Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• 2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I finished watching Midsommar (2019) a few hours ago, and it is still getting under my skin. Ari Aster made a beautiful film with colour and perfect framing of characters, haunting imagery, and proves that good horror can also be in daylight. Florence Pugh is fantastic and it might be my favourite performance from the whole of last year. Similar to Hereditary this film highlights with how we deal with grief and who and how we seek solace from grief as well as other themes. I also enjoyed Hereditary, but I think I may prefer Midsommar and it is definitely in my top 10 movies of 2019, maybe even top 5.

I agree with everything, except on one point: I prefer Hereditary to Midsommar. Both are amongst my favorite horror films of the past decade.
    I guess it comes down to I would rather watch Midsommar again rather than Hereditary. I've only seen Hereditary the one time, and I remember loving most of the movie until probably the final 20 minutes. Even when Midsommar gets weird I was still able to track with it. I should probably watch Hereditary again at some point, as I feel it will get better with a second viewing. And yes, alongside Jordan Peele, I think Ari Aster with both Hereditary and Midsommar is making some of the finest horror of the decade.
    White Christmas : Still a classic after all these years, with a great quartet of world class entertainers in their prime. Especially Vera-Ellen. Proof here :

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I finished watching Midsommar (2019) a few hours ago, and it is still getting under my skin. Ari Aster made a beautiful film with colour and perfect framing of characters, haunting imagery, and proves that good horror can also be in daylight. Florence Pugh is fantastic and it might be my favourite performance from the whole of last year. Similar to Hereditary this film highlights with how we deal with grief and who and how we seek solace from grief as well as other themes. I also enjoyed Hereditary, but I think I may prefer Midsommar and it is definitely in my top 10 movies of 2019, maybe even top 5.

I agree with everything, except on one point: I prefer Hereditary to Midsommar. Both are amongst my favorite horror films of the past decade.
    I guess it comes down to I would rather watch Midsommar again rather than Hereditary. I've only seen Hereditary the one time, and I remember loving most of the movie until probably the final 20 minutes. Even when Midsommar gets weird I was still able to track with it. I should probably watch Hereditary again at some point, as I feel it will get better with a second viewing. And yes, alongside Jordan Peele, I think Ari Aster with both Hereditary and Midsommar is making some of the finest horror of the decade.

Hereditary is definitely even better the second time you see it.

Same with Midsommar which although I loved it on first viewing I liked it even more second time.

My favourite film of last year.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Midsommar is a terrific film I almost daren't call "beautiful" and yet, that's how I feel about it.
    Spider-Man (2002). I know Spider-Man 2 and Into the Spiderverse are the most loved films, and though they are great, Raimi’s first is still my personal favorite. Willem Dafoe’s hammy Green Goblin steals the show, but everything else is also entertaining.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    CAPTAIN MARVEL (Anna Bode, Ryan Fleck 2019)
    This is the worst Marvel movie I have ever seen. Only the main title sequence at the end was any good.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 8,695
    Morituri (1965)

91kr3ObZzzL._SL1500_.jpg

Excellent, but not entirely coherent war movie by Swiss director Bernhard Wicki about a "blockade-breaking" German freighter sailing from Tokyo to carry 7,000 tons of natural rubber to Bordeaux during WW II. Yul Brynner is playing the captain of the vessel, who is more or less blackmailed by his superior officers to command the vessel, while Marlon Brando is playing a German that had tried to escape the war by moving to India and being blackmailed himself by the Brits (in this case Trevor Howard) to get on board in the guise of an SS official and try to secure the cargo for the Allies. Initially, I do not find it entirely clear how that results in the Brando character actually getting on board, posing as that SS officer so simply, but ultimately that leads to him being discovered anyway.

The crew, from the beginning, is composed of convicted criminals, including political ones, indicating that the Nazis were aware that it was basically a suicide mission. They (the convicts, not the Nazis) ultimately work together with the Brando character, especially after the ship takes over shipwrecked persons from a Japanese submarine, who include the only female character in the movie, a Jewish woman named Esther Levy (Janet Margolin).

At the end, it seems like nobody is alive except Brando and Brynner on board, and it is up to the viewer to speculate how it will turn out.

This is one of the rare movies filmed in English (I suppose) that my wife and I deliberately watched in its German-dubbed version. But not only are the characters that Brando and Brynner played meant to be German, but almost the entire story takes place on that German freighter and there were many excellent German actors involved (if only second-tier, on Hollywood terms) , so we thought it was the lesser evil. Based on that experience, highly recommended.
    Donnie Darko (2001), theatrical and director’s cuts. I had seen the theatrical one a few times before and never the director’s cut before. There were a few added moments I liked in the director’s cut, but my overall preference is still definitely the theatrical one. I really enjoy coming back to this movie!
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    Birds Of Prey (And The Fantabulous Emancipation Of One Harley Quinn).

Enjoyable enough I suppose.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    JØRGEN+ANNE=SANT (Anne Sewitsky, 2011)

Romantic drama with and for kids. I loved it.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Happy Death Day 2U Not as good as the first film, though they have tried to mix it up and expand on the original idea. The female lead Jessica Rothe is great, a funny and talented actress.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    peter wrote: »
    Uncut Gems-- very difficult film to watch about addiction. Addiction to gambling and the adrenalin and danger it brings. It's a chaotic subject, shot chaotically. Brilliant film, and yes, The Sandman, Adam Sandler, does get lost in his greasy portrayal of Howard Ratner. It will keep your attention the same way a train-wreck would keep your attention.

I'll echo your thoughts on that my friend.

Sandler is extraordinary but I can't see myself returning to this again for sometime. It feels like a horror film and a claustrophobic air to it.

Definitely worth a view but far from an easy watch.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 17,291
    Night of the Big Heat (1967)
    Silly yet entertaining is the best way to describe this film. Features Christopher Lee, Patrick Allen and Peter Cushing.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Uncut Gems-- very difficult film to watch about addiction. Addiction to gambling and the adrenalin and danger it brings. It's a chaotic subject, shot chaotically. Brilliant film, and yes, The Sandman, Adam Sandler, does get lost in his greasy portrayal of Howard Ratner. It will keep your attention the same way a train-wreck would keep your attention.

Sandler is extraordinary but I can't see myself returning to this again for sometime. It feels like a horror film and a claustrophobic air to it.

Agree, it was exhausting to watch.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Shardlake wrote: »

Agree, it was exhausting to watch.

Absolutely. Was so glad to catch it on the big screen over here before it ended up on Netflix. A real experience.

Sandler is outstanding in it, managing to squeeze every ounce of entertainment and sympathy from an utterly loathesome character.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    MV5BNTAxZWM2OTgtOTQzOC00ZTI5LTgyYjktZTRhYWM4YWQxNWI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjMwNDgzNjc@._V1_.jpg
    UK version, I have still not seen the Extended cut. This film gets an emotional reaction from me, sad to say not many films do these days. This film pulls no punches.
    EG-1418_po-reg-medium_orig.jpg
    Great movie, second best film in the series IMO.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited February 2020 Posts: 7,980

I agree 100% ; for me, in hindsight, this should have been the last. It’s classic Rambo and he finally makes it home.
    I was profoundly disappointed in Last Blood ; it was a generic action, rescue/ revenge flick and the character was so poorly written that he didn’t resemble John Rambo.
    talos7 wrote: »

I agree 100% ; for me, in hindsight, this should have been the last. It’s classic Rambo and he finally makes it home.
    I was profoundly disappointed in Last Blood ; it was a generic action, rescue/ revenge flick and the character was so poorly written that he didn’t resemble John Rambo.

Rambo V was not great though certain scenes worked for me which got me invested. The fourth film is far superior and would have been a fitting end I agree.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited February 2020 Posts: 8,034
    BLACK AND BLUE

Ms. Harris is pretty damn good in this, an enjoyable chase thriller that isn't quite as clever as it thinks it is (and has a fairly thin plot), but its strong pace and some solid action go a long way to making it worthwhile.

NaomieHarrisBlackandBlue-1.jpg
    Outland (1981)

I do really enjoy watching this film a lot. Very underrated IMO.

Yes it's design is derivative of Alien and it's basically a western in space.

But it's got a smart script and a really good cast. Connery is his usual excellent self as the gruff Marshall O'Neill, and he has able support from Frances Sternhagen and Peter Boyle.

Connery and Sternhagen have great chemistry in their scenes with some nice banter. Connery also shares some tense scenes with the ever reliable Boyle, who plays the Moon's slimy administrator.

Also a highlight is Jerry Goldsmith's moody score.
    Outland (1981)

But it's got a smart script and a really good cast. Connery is his usual excellent self as the gruff Marshall O'Neill, and he has able support from Frances Sternhagen and Peter Boyle.

Connery and Sternhagen have great chemistry in their scenes with some nice banter. Connery also shares some tense scenes with the ever reliable Boyle, who plays the Moon's slimy administrator.

Yes, essentially its High Noon...in space! But it's still enjoyable! Connery is great, and is still cool! Peter Boyle is a great villain, and Peter Hyams does a good job with the action.
    I cant remember whether it was Connery or Moore (who was making FYEO at the same time) claiming they had lunch together offset, since both movies were made at Pinewood!!
    I really find Outland one of the better movies Connery did later in his life and it is an often overlooked little Scifi gem of a movie.
    Zorin : Bowie , Jagger , Hauer , Sting......wouldve been interesting to have seen these do screen tests

Lone Wolf McQuade 4/6 , Norris as TX Ranger......okay but Delta Force is much much better
    Western in space ? (sounds like Bravestarr ;)
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Outland (1981)

Yes, essentially its High Noon...in space! But it's still enjoyable! Connery is great, and is still cool! Peter Boyle is a great villain, and Peter Hyams does a good job with the action.
    I cant remember whether it was Connery or Moore (who was making FYEO at the same time) claiming they had lunch together offset, since both movies were made at Pinewood!!

Yes, i think it was labled 'High Moon' by reviewers at the time!
    It certainly is and that is high praise since High Noon is a bloody good movie as well.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    It certainly is and that is high praise since High Noon is a bloody good movie as well.

Damn right! High Noon is a great film.

There was also another space film out around the time that remade a western. Battle Beyond The Stars which remade the Magnificent Seven (which itself was a remake of Seven Samurai)

It was a bit more low brow than Outland and a lot cheaper. But it's a fun film overall. Has a great score by James Horner.

Worth a look if you haven't seen it, even if it's just to see Sybil Danning in her Valkyrie outfit!

I have seen both but only bought Outland on bluray because I like watching Connery more than Sybil Danning in her Valkyrie oufit. BBtS was easily more forgetable for me.