Broccoli and Wilson to produce a new non-Bond movie

edited May 2013 in News Posts: 4,400
http://www.screendaily.com/festivals/cannes/riseborough-lewis-in-westends-storm/5056135.article

Not the announcement we were waiting for from them but interesting non the less.

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It's great to see them spreading their wings and as you said, who knows what will be announced next.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    No its not great.

I dont want to wait 3 years for the next Bond film because Babs thinks she is some sort of arty prooducer.

Just get on with your bread and butter and get the next Bond film out for 2014 while Daniel Craig doesnt need a zimmer frame.

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Interesting yet odd. They've not done another film outside of Bond since Call Me Bwana in 1963 and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in 1968, which is a long time and of course different producers in a different era. Producers really only stump up nthe financial backing, so I can't really see this as an impediment to the next Craig Bond, but of course, who knows, really?
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I wonder if there is some sort of bargain involved, like "If you agree to finance this then..."
    Sandy wrote:
    I wonder if there is some sort of bargain involved, like "If you agree to finance this then..."

Suggestions of some horse trading thrown into the mix. All very interesting...if true.
    you can be sure of one thing - Babs wants as many DC Bonds as possible. This is her MAIN goal.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Well her main goal isn't going to be possible if we're getting 3 to 4 year gaps between each film. How old is Craig now? 44/45?? Craig himself is smart enough to know when to call it a day and I doubt he'd want to continue after turning 50. Bond is a very demanding and physical role, time is also the killer of interest too. With the way things are looking we'd be lucky to get two more out of him and I just can't see Craig doing more than 5 Bond movies in total. With the prods talking about keeping Craig for as long as possible, you'd think they'd want him for a comfortable 6 movies but 5 movies in total doesn't seem that much relative to what the producers say they want.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Well her main goal isn't going to be possible if we're getting 3 to 4 year gaps between each film. How old is Craig now? 44/45?? Craig himself is smart enough to know when to call it a day and I doubt he'd want to continue after turning 50. Bond is a very demanding and physical role, time is also the killer of interest too. With the way things are looking we'd be lucky to get two more out of him and I just can't see Craig doing more than 5 Bond movies in total. With the prods talking about keeping Craig for as long as possible, you'd think they'd want him for a comfortable 6 movies but 5 movies in total doesn't seem that much relative to what the producers say they want.

Yes, that all stands to reason, I must say. I hope we get the next Bond well before the latest projected date of 2016. If we wait that long it might well be his last film, or at the very least his penultimate Bond!
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 5,767
    doubleoego wrote:
    Craig brought a lot of character development to the role, so a change from rough bouncer to a more smart and less physical portrayal wouldn´t seem all that odd. Which means theoretically he could play Bond till the cows come home, and there would even be the possibility of the job not becoming boring ;-).

As for Broccoli and Wilson producing a film outside of Bond, both producers stated now and then how much energy a Bond film demands. So why shouldn´t they do some stretching exercises in between ;-)?

Its crystall clear, Barbara will try to get as many DC Bonds as posssible, The rest is up to the gods.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    doubleoego wrote:

Absolutely. Craig is young enough to get 3 more out of him but not if we sit around making crappy melodramas instead of going full steam ahead. If the next Bond isnt 2014 then 2 more Craig films is all we are getting. He is way more physical in the role than Rog and doesnt have Rogs matinee idol good looks so the ravages of time are likely to be harder on him. I can honestly seeing him go on much past 52-53 even he wanted to.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    Much as I'd love Broccoli and Wilson to stay focused on the Bond films I can perfectly understand the desire to find new creative avenues, after all however much they are obviously passionate about the Bond series it was still very much a family obligation thrust on them. I'm just surprised they haven't ventured into new territories before.
    I'm bordering on obsessive about Bond in my spare time but even I need time out every couple of years, imagine what it must be like for them to spend 24/7 working on Bond.
    Personally I wish them every success with their new ventures.
    doubleoego wrote:

Absolutely. Craig is young enough to get 3 more out of him but not if we sit around making crappy melodramas instead of going full steam ahead. If the next Bond isnt 2014 then 2 more Craig films is all we are getting. He is way more physical in the role than Rog and doesnt have Rogs matinee idol good looks so the ravages of time are likely to be harder on him. I can honestly seeing him go on much past 52-53 even he wanted to.

I agree with all of the above. Brosnan quickly started looking his age by TWINE and in DAD he was really pushing it, people who thought then he had one more in him were at best delusional. Craig is in better shape and he started in the role earlier, but at a four years gap he'd be lucky to make five Bond movies.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 388
    Just to be clear, Wilson and Broccoli are financing and exec'ing, not actually producing the film. I imagine they're doing this as Eon's coffers have more in them now than, I imagine, any point since the 1960s allowing them a little investment.

Broccoli and Wilson also have two plays currently on in the UK.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,350
    saunders wrote:
    Much as I'd love Broccoli and Wilson to stay focused on the Bond films I can perfectly understand the desire to find new creative avenues, after all however much they are obviously passionate about the Bond series it was still very much a family obligation thrust on them. I'm just surprised they haven't ventured into new territories before.
    I'm bordering on obsessive about Bond in my spare time but even I need time out every couple of years, imagine what it must be like for them to spend 24/7 working on Bond.
    Personally I wish them every success with their new ventures.

I agree and it's not like Jogn Logan isn't writing as we speak. This film won't take up much of their time either I'd imagine, as they're only executive producing.

EDIT: @Sir_James_Moloney has beaten me too it with that point.
    doubleoego wrote:

They can get three more out of Craig only if B24 is in 2014, B25 is in 2016 and B26 is in 2018. And even then, B26 would be pushing it I think (Craig would be 50 at that point).

It also seems to me like Craig would NEVER stay around in his 50s. Didn't he have an interview where he said something like he would be the one that left (as opposed to the producers letting him go)? From a personal opinion, I think 50 is too old to play Bond unless the actor has aged like present day Tom Cruise or a Dick Tracy era Warren Beatty. (I suppose the same could be said for Roger Moore in the 1970s - he was close to 50 in TSWLM and looked great.) Hell, Brosnan was 45-46 in TWINE and I thought he looked good. (DAD was a different story, but I think that is primarily due to weight gain.) Daniel Craig was never young looking. These 4 year gaps between films are only going to hurt his chances of more films for him in the future. I love DC and Skyfall, but there are some scenes where Craig is starting to look quite old, I will admit.

Regarding the topic of this thread, I think Broccoli and Wilson know that James Bond is the top priority. Even if they involve themselves in other films, I don't think James Bond will be severely affected.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 2,015
    saunders wrote:
    I'm just surprised they haven't ventured into new territories before.

Well, here's a super official announcement from 2009 :

http://www.sony.com/SCA/company-news/press-releases/columbia-pictures/2009/sony-pictures-entertainment-grabs-remote-control-w.shtml

A reminder of the difference between the talks and actually finding the money to proceed ;) For the moment, "Silent Storm" exists I think only as a storyboard done by a freelancer (already a big step compared to "Remote Control" though, probably), and it's trying to find money at Cannes with foreign distributors etc...
  • saunders wrote:
    I'm just surprised they haven't ventured into new territories before.

Well, here's a super official announcement from 2009 :

http://www.sony.com/SCA/company-news/press-releases/columbia-pictures/2009/sony-pictures-entertainment-grabs-remote-control-w.shtml

A reminder of the difference between the talks and actually finding the money to proceed ;) For the moment, "Silent Storm" exists I think only as a storyboard done by a freelancer (already a big step compared to "Remote Control" though, probably), and it's trying to find money at Cannes with foreign distributors etc...

My understanding is that Wilson and Broccoli are financing the production of Silent Storm and West End are onboard as sales agents (so, trying to sell the film to distributors as you say)... but the film will get made either way because the money is there.
    No its not great.

I dont want to wait 3 years for the next Bond film because Babs thinks she is some sort of arty prooducer.

Just get on with your bread and butter and get the next Bond film out for 2014 while Daniel Craig doesnt need a zimmer frame.
    doubleoego wrote:

Completely agree with you two.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I remembered they were producing some plays.
    I want as many Craig Bonds as possible, too. I have to trust (hope/trust/have faith in ...) that Bond is their #1 priority and they are seasoned professionals who will not take on more than they can handle to get Bond films made right: time-wise and quality-wise.

I do want to ask other members here, who can tell me - in a clear enough, succinct way - what is the difference between executive producing and producing a film? I can only make a very uneducated guess and assume much less time and responsibility is involved. But I am interested to learn more. I've wondered about this in the past. Could someone explain the differences and main responsibilities of these two different roles? Exec. Producing vs. Producing ... thanks!

• I do want to ask other members here, who can tell me - in a clear enough, succinct way - what is the difference between executive producing and producing a film? I can only make a very uneducated guess and assume much less time and responsibility is involved. But I am interested to learn more. I've wondered about this in the past. Could someone explain the differences and main responsibilities of these two different roles? Exec. Producing vs. Producing ... thanks!

In short, @4EverBonded, a Producer is arguably the most important and responsible role on a feature film whereas an Executive Producer is generally just a credit not necessarily related to a role.

Producing is an actual job on a film: you are responsible for employing the director, cast, crew; overseeing the script; getting legal clearance for any necessary rights; dealing with the financiers and distributor(s)... basically making the film.

Executive producer is a very broad title. It generally means that you have helped to get the film made in some critical way (often related to financing.) An exec's role in the production will generally mean that they have some rights in signing-off things but they won't really have a role on the film as such. Wilson and Broccoli are financing the new film and this is why they will have Exec Producer credits on it. Execs can also be distributors, rights holders, cast members, lawyers, sales agents, talent agents or just about anything else. The amount of work done will vary massively between none whatsoever and lots.

(It's completely different in television)

Hope that helps!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2013 Posts: 12,459
    That helps clarify things a lot; thanks very much, @Sir_James_Moloney.
    I wish I had tons of bucks and could executive produce something I was interested in.

That also explains why so many famous names crop up as executive producers.
    Hmm Wilson and Brocolli producing a Non Bond Film legal wrangling with a parent company that I have no clue what is going on or if it has any affect on Bond and a main stream director that feels like a dark horse doesn't this all sound familiar?
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2013 Posts: 4,447
    Wow!, if this mean there is more contact between them, more reasen now to ask Andrea Riseborough as Bond girl.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Executive producer is a very broad title. It generally means that you have helped to get the film made in some critical way (often related to financing.)

Like for instance paying for the adaptation of a novel into a screenplay, or for the drawings of the storyboards, etc.. in order to have something to show at the Cannes Festival to obtain some money to actually make the movie. So it's often not clear at all at what stage of development hell some movies are. Silent Storm has some storyboards done that are being shown to potential buyers, Remote Control probably did not go further than the start of an adaptation, Bond 24 may be only four paragraphs on some sheet of paper given by John Logan, and in all cases the work done comes from EON's money 100% I think. But for the big money to actually do the movies, they need far more money, and they won't use theirs (they would even rather have their early money back in the process).

But in the end, exec producing can mean a lot of actual job "before" the movie, even if it means later less when the movie is being shot. And also, all this is theoretical... These titles are more and more honorary IMO. Don't forget that financing in the movie industry is so weird that no movie seems to make a profit (and we're talking about movies like Return of the Jedi here for instance :) ).