OCTOPUSSY 30 YR ANNIVERSARY

Comments

• edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Happy anniversary to OP. One of the great all-time Bond films. I couldn't get enough of it when it first hit theatres. As much as I love Sean, this Eon entry blew NSNA out of the water in 1983. The plotting was very contemporary and even ominous, with the cold war and the threat of Soviet invasion always a possibility, but Eon was politic enough to cast the villanous Russians as rogue, which made it more entertaining.
    It's got it's groaner moments like all the Rog films do, tarzan yell most noticeably, but otherwise it's a potent mix of Bondian colour and excess, grounded in hard-edged, dangerous adventure. And as usual, Barry's score dramatically ramps up the tension and suspense when needed.
    Love the cast of camp-dangerous villains and femmes, from Kamal Khan, Gobinda, the killer twins, Yo-Yo assassin to OP and Magda.
    Nice job with the actual octopussy too (the sea creature) and slipping in bits of both Fleming's OP and POAL.
    OP is easily my favourite of the Glen films. It's one of the great Bonds, even worthy of inclusion with the best of Young and Hamilton, I'd say.
  • Not trying to get off on the wrong foot here with you, but to put a hack action star and a nobody short of one big break role like Lazenby in the company of the greats like Connery and Dalton, while calling perhaps the best villain in the Moore tenure "irritating" doesn't make sense to me at all. Berkoff's performance is that of a talented and accomplished actor who knows his character is supposed to be flamboyant and OTT, and he plays it to perfection.

Don't get me wrong here when I say this. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and I agree with a lot of your post. But just in this past week I've read one poster who thinks George isn't wooden and underrated and doesn't understand why practically the whole Bond universe does. The answer is simple. George isn't an actor, and any one who knows a thing about acting knows it too. He's an action star like Chuck Norris, and he's about as bad too in all his wooden glory. Comparing George favorably to Connery, Dalton, Craig, or Moore is laughable in any stretch of reality, and for me really skews a poster's credibility when they make statements like they know what they are talking about when they don't. Even Brosnan's tick the box caricature is better than anything Lazenby has ever done, because I know the man can act and have seen it myself in and out of a Bond film. .

Hmm. I don't think I've made myself clear while describing my views about Orlov, so I'll take it back. The character just didn't sit very well with me. Probably because of the way the over-the-top elements were executed and the type of character he is, but he's just not one of my favourites. I'll admit I haven't watched the film for a while, and I'll probably give it another blast sometime to have a reinforced opinion towards it. Also, those four Bonds (including George) happen to be Bonds that I enjoy the most and, well, 'bond' with (Pun intended? Who knows?), particularly the 'favourite three' that I mentioned.
  • @SirHenryLeeChaChing But all that matters is that my tastes and preferences are and can be different different, regardless of how quirky they may come out. :)
  • @SirHenryLeeChaChing But all that matters is that my tastes and preferences are and can be different different, regardless of how quirky they may come out. :)

And we are all entitled to that :)

And we are all entitled to that :)

Agreed. :)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Not trying to get off on the wrong foot here with you, but to put a hack action star and a nobody short of one big break role like Lazenby in the company of the greats like Connery and Dalton, while calling perhaps the best villain in the Moore tenure "irritating" doesn't make sense to me at all. Berkoff's performance is that of a talented and accomplished actor who knows his character is supposed to be flamboyant and OTT, and he plays it to perfection.
    Laz comments aside (but we'll come to that) you are spot on about Berkoff.
    Comparing George favorably to Connery, Dalton, Craig, or Moore is laughable in any stretch of reality, and for me really skews a poster's credibility when they make statements like they know what they are talking about when they don't. Even Brosnan's tick the box caricature is better than anything Lazenby has ever done, because I know the man can act and have seen it myself in and out of a Bond film.

Not standing for this.

OK, in the first act and disguised as Sir Hilary he might be somewhat unpolished and not the best actor in history, but from the second Blofeld exposes him under the Christmas tree George simply smashes it out of the park and doesnt let up until the credits roll.
    Until Dan hes the only Bond who genuinely looks in fear of his life as he chokes the guy in the forest or when huddling with a glass of gluwein at the ice rink, he does well for his inexperience in the proposal scene and really holds his own against Bernard Lee in some of the best M scenes of the series. And he nails the final scene.

When talking about someone portraying the character of Ian Fleming's James Bond feel free to call me someone who doesnt know what they are talking about then because personally I prefer the guy who portrays a believable man who is vulnerable and afraid rather than the podgy guy in the toupee who phones in performances because the fact hes Sean Connery should be enough for the audience (by the way please tell me; how many great actors need to have some spurious reason their character hails from Scotland written into every script because they can only play themselves?), the holiday camp comedian who cavorts in underwater cars and hover-gondolas (or even space itself FFS) or the smug James Bond parody who just runs methodically through his check list of every Bond cliche for film after film.

If we're talking about great acting then only Sean in DN and FRWL, Tim and Dan have any claim to that.
    Even Brosnan's tick the box caricature is better than anything Lazenby has ever done, because I know the man can act and have seen it myself in and out of a Bond film.

Before accusing people of not knowing what they are talking about I would point you towards exhibit A SirHenryLee Stanislavski: - 'He knew all about my shoooulder'.

Yeah - the only reason Daniel Day Lewis gets work is because Brozza turns it down as it doesnt stretch him enough as an actor.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    More attacks on Brosnan. How sad.
  • Guys, I apologise if I caused anything negative when I posted my thoughts regarding Octopussy and my tastes on Bond. I didn't expect anything to escalate when I posted my thoughts. I'm feeling pretty bad about the situation now. :(

With that aside, I wish to return to the main topic of this thread before things spiral out of control.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Happy 30th Octopussy!
    octopussy_poster_by_comandercool22-d68an0r.jpg
  • Murdock wrote:
    Happy 30th Octopussy!
    octopussy_poster_by_comandercool22-d68an0r.jpg

Now THAT is a brilliant image.
    Now THAT is a brilliant image.

Thank you! :D

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,350
    If you're in the UK, every day from 4-5pm there's competition you can enter to win Bond prizes, the Craig films on DVD and the 007 fragrance, if you're one of the five lucky winners.

Just answer the Octopussy question 007 poses:

https://twitter.com/007/with_replies
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 12,837
    @TheWizardOfIce While I completely agree about Lazenby and (to an extent) Connery (I think he's good in GF and TB too and alright in YOLT), I think you're a bit harsh on Brozza.

Fair enough he didn't take the character into bold new terrority but although his Bond was essentially a mix of Connery and Moore, I thought it was a brilliant mix of Connery and Moore that was always entertaining.

He wasn't the best actor (he really is better outside of Bond though, brilliant in The Matador for example), but he did have some moments where he did the darker and emotional stuff really well (his best probably being the Kauffman scene).

I thought Brosnan did a very good cinematic Bond, and that was just what the series needed to get it going again.
    @TheWizardOfIce While I completely agree about Lazenby and (to an extent) Connery (I think he's good in GF and TB too and alright in YOLT), I think you're a bit harsh on Brozza.

Fair enough he didn't take the character into bold new terrority but although his Bond was essentially a mix of Connery and Moore, I thought it was a brilliant mix of Connery and Moore that was always entertaining.

He wasn't the best actor (he really is better outside of Bond though, brilliant in The Matador for example), but he did have some moments where he did the darker and emotional stuff really well (his best probably being the Kauffman scene).

I thought Brosnan did a very good cinematic Bond, and that was just what the series needed to get it going again.

I agree. I certainly don't hate Brozza and think he had some excellent moments as Bond despite the Sean/Rog hybrid approach.

He just ended up as collateral damage in my defence of Laz.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice

When talking about someone portraying the character of Ian Fleming's James Bond feel free to call me someone who doesnt know what they are talking about then because personally I prefer the guy who portrays a believable man who is vulnerable and afraid rather than the podgy guy in the toupee who phones in performances because the fact hes Sean Connery should be enough for the audience (by the way please tell me; how many great actors need to have some spurious reason their character hails from Scotland written into every script because they can only play themselves?), the holiday camp comedian who cavorts in underwater cars and hover-gondolas (or even space itself FFS) or the smug James Bond parody who just runs methodically through his check list of every Bond cliche for film after film.

If we're talking about great acting then only Sean in DN and FRWL, Tim and Dan have any claim to that.

I can appreciate your defense of Lazenby but I'm not sure I like your argument here. It seems as though as long as an actor portrays Bond the way that you want him too then you consider it a great performance. Regardless of their abilities or lack of abilities. Let's throw Fleming out the window for a moment and just go by talent alone. Do you really feel that George's performance in OHMSS is better than Sean's in GF and TB? I just can't agree with that.
    I also love how George brought vulnerability to the role. I think he nailed that side of Fleming's Bond better than anyone else actually. However, he does come across as a man with little acting experience. Which is what he was.
    edited June 2013 Posts: 9,117
    pachazo wrote:
    Let's throw Fleming out the window for a moment

Anyone whose opening gambit is this line is already on the verge of losing the argument in my book.

My whole point is that George does a better job of portraying the guy Fleming wrote about than the others with only Sean in DN and FRWL, Tim and Dan coming as close. If I do as you say and throw Fleming out then thats my whole argument gone so I'm not about to do that am I?

Of course I'm not about to argue that George is oozing more talent than the rest as they are after all guys who have made a career out of acting and he hasnt but to answer your question - 'Do you really feel that George's performance in OHMSS is better than Sean's in GF and TB?'
    Well in terms of playing a wisecracking playboy who strolls around shagging loads of birds and getting himself out of sticky situations by pressing a button then the answer is 'no'. Sean has that down in GF and TB and only Rog would come anywhere near those heights. His performances may be slick, may be polished, may be well acted but are they Ian Flemings Bond?

After FRWL Sean only plays Flemings Bond sporadically and not at all after TB.

I dont think Rog could ever be said to have played Flemings Bond - kicking Locque over the cliff the only moment that springs to mind, maybe dinner with Scaramanga at a pinch and the scene with Anya where he reveals he killed Sergei? (Although ultimately what a waste the Sergei plot strand was. Imagine what Dalton or Craig could have done with it).

Brozza? Maybe the scene with Alec in the statue park but is quite Flemingesque but Bean acts him off the screen anyway. Shooting Elektra in the face perhaps? Its slim pickings though.

Of course George benefitted from having one of the best and most faithful to the novel scripts and if Broz or Sean had got it (although I dont think Sean in 69 would have put in anything but a lazy, perfunctory effort) then who knows? OHMSS might have been even better. Also Georges flame burnt out like James Dean so we are left with a perfect image of him. Had he trudged through the likes of DAF and TMWTGG then perhaps he would have been shown up for what he was - a guy off the street who got lucky.

But we can only judge on what we have and in terms of playing Ian Flemings James Bond and not the cinematic version that became a cliche that spawned Austin Powers then its George all the way for me. Indubitably.

But then I've never just 'thrown Fleming out of the window' so what do I know?
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Well...I think its fair to say that George and Broz are both better actors than any these guys :))

Though I have seen a slap similar to the one at 0.21 before ;)

Anyway happy anniversary to OP. A solid little Bond flick.
    pachazo wrote:
    Let's throw Fleming out the window for a moment

Anyone whose opening gambit is this line is already on the verge of losing the argument in my book.

My whole point is that George does a better job of portraying the guy Fleming wrote about than the others with only Sean in DN and FRWL, Tim and Dan coming as close. If I do as you say and throw Fleming out then thats my whole argument gone so I'm not about to do that am I?

Of course I'm not about to argue that George is oozing more talent than the rest as they are after all guys who have made a career out of acting and he hasnt but to answer your question - 'Do you really feel that George's performance in OHMSS is better than Sean's in GF and TB?'
    Well in terms of playing a wisecracking playboy who strolls around shagging loads of birds and getting himself out of sticky situations by pressing a button then the answer is 'no'. Sean has that down in GF and TB and only Rog would come anywhere near those heights. His performances may be slick, may be polished, may be well acted but are they Ian Flemings Bond?

After FRWL Sean only plays Flemings Bond sporadically and not at all after TB.

I dont think Rog could ever be said to have played Flemings Bond - kicking Locque over the cliff the only moment that springs to mind, maybe dinner with Scaramanga at a pinch and the scene with Anya where he reveals he killed Sergei? (Although ultimately what a waste the Sergei plot strand was. Imagine what Dalton or Craig could have done with it).

Brozza? Maybe the scene with Alec in the statue park but is quite Flemingesque but Bean acts him off the screen anyway. Shooting Elektra in the face perhaps? Its slim pickings though.

Of course George benefitted from having one of the best and most faithful to the novel scripts and if Broz or Sean had got it (although I dont think Sean in 69 would have put in anything but a lazy, perfunctory effort) then who knows? OHMSS might have been even better. Also Georges flame burnt out like James Dean so we are left with a perfect image of him. Had he trudged through the likes of DAF and TMWTGG then perhaps he would have been shown up for what he was - a guy off the street who got lucky.

But we can only judge on what we have and in terms of playing Ian Flemings James Bond and not the cinematic version that became a cliche that spawned Austin Powers then its George all the way for me. Indubitably.

But then I've never just 'thrown Fleming out of the window' so what do I know?

Well said, Mr Ice. Great to see some support for Mr Lazenby on these boards, but then OHMSS is my favourite Bond film precisely because it is so very different!
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    OP is a lovely film.
    Moore and Maud Adams has great chemistry
    Wayborne is smoking hot
    Louis Jordan as Kamal Khan is a great villain. He has some great one liners: "You have the annoying habit of surviving." "Mr. Bond is a rare breed, soon to become extinct," and my favorite: "Oc-to-pussy, Oc-to-pussy."
    The climatic battle on the plane between Bond, Gobinda
    The Tiger hunt
    Great PTS
    like The Wizard says, "What is there not to like?"
    The very last bit of the film! And I have seen some pictures or Wayborne but from the 80's not now because she's like 60.

And Honor Blackman aka Pussy Galore is in her eighties so what's your point?
    Unless you are crossing the street and get hit by a herd of velociraptors you gonna be an old ugly fart one day too.

I'll have plastic surgery like Denise Richards :)
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    OP is a lovely film.
    Wayborne is smoking hot
    Louis Jordan as Kamal Khan is a great villain. He has some great one liners: "You have the annoying habit of surviving." "Mr. Bond is a rare breed, soon to become extinct," and my favorite: "Oc-to-pussy, Oc-to-pussy."
    The Tiger hunt
    Great PTS
    The very last bit of the film! And I have seen some pictures or Wayborne but from the 80's not now because she's like 60.

Unless you are crossing the street and get hit by a herd of velociraptors you gonna be an old ugly fart one day too.

Thanks for that. Made a lot of sense.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    On 007 twitter now, for the next half an hour, you can win prizes! Just tweet them what SPECTRE stands for.
    edited June 2013 Posts: 496
    Dragonpol wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    OP is a lovely film.
    Wayborne is smoking hot
    The Tiger hunt
    Great PTS

Samuel001 wrote:
    On 007 twitter now, for the next half an hour, you can win prizes! Just tweet them what SPECTRE stands for.

Dragonpol wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    OP is a lovely film.
    Wayborne is smoking hot
    The Tiger hunt
    Great PTS

Samuel001 wrote:

NOOO!! My keyboard isn't working on my other computer and of course I live with my parents and they still have the parental lock on :( Awkward. I don't have an account on here so I have to use my younger brothers one awkward.

Yes, you are definitely @samainsy. Nuff said.
    Samuel001 wrote:

What type of prizes?
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 3,494
    @GoldenDalton89- no need to apologize fellow Dalton fan. Lazenby has his defenders who, IMO, often make fairly outlandish statements regarding his acting ability. Which would be fine if these posters actually knew something about acting, but I've yet to hear that defense properly stated. It's only opinion often based solely on personal preferences. And it's about as entertaining as listening to someone defend Chuck Norris :)) Having taken acting classes myself in order to better develop my on stage presence during my touring days as a musician, I think I know a little bit about the subject. To see real acting being done in OHMSS, I refer to the rest of the cast who were wonderfully convincing in their roles, and may as well finish what I started before trying to get this thread back on track in paying homage to OP on it's 30th anniversary.

Not trying to get off on the wrong foot here with you, but to put a hack action star and a nobody short of one big break role like Lazenby in the company of the greats like Connery and Dalton, while calling perhaps the best villain in the Moore tenure "irritating" doesn't make sense to me at all. Berkoff's performance is that of a talented and accomplished actor who knows his character is supposed to be flamboyant and OTT, and he plays it to perfection.
    Laz comments aside (but we'll come to that) you are spot on about Berkoff.
    Comparing George favorably to Connery, Dalton, Craig, or Moore is laughable in any stretch of reality, and for me really skews a poster's credibility when they make statements like they know what they are talking about when they don't. Even Brosnan's tick the box caricature is better than anything Lazenby has ever done, because I know the man can act and have seen it myself in and out of a Bond film.

Not standing for this.

OK, in the first act and disguised as Sir Hilary he might be somewhat unpolished and not the best actor in history, but from the second Blofeld exposes him under the Christmas tree George simply smashes it out of the park and doesnt let up until the credits roll.
    Until Dan hes the only Bond who genuinely looks in fear of his life as he chokes the guy in the forest or when huddling with a glass of gluwein at the ice rink, he does well for his inexperience in the proposal scene and really holds his own against Bernard Lee in some of the best M scenes of the series. And he nails the final scene.

Even Brosnan's tick the box caricature is better than anything Lazenby has ever done, because I know the man can act and have seen it myself in and out of a Bond film.

Before accusing people of not knowing what they are talking about I would point you towards exhibit A SirHenryLee Stanislavski: - 'He knew all about my shoooulder'.

Yeah - the only reason Daniel Day Lewis gets work is because Brozza turns it down as it doesnt stretch him enough as an actor.

Smashes it out of the park, you say?. Well, you and others are entitled to have this rather humorous opinion. All I see is a hopelessly wooden chocolate model with a monotone delivery, with his support cast leading him around by the nose through his various scenes to make sure he was at least passable. That is when he wasn't too busy shagging women during working hours when he should have been studying first and worrying about girls later when off duty (after all, a man cannot live by bread alone and must have his fish ;) ), beefing about not getting star treatment, and generally thinking he should be treated like Sean when he'd proven absolutely nothing as a movie star, let alone an actor with prior credits. I doubt Dana Broccoli ever had to remind the other fellas about their place. And speaking further about Sean, I'd say TB was his finest performance after seamlessly assimilating the Hamilton super spy with Young's sensibilities. That's what a great actor with an Oscar on his mantle can do, comparing George favorably to a bloated DAF performance where Sean was clearly in it for the money is a whole lot of straw clutching to me. Georgie couldn't shine Sean's shoes on his very best day, and if a motivated Sean had done OHMSS, fugeddaboutit, it would have been the very best Bond film ever. Which as far as I'm concerned it can never be because a non-actor who couldn't convince me via acting skills he was more than a fill-in for Sean was the star. George's glaring ineptness as an actor may fool some of you out there, but I know better [-X

When I call Brosnan a "caricature", I mean that strictly in terms of his GQ looks and the too obvious way he ticks the boxes rather than venturing a fresh new vision of Bond. In comparison to Lazenby, the former is fair. George, taking nothing here away from his real life gravitas and balls, pursued a caricature of Sir Sean by giving himself a makeover in Sean's JB image, going so far as to go to Sean's barber and tailor. Now if you want to compare both as an actor, I'd venture to say that short of George's action star skills that make him a better on screen fighter (no doubt honed by years of drunken bar brawling), I really don't see where he's the better actor. And that's not to defend your Exhibit A or the many other instances where the Brozzer seems too content with cheesy deliveries, but I also see certain scenes like the ending fight with Trevalyan where he does well in action spots, and can name several scenes such as his Kaufman confrontation that show me when given the right lines and motivations, he can occasionally be convincing in the role. Pierce studied at the Drama Centre, London, for several years before he had his first role in any production, and had many credits before taking the role of James Bond. In this, he qualifies as an accomplished actor. Now whether one sees him as a good actor is open to interpretation, personally I like him much better in non-Bondian roles and don't feel he was a good Bond in comparison to Sean, Roger, or Tim who came before let alone Daniel, but in the above comparisons only one logical conclusion can be drawn- Pierce is an actor and George is an action star. And for most, the actor wins every time.

Getting back to Sir Roger on this, again we have a real actor at work. Yes it's fair to say as you have, that at times during his tenure he is "the holiday camp comedian who cavorts in underwater cars and hover-gondolas (or even space itself FFS)", but here's something that has to be said in his defense. He is far more than just a comedic talent. Again, we have an accomplished actor who was trained and had many film and TV credits going back some 23 years that included being a MGM contract player during Hollywood's golden age of the 1950's. The truly telling factor in the way of comparing either as Bond is very telling- after George everyone including myself was screaming for Sean to return and being an original fan, I lived through the uproar and read all the press clippings and everything else going on because I was a young and obsessed new Bond fan. After Moore debuted in LALD, the public and Bond fans were not screaming and everyone seemed mostly satisfied. Rather than thinking that looking the part was the lone prerequisite, and quite frankly he had brown hair which didn't match the standard any more than Craig's look, he went in with a game plan that Pierce and George either lacked or failed to bring to fruition. He knew that if he hoped to succeed, he HAD to be different than Sean 1962-1965. And it mostly worked because the man was a legitimate actor and established his own interpretation of the role. Something Sean did, Tim did, and something Craig is currently still defining. Again, this is certainly reason to consider these four actors ahead of both Pierce and George in any list based on more than one's personal preferences, and further reason to congratulate OP and Sir Roger on the film's 30th anniversary because without Sir Roger, we might not have a series :)

• edited June 2013 Posts: 11,189
    My personal thoughts:

George is closer to Fleming in terms of presenting a more "human" Bond BUT is let down a bit by some wooden line deliveries (especially early on), the exceptional cast around him and the fact he's dubbed for a lengthy period in his one and only Bond flick.

That said George, like Broz, had some occasionally fine moments in the part and each were somewhat let down by external circumstances (George - his goofy agent, Broz - cheesey writing and stunt casting).

Both had their limitations as well as their strengths.

If I were asked who I felt was more charismatic in the part though, sorry Laz but Broz wins this time. The same can be applied to Rog.

I can understand why many hardcore Bond fans prefer Laz though.
    edited June 2013 Posts: 496
    Is it just me but at the end of Octopussy does anyone else get goose-bumps when the bombs about to go off and everyone's fighting?
    Is it just me but at the end of Octopussy does anyone else get goose-bumps when the bombs about to go off and everyone's fighting?

Yes, that scene is handled most excellently by John Glen. Superb. I get it when the people in the crowd start standing up!
    Dragonpol wrote:

Yes, that scene is handled most excellently by John Glen. Superb. I get it when the people in the crowd start standing up!
    Every time I see it I think it'll blow up!
    Dragonpol wrote:

Every time I see it I think it'll blow up!

That's the beauty of suspense.