OCTOPUSSY 30 YR ANNIVERSARY

Comments

Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:
    I enjoyed Octopussy. The only problems I had were:

1. Tarzan scream
    2. The chase in Deli - Seemed so hackneyed.
    3. The short amount of time Bond got into the clown outfit.
    4. The overuse of humour.

Otherwise it was the one the most Flemingeque Bonds in content and in context.

Indeed. It certainly is a successful mix of part Bond film adventure and part Flemingesque suspense-fest. Having said all of that, of course, there's very little from the pen of Fleming actually in it.

Things from Fleming:

1. Octopussy title and bases for back story
    2. The Property of a Lady
    3. Circus Meme
    4. The bases of the clown scene from Fleming's notebook.
    5. The line at the end of the backgammon where Khan tells Bond to "spend it in a hurry" from Hugo Drax in Moonraker after the bridge game.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    I think once Glen got rid of Moore, he came into his own with his 2 Dalton movies as he had a Bond which matched the tone he was after - Moore was an uncomfortable fit.
    This is interesting. You may be on to something here. Dalts might have been a better fit for both FYEO and OP in particular.
    Perdogg wrote:
    Things from Fleming:

3. Circus Meme
    5. The line at the end of the backgammon where Khan tells Bond to "spend it in a hurry" from Hugo Drax in Moonraker after the bridge game.
    good spade work. The first two are apparent but the next three were not as obvious.

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I like Roger, but his tongue-in-cheek performance was really not suited for both OP and AVTAK. Cubby should have realised this and recast the part.
    Don't forget that they did look at other actors before Cubby ultimately decided that he needed an established Bond to square off against Connery in NSNA. I think that might be where a lot of the problems of this film stem from. In their zeal to "out do" the competition they seemed to have thrown everything, including the kitchen sink, into the mix here. They created a strange blend of action, humor (sometimes downright camp), romance, fantasy, adventure, espionage and Cold War themes that result in something of the tonal nightmare that you alluded to earlier.

As far as why they didn't recast the role for AVTAK, I guess the world may never know. I can understand where you're coming from in your views regarding OP but I personally disagree. I think that there is enough good to outweigh the bad. It was a great big spectacle of a film and would have been the perfect swan song for Rog. What did he accomplish by coming back for AVTAK?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    timmer wrote:
    I think once Glen got rid of Moore, he came into his own with his 2 Dalton movies as he had a Bond which matched the tone he was after - Moore was an uncomfortable fit.
    This is interesting. You may be on to something here. Dalts might have been a better fit for both FYEO and OP in particular.
    Perdogg wrote:
    Things from Fleming:

3. Circus Meme
    good spade work. The first two are apparent but the next three were not as obvious.

Yes, well observed @Perdogg. I plan to rework an old article of mine called 'The Circus Connection of the James Bond Villains, Girls and Allies' for The Bondologist Blog at some point. It will cover this ground and more. Still, a very erudite post!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,350
    pachazo wrote:
    As far as why they didn't recast the role for AVTAK, I guess the world may never know. I can understand where you're coming from in your views regarding OP but I personally disagree. I think that there is enough good to outweigh the bad. It was a great big spectacle of a film and would have been the perfect swan song for Rog. What did he accomplish by coming back for AVTAK?

Roger was out and happy about it, it was Cubby who couldn't find (or didn't want to look for?) another actor, so he called up Rog and begged he to come back, why he said yes is because Cubby was a great friend of his and wanted to help him out of a tight spot, something you just know Cubby knew Roger would agree to, if only for one final time. Why the next film wasn't delayed a year to get another actor I don't know, it must have been MGM/UA putting pressure on for another one quickly as Octopussy was quite the hit.
    I think there might also have been a sense that Rog was money in the bank. Why not just max out his term, which it seems is exactly what Cubby did.
    It would have been interesting to see what Dalts could have done with FYEO and OP. We'll never know, but as it were, both movies worked out very well.
    I do like Rog in OP. I think its one of his tougher outings.
    Doesn't seem like 30 years since i saw it in the cinema. We really enjoyed it and laughed a lot in all the right places but it was the 80s and we were kids.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    For some people here (the Dutch ones) an interesting fact:
    The first draft of the screenplay had the pre-title sequence set in the Netherlands.
    Those latter two Moore movies are the most odd in the Bond oeuvre.

They want to be serious and realistic but they rely on cheap gags and are often camp and distracting. I think the big issue was Roger, his Bond was supposed to be more humorous and they tried to maintain that element whilst placing him in more Tim Dalton-esque films. The result was something rather messy. Also OP and AVTAK feel like the least necessary Bond films, they are just forgettable episodic movies.

It's always a mistake when the Bond films do become to episodic, as there needs to be some personal investment along the way for Bond otherwise he'd be a pretty boring chap. Which arguably he can be, especially when the villains and girls are given more development. I feel LALD and the last 2 Moore films fall into this trap.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 512
    Odd to think it's been 30 years, if only because by the time of the release we'd enjoyed a very hot summer (and I'd been on a sunny school trip to Bernese Oberland in Switzerland) whereas summer seems to have come and gone this year without a peep.

And odd film to watch, unique in that while you're watching it you know there'll be another one along after, the main event ie Connery returning in NSNA, so you'll get double helpings!

I think NSNA did encourage OP to push the boat out a bit, and they were privvy to the script of the film so maybe put in stuff to wipe out NSNA's stuff ie the horseback ride to get onto the plane is better than the chase-around-the-houses B-movie effort of Connery's horse antics. The grit of OP, with the Cold War theme, is topical and more impressive than the hijacked here we go again nuclear weapons of NSNA, which would have no topical feel at all despite it being the year of Threads and The Day After, highly acclaimed nuclear peril TV dramas. Of course, we weren't to know about NSNA's failings while OP was on, though one suspected, due to the delayed release.

OP is OTT, I prefer the tone to FYEO cos I'm a Bond puritan; if you want it to be realistic, make it so, don't throw it away with silly jokes. On the downside, there is a heavy, ponderous vibe to OP, it drags a bit in India and Moore's manner seems a bit oily. He seemed better in AVTAK, which I prefer as it's a lighter, funner flick imo. But both films have dark moments of gravity that NSNA never got anywhere near, making the latter a bit of a joke, made for TV movie, almost a spoof film.

It's true the silly scenes in OP - Bond as a clown isn't silly, it's a tense moment but some can't get past the premise, the Tarzan yell, the innuendo, the final scene with Bond pretending to be in traction - let it down a fair bit, but there's plenty in there that's value for money and the West Germany scenes are tops. Some groundbreaking action scenes here.
    The bad:
    Maud Adams (sorry!)
    Orlov
    Tarzan scream

The good:
    Everything else (I appreciate the clown costume thing now that I'm older; it was a necessary disguise)

The perfect:
    "You have a NAAAASTY habit... of surviving!"
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,350
    As far as Octopussy goes, ditching most of the India camp would go a long way to making it one of the very best Bond films. It needed an even tone throughout.
    timmer wrote:
    I think there might also have been a sense that Rog was money in the bank. Why not just max out his term, which it seems is exactly what Cubby did.

I wonder if Cubby regretted it when he saw the box office intake? We know he wasn't happy with the business it did.

God only hopes they have the balls to move on from Craig, when he says enough's, enough.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice

Samuel001 wrote:
    God only hopes they have the balls to move on from Craig, when he says enough's, enough.
    One gets the sense that when Craig says he is finished there will be no changing his mind. Besides, I think that everyone learned their lesson about having a Bond actor stay around for too long. That's why Brosnan was not invited to return.
    pachazo wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    One gets the sense that when Craig says he is finished there will be no changing his mind. Besides, I think that everyone learned their lesson about having a Bond actor stay around for too long. That's why Brosnan was not invited to return.

Indeed. I think you're spot on here. Craig is like Dalton too in that respect. Sometimes less is more, even with James Bond.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    As far as Octopussy goes, ditching most of the India camp would go a long way to making it one of the very best Bond films. It needed an even tone throughout.

I agree, but this was John Glen's doing not Sir Rog's. I wonder if they thought this was going to be Sir Rog's swansong and sort of lost control over him.

From the recent Bond Archives book, it is mentioned this film was set up and thought to be Roger's last Bond.
    Perdogg wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

I agree, but this was John Glen's doing not Sir Rog's. I wonder if they thought this was going to be Sir Rog's swansong and sort of lost control over him.

Yes, it was thought to be Roger's last Bond until AVTAK was announced.
  • Sir Roger discusses in "My Word Is My Bond" how he intended for Octopussy to be his final film. For those who don't have the book, it was a fairly simple matter of Cubby asking him to return and making him an attractive monetary offer he couldn't refuse. But he definitely gives the impression that he had some doubts about whether he could pull it off at age 55, and count me among those who feel he should have rode off into the sunset after soundly defeating McGlory and Connery at the box office.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 2,341
    Trying to remain on subject here but since SirHenry mentioned "money" I need to say this:
    I think Cubby learned a hard lesson with how Sean got so pissed and always feeling he was underpaid. I recently watched the "Everything or Nothing, the Untold Story of 007".
    In that documentary a UA exec explains how Cubby and Saltzman renegotiated their contract with UA giving themselves a larger piece of the pie but they refused to keep their star happy. Contracts are renegotiated all the time. But they did not want to give Sean any consideration. This made the Scotsman's blood boil.

In the future and with later Bond actors EON decided to take care of their star. Roger, Dalton, Brosnan and Craig were all well compensated, especially Brosnan. He was very popular at the time and Babs and MGM decided it was in their best interest to keep the star happy. They would not make the mistake Cubby and Saltzman had made with Sean back in the late sixties.
    Sir Roger discusses in "My Word Is My Bond" how he intended for Octopussy to be his final film. For those who don't have the book, it was a fairly simple matter of Cubby asking him to return and making him an attractive monetary offer he couldn't refuse. But he definitely gives the impression that he had some doubts about whether he could pull it off at age 55, and count me among those who feel he should have rode off into the sunset after soundly defeating McGlory and Connery at the box office.

Yes, post-Moonraker in 1979 Roger Moore negotiated each of his three following James Bond films as separate films each. He refused to sign another multi-picture contract when this ran out with Moonraker. Cubby kept on sweetening the pot with each successive film in the years 1980-85 until it was clear that Moore was past his sell-by date as James Bond and he was replaced by Timothy Dalton.
  • AVTAK was a bit of a victory lap for having seen off NSNA at the box office, methinks.
    AVTAK was a bit of a victory lap for having seen off NSNA at the box office, methinks.

An interesting way of putting it, plus it gave Roger Moore more Bond films than Sean Connery in the official Eon series at least.
    NSNA with the original Bond Connery in a sense is a better Bond movie compared to Octopussy with Moore's clownish acting without any seriousness. Even the body build of Connery was in a better form compared to Moore's. Of course, NSNA may not be in the 'official' cannon of Eon productions but for ardent fans it is a Bond movie as Connery plays the role.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 3,494
    senthilvel wrote:
    NSNA with the original Bond Connery in a sense is a better Bond movie compared to Octopussy with Moore's clownish acting without any seriousness. Even the body build of Connery was in a better form compared to Moore's. Of course, NSNA may not be in the 'official' cannon of Eon productions but for ardent fans it is a Bond movie as Connery plays the role.

Nobody around here could love Sir Sean's Bond any more than I do, but clearly you are in need of a reality check. Body comparisons aside, Moore did more serious acting in OP, while Sean went through the motions just as he did in 1971, especially because he was already covering territory he did in 1965. And most "ardent" fans know NSNA isn't anymore of a Bond movie than CR54 or CR67. Are we calling them real Bond movies too? Should we just call any movie with a character named James Bond a Bond movie? No, there is clear criteria for this, not an EON movie, not a Bond movie.

Well, I suppose starting off the day with a good, hearty belly laugh isn't the worst thing =))
    senthilvel wrote:

Nobody around here could love Sir Sean's Bond any more than I do, but clearly you are in need of a reality check. Body comparisons aside, Moore did more serious acting in OP, while Sean went through the motions just as he did in 1971, especially because he was already covering territory he did in 1965. And most "ardent" fans know NSNA isn't anymore of a Bond movie than CR54 or CR67. Are we calling them real Bond movies too? Should we just call any movie with a character named James Bond a Bond movie? No, there is clear criteria for this, not an EON movie, not a Bond movie.

Well, I suppose starting off the day with a good, hearty belly laugh isn't the worst thing =))

Hear! Hear! I'm following with the rear guard buddy, tommy-gun in hand!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    senthilvel wrote:

Whilst I agree with you slapping down senthilvel's Comnery fixated lunacy you let yourself down by employing exactly the same twisted logic that he does based on personal preference rather than any coherent argument.

There is absolutely no reason to state that something not made by EON can't be classed as a Bond film. Its just a coincidence that all 3 Bonds produced outside of the EON stable have been poor but its not the basis for a logical argument.

I would certainly class NSNA as a real Bond film and in fact legally it is as dear old Kevin had the rights to make it. CR67 is obviously a giant turd but CR54 for all its flaws (and they are many) is true to the novel on several occasions.

But at the end of the day they are all Bond films, shit Bond films yes but Bond films nonetheless. And lets not forget EON have made a few clunkers themselves. DAF and DAD are automatically better than NSNA are they merely thanks to the EON bells and whistles of gunbarrel and Bond theme?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    There 2 classes of Bond movies. Official and Unofficial.

Official.
    All 23+ EoN Production Films.

Unofficial.
    CR54/67.
    Never Say Never Again.

All are Bond movies. But the Official are the ones to see.
    Murdock wrote:

Official.
    All 23+ EoN Production Films.

Unofficial.
    CR54/67.
    Never Say Never Again.

All are Bond movies. But the Official are the ones to see.

Agreed. I really need to see the '54 CR. It'd easily top the other two.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited June 2013 Posts: 17,691
    Murdock wrote:
    I disagree. The two classes are great Bond Movies (DN - YOLT), and other Bond Movies.
    :))
    I agree that Sean was just going thru the motions in NSNA just like he did he DAF but he seemed to be enjoying himself (unlike YOLT) however that being said, NSNA would be a James Bond movie but it just did not feel like one.
    No Gunbarrell
    No Bond Theme
    I know that the producers could not use these two elements due to legal issues.

The high points of the film for me was Sean playing Bond as an aging and almost over the hill agent, Q branch being in a shytty basement with a bitter Q envious of the CIA's massive budgets...Klaus Maria Brandauer made a great villain, and of course Fatima Blush played by that hot Barbara Carrera.