Comments

• 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited March 2021 Posts: 2,355
    Knight and Day (2010)
    Great fun. Highly underrated film.

I don't know why a lot of critics hate this film ? Crickey........ 8-}
    Mallory wrote: »
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit

I have never seen it before. And I loved it. The animation is near seamless with the live action. And this was done in 1988, before the major use of CGI. Just excellent.

As I said in another thread, saw this in the cinema, and the animation (by the late, great Richard Williams!) was superb and Bob Hoskins was marvellous in the lead,.....but I hated Roger Rabbit himself, really annoying character!! He almost ruined my enjoyment of the film!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DARK WATERS (Todd Haynes, 2019)

Not a great film, but the main story about the villainous DuPont organization is interesting and important.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Coming 2 America Ultimately a disappointing sequel once you quickly get past the nostalgia and cameos.
    The return of Bulldog Drummond - Ralph Richardson as Drummond in a story containing the return of his arch enemy Carl Petersen in which Drummond fights for peace and meanwhile trying to save his wife. A nice b/w pre-war movie with 73 minutes it is god clean fun.

Dealier than the male - Richard Johnnson as Bulldog Drummond in his first post EON adventure, Johnnson was Terrence Young first choice for James Bond and there is curiosly a similarity between Sean and Richard, weren't it for the fact that when Sean 007 walkes you see the predetor in 007. Johnnson has a lesser on screen charm but his Bulldog Drummond and the female assassins do deliver a decent spy-ish movie that is grimmer than one would expect from the spy-movies who were made to profit from the EON succes story. Not quite the Bulldog Drummond that was a source for Ian Fleming when creating his own spy but decent enough as an update to the sixties.
    THE MAN WHO KILLED HITLER AND THEN THE BIGFOOT (Robert Krzykowski, 2018)

Completely worthless and idiotic movie.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Coming 2 America Ultimately a disappointing sequel once you quickly get past the nostalgia and cameos.

It is a terribly disappointing film, indeed, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. My biggest issue with it is that Murphy is barely in the movie. He's almost always there, but rarely as an active character. Snipes is the only truly positive thing I take away from the film.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    DarthDimi wrote: »

It is a terribly disappointing film, indeed, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. My biggest issue with it is that Murphy is barely in the movie. He's almost always there, but rarely as an active character. Snipes is the only truly positive thing I take away from the film.

It was nice of a dull and disappointing legacy sequel that nobody really asked for to make a joke about dull and disappointing legacy sequels that nobody asked for; I admired the self-awareness of that. However, I would have much rathered a good film!

It was nice of a dull and disappointing legacy sequel that nobody really asked for to make a joke about dull and disappointing legacy sequels that nobody asked for; I admired the self-awareness of that. However, I would have much rathered a good film!

As much as I love the original film, I couldn't for the life of me imagine them doing another one, especially 30 something years later. That juice dried up ages ago. I can count a half dozen or so chuckles, but that was it. And let's just call it out: the film is too long. Far too long. If they had condensed things to 85 minutes, I might have been more inclined to review the film more favourably. Its worst sin, in my opinion, is boredom.

As much as I love the original film, I couldn't for the life of me imagine them doing another one, especially 30 something years later. That juice dried up ages ago. I can count a half dozen or so chuckles, but that was it. And let's just call it out: the film is too long. Far too long. If they had condensed things to 85 minutes, I might have been more inclined to review the film more favourably. Its worst sin, in my opinion, is boredom.

100% agreed. It dragged considerably. It felt far longer than the first film did (and I off the top of my head, I think it's actually shorter than it).
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

They focused a lot on his son and the scenes just were not funny, the biggest issue with the film was definately the lack of good jokes.
    Alien 4K 42 years later still the pinnacle of Sci Fi horror, amazing movie. The Thing is probably the closest film to this Masterpiece.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Alien 4K 42 years later still the pinnacle of Sci Fi horror, amazing movie. The Thing is probably the closest film to this Masterpiece.

Just rewatched this one a couple of days back, as well. Perfection, every time.
    DARK WATER (Hideo Nakata, 2002)

Decent enough, well structured. Nothing too special.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

The Music, the model work, the acting the symbolism to mention just a few aspects, its an incredible movie.

I know Covenant was a bit of a dud, its a shame that arc wont get completed if only to tie things up. I wonder what Disney will do with the Alien series if anything?

The Music, the model work, the acting the symbolism to mention just a few aspects, its an incredible movie.

I know Covenant was a bit of a dud, its a shame that arc wont get completed if only to tie things up. I wonder what Disney will do with the Alien series if anything?

Have they definitely decided to not proceed with a follow-up to Covenant?
    edited March 2021 Posts: 23,395

Not sure to be honest its been a while since anything has been mentioned, I hope Ridley does one last film, its probably unlikely.

Edited: Found this article from September 2020, interesting...
    https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2554293/aliens-ridley-scott-seemingly-changes-tune-on-future-sequels-connection-with-prometheus

Edited: Apparently there is a Alien TV show in the works...
    https://movieweb.com/alien-tv-show-covenant-sequel/
    Marvel comics has already taken over the Alien / Predator titles from Dark Horse.

Not sure to be honest its been a while since anything has been mentioned, I hope Ridley does one last film, its probably unlikely.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2554293/aliens-ridley-scott-seemingly-changes-tune-on-future-sequels-connection-with-prometheus

Very interesting. Prometheus and Covenant were both great.

Very interesting. Prometheus and Covenant were both great.

I think they both look exceptionally well. The image and sound quality on both are absolutely stunning. I'm also fond of the casting decisions they made for both films. Prometheus left me a tad cold story-wise though. Not a lot is going on and the expedition into the Engineers' ship takes up too much time and is dull overall.

I know this isn't the popular opinion, but I actually love Covenant as a simple but pretty dark and exciting horror film that stays much closer to the basic thrills of Alien than the other movies. I rank it third in my Alien list. Since my last marathon, my ranking (which can change yet again as time goes by) is something like this:
    1. Alien
    2. Aliens
    3. Covenant
    4. Alien³ (the Assembly Cut)
    5. Prometheus
    6. AvP Requiem
    7. AvP
    8. Resurrection
    edited March 2021 Posts: 23,395
    My concern with Alien films going forward is the rating under there new ownership, will the violence and horror be toned down.

Alien and Aliens are far above the other films. My third favourite based on the fact I watch it often is Prometheus, there is a lot of good in that film its visually stunning. The muddled script and very odd character decision making undermines it.

Thank you for these, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns :)

Thank you for these, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns :)

With all that's been going on I have not paid attention to the Alien franchise future, it was news to me :)
    Billion Dollar Brain: Overall I think it's the weakest of the first three Harry Palmer films, but it's got an excellent visual style, some memorable editing (brilliant cut as Palmer travels from London to Helsinki) and the satire presented through Ed Begley's insane General Midwinter is highly enjoyable. I love the fact
    his group of anti-communist agents in Europe is a complete joke, and Leo is just ripping him off. Terrific stuff!
    On the negative side, I feel that early on, after Palmer infiltrates the organization, there is a significant stretch of the film in which he doesn't have much agency, and it grows a little monotonous. I also wish we had got to know Leo's character a bit more in depth, as it seems to me his relationship with Palmer is meant to be the center of the film. Françoise Dorléac is superb, and it's always nice to see Oscar Homolka as Colonel Stok. I also enjoyed Richard Rodney Bennett's music score.

The Man Who Wouldn't Die: I rewatched this delightful mystery film starring Roger Moore —great as always— and Malcolm McDowell —the consummate ham, and so very very entertaining— respectively playing novelist Thomas Grace and insane criminal Bernard Drake, pitted against each other as Drake chooses to follow one of Grace's detective novels in real life, with dangerous consequences. Nancy Allen costars and is very good. The B&W sequences are lovely, as is the music score by David Shire; sinister in a playful and theatrical way. You might enjoy this, @Resurrection!
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Billion Dollar Brain: Overall I think it's the weakest of the first three Harry Palmer films, but it's got an excellent visual style, some memorable editing (brilliant cut as Palmer travels from London to Helsinki) and the satire presented through Ed Begley's insane General Midwinter is highly enjoyable. I love the fact
    his group of anti-communist agents in Europe is a complete joke, and Leo is just ripping him off. Terrific stuff!
    On the negative side, I feel that early on, after Palmer infiltrates the organization, there is a significant stretch of the film in which he doesn't have much agency, and it grows a little monotonous. I also wish we had got to know Leo's character a bit more in depth, as it seems to me his relationship with Palmer is meant to be the center of the film. Françoise Dorléac is superb, and it's always nice to see Oscar Homolka as Colonel Stok. I also enjoyed Richard Rodney Bennett's music score.

The Man Who Wouldn't Die: I rewatched this delightful mystery film starring Roger Moore —great as always— and Malcolm McDowell —the consummate ham, and so very very entertaining— respectively playing novelist Thomas Grace and insane criminal Bernard Drake, pitted against each other as Drake chooses to follow one of Grace's detective novels in real life, with dangerous consequences. Nancy Allen costars and is very good. The B&W sequences are lovely, as is the music score by David Shire; sinister in a playful and theatrical way. You might enjoy this, @Resurrection!

Michael Caine has been in a lot of films.
    It might be a record number ?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Marvel comics has already taken over the Alien / Predator titles from Dark Horse.

The upcoming Alien comic looks particularly good.

Indeed. I have even played Aliens vs. Predator (2010) in anticipation of the new comics. 😉
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Indeed. I have even played Aliens vs. Predator (2010) in anticipation of the new comics. 😉

No it's not "Alien", "Aliens" or "Predator" but only recently I saw AvP and thoroughly enjoyed it; I particularly liked the female lead.

The same concept with a stronger director could have been awesome.
    talos7 wrote: »

No it's not "Alien", "Aliens" or "Predator" but only recently I saw AvP and thoroughly enjoyed it; I particularly liked the female lead.

The same concept with a stronger director could have been awesome.

It's far better than the sequel, too. At least some creativity went into the set design, action scenes, and FX - even if the film (to me, at least) suffers from being a bit tame.
    THE CALL OF THE WILD (Chris Sanders, 2020)

I haven t seen any of the previous adaptations, but this was pretty good even if it didn t follow the original story. This was more family friendly.