Who/what do you REALLY love to hate?

Comments

• edited May 2013 Posts: 4,622
    I'm a fan of TB. It is the most mysterious of Bond films and has a tremendous undercurrent of menace. Excellent score from Barry, and I can't fault the acting one bit. Great credits, too, and I love the traditional Bond-and-babe on water conclusion.
    yes, I think TB might be the best Bond of them all. It rivets me from start to finish. Best viewed with big picture and big sound, if one can swing it. It's one of those movies I wish would never end. I caught it, in all it's widescreen 4k restored glory at the Tiff Designing Bond festival last year. Words can't describe. The movie got a standing ovation from the packed theatre. Bummer having to return to the real world afterwards.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Off the top of my head, Bill Conti's score for FYEO. It practically makes the film unwatchable for me.
    timmer wrote:
    I'm a fan of TB. It is the most mysterious of Bond films and has a tremendous undercurrent of menace. Excellent score from Barry, and I can't fault the acting one bit. Great credits, too, and I love the traditional Bond-and-babe on water conclusion.
    yes, I think TB might be the best Bond of them all. It rivets me from start to finish. Best viewed with big picture and big sound, if one can swing it. It's one of those movies I wish would never end. I caught it, in all it's widescreen 4k restored glory at the Tiff Designing Bond festival last year. Words can't describe. The movie got a standing ovation from the packed theatre. Bummer having to return to the real world afterwards.

In many ways, TB is what a Bond film should be. It's big, brash, bloody, ballsy, beautiful, glamorous and exotic. I'm not saying it's the best of the Bonds, but conceptually speaking, it very may well may set the gold standard.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    timmer wrote:

In many ways, TB is what a Bond film should be. It's big, brash, bloody, ballsy, beautiful, glamorous and exotic. I'm not saying it's the best of the Bonds, but conceptually speaking, it very may well may set the gold standard.

How has this thread turned into a TB love in all of a sudden?

Am I seriously the only one out there who finds it a tedious, suspense-free plod?

Watching paint dry is not even a fair comparison to paint. Parts of TB are like watching a wall where the paint has already dried and you just watch the paint sitting there staying dry.
    Murdock wrote:
    Lee Tamahori. (Bad director who almost ruined the franchise, believer of the stupid 007 Code Name farce.)

What is the "007 Code Name farce"? Forgive me if it is obvious and something I should already know!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited May 2013 Posts: 16,328
    00Beast wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Lee Tamahori. (Bad director who almost ruined the franchise, believer of the stupid 007 Code Name farce.)

What is the "007 Code Name farce"? Forgive me if it is obvious and something I should already know!

Basically some believe that "James Bond" Is a Cover name given to Random agents that have the "007" Status to my understanding. Basically some people have a hard time understanding that 6 James Bond actors are playing the same James Bond. Where some people believe that the 6 actors are 6 different agents with the Cover name "James Bond."

Lee thought "James Bond" was a cover name.
  • Murdock wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Basically some believe that "James Bond" Is a Cover name given to Random agents that have the "007" Status to my understanding. Basically some people have a hard time understanding that 6 James Bond actors are playing the same James Bond. Where some people believe that the 6 actors are 6 different agents with the Cover name "James Bond."

Lee thought "James Bond" was a cover name.

Whilst I've never subscribed to the theory, it was the only logical way of explaining away the fact that Bond didn't age (for those who had a problem with that)
    The theory is clearly fanciful. Both Rog and Dalt reminised Tracy's death on a personal level, and Laz wistfully reminised Connery's Bond. End of story. What's there to discuss?
    Broz is the only one that doesn't directly connect with the previous 4, but I could be wrong there.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I dunno, I kind of like parts of TB, but I guess it's no GF, even though I don't like that Bond classic as much as some seem to.
    timmer wrote:
    The theory is clearly fanciful. Both Rog and Dalt reminised Tracy's death on a personal level, and Laz wistfully reminised Connery's Bond. End of story. What's there to discuss?
    Broz is the only one that doesn't directly connect with the previous 4, but I could be wrong there.

There is a moment in TWINE where Elektra asks Bond if he ever lost a loved one and he hesitates to answer then just changes the subject to avoid answering the question.
    Murdock wrote:
    There is a moment in TWINE where Elektra asks Bond if he ever lost a loved one and he hesitates to answer then just changes the subject to avoid answering the question.
    That works. He's clearly reminiscing Tracy's death, much like Rog and Dalt's did. So that settles it. The first 5 Bonds are all the same character, in the same timeline.
    Why are we even debating this?

The code name is the biggest pile of bollocks ever and I loathe anyone who subscribes to it more than Mcclory himself.

In fact this could well topple Kev from the number 1 spot.
    timmer wrote:

I don't think it is the best Bond either (FRWL is), but it may be the perfect blockbuster Bond. It is much more plausible than TSWLM, GE, TND, Bond is much more proactive in it than in GF, TB big, large scale without being dumb. I have been dreaming about a TB Bond movie for ages. Not a clone, not a remake, but a Bond movie done with the same approach. If they want to reintroduce Quantum and end the arch, TB is the movie they should use as a model.
  • Why are we even debating this?

The code name is the biggest pile of bollocks ever and I loathe anyone who subscribes to it more than Mcclory himself.

In fact this could well topple Kev from the number 1 spot.

Do it - get rid of McClory...

It's a silly idea as it clearly flies in the face of the intention of pretty much every actor and filmmaker in the series. But the reason it came about and won a little popular support was because of very literal minded people who couldn't deal with the fact that Bond wasn't ageing.

It's a silly idea as it clearly flies in the face of the intention of pretty much every actor and filmmaker in the series. But the reason it came about and won a little popular support was because of very literal minded people who couldn't deal with the fact that Bond wasn't ageing.

Well he did age a couple times, then got younger a few times. =))

Murdock wrote:
    But for the Lazenby blip, he aged naturally for the first 14 films, as Moore was slightly older than Connery.
    Then he found the film fountain-of-youth and morphed into Dalts.

timmer wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    But for the Lazenby blip, he aged naturally for the first 14 films, as Moore was slightly older than Connery.
    Then he found the film fountain-of-youth and morphed into Dalts.

Well Lazenby (29) to Connery (41) was a bit of a stretch. :p
    Murdock wrote:
    He was obviously depressed over Tracy's death, so he let himself go. :P
  • timmer wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

:))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    timmer wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Nah, I doubt it, considering he forgets all about her in the abortion that is DAF.
  • Yes, my hero may have been spending too much time at those lavish Vegas buffet tables, grazing to forget his pain ;)
    edited May 2013 Posts: 9,117
    timmer wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

What and consoled himself by comfort eating box upon box of Krispy Kremes?
  • timmer wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

What and consoled himself by comfort eating box upon box of Krispy Kremes?

Maybe Bond eats his feelings. Who are we to judge?
    I wont' judge. Connery was at his brutish face-smashing best in DAF. Utter Connery awesomeness.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Was that a typo? I would say FRWL ...
  • Was that a typo? I would say FRWL ...

Timmer is one of the very few people here who feels DAF is a gem, so there it is. Personally, I think TB is his best individual performance where he and TY bring his first 3 movies together into one package.

edited May 2013 Posts: 17,729

Timmer is one of the very few people here who feels DAF is a gem, so there it is. Personally, I think TB is his best individual performance where he and TY bring his first 3 movies together into one package.

Agreed. Some find it boring and slow-paced, but there is just something about that Thunderball, isn't there?

I'm going to be watching DAF very soon again for a blog review and I can tell you, it won't be a positive review as it's far from being a gem!

I belong to Timmer's august assembly as well!

:)

I belong to Timmer's august assembly as well!

:)

I find it hard to say positive things about DAF hence my article being titled 'A Very Nasty Little Film Indeed - An Alternative Review of Diamonds Are Forever (1971)'. I hope to get it up on my blog very soon.
    Here is someone I would add to my personal hate list just because of DAF: Tom Mankiewicz. Not only did he turned Blofeld in a travesty (literally), but he also wrote a Batman script, thankfully that was never developed in a film, which was also appallingly bad.