a treat but on it's own it's pretty unremarkable, QOTSA would produce a memorable theme and one that would with the film or without it.

Adele is nowhere the talent of Josh Homme, maybe a few more films down the line but the next one, I hope not.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 12,837
    timmer wrote:
    I really like Homme's work with Crooked Vultures. A heavy rock approach to Bond would work fine with me.
    Chris Cornell didn't do too bad.

I'm in the same boat as you here. Not that familiar with QOTSA (I'm almost sure I used to own Rated R though and "The Lost Art Of Keeping a Secret" is a brilliant song) but I loved his work with Them Crooked Vultures.

Also we seem to agree on Grohl. I like the Foo Fighters and I think he does a good job as their frontman but he's just a legend on drums. I'm a drummer myself and he's been someone I've looked up to since his Nirvana days.
    What is it with all these...bands and rock groups :-). Give me Adele again please.....

I think Adele is overrated. Besides, we had a slow ballad last time, time for another rock song now.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    I think Adele is overrated. Besides, we had a slow ballad last time, time for another rock song now.
    Yes a new Bond rock song would go over just fine. I'm Adeled out. The song gets saturation play in the coffee shop, I hang out in. Even more than Sheena Easton's FYEO supermarket airplay, and that's hard to do :D
    Grohl is legend on drums. He's positively manic on the Nirvana albums. What I like about Vultures, it's so darn heavy, with Jones and Grohl, thumping away around Homme's creative brilliance.
    @boldfinger. Those JPJ albums do sound worth checking out. I didn't realize they were that recently released.

This thread is focused on Josh Homme and worthiness of Queens of Stone Age and their heavy rock peers, at least so far anyway. ;)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The campaign starts here? ;)
    Lets hope that EON sees sense and do not engage another rockband to offer us some poor excuse for a Bondsong. It has not worked since Paul McCarthy most attempts felt like a cashin for some song the rockers had lying around and knew that was simply not good enough for their own albums.

Surprisingly "the so called overrated" song by Adele was the 1st Bond title song that was actually recognised outside the fans of a certain 007 franchise. Which in my book is the purpose of a titlesong namely brand recognition.

And QoSA is just another Band that is currently a nice flavor, albeit a rather bland and unoriginal one, and in two year from now you all will be shouting for the next "rock sensation. Just when a it got proven that the most succesfull and best remembered 007 songs are anything but succesfull, once again that ex-Beatle being the exception. O:-)
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 5,767
    SaintMark wrote:
    Lets hope that EON sees sense and do not engage another rockband to offer us some poor excuse for a Bondsong. It has not worked since Paul McCarthy most attempts felt like a cashin for some song the rockers had lying around and knew that was simply not good enough for their own albums.
    I don´t see how this applies to YKMN and AWTD. Both songs are highly untypical for the respective artists. There is no reason to assume they would have written those songs if not for a Bond film. And I for one enjoy both of those songs very much.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Surprisingly "the so called overrated" song by Adele was the 1st Bond title song that was actually recognised outside the fans of a certain 007 franchise. Which in my book is the purpose of a titlesong namely brand recognition.
    Adele was very recognised before recording the song, so it´s only natural that a new song by her gets a lot of regognition. She sang a slow ballad, a style which was traditionally used for many Bond songs in the past. That, and not the quality of the song, is responsible for the brand recognition in connection with Adele´s SF song. I find it rather repelling that such a mediocre song is valued purely for the reason of brand recognition. Moreover, having a mediocre song is a statement of tiredness of the franchise. Especially AWTD may not have many friends around here, but it was a proud statement of the vigorousness of the franchise.
    SaintMark wrote:
    And QoSA is just another Band that is currently a nice flavor, albeit a rather bland and unoriginal one, and in two year from now you all will be shouting for the next "rock sensation.
    As I said before, I´m not the biggest fan of Josh Homme, but if there´s one thing he certainly cannot be accused of it´s being bland or unoriginal.

timmer wrote:
    @boldfinger. Those JPJ albums do sound worth checking out. I didn't realize they were that recently released.
    I´m telling you. Talk about manic. JPJ hardly showed anything on TCV if you compare that to those two solo albums. The man is the most underrated genius.

• @SaintMark- I completely disagree with your assessment regarding the quality of Bond rock songs since LALD. Plenty of people know AVTAK as far as recognition, and it was not a song they had just "lying around" that didn't make their record, John Taylor and DD were hired to collaborate with Barry and the song was specifically written for the movie, as by the time it was released DD had disbanded. I don't think too many would call AVTAK a poor excuse for a Bond song.

YKMN better fits your thesis here, but it also was not a cash-in. It was written by Cornell and Arnold for the film, and it was only later that Cornell decided he was so pleased with it that he wanted to include it for his own "Carry On" record. He states as much. It even got a Grammy nomination, and while the Grammys and Oscars are remarkably alike in their politics, it obviously struck a positive chord with people outside of the Bond fan universe. Again, very few Bond fans would call this a poor excuse either, but then in this case I know it's an Arnold thing because we all know how much you don't appreciate his talent ;)
    SaintMark wrote:

If all that matters to you is brand recognition then why not get One Direction or Justin Bieber doing it? After all they're popular aren't they?

The theme song to me isn't just an advertising tool, it's a big part of the film. It's purpose is to be a great theme tune that fits the film and the title sequence well and that's meant to get me excited for what's coming up.

Personally I think it's more than just an advertising technique.

@SirHenryLeeChaChing has already summed up why you're wrong about the rock themes so I won't comment on that and @boldfinger has addressed your criticism of Homme so I won't bother commenting on the rest of your post but let me just say that I couldn't disagree more.
    @SaintMark- I completely disagree with your assessment regarding the quality of Bond rock songs since LALD. Plenty of people know AVTAK as far as recognition, and it was not a song they had just "lying around" that didn't make their record, John Taylor and DD were hired to collaborate with Barry and the song was specifically written for the movie, as by the time it was released DD had disbanded. I don't think too many would call AVTAK a poor excuse for a Bond song.

I have never considered Duran Duran a rockband, more of a popband, so hence my completely ignoring that song. Neither do I consder AHA a rockband. ;)

YKMN better fits your thesis here, but it also was not a cash-in. It was written by Cornell and Arnold for the film, and it was only later that Cornell decided he was so pleased with it that he wanted to include it for his own "Carry On" record. He states as much. It even got a Grammy nomination, and while the Grammys and Oscars are remarkably alike in their politics, it obviously struck a positive chord with people outside of the Bond fan universe. Again, very few Bond fans would call this a poor excuse either, but then in this case I know it's an Arnold thing because we all know how much you don't appreciate his talent ;)

The YKMN did not strike that big a big chord as it is completely forgotten by now except Bond affinados or Cornell fans. And as a song it was nice but not that spectacular.

My aversion against a new job for DA has nothing to do with the YKMN song, DA just has not shown anything remotely new in the identity of the 007 music which used to be GOOD and now is down to discussing some nice tracks on the whole OST. Unlike Giachinno who for Star Trek in two movies came up with a new sound and did not forget the old recognisible sound from the movies and series. That is what I expect from the next composer, DA had his shot and in my book way to many chances.

I just want some decent music and rockmusic has never done to well for the franchise, so why does one expect it to be any different. While I liked the musical choices of xXx, especially that German band, musically it fit with the main character and the direction chosen for that planned franchise.
    For the 007 franchise I expect some more classy stuff and Adele did deliver that, even if I agree that it most certainly was not her best work. If she would bring her A-level we just might get another 007 classic SHirley Bassey style.
    In my humble opinion the 007 franchise should not be hugging rockbands but class and style. And QoSA is just not that except some rockfans wet dream and the likes should stay clear from the 007 franchise.

This discussion has been closed.