Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 1,533
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre:The Next Generation.

Lol okay this movie is godawful but it's sorta so bad it's good. It's part of a group of slasher sequels that everyone hates that I enjoy. Others include Jason Goes to Hell, Halloween 5 and 6, and Freddy's Revenge.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    001 wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I need to see Blow Out, Sisters, and Scarface.

Essential De Palma. I'm quite envious that you will be seeing these for the first time

Are Blow Out, Sisters, and Scarface better than Tarantino films in your opinion ?

Well I suppose. Tarantino is an amazing filmmaker but De Palma came first so yes. With regard to De Palma's best films, they are better.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,530
    Jurrassic Park great movie and the best, just realised I have the first four movies in 4K, RakutenTV has many of my Ultraviolet digital films and very kindly has given me numerous films presented in 4K which include Fantastic Beasts and The Martian nice.
    What's your top 10 movies in order for the year ?

maxresdefault.jpg
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    1. Mission Impossible: Fallout
    2. Burning / Beoning
    3. The Guilty / Den Skyldige
    4. Widows
    5. Overlord
    6. Upgrade
    7. Deadpool 2
    8. The Sisters Brothers
    9. The Commuter
    10. Den of Thieves
    2. Burning / Beoning
    3. The Guilty / Den Skyldige
    4. Widows
    5. Overlord
    6. Upgrade
    7. Deadpool 2
    8. The Sisters Brothers
    9. The Commuter
    10. Den of Thieves

Do you think this year has been one of the worst years for good movies ?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2018 Posts: 15,694

I don't think so, there's been plenty of good (if not great) movies in a wide variety of genres.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 1,575

I don't think so, there's been plenty of good (if not great) movies in a wide variety of genres.

Maybe i should say not many great movies this year compared to other years.

Maybe i should say not many great movies this year compared to other years.

I think in terms of recent years (since 2010), 2016 was the worse in terms of amount of great movies released.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    While there have been vast array of films that are enjoyable, ones you love to watch, the majority of films for me released in the past 18 years feel very disposable. There are some greats, but unfortunately, the average movie these days gets a phenomenal praise you'd think we're about to meet a heavenly masterpiece when they're not. Or maybe I'm just getting cynical with age.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I have been rather disappointed with many of the films I've seen this year. I've also not been as interested in many of the releases either - I think I've seen less films in the theatre this year than in any other year in the recent past.

I can't pull together a top 10 at the moment. Hopefully there are few films coming out in Christmas that may make a favourable impression.

Despite this, my top 3 this year absolutely blew me away, and were far more impressive than anything I've seen in a long time:

2. Red Sparrow
    3. Avengers: Infinity War

Honourable mentions (and possible top 10 candidates) include: Sicario: Day of the Soldado; The Equalizer 2; Operation Finale; The Girl in the Spider's Web
    bondjames wrote: »
    I have been rather disappointed with many of the films I've seen this year. I've also not been as interested in many of the releases either - I think I've seen less films in the theatre this year than in any other year in the recent past.

I can't pull together a top 10 at the moment. Hopefully there are few films coming out in Christmas that may make a favourable impression.

Despite this, my top 3 this year absolutely blew me away, and were far more impressive than anything I've seen in a long time:

2. Red Sparrow

Honourable mentions (and possible top 10 candidates) include: Sicario: Day of the Soldado; The Equalizer 2; Operation Finale; The Girl in the Spider's Web

Maybe today's movies are heading the same way as today's songs.

Songs used to be great, now they are mostly rubbish.

2. Red Sparrow

That's certainly possible. I'm not sure. I certainly agree on music - the old stuff was much better.

This was really the first year that I felt I was losing touch with what was popular. There were several films which I thought were average or complete trash which were phenomenally successful in the theatres.

What I especially liked about Fallout and Red Sparrow is that they reminded me of how films were made before. MI with its great pacing, seamlessly integrated action and 'for real' stuntwork (rather than via some dweeb at a desk behind a computer screen), and RS with its slow burn narrative and moody dark atmosphere. IW in turn was beautifully executed large scale popcorn film making with a message.

2. Red Sparrow

That's certainly possible. I'm not sure. I certainly agree on music - the old stuff was much better.

This was really the first year that I felt I was losing touch with what was popular. There were several films which I thought were average or complete trash which were phenomenally successful in the theatres.

What I especially liked about Fallout and Red Sparrow is that they reminded me of how films were made before. MI with its great pacing, seamlessly integrated action and 'for real' stuntwork (rather than via some dweeb at a desk behind a computer screen), and RS with its slow burn narrative and moody dark atmosphere. IW in turn was beautifully executed large scale popcorn film making with a message.

Black Panther (2018) was one of the most over hyped movies ever.
    It was boring.

Superman (1978) is probably the best super hero film ever.

2. Red Sparrow

Black Panther (2018) was one of the most over hyped movies ever.
    It was boring.

Superman (1978) is probably the best super hero film ever.
    I wasn't particularly impressed with BP either, but I didn't think it was awful. Just average.

Films like The Meg, Venom and the second Jurassic World film were complete tripe though.

I've not seen the original Superman in ages - preteen for sure. I have to revisit it sometime.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Mine's starting to take shape, but it's changing all the time and there's quite a few to see before Christmas. It's actually been a fairly cracking year for films despite some major disappointments.

Cold War
    Mission Impossible Fallout
    Leave No Trace
    Journeyman
    Halloween
    Creed 2
    You Were Never Really Here
    A Quiet Place
    Revenge
    First Reformed

Hon mentions: Tully, Loveless, Michael Inside, Rosie, Widows, Black Kkklansman, The Incredibles 2
    It's been a somewhat strange movie year for me in 2018. I've yet to go to the theatre, and I've not seen a film released in 2018 yet. A year for the TV shows instead!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    What's your top 10 movies in order for the year ?

maxresdefault.jpg

I am not sure I could put a top ten together, admittedly there are some films I have not seen yet. Overall I think alot of the films have been disappointing. The only films I rewatch alot from this year are

Fallout
    Infinity War
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 3,336
    Out of the Past (1947)

Rewatched this gem. One of the best film noirs ever made. Robert Mitchum cool as usual.
  • Top 10 of 2018 for me:

(Lots of superhero ones :/ Maybe they ARE making too many these days, lol)

Halloween
    Solo
    Mission: Impossible FALLOUT
    Dead Pool 2
    Infinity War
    Black Panther
    Ready Player One
    A Quiet Place
    Ant-Man & The Wasp
    Death Wish

I know I'm missing some obvious good movies, but this list only includes ones I've seen. I'm sure Creed II would rank very high, but unfortunately I still haven't seen it.
    Incredibles II and A Quiet Place were my favorites. I also enjoyed Halloween, Black Panther, Mission: Impossible - Fallout, Deadpool 2, and Ready Player One. Overall though I thought 2017 was a much stronger year for films.
    M:2 4K Well this presentation has surprised me it's considerably better than the Bluray, I always thought this film maybe the weakest visually though I am quite impressed at an often lush detailed image. The film has never looked better, its still hilariously bad though a much easier watch this time round.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited December 2018 Posts: 45,489
    Just bought Incredibles 2, but haven t watched it yet.

Top five films so far

1 Der Hauptmann
    2 Loving Vincent
    3 The Quake
    4 Ant-Man and the Wasp
    5 Sicario 2 _Day of the Soldado
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Did you see the first?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Did you see the first?
    Yes, it was uncredible. Looking forward to the watch, maybe this weekend.
    Ant Man and the Wasp.

What a blast, loved this one as much as the last one. So much fun, action and the tech in it and how it is manipulated is just brilliant!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Ant Man and the Wasp.

What a blast, loved this one as much as the last one. So much fun, action and the tech in it and how it is manipulated is just brilliant!

I have still not watched this, I'll definately buy it after Christmas.
    Ant Man and the Wasp.

I will be very surprised if say you didn't like it? Post your thoughts once you have seen it!
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,530
    Ant Man and the Wasp.

I will be very surprised if say you didn't like it? Post your thoughts once you have seen it!

Will do I enjoyed the first film, looking forward to seeing more of the Quantum Realm.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    This year two films were in a class of their own in my opinion:

- Cold War (Pawel Pawlikowski)
    - Suspiria (Luca Guadagnino)