Beverly Hills Cop (1984 - present)

edited August 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 121
I searched keywords to make sure this wasn't going to be a duplicate thread but only found the thead on the new tv series. This thread is dedicated to the 3 films.

I always loved these films as a child. Axel Foley was one of those characters that influenced a young boy like myself, as did James Bond.

Comments

• I love Beverley Hills cop 1 and 2 which is where they should have left it as the 3rd instalment is pretty poor imo.
    Reinhold and Ashton as Rosewood and Taggart are one of the best double acts in any comedy, they are just so chalk and cheese.
    Foley's relationship with Insp. Todd is also fantastic and the scene in the locker room is one of my favourite in the entire series.
    Add to this a great 80's soundtrack and you have imo a dream movie that has entertainment written all over it.

Writing this has put me in the mood to watch it again.
    Thanks @Skyfall007silva
    :)
    The first one is great and the 2nd is a guilty pleasure of mine. Fun, watchable films with Murphy at his peak.

The less said about the 3rd movie, the better
    Saw each one on release as mentioned before. (1984, 1987, 1994)

First is the best without question. Can be strange to see Ronny Cox playing a good guy, as you usually associate him with villain elements. Robocop, Total Recall etc

I never found Murphy overly funny. Not a 'comedian' over endowed with humor, and in fact he can get a bit irritating after a while, but I couldn't see anyone else in the part as Axel Foley. The garbage third entry about counterfeit money and the amusement park are a big let down to the first two releases. I thought Berkoff was very good in the first release as the Maitland character
  • baronsamedi76 glad I could be of assistance.

The third one was ver distasteful, however I still get joy out of it besides it's faults. Number 1 and 2 are far more superior though. I really like Murphy as his comedy doesn't affect him as a character, if that makes sense. Normally an action packed comedy is all laughs however I still get thrills and excitement aswell as suspense, which is hard to find.
    3rd was a disaster sadly as i loved the first one! Can't remember much about the second?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    They are fine, nothing special. I like the first one, dig the flavour of the second one but part 4 had better be an appropriate apology film for the third one...
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote:
    They are fine, nothing special. I like the first one, dig the flavour of the second one but part 4 had better be an appropriate apology film for the third one...

There will be no part 4 but a TV Series instead.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Even worse. Can't they just leave things alone?
    Murphy toyed with the idea of another film for years but was never happy with it. so he thought a TV Series would be far better. I suppose you could say we'll have the lesser of the two evils.
    You can count on one hand the decent films made by Murphy throughout his career. The first BHC film was probably the pick of the bunch. The third film though was a travesty. An absolute abomination. Made even worse when you consider it was directed by John Landis, the man who gave us Trading Places and An Amercian Werewolf in Love.

Spot the reference in this clip from the great Phoenix Nights. It's at time mark 21.37

Samuel001 wrote:

It's no real surprise is it. Look at what they've done with Indiana Jones and Die Hard in recent years, but if it makes money for someone, what do they care, if it's one movie release too many ?

The last BHC film was in 1994 and now they've waited almost twenty years to bring out a fourth entry. Murphy is evidently too old for this now and you'd imagine Reinhold and Ashton will be back too. I got a feeling this could be a worse release - it looks as though it will go ahead - then the third one at the amusement park, although to beat that, they will have to go some. As with most movie franchises these days, it's simply another (unnecessary) release, one too many
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I like the amusement park one as James Bond does that too in Never Send Flowers (1993) by John Gardner where he visits Euro Disney to stop a plot to assassinate Princess Diana and her two sons, Princes William and Harry. I doubt we'll ever see this one filmed, though.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I find it interesting that there wasn't enough interest or whatever to greenlight a ten to fifteen episode television series, yet there was enough to spend leagues more money on a new film. Either way, I'm excited. I don't want to see a show about Axel Foley's son with Axel taking the back seat. Give me another film with Murphy, Reinhold, and Ashton.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I find it interesting that there wasn't enough interest or whatever to greenlight a ten to fifteen episode television series, yet there was enough to spend leagues more money on a new film. Either way, I'm excited. I don't want to see a show about Axel Foley's son with Axel taking the back seat. Give me another film with Murphy, Reinhold, and Ashton.

Agreed. Only do it with the old crew on board or don't do it at all!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I was curious as to how Reinhold and Ashton look these days. I remember seeing Ashton a few years ago in 'Gone Baby Gone' as a cop, and he doesn't look bad. Reinhold had a good bit of plastic surgery and looks like Santa Claus now, but it would still be great for him to return. He hasn't done much since the 80's because I hear he's terrible to work with on set, but if he was signed on to do the show, I don't see why he wouldn't return for the new film. They just need to do it relatively soon and not talk it up for another few years.
    The fourth film will be released on 25th March 2016.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The fourth film will be released on 25th March 2016.

I don't think this is a very good idea. Firstly because overly prolonged sequels have a pretty lousy track-record. And secondly I personally thought only the first one was any good to begin with. It sounds to me like Eddie Murphy is just desperate for a hit.
    The last release of the series was way back in '94 and may have an interest in seeing what they can come up with for this, but if it's as poor as the third, it won't be worth a viewing

As with Die Hard and Indiana Jones, they don't know when to stop with these damn movie series and the lead actors become less plausible with each release, but it's all about how much money someone can generate, as always. Murphy would appear evidently too old for the Axel Foley character now, but we'll at least see what they can put together. Not expecting much though
    I will see it