Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Gerard wrote: »
    Well, there was a TV series with Tony Franciosa, but it had nothing in common with the books apart from the name. There, Matt Helm was your usual private eye, not a secret agent.

Looks interesting, I was trying to remember where I knew Tony Franciosa from, Fathom with Raquel Welch.
    ---
    71%2BQQH4PxHL._AC_SL1205_.jpg
    The great man's last film, I always feel a bit sad watching Steve Mcqueen in this one. Decent film Mcqueen is as good as ever despite ill health.

Its an odd little movie, The Hunter! Doesnt really work, and its not well directed!
    Just noticed in the poster that Peter Hyams co-wrote the screenplay! Didnt know that!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Going through a hard time at the moment, so I decided to plunge myself into a Van Damme marathon, beginning with...

HARDTARGETHR.jpg

The wet-look mulleted hero, the wide-eyed damsel, the evil villain and the sadistic henchman... I just flipping love this film.

Come to think of it, Henrikson and Vosloo could have played villain and henchman respectively in a Bond film. They're that good together.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    71%2BQQH4PxHL._AC_SL1205_.jpg
    The great man's last film, I always feel a bit sad watching Steve Mcqueen in this one. Decent film Mcqueen is as good as ever despite ill health.
    That long chase on the train is brilliance!

Going through a hard time at the moment, so I decided to plunge myself into a Van Damme marathon, beginning with...

HARDTARGETHR.jpg

The wet-look mulleted hero, the wide-eyed damsel, the evil villain and the sadistic henchman... I just flipping love this film.

Come to think of it, Henrikson and Vosloo could have played villain and henchman respectively in a Bond film. They're that good together.
    I love this one too. Great, imaginative action, really cool use of slow motion and sound. Henriksen and Vosloo are great together.

And that scene at the beginning with the thugs who try to steal the woman's purse, in which Van Damme "reveals" his leg from behind his trenchcoat...
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    That gunslinger reference, I never got that before, not being a fan of westerns, and having not seen many. I saw it referenced online, and then the next time I watched Hard Target, I understood it.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Conan The Barbarian (1982)

I have a strong affection for this film. It has a European feel to it i find. Probably down to Milius's unusual direction, editing and the locations chosen for the film which were mainly in Spain.

This evokes Howard in it's photography and sets but as an adaptation of Howards character it's not very close to the Conan from the books. Not that that detracts from the films quality. Conan The Destroyer was closer to Howard's writing and that film was utter tripe. As was the worthless remake.

I love the slow pace of this film, the way it has long passages without dialogue, letting the beautiful locations and music tell the story. And oh the music! IMO one of the best scores ever composed. Basil Poleduris captures the world of Conan so well that if the Conan books and Frazetta's paintings had soundtracks, this would be it! If anything the music elevates this film to a standard it wouldn't have reached otherwise.

Arnie is mostly fine in this. He certainly looks the part and has presence, but he doesn't move well in the action scenes. He's too cumbersome and awkward, which is probably why Sandhal Bergman gets the best action beats. She moves really well in the fights. Just as well she was a trained dancer long before she got this gig.

For me the music, locations and photography are the standouts and why i revisit this film a lot. The Bluray looks amazing.

I have a strong affection for this film. It has a European feel to it i find. Probably down to Milius's unusual direction, editing and the locations chosen for the film which were mainly in Spain.

This evokes Howard in it's photography and sets but as an adaptation of Howards character it's not very close to the Conan from the books. Not that that detracts from the films quality. Conan The Destroyer was closer to Howard's writing and that film was utter tripe. As was the worthless remake.

I love the slow pace of this film, the way it has long passages without dialogue, letting the beautiful locations and music tell the story. And oh the music! IMO one of the best scores ever composed. Basil Poleduris captures the world of Conan so well that if the Conan books and Frazetta's paintings had soundtracks, this would be it! If anything the music elevates this film to a standard it wouldn't have reached otherwise.

Arnie is mostly fine in this. He certainly looks the part and has presence, but he doesn't move well in the action scenes. He's too cumbersome and awkward, which is probably why Sandhal Bergman gets the best action beats. She moves really well in the fights. Just as well she was a trained dancer long before she got this gig.

For me the music, locations and photography are the standouts and why i revisit this film a lot. The Bluray looks amazing.

Totally concur Sir! Loved it when I saw it in the cinema. Love it even more now! Got the video, then dvd and now, as you state, the bluray looks fantastic! Apparently Oliver Stones orginal script was unfilmable as it would have cost a fortune!!
    Anyway Conan The Barbarian is superbly made, great set pieces, the opening raid, Conan on the wheel of pain, as a pit fighter, the encounter with the giant snake, James Earl Jones wonderful Thulsa Doom, Conans crucifixion, the battle at the orgy and a thrilling final showdown all to the pulse pounding score by Basil Poledouris! Epic stuff!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Totally concur Sir! Loved it when I saw it in the cinema. Love it even more now! Got the video, then dvd and now, as you state, the bluray looks fantastic! Apparently Oliver Stones orginal script was unfilmable as it would have cost a fortune!!
    Anyway Conan The Barbarian is superbly made, great set pieces, the opening raid, Conan on the wheel of pain, as a pit fighter, the encounter with the giant snake, James Earl Jones wonderful Thulsa Doom, Conans crucifixion, the battle at the orgy and a thrilling final showdown all to the pulse pounding score by Basil Poledouris! Epic stuff!

Yeah i too saw it at the cinema when it came out all those years ago! It had the old AA certificate which was basically a '15'

It got a lot of slagging off from reviewers when released but i liked it straight away.

Like yourself @Mathis1 i have had this film on many formats and editions. But Blade Runner is the winner in that department!

Yeah i too saw it at the cinema when it came out all those years ago! It had the old AA certificate which was basically a '15'

It got a lot of slagging off from reviewers when released but i liked it straight away.

Like yourself @Mathis1 i have had this film on many formats and editions. But Blade Runner is the winner in that department!

Yes, a lot of the reviews were unkind, mainly because of Arnie (i remember one critic saying Arnie does most of his acting "with the whites of his eyes!") I loved the fact director John Milius didnt go comic booky and took it more seriously.
    Milius was a great director, (and script doctor, Sean Connery insisting he was brought in for The Hunt for Red October polish)
    The setting by Ron Cobb and photography of Duke Callaghan are excellent, and though it is slow, it has really thrilling set pieces, and was a fitting adaption of the character, unlike the dire sequel and even more dire remake!

Yes, a lot of the reviews were unkind, mainly because of Arnie (i remember one critic saying Arnie does most of his acting "with the whites of his eyes!") I loved the fact director John Milius didnt go comic booky and took it more seriously.
    Milius was a great director, (and script doctor, Sean Connery insisting he was brought in for The Hunt for Red October polish)
    The setting by Ron Cobb and photography of Duke Callaghan are excellent, and though it is slow, it has really thrilling set pieces, and was a fitting adaption of the character, unlike the dire sequel and even more dire remake!

My thoughts exactly. Shame Milius never got to do his 'King Conan' follow up.

Not sure if you've seen Milius's film Dillinger

If not then i highly recommend it. (I'm pretty sure you have though!)

My thoughts exactly. Shame Milius never got to do his 'King Conan' follow up.

Not sure if you've seen Milius's film Dillinger

If not then i highly recommend it. (I'm pretty sure you have though!)

Yes, i have seen Dillinger. Excellent film. The Wind and the Lion, Big Wednesday, and his screenplays for Jeremiah Johnson and Magnum Force!
    It is a shame he never got to make King Conan!
    Its actually an awful shame what happened to John Milius!
    Asterix and gauls 4/6 , first animated A movie afaik......its okay i guess

Two Women 4.5/6 (TV movie with Loren playing once again Cesira)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited May 2020 Posts: 45,489
    maxresdefault.jpg
    (2019)

Loved the first two, so the premise for this looked really promising. Well, huge disappointment. Glad I didn t buy it, as I originally planned to do. Unbreakable and Split are among Shyamalan s strongest. This is one of his weakest.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    THE HUSTLER

EB20020623REVIEWS08206230301AR.jpg

A truly impressive film starring Paul Newman, Piper Laurie, George C. Scott and Jackie Gleason. Scorcese's THE COLOR OF MONEY is a sequel to this one.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    maxresdefault.jpg
    (2019)

Loved the first two, so the premise for this looked really promising. Well, huge disappointment. Glad I didn t buy it, as I originally planned to do. Unbreakable and Split are among Shyamalan s strongest. This is one of his weakest.

Yes it is, but I still think there are some pretty good ideas in there that could have been better nurtured. The twist needed a greater deal more set up.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    c2a8f72feb5f4e895e24ae91b914e73e.jpg
    Bullitt 1968, brilliant genre defining film, incredibly well directed and set the tone for many 70's classics that would follow. Phenomenal soundtrack and Mcqueen gives a masterclass in less is more, truly a great actor. I have had this film on DVD for decades though just recently got it on HD and it looks fantastic, this film deserves a 4K restoration.
    Bullitt 1968, brilliant genre defining film, incredibly well directed and set the tone for many 70's classics that would follow. Phenomenal soundtrack and Mcqueen gives a masterclass in less is more, truly a great actor. I have had this film on DVD for decades though just recently got it on HD and it looks fantastic, this film deserves a 4K restoration.

Yes, got the bluray recently. Wonderful thriller.
    Love that cool score! McQueen and Vaughan, great face off. Jackie Bisset gorgeous, Peter Yates taut direction.
    And the legendary Bill Hickman as the wheelman, in the famous car chase.(he also did my other favourite car set piece in The French Connection) Love that double take of his when he spots Bullitt in the rear view mirror!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2020 Posts: 23,375

Yes, got the bluray recently. Wonderful thriller.
    Love that cool score! McQueen and Vaughan, great face off. Jackie Bisset gorgeous, Peter Yates taut direction.
    And the legendary Bill Hickman as the wheelman, in the famous car chase.(he also did my other favourite car set piece in The French Connection) Love that double take of his when he spots Bullitt in the rear view mirror!

Bill Hickman is brilliant, Bullitt and The French Connection two of the very best chase sequences so meticulously planned out. Watching Bullitt earlier the chase scene again was spine tingling it's incredible cinema.

Likewise, one of my favourite shots is when Frank has turned the tables on Ice Pick Mike and cohort and they see the Mustang emerge in the rear view mirror, it's an awesome moment.

The Enterprise sneaking up behind the Reliant is a similar epic moment when fighting in the Mutara Nebula in Wrath of Khan.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 17,293
    Bullitt is one of my all-time favourite films (top six for sure), but I have yet to upgrade my two-disc special edition DVD of the film. How much of an upgrade is the blu-ray, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns?

If this film ever gets a 4K restoration, I'll be fully on board with 4K. As of now, it's a bit too pricy to upgrade to 4K for me.
    Bullitt is one of my all-time favourite films (top six for sure), but I have yet to upgrade my two-disc special edition DVD of the film. How much of an upgrade is the blu-ray, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns?

If this film ever gets a 4K restoration, I'll be fully on board with 4K. As of now, it's a bit too pricy to upgrade to 4K for me.

My DVD is the silver card box...
    6304698526.jpg
    There is a noticeable difference in the majority of the film, at times the film looks crystal clear on Bluray.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

I have the two-disc special edition DVD.

Along with “The Great Escape”, “Bullitt” is the perfect “guy” movie and I love almost everything about it (Jacqueline Bisset’s “Kathy” role is a little underwritten but I’ll always have a soft spot for “Miss Goodthighs!”). Interestingly - other than the famous car chase, of course - my favorite scene is the “Taylor street” sequence where Bullitt breaks open the newspaper vending machine and goes into the corner grocery store where he “stacks” the frozen TV dinners. As someone that remembers the old Swanson “aluminum tray” dinners, that scene always makes me laugh at loud.

Another aspect of the movie that was striking to this eight-year-old kid (when I first saw it back in 1969) was the vocabulary used by Robert Vaughn’s “Chalmers” character. “Cheap- Sensationalism”, “Personal aggrandizement”,….just wow!

BTW: If this movie had been made in 1998, instead of 1968, I’m sure the studio would have demanded a sequel. I’m also surprised that it hasn’t been remade by Will Smith.

6304698526.jpg
    There is a noticeable difference in the majority of the film, at times the film looks crystal clear on Bluray.

I imagine my two-disc edition has the same image quality/source as the silver card box edition you have. I would like to watch Bullitt on blu-ray if the image quality is noticeably better. A digital download will probably be the same quality as the blu-ray too.
    Dwayne wrote: »

I have the two-disc special edition DVD.

Along with “The Great Escape”, “Bullitt” is the perfect “guy” movie and I love almost everything about it (Jacqueline Bisset’s “Kathy” role is a little underwritten but I’ll always have a soft spot for “Miss Goodthighs!”). Interestingly - other than the famous car chase, of course - my favorite scene is the “Taylor street” sequence where Bullitt breaks open the newspaper vending machine and goes into the corner grocery store where he “stacks” the frozen TV dinners. As someone that remembers the old Swanson “aluminum tray” dinners, that scene always makes me laugh at loud.

Another aspect of the movie that was striking to this eight-year-old kid (when I first saw it back in 1969) was the vocabulary used by Robert Vaughn’s “Chalmers” character. “Cheap- Sensationalism”, “Personal aggrandizement”,….just wow!

BTW: If this movie had been made in 1998, instead of 1968, I’m sure the studio would have demanded a sequel. I’m also surprised that it hasn’t been remade by Will Smith.

I understand what you mean about Bisset's character, though the film is so tightly directed it happens and there is very little exposition which is an aspect of the film I like. Saying that the scene when Bisset see's the dead woman is so well executed, her reaction, Frank acting as a shield to block her view is genius and the conversation they have after gives dimension to there relationship.

This like many classics should not be remade, though admittedly Payback was a excellent remake of Point Blank, which is a very rare example of two films being superb from same source material.

6304698526.jpg

I imagine my two-disc edition has the same image quality/source as the silver card box edition you have. I would like to watch Bullitt on blu-ray if the image quality is noticeably better. A digital download will probably be the same quality as the blu-ray too.

You DVD version maybe from the same remaster as the Bluray so its probably better than my DVD. Though Bluray will always be better, most of the time lol
    A remake of Bullitt would be unthinkable, though it wouldnt stop Hollywood. Is Mel Gibsons remake of The Wild Bunch still going ahead?
    A remake of Bullitt would be unthinkable, though it wouldnt stop Hollywood. Is Mel Gibsons remake of The Wild Bunch still going ahead?

Not heard anything, though that film was all about Peckinpah. Hollywood is clueless an IP does not make a film great all the elements that went into creating a movie makes it great.
    MAD MAX 2 (1981)
    Aka The Road Warrior. Loved Fury Road, but this is without a doubt THE best Max movie. Put it on late last night, the bluray looks really good, apart from a few night time scenes. Sharp direction from George Miller (wish he did more movies in his career!) and excellent editing in those furious action sequences and a nice line in humour. The final 20 minute tanker chase is amazing. An absolute action classic!

6304698526.jpg

You DVD version maybe from the same remaster as the Bluray so its probably better than my DVD. Though Bluray will always be better, most of the time lol

Might have to get the blu-ray (or a digital download) then!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited May 2020 Posts: 45,489
    SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK (David O. Russell, 2012)

Not bad. The streaming company lists it as a comedy. What the Heller? People who categorize films often do so based on nothing but guesswork. In other words, they use a M.O. that is widespread.

silver-linings-playbook.jpg
    DEATH HUNT (1981)
    Sort of a precursor to First Blood, but based on a true story! Peter Hunt directs two legends, Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin. Bronson plays trapper Albert Johnson, who gets into a skirmish with locals over a fighting dog, and kills one of them. Marvin is Sgt Millen, who reluctantly forms a posse to pursue him! Hunt stages some nice action scenes, particularly towards the end, the two leads, though only sharing one scene together, are, as always, excellent! Marvin gets to do the talking and Bronson gets lots of close ups of that craggy face of his!
    Enjoyable film. Worth a look!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK (David O. Russell, 2012)

Not bad. The streaming company lists it as a comedy. What the Heller? People who categorize films often do so based on nothing but guesswork. In other words, they use a M.O. that is widespread.

silver-linings-playbook.jpg

I smirked once or twice, but this, indeed, is not a comedy.