Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Knives Out - It was a funny and nice genre movie in which Craigs accent was annoy after a while and is not add anything anymore, but it must have been nice to be in a decent car-chase again something he did not have since QoB, and on a much smaller budget. A really enjoyable movie with a cast clearly having fun. Not percee a movie one visits the cinema for, it would be a lovely Tv movie.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    HEAVY METAL (Gerald Potterton,1981)

Used to be a regular reader of the American version on the magazine (the original is French Metal Hurlant), so great to finally get to see this. The follow-up Heavy Metal 2000 was pretty bad.

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Used to be a regular reader of the American version on the magazine (the original is French Metal Hurlant), so great to finally get to see this. The follow-up Heavy Metal 2000 was pretty bad.

That's a cool film and i used to love the magazine!

I always wanted a film based on the Ranxerox series in Heavy Metal...
    ranx.jpg
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 17,293
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Knives Out - It was a funny and nice genre movie in which Craigs accent was annoy after a while and is not add anything anymore, but it must have been nice to be in a decent car-chase again something he did not have since QoB, and on a much smaller budget. A really enjoyable movie with a cast clearly having fun. Not percee a movie one visits the cinema for, it would be a lovely Tv movie.
    I will be watching Knives Out eventually, but only when it's available on DVD/Blu-ray/digital download. I don't know if it will be played in cinemas over here.

ranx.jpg

If you like Rank Xerox, check out this cover on Frank Zappa s album by Liberatore.
    667_86928234.jpg
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    Knives Out

Terrific entertainment. Enjoyed every minute. A great afternoon at the cinema. My kid loved it too, says it's her new favourite film!
    Lovely wintery walk home too!
    I will be watching Knives Out eventually, but only when it's available on DVD/Blu-ray/digital download. I don't know if it will be played in cinemas over here.

I think it works perfectly well on the small screen, it is not necessarily a movie that is best enjoyed on the big screen

I think it works perfectly well on the small screen, it is not necessarily a movie that is best enjoyed on the big screen

I've had a few experiences like that, thinking that the experience would be better on a TV screen. Knives Out is not the type of film that's likely to be played at my local cinema anyway, so I might have no other alternative than to watch it at home.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited November 2019 Posts: 4,043
    Knives Out 2020

As someone who was bought up with the whodunits, literally weened on Miss Marple & Poirot and read a good number of the Agatha Christie novels. It has certainly been sometime since someone has been able put a new spin on that genre, as remake of the classic Murder On The Orient Express is not going to get me back in the cinema.

Well thank god that Rian Johnson (yes him) has been able to breathe new life into its creaky joints. He knows the heritage of this type of storytelling, yet he manages to take well known tropes and give them a new spin.

Most of the action plays out in a country mansion (nothing new here) he assembles a cast of undesirables with motives all of them (again nothing new here). Although he brings this all into the light of the 21st Century, the film isn't explicit with its views, although it's clear he is making some statements here. Also as well as being interesting, thrilling and clever, it is also at times extremely funny.

Sidney Lumet will always take the prize of the best Christie adaptation with Orient Express, Agatha's most inventive and clever work. Lumet furnished with an all star cast of characters including a James Bond in Sean Connery. Well Johnson has pulled off that same trick he's got his own Bond here in his film.

For the members of the Thrombey family, Christopher Plummer as the head of the family Harlan the victim who originally is supposedly a suicide that kicks off proceedings. The Police are on the scene to interview the family accompanied by a celebrated southern private detective Benoit Blanc, Daniel Craig who flirted with comedy in Steven Soderbergh's Logan Lucky as bleach blonde convict Joe Bang, here he embraces the accent and doesn't hold back.

This should dispel any idea that Craig (who wasn't previously) is a one note actor, it's a dazzling display and he fully goes there.

The Thrombey clan is filled out with Harlan's delightful siblings and in laws. Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Shannon, Don Johnson and Toni Collette all enjoy themselves letting Johnson's delicious dialogue trip off their tongues and Chris Evans is anything but Captain America as entitled grandson Ransom and is having a ball here.

Though they are all just supporting players of what seems like an ensemble to start with but Ana de Armas as Harlan's faithful nurse Marta is key here, she is the beating heart and she drives the story along becoming due to her unique condition a ideal tool for Craig's Blanc's investigations.

Johnson has here a truly brilliant script that has something to say as well as entertain, the fact that less than an hour into the 2 hr 10 mins duration answers the question we are all supposedly there to be answered. Though Johnson then spins this off into a different direction and propels us all along to one of those famous round ups where Benoit Blanc sums the whole thing up.

If there are any gripes, Atlantic stand out LaKeith Stanfield gets sidelined with a generic role but it's small fry when you consider the quality on display here, Nathan Johnson (Rian's cousin) aids proceedings with a delightfully enjoyable score.

Just a total blast and I hope the financial reward allow Johnson to bring Craig's Blanc back for more sleuthing.

9/10

ranx.jpg

If you like Rank Xerox, check out this cover on Frank Zappa s album by Liberatore.
    667_86928234.jpg

Yeah I love that cover. Tanino Liberatore is one of my favourite artists.
    Knives Out (2019). Awesome film. Super entertaining and yet another big hit from the year for me. 2019 was a stunning year for films IMO.
    Knives Out

It's been a long while I haven't seen a comedy or a whodunit on the big screen. Well, I'm glad I decided to watch this one. I highly recomand it to every fan of both. Highlights : "Beafterfore", the will, and of course the big reveal. Still, I'm afraid Daniel Craig
    has as much singing talent as Pierce Brosnan, and that's not a compliment.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Gerard wrote: »
    Knives Out

It's been a long while I haven't seen a comedy or a whodunit on the big screen. Well, I'm glad I decided to watch this one. I highly recomand it to every fan of both. Highlights : "Beafterfore", the will, and of course the big reveal. Still, I'm afraid Daniel Craig
    has as much singing talent as Pierce Brosnan, and that's not a compliment.

I beg to differ @Gerard
    HELLBOY (Neil Marshall, 2019)

As intriguing as it is to see more of Mignola s stories and characters brought to life, this is a gigantic step down from the del Toro/Perlman movies.
    Trying to get into more Wes Craven films

The Last House on the Left (1972). Did not find any value in this; unpleasant in every way.

The Hills Have Eyes (1977). This one I liked quite a bit. Pretty solid horror film.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Trying to get into more Wes Craven films

The Last House on the Left (1972). Did not find any value in this; unpleasant in every way.

The Hills Have Eyes (1977). This one I liked quite a bit. Pretty solid horror film.

Agree with you on 'Last House'

a thoroughly unpleasant experience.

I love Hills Have Eyes. A real 70's shocker.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I suppose the point of THE LAST HOUSE OF THE LEFT was to be unpleasant in every way. ;-)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Jumanji: The Next Level (2019)

jumanji-the-next-level.jpg

Dwayne Johnson has done in again. This was one of the most fun, entertaining and hilarious action/adventure films of the year. Action packed, jam packed with one-liners, mixed with a cast of very colourful and likeable characters (especially given Karen Gillen & Jack Black have way more screentime in this one than the previous outing). Dwayne Johnson & Kevin Hart were also a blast to watch, 'played' in Jumanji by Danny DeVito & Danny Glover. I really hope they can make a 3rd (4th one when counting the Robin Williams version).

The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988). Interesting film, reminded me a bit of LALD.

The People Under the Stairs (1991). Really liked this one a lot; it’s like a creepy, modernish fairy tale. Very enjoyable.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    On the Encore Westerns Channel:

Featuring a very young Robert Mitchum and a pre-Superman George Reeves in the supporting cast:

40774.jpg

and

the-crimson-trail-1935.jpg
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Godzilla: King of Monsters I love the old Kaiju films so this was a lot of fun for me.
    godzilla-tickets-poster-1.jpg
    Royal Flash
    -327907270679803252.jpg
    Directed by Richard Lester, its not as good as his Musketeers films though still enjoyable, Britt Ekland looking gorgeous is amusing.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 2,896
    Just watched the Lon Chaney version of The Phantom of the Opera (the 1925 and 1929 versions), after having read Gaston Leroux's novel. The film is pretty close to the book excerpt for its ending, which is less emotional. The studio insisted on a new ending after an idiotic test audience disliked the original.

As for the film in general, the direction is weak and so are most of the actors, but the art direction and cinematography are suitably spooky and Chaney supplies one of the greatest monsters in film history with his unsettling skull face and bleeding heart.
    Deadly Blessing (1981). Honestly can't decide how much I enjoyed this movie. It was truly loony, for better or worse; the last 10-15 minutes, particularly the last 3, are just insane. Ernest Borgnine, who never fails to entertain, was my favorite part.
    Deadly Blessing (1981). Honestly can't decide how much I enjoyed this movie. It was truly loony, for better or worse; the last 10-15 minutes, particularly the last 3, are just insane. Ernest Borgnine, who never fails to entertain, was my favorite part.

Underrated film. Due a rewatch from me.

Featuring a young Sharon Stone. Some versions have the stupid 'Incubus' ending.

Wait a minute... there are versions without that ending??? How many versions are there? What is the other ending?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    KNIVES OUT
    Absolutely loved it. At first Dan's American accent was a bit funny, but I warmed to it after a while. He's brilliant in it by the way.

Also loved to see Don Johnson from Miami Vice in a different role than usual. Jamie Lee Curtis, K Callan and Chris Evans were also hilarious.

I do usually like whodunits and although it's no Agatha Christie it's very well thought out and it takes a different take on the genre. Recommended.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    KNIVES OUT
    Absolutely loved it. At first Dan's American accent was a bit funny, but I warmed to it after a while. He's brilliant in it by the way.

Also loved to see Don Johnson from Miami Vice in a different role than usual. Jamie Lee Curtis, K Callan and Chris Evans were also hilarious.

I do usually like whodunits and although it's no Agatha Christie it's very well thought out and it takes a different take on the genre. Recommended.

One of the best films of the year IMO. Craig was fantastic.

Wait a minute... there are versions without that ending??? How many versions are there? What is the other ending?

The other ending omits the 'Incubus' completely.

Therefore making the film a Religious cult psycho horror rather than a full blown supernatural horror film where an Incubus actually exists.

Not sure if it was a version i saw on TV or a VHS tape.

I have just checked online and there isn't anything about alternate versions so perhaps my ageing decrepid brain is remembering it wrong...

The other ending omits the 'Incubus' completely.

Therefore making the film a Religious cult psycho horror rather than a full blown supernatural horror film where an Incubus actually exists.

Not sure if it was a version i saw on TV or a VHS tape.

I have just checked online and there isn't anything about alternate versions so perhaps my ageing decrepid brain is remembering it wrong...

The whole film really changes because of that very ending. I would have definitely leaned more positive without it.
    THE BFG (Steven Spielberg, 2016)

Lovely kids movie, and as an adult human bean I can still enjoy much of it.