Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Univex wrote: »
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Felt like watching a classic Italian film featuring Marcello Mastroianni, you know sometimes one must, and chose one I hadn't seen before: Divorzio all'italiana (or DIVORCE ITALIAN STYLE). Winner of an Academy Award for its writing, rather unusual for a foreign language film, it is a masterful tragedy-comedy in which the above mentioned Mastroianni proves his range as an actor in a fairly atypical role. Surely one of the finest actors ever, now that I'm on it.

One of my top 5 actors of all time. Have you seen him in The Sica's Ieri Oggi Domani? A brilliant actor that worked with brilliant director in a superb time and place to be an actor.

I'm afraid to admit I haven't, but it's on my watchlist. Will come back to you when I finally get around it. Thanks for the advice!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The Rise of Skywalker
    Babu-Frik-Zorii.png
    Baboo Frik cracks me up.

OK the Sequel trilogy is a mess, though I really enjoy TROS, it's by far the most entertaining of the sequels. There are quite a few random crazy moments that would fit well in a Lucas SW movie.
    ZULU (1964)
    Cy Endfields classic movie depicting the Battle of Rorkes Drift, where just 100 British soldiers fought 4000 Zulu warriors! Stellar cast of Stanley Baker, Michael Caine, Jack Hawkins and even minor characters like James Booth and Nigel Green, all given their moment to shine. Looks glorious in bluray, with Endfield orchestrating blistering action scenes, scored by The Maestro John Barry!
    Great movie!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    THE INCREDIBLE BURT WONDERSTONE (Don Scardino, 2013)
    1526908705.jpg?preset=ProductPage
    Very entertaining.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 1,639
    Concrete Jungle 1/6 , lousy script (wth was it even about ??) , very poor editing , poor fight scenes

What a waste of Michael Chan and Lieh
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited April 2020 Posts: 6,724
    @Dragonpol

NICK OF TIME. This is some real edge-of-your-seat stuff. One gets easily invested in the setup, thinking "what the hell would I do in his place?" I loved all the surprises regarding the people involved in the conspiracy, whom Johnny Depp would unknowingly ask for help in getting out of the desperate situation. Depp is very good, relatable and compelling. Walken provides eccentric fun; he plays the role as if he's done these kinds of shady things a million times before, and is now very relaxed and confident in his work. Charles S. Dutton and Roma Maffia also turn in lively performances. The music score and cinematography (very modern-looking at the time, I'm sure, with the washed out loook) are also enjoyable.

This is the third John Badham-directed film I've seen after Dracula, WarGames and The Hard Way. The first one was a decent watch and Frank Langella was great, but I found I didn't really connect emotionally with the film (incidentally, I watched the second version with the very muted colors). I loved the other two films.
    Rewatched the Bourne films, except for Jason Bourne because they didn't have it on Netflix/I don't own it. Really love the first 3, some of my favourite action movies ever. It was actually the first time I watched the Bourne Legacy, and it felt like it didn't earn it's title, and would have been better to be a standalone film instead of trying to reference Jason Bourne every 5 minutes. Here's my ranking:
    1. The Bourne Supremacy 10/10
    2. The Bourne Ultimatum 10/10
    3. The Bourne Identity 9/10
    4. Jason Bourne 7/10
    5. The Bourne Legacy 5/10
    mattjoes wrote: »
    @Dragonpol

NICK OF TIME. This is some real edge-of-your-seat stuff. One gets easily invested in the setup, thinking "what the hell would I do in his place?" I loved all the surprises regarding the people involved in the conspiracy, whom Johnny Depp would unknowingly ask for help in getting out of the desperate situation. Depp is very good, relatable and compelling. Walken provides eccentric fun; he plays the role as if he's done these kinds of shady things a million times before, and is now very relaxed and confident in his work. Charles S. Dutton and Roma Maffia also turn in lively performances. The music score and cinematography (very modern-looking at the time, I'm sure, with the washed out loook) are also enjoyable.

This is the third John Badham-directed film I've seen after Dracula, WarGames and The Hard Way. The first one was a decent watch and Frank Langella was great, but I found I didn't really connect emotionally with the film (incidentally, I watched the second version with the very muted colors). I loved the other two films.

You should watch Blue Thunder, also directed by John Badham! Great action thriller with the ever watchable Roy Scheider!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    @Dragonpol

You should watch Blue Thunder, also directed by John Badham! Great action thriller with the ever watchable Roy Scheider!

I will watch that at some point!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I just finished CHERNOBYL.

I have always been fascinated by anything going on behind the Iron Curtain and the Chernobyl Nuclear Disaster is no exception.

I was impressed with how well they created the right atmosphere with excellent cinematography, accurate production design and a haunting music score.

A fascinating watch, and one with a valuable lesson to everyone one of us. There will unfortunately always be those who rather ignore the truth, or look for another less depressing one, just because it is not convenient to them and therefore bring disaster upon those around them. Undeniably, I saw parallels with the times we live in right now.

Recommended. Highly recommended.

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    Rewatched the Bourne films, except for Jason Bourne because they didn't have it on Netflix/I don't own it. Really love the first 3, some of my favourite action movies ever. It was actually the first time I watched the Bourne Legacy, and it felt like it didn't earn it's title, and would have been better to be a standalone film instead of trying to reference Jason Bourne every 5 minutes. Here's my ranking:
    4. Jason Bourne 7/10

Yeah i love the Bourne series although i missed out Legacy.

My favourite is Ultimatum. The pace is electric, the action riveting and it's got a nice tight plot. The sequence at Waterloo station is action directing at its finest!

This is the direction i wanted the Craig films to go, but alas Q and his bloody gadgets and all the other baggage eventually reared its ugly head!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Rewatching the Dark Knight trilogy, when it occurred to me that the bat Villains were well prepared for Coronavirus...
    4. Jason Bourne 7/10

My favourite is Ultimatum. The pace is electric, the action riveting and it's got a nice tight plot. The sequence at Waterloo station is action directing at its finest!

This is the direction i wanted the Craig films to go, but alas Q and his bloody gadgets and all the other baggage eventually reared its ugly head!

Agree again with you! The action throughout is excellent, but that Waterloo station set piece is a cracker!
    4. Jason Bourne 7/10

Agree again with you! The action throughout is excellent, but that Waterloo station set piece is a cracker!

Yep, it's a shame Paul Greengrass was never up for directing a Bond film. The guy knows how to put suspense, drama and action on screen without all the pretensions.
    4. Jason Bourne 7/10

Yep, it's a shame Paul Greengrass was never up for directing a Bond film. The guy knows how to put suspense, drama and action on screen without all the pretensions.

I'm not so sure! When Greengrass stepped out of Bourne his other action movies like Captain phillips and Green Zone were only ok! And it was a mistake for him to return with Jason Bourne, which had a sameness about it!
    4. Jason Bourne 7/10

I'm not so sure! When Greengrass stepped out of Bourne his other action movies like Captain phillips and Green Zone were only ok! And it was a mistake for him to return with Jason Bourne, which had a sameness about it!

I love Green Zone! It has a wonderful momentum to it.

Captain Phillips was incredibly well filmed but i'm not a big fan of 'true story' movies. Although his United 93 was a very powerful film.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    maxresdefault.jpg
    Great fun, working my way through all the films.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Talk about symbolism!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    ESCAPE FROM PRETORIA

Wow, I'm still trembling with tension. Great prison break film!
    Talk about symbolism!

The Silencers is very subtle...

Revisiting the film was fun, DM must be drinking in every other scene. Its unlikely he remembered much about the film. I think his biggest challenge was acting sobre.
    In fact, Dean Martin didn't drink alcohol, either in his movies or in his concerts. It was part of the persona he had built over the years, but most of the time, what was in those glasses and bottles was cold tea.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 17,279
    Just finished watching Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (finally!), and I had a great time watching it, even though it was a bit too lengthy. I don't know how to describe it; it felt like watching a very "unrestrained" film where Tarantino just did whatever he wanted – and that's what I liked about it.

Also, it gets a big plus from me for including music from Thunderball in the end credits!
    JOJO RABBIT

ddqb9rn-73e85881-84bb-4ef8-9464-1a395f00a737.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzVkNjA4MDkzLTI1MGYtNDAzOS05NjdmLWVhOGIzYTM2YzU2ZlwvZGRxYjlybi03M2U4NTg4MS04NGJiLTRlZjgtOTQ2NC0xYTM5NWYwMGE3MzcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.YbVHK5vN86RUMAdEcch6lH6qMCn4iCjaRQhrX4o8lks

Excellent movie. Simply excellent.

ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ

db55isl-3ef0f5be-bda7-4f81-824a-55a956218ab1.png

Delicious film.
    Star Trek 5 - the one in which Spocks halfbrother is on the search for God and finds something different, the real story lies within acts of the friendship of the main cast. Not the best of the series but a worthy TOS installment.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Star Trek 5 - the one in which Spocks halfbrother is on the search for God and finds something different, the real story lies within acts of the friendship of the main cast. Not the best of the series but a worthy TOS installment.

"Why . Does . God . Need . . A . Space ship?"

stv.jpg
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited April 2020 Posts: 2,625
    maxresdefault.jpg

Those Matt Helm movies are so cheesy that mice will come for miles around to watch! That said they are a guilty pleasure and I actually play my DVD box set with some frequency. And while I’ve never read them, I’m led to believe that the Donald Hamilton books were a mile away from the light hearted nature of the movies. However, other than a "serious" made for TV movie done in the 1970's, nothing ever came of it.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    maxresdefault.jpg

Those Matt Helm movies are so cheesy that mice will come for miles around to watch! That said they are a guilty pleasure and I actually play my DVD box set with some frequency. And while I’ve never read them, I’m led to believe that the Donald Hamilton books were a mile away from the light hearted nature of the movies. However, other than a "serious" made for TV movie done in the 1970's, nothing ever came of it.

I watched the Helm films as a kid along with Bulldog Drummond and the Flint films and the various European James Bond rippoffs. I have a fondness for Spy Capers even the daft ones, the Helm films never get dull.

I had no idea there was a later Helm TV movie, I will have to look out for it.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 5,808
    Well, there was a TV series with Tony Franciosa, but it had nothing in common with the books apart from the name. There, Matt Helm was your usual private eye, not a secret agent.

Gerard wrote: »
    Well, there was a TV series with Tony Franciosa, but it had nothing in common with the books apart from the name. There, Matt Helm was your usual private eye, not a secret agent.

Looks interesting, I was trying to remember where I knew Tony Franciosa from, Fathom with Raquel Welch.
    ---
    71%2BQQH4PxHL._AC_SL1205_.jpg
    The great man's last film, I always feel a bit sad watching Steve Mcqueen in this one. Decent film Mcqueen is as good as ever despite ill health.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    SaintMark wrote: »

"Why . Does . God . Need . . A . Space ship?"

stv.jpg

An absolute great question and true to the character of James T. Kirk who always lived his life without anybody telling him what to believe.

Generations - In which Kirk dies and the Enterprise D crashes and Star Trek Next Gen gets rebooted for the cinema, this movie will be followed by the best Next Gen movie "First contact", this one is a bit meh and I am underwhelmed by the whole movie, but Kirk was right he died alone.