Batman

Comments

• edited March 2022 Posts: 440
    Nice to have a Batman movie with a distinct/memorable Gotham City and musical score again.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Be careful on social media today guys. There's fan screenings happening across the US.
    Curious to see how other Bat-fans here feel on the subject: preference for Batman alone, or Batman with Robin and / or Batgirl? Personally I've always preferred alone, but can appreciate when the latter is executed well.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Just came back from an IMAX screening.

This Batman is my jam.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    From the non spoiler reviews I have read, it sounds very good. I need to check local screen times.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I have just left. Only six more hours... The missus and I are going to spend a lovely day together before seeing the movie. She's taken a day off for that. She's not the biggest Batfan though she enjoys the Nolan trilogy. I am fairly sure that I will like, possibly love this film, but her thoughts will be less biased and so arguably more valuable to those who are interested in an honest assessment. 😁 Anyway, isn't she a darling for fullfilling this big Batman fan's wishes?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I’m so excited for my screening tomorrow :)
    Friday for me Amanda likes bond but cant get into batman hopefully this changes it.
    WB pulled The Batman from Russia release at the last minute, producing some suspense outside the film itself. One supposes they did not wish to bear with hearing Lena Headey in her perfect, payback-is-tough monotone, saying "Shame...shame...shame...shame..." Dang...GoT was so good when it still was good...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Since62 wrote: »
    WB pulled The Batman from Russia release at the last minute, producing some suspense outside the film itself. One supposes they did not wish to bear with hearing Lena Headey in her perfect, payback-is-tough monotone, saying "Shame...shame...shame...shame..." Dang...GoT was so good when it still was good...

One of the last instances of the show nailing it and delivering proper tension and entertainment. I'll never get over how badly they bungled the ending (and those final two seasons as a whole). "Shame," indeed.
    So... my wife thought the film too long, too dark and boring; I absolutely love The Batman. As a huge fan of YEAR ONE, I admire how this film captures the flavors of that book. This is a detective story, not an action flick. This is Batman vs. crime, not Batman vs. aliens. And yet, the film is dark and takes its time, but like Joker, it doesn't feel the obligation to be "more like Marvel." I will post a more detailed review soon, but I can safely say that this is a bonafide Batman film. Reeves delivery, and so does Robert.
    Great to hear, @DarthDimi. Most of the reviews I've seen thus far on Letterboxd seem to agree that it's one of the best but doesn't top the heights of TDK. I'm eager to see it for myself.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Great to hear, @DarthDimi. Most of the reviews I've seen thus far on Letterboxd seem to agree that it's one of the best but doesn't top the heights of TDK. I'm eager to see it for myself.

Here's where I tend to be more diplomatic. I would say that TB and TDK--or rather, the Nolanverse and the Reeverse (?)--are their own separate things, gunning for a different mood, a different "mission statement" and a different Batman. Like reading Miller's Batman and then Murphy's, one will find that there are obvious similarities and surprising differences. What Nolan did with TDK is nothing short of brilliant. The difficult task that the likes of Snyder and Reeves were then faced with was how to top that. Both chose wisely in the sense that they didn't pursue Nolan 2.0, but something else instead. Snyder chose the fantastical, the path leading to JLA; Reeves has chosen themes that Nolan had addressed as well, but with an entirely different tone and color scheme so to speak.

I'd say that the biggest difference between the Baleman and the Patman is that the former emphasized naturalism, whereas the latter seems more interested in a sort of impressionistic take on Batman, if that makes sense. Nolan focused hard on the methods and the technology, trying to show us that his Batman could be real. Reeves wants us to just accept that right away and dive into a dark crime dossier. If TDK is linked to Micheal Mann's HEAT, I would say that TB gives me Se7en vibes. In fact, I might even argue that TB shares its tone with Phillips' Joker.

But I love them both. They are both very strong films. Like comparing GE and CR--I can't make up my mind which of those two I think is the better Bond film--I have serious doubts that I will ever be able to rank these two Batmen. Then again, I mentioned in an earlier post that it's hard for me stay objective. My wife loves TDK but is cold on TB. She doesn't hate the film, she just thinks the film has little going on. I disagree, since I'm almost reading some of my favorite comics while watching the film. Is that a good thing? For you to decide.

The important thing is that I had a good time with Pat' Bat and that I am likely going back for seconds. As a Batfan, I feel treated with respect. But I cannot guaranteed that everyone will. I certainly picked up a few moans from my crowd today, mainly from teens whose minds were clearly still in Spider-man mode. Loud action every five minutes? Jokes for the whole family? Likeable, uncomplicate characters whom you'd want to be like? Happy, feel-good stuff? Fast pace for those with short attention spans? Well, you are getting none of that. Is that a good thing? Again, for you to decide. 😉
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited March 2022 Posts: 8,025
    Big difference is that while the Nolan films tried to keep things very grounded and play out in a way that would reflect the real world, THE BATMAN is much more colorful and stylized in a way.

There’s a funny bit where Batman crashes onto the street so hard after getting hit by a train in the middle of flying in his suit. If this had been in a Nolan film, Bale Batman would have just turned into strawberry jam and that would be it.

While THE BATMAN is very stylistically dark and gritty, it never tries to pretend to be anything less than fantastical and pulpy we expect from Batman. Sort of like the ARKHAM ASYLUM games. I like seeing this approach.

Also, it’s nice to see Batman with a car instead of a tank.
    Hmmm....I had thought that only Bond films get the Initials-Only identification scheme at MI6community.com. For example, not FIB, but Funeral In Berlin. This matters more acutely where the initials of a non-Bond film would match the initials of a Bond film. For example, if we keep the initials to Bond-only, then TB would not be The Batman, but stand for the 4th Bond film. Here we are, folks, at the crossroads. My note indicates, methinks, the direction I will take, the path I will follow...If the Moderators wish to pitch in, let's hear it ?
    Hmmm....I had thought that only Bond films get the Initials-Only identification scheme at MI6community.com. For example, not FIB, but Funeral In Berlin. This matters more acutely where the initials of a non-Bond film would match the initials of a Bond film. For example, if we keep the initials to Bond-only, then TB would not be The Batman, but stand for the 4th Bond film. Here we are, folks, at the crossroads. My note indicates, methinks, the direction I will take, the path I will follow...If the Moderators wish to pitch in, let's hear it ?

Evidently, within the context of this thread, people are able to understand B89, BR, BF, B&R, BB, TDK, TDKR, BVS, JL, TB, MOTP, ... The same happens over at the Star Wars thread (SW, ESB, ROTJ, ...) As soon as the context is clear, it's not necessary to write titles in full. You still can if you want to, though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I understood what TB meant in this context.
    Seeing this tomorrow. Can't wait!
    mtm wrote: »

Same, though I wanted to make a joke as to why Dimi's wife preferred Thunderball over The Dark Knight.

@Jimjambond, enjoy! Looking forward to your thoughts too.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »

Same, though I wanted to make a joke as to why Dimi's wife preferred Thunderball over The Dark Knight.

@Jimjambond, enjoy! Looking forward to your thoughts too.

Consider joke made ! And - the answer would be: Sean Connery, of course...
    tomorrow I am seeing it can't wait
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    The Batman is ridiculously good. It’s like New Hollywood made a comic book film.
    edited March 2022 Posts: 23,544
    Just returned from a second viewing. Twice in two days, fellas. Yes, I absolutely love this film. I cannot stress enough how so not funky and fast and action-driven this film is. It's a slow, gloomy and sombre detective story. We haven't seen this Batman in any of the live-action films before. Man, WB and Matt Reeves have some big cojones releasing such a depressing endurance test (and I say that as a good thing!) in an era of films for the Red Bull audience. This is WB's boldest demarcation move from the Marvel template so far. Dark, gritty, bleak, ... In an alternate universe, The Batman was released in the 1970s amidst The Conversation and The Day Of The Jackal. When school resumes next week, I'm sure I'll be having some animated discussions about The Batman with the 16-18 crowd. Like reading a direct sequel to YEAR ONE and borrowing elements from THE LONG HALLOWEEN, that's how this film feels to me. I cannot overstate how big a fan I am.

Also, Colin Farrell is magnificent and Zoë Kravitz is the best Catwoman for me so far, and that comes from a guy who simply adores Julie Newmar, Michelle Pfeiffer and Anne Hathaway!
    As for your adoration list, I'm right there with you, but since you're naming actresses and not films - I, for one, DEFINITELY would include Halle Berry ! The film was awful, with a very poor script, for beginners, but she's still Halle Berry !
    As for your adoration list, I'm right there with you, but since you're naming actresses and not films - I, for one, DEFINITELY would include Halle Berry ! The film was awful, with a very poor script, for beginners, but she's still Halle Berry !

I cannot consider that film a Catwoman story.
    I was focused on that list of actresses adored. By the way, I'd also add Eartha Kitt (roowrr !) and Lee Meriwether, as well. Were the film and TV productions in which they were involved brilliant ? Mmmmmaybe not -- but the actresses ! And there's more ! Ladies who have played the part on TV and in animated features (ie, voice acting) have all been magnificent, regardless of how much one may like or not like the production in which they were involved. This part has been graced by a lovely, lovely group of ladies who've played the part.
    Absolutely. And Zoë is another brilliant addition.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Just got back. Masterpiece, absolute masterpiece.
  • Just got back from the theater, might be my new favorite Comic Book film!
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    Like reading a direct sequel to YEAR ONE and borrowing elements from THE LONG HALLOWEEN, that's how this film feels to me. I cannot overstate how big a fan I am.

Music to my ears, Year One is still the high water mark for Batman comic books for me.