Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Even if I think one or two of the later films are better, I too do love the look of these early Dracula's from Hammer. And the early Hammer: Frankenstiens as well.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Actually, while I am more a fan of the Dracula tales than I am of Frankenstein, I can honestly say that Peter Cushing's Frankenstein films for Hammer are among my absolute favourites. Frankenstein Created Woman is the best of that lot IMO.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited July 2012 Posts: 28,694
    BATMAN MARATHON LEADING UP TO: THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

In an effort to become as hyped as humanly possible for TDKR, this week I am working through the Batman films from Burton to Nolan. The first up, naturally, is 1989's Batman.

Batman (1989)
    1-Batmanposter.jpg

For this review, and all the reviews, I will go in depth with the pros and cons of the films, and finish by outlining my overall thoughts on the film. So, to get the negatives out of the way first:

The Cons:
    *One of the things that I find myself unable to get over is how Batman is portrayed. Batman would never, ever, ever
    kill a man
    , at any cost. But he does in this film,
    even just a random thug he sends falling to his death on a 30 story freefall in the church climax.
    That is a big deal for me, and it is an even larger deal that the character is portrayed as he is supposed to be: a moralistic man who's parent's deaths have shown him the danger of crime and malicious killing, things he himself has learned are never the answer.
    Batman can clean the streets without resorting to killing a man, even if that man killed his parents. He even says in the final fight that he will kill Joker, and the Batman I know very well wouldn't ever kill for revenge. Which brings me to my next con.

*The Joker, aka Jack Napier. I haaaaaaaaate that they set it up so that
    Jack is the killer of the Waynes.
    It is an interesting thing to experiment with, but I am just not a fan.
    I prefer that Joe Chill is forever the killer, instead of the best villain in the series.
    The character of Jack that turns into the Joker is an interesting spin, but I like the original Joker backstory better, and Heath's portrayal. Jack is okay, but he is just so Jack in the role. I could see him doing a lot of the things his Joker did in the film, like destroying the paintings the way he did, making his rounds to music, or hitting on Vicki Vale. The Joker is entertaining, and adds an interesting thread to the story, but I never care if he succeeds. With TDK I find myself rooting for Joker, cheering him on even. Heath's brilliant performance and malevolent magnetism in the role is chillingly fantastic, and I get a grin like the Joker watching it. With this film, I don't have that.

Batman, for whatever reason, seems to run into gunfire a lot instead of tactically surrounding the armed men and dispatching them properly. And he gets shot a ton in this film.

I find a few minor complaints, but those are the biggest issues I find with the film, which are basically problems with how the characters and their backstories and motivations were portrayed.

The Pros:
    *The music! The OST is on fire, the quintessential Batman music straight from the master himself, Danny Elfman. If you asked me what Batman music sounded like, I would pick Danny as the definitive sound. His tracks started it all, complementing music to the dark Gotham skyline and the crime taking its home on the city's streets. The main track is forever famous, and whenever I heard it I want to put on a cape and prance around.

*The sets/architecture! I can see the inspiration the *cough* Schumacher *cough* films got from these Burton films. The vision of Gotham City that we get in this film is equally quintessential in a way, as it sets the stage for the first film adaption of the city we all know. Everything has a very theatrical and gothic look. Sculptures and huge statuettes pop up here and there, and the atmosphere with the riddled streets filled with a fog, the skylights, and the darkness in much of the film are great additions that truly evoke what Gotham is, and I love the look of the city. The only issue I have with this is that you can sense that the city is finite. The sets are visibly depletive, and when you know that the set is a set that takes you out of the image of Gotham that has been painted in your head. I prefer Nolan's choice of filming inside real, breathing cities. That way you feel there, in the action and in the danger. Even though not everything in BB and TDK are endless, it feels infinite, and that is the key.

*Vicki Vale. Kim Basinger is really enjoyable in the role, and I enjoy how her character acts. She doesn't let Bruce run over her, and she is determined in her work. Though they mucked up the original character a tad with her job description, she is every bit the imaginative, resourceful, and caring character she has been in the comics. And boy is she a fox.

*Burton's direction and the dialogue. I love a lot of the scenes where Bruce is present, speaking with either Vicki or her friend Knox from the Gazette. These scenes are so great to me because we see two people who have a negative view of Bruce Wayne and the stereotypical opinions of the rich boys that come along with them, only to be proved wrong when they see the real him. Fantastic scenes are
    when Vale and Knox are exploring Bruce's armory and insulting him, while he slowly edges in behind them for a surprise. The dialogue here and in the scenes with Bruce and Vicki are very enjoyable, and well done. Burton has great shots in the film, especially when he uses the shadows to hide characters, perfect for a Batman film. It all has a noir feel to it.

These basic points of both pros and cons collect into my overall opinion of the film. Gotham is a character, and you feel it. Everything from the brilliant music accompanying it to the great sets that give the quintessential look to Gotham that affected how comics at the time portrayed the city. Though characters like Batman and Joker aren't portrayed true to their comic roots, and at times it is as if they aren't even the same characters, I enjoy the battle between them and respect that the film decided to go their own way with them in some areas. Vicki is an enjoyable love interest, as I fall in love with her like Bruce does. She is smart and resourceful, but not dumb, and doesn't try to handle Joker head on like a superwoman. Keaton is a very good Bruce. He plays the everyman very well, and I love the humanity he evokes. He is also bloody resourceful and clever, attributes very true to who Bruce is as a man. I have to appreciate the film that started Batman's big blockbuster series, leading to the Batman films we have today. Though this film is by no means the best Batman film, it is a good film. Enjoyable and fun, gothic and Burtonesque in many respects, it is an interesting take on the classic characters in the world of Batman, a character who had his 50th anniversary in that year. Onwards to Batman Returns!
    edited August 2012 Posts: 23,650
    <center>DD's Michael Mann retrospective</center>

<center><font size = 4>part 1</font></center>

<center><font color = darkblue size = 6>THIEF (1981)</font></center>

<center>thief.jpg</center>

Coming off my Fincher retrospective, I immediately decided to jump into a Michael Mann retrospective for Mann, like Fincher, is someone whose films I'm generally addicted to. I must point out though that this retrospective will restrict itself to Mann's theatrically released films, although I will comment a bit on L.A. Takedown once we get to a certain Mann film in 1995... ;-) I'll keep posting the results of my Fincher retrospective for reference.

So, we begin in 1981 with Thief, and this is an immediate hit for me. Already can I see the blueprint of what is to come in Mann's career. The way he sets up his shots and tells his story, truly fascinating. We follow a professional thief, a criminal by definition, yet he walks away with our sympathy because that's the kind of characters Mann enjoys to focus on. We will see it again in HEAT, Public Enemies and a few more of his films. The thief, who is usually the adversary in a hero cop film, is now our main character. We explore his motives, his personal life, his moral code and his methods. We end up liking him, not only because we have no choice, but also because James Caan plays the part very well.

Other cast members worth mentioning are Jim Belushi and Robert Prosky in their first and second film role respectively, and also debuting is William Petersen, the star of Mann's third film, Manhunter.

But it's not only an engaging story and some magnificent acting that make Thief a film worth seeing. The cinematography, more than anything else, might glue you to your seats. Playing around with specific lighting and shadows, aids Mann and cinematographer Donald Thorin in creating a sense of progression and danger, and building suspense. There's a beautiful nightly aesthetic permeating this film and it makes me feel like I'm there, as a thief in the big city, one year before I was actually born.

Lastly, Tangerine Dream provides a score that is heavy on synthesisers, thus adding a very nostalgic feel to this film. If you experienced the 80s, like I did, you will be pulled back to those days straight away.

Thief is often neglected on Mann's resume. People usually show more interest in his post-1990 work. Too bad! Thief is Mann's cinematic debut but it's by all means a brilliant film. Breaking clichés, messing up expectations, showing the technical goods where we like them and giving us the story of the criminal instead of the cop (and not even in a Bonnie & Clyde fashion), Thief is a film I recommend to everyone who enjoys HEAT and Miami Vice, and who isn't afraid of some early 1980s aesthetics.

<font color = red>Final score:</font> 9/10

DD's Michael Mann retrospective score card:
    Thief: 9/10

DD's David Fincher retrospective score card:
    Seven: 9,5/10
    The Social Network: 9,5/10
    Zodiac: 8,5/10
    The Game: 8/10
    Panic Room: 8/10
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo: 8/10
    Alien³: 7,5/10
    The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button: 7,5/10
    Fight Club: 7/10
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 40,595
    I've always been a fan of Michael Mann, and it's cool how you point out how we, the audience, always manage to fall in love or root for the 'villains' portrayed in Mann's films: 'Heat,' 'Public Enemies,' even 'Collateral' for me. He's one of my favorite directors, and I'm ashamed to say I have not seen 'Thief.' I'll have to watch it as soon as I can find it.

EDIT: Managed to find it on Netflix Play Now. I'll plan on watching it sometime this evening if I get the chance.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    EDIT: Managed to find it on Netflix Play Now. I'll plan on watching it sometime this evening if I get the chance.

Go ahead, @Creasy47! Please let me know when you've finished the film what you think of it. And please pay attention to the cinematography and music. I'm excited to hear your thoughts. You'd be the first I'd ever get a chance of discussing Thief with. ;-)

I'm planning the next Mann film this evening as well, but first some household duties. ;-)
    @DarthDimi, will do! That should be nice - I'm really looking forward to watching it. I'm watching Jason Statham's 'Blitz' first, as it's been recommended to me by different people on numerous occasions, and then I think I'll watch 'Thief.' Does it have the same type of cinematography and camera movement that his other films do, or is it different because it's an older film of his?
    It preludes many of his later films, including Heat. However, Mann's best cinematographer, IMO, would be Spinotti. We have to wait till Manhunter to see his work in a Mann film. And of course, these are the 80s. There's no digital work yet, not like the stuff we see in Public Enemies. That said, every bit of Mann-soul is in this film, which is why I rate it so high.
    Very good. I figure with anything being different because it's the 80's, it's still going to have that magnificent feel to it that Mann induces in all of his films. I can't wait to see the new project he works on, after the short-lived TV series 'Luck.'
    Man(n), it's time the master got back to work! I want a Mann film, urgently. His films are like caffeine to me: I need my daily fix.
    You and I both, I see them as a drug. The last I heard, he had a Formula One-esque racing movie lined up, along with one about the Battle of Agincourt. I just want him to announce something very, very soon.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    dracula_prince_of_darkness_poster.preview.jpg

Hammers third bite of the Dracula apple sees the return of Lee but the departure of Cushing. I liked the incluson of vampire lore regarding entering property. But the water rule appears to have changed from holy water to plain old H2O.

Hammer Horror Dracula Films:
    1. Horror Of Dracula (1958)
    2. Dracula: Prince Of Darkness (1966)
    3. Brides Of Dracula (1960)

• Just watched troll hunter...surprisingly good
    Just watched troll hunter...surprisingly good

I have that in my Netflix Instant Queue, and really get excited to sit down and watch it every time I re-watch the trailer, but I just never have the feeling to do so when it comes time to watch it.

I just watched 'Blitz,' starring Jason Statham and Paddy Considine. Very enjoyable movie. Not so much a mystery as it is a thriller, and I really got a lot of fun out of it. Now I can see why it was so heavily recommended. I think it's time to watch 'Thief,' now.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    Just watched troll hunter...surprisingly good

I have that in my Netflix Instant Queue, and really get excited to sit down and watch it every time I re-watch the trailer, but I just never have the feeling to do so when it comes time to watch it.

I just watched 'Blitz,' starring Jason Statham and Paddy Considine. Very enjoyable movie. Not so much a mystery as it is a thriller, and I really got a lot of fun out of it. Now I can see why it was so heavily recommended. I think it's time to watch 'Thief,' now.

It's a funny creature feature. Just finished watching pandorum which was ok an ok scifi movie
    @forgotmyusername, I haven't seen it in a year or so, but I remember enjoying 'Pandorum.' Pretty scary film.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    @forgotmyusername, I haven't seen it in a year or so, but I remember enjoying 'Pandorum.' Pretty scary film.

antje traue is hot can't wait to see her man of steel. The other German lady I like. Apple tv and Netflix has a lot to for.

edited August 2012 Posts: 23,650
    <center>DD's Michael Mann retrospective</center>

<center><font size = 4>part 2</font></center>

<center><font color = darkblue size = 6>THE KEEP (1983)</font></center>

<center>thekeep.jpg</center>

I love horror and I love Michael Mann's films. Then why is it this film never fails to let me down? Somehow I feel this isn't a project Mann should have touched. It's just not his kind of thing.

The premise is promising enough though. A bunch of greedy Nazis awaken an evil force in a remote keep. Unable to handle the situation, they resort to desperate measures. And so we have the likes of Scott Glenn, Gabriel Byrne and Jürgen Prochnow trying the best they can to make it work on screen. However, the film is heavy on dialogue and some of that dialogue is extremely tedious and feels like you're watching a cheap play. Then there's Ian McKellen (what are you doing here, sir?) but even he can't save the film.

It flat-out disappoints me to know that Mann wrote the screenplay for this film. Sure, it was based on a book but I consider the man talented enough to make it really good, despite the source material. Then why am I not enjoying myself? Is it the cheap visual effects? (That wouldn't be fair given the times and the budget.) Alex Thomson's cinematography certainly doesn't excite me the way Thorin's did in Thief and the way Spinotti's will in Mann's future films.

In fact, for me there's only one thing really good about this film: Tangerine Dream. And even then I must confess that it probably has a lot more to do with nostalgia than with the actual quality of the synthesiser heavy score.

The Keep is something of a messy film to me. Most of what I see is stuff that I fail to fully comprehend. The film appears to be lacking cohesiveness and even the most basic form of logic. The positive elements I take away from it are the music and a couple of nice shots. Other than that though, I have little love for it. Perhaps I need to see it more often. I don't know. I don't know whether Mann has distanced himself from this film or not either, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has. It looks good, at times, and sounds good, but other than that, The Keep is a flawed film. I cannot recommend it.

<font color = red>Final score:</font> 5,5/10

DD's Michael Mann retrospective score card:
    Thief: 9/10
    The Keep: 5,5/10

DD's David Fincher retrospective score card:
    Seven: 9,5/10
    The Social Network: 9,5/10
    Zodiac: 8,5/10
    The Game: 8/10
    Panic Room: 8/10
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo: 8/10
    Alien³: 7,5/10
    The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button: 7,5/10
    Fight Club: 7/10
    Fight Club only a 7 ?

I think it could well be Fincher's finest hour, from all that I have seen of his work

Never quite understood the ending though..
    Godfather 3 (1990)
    Good film not as good as the first 2. 7.5/10
    The Godfather always reminds me of Moonraker......

Bond in Bed with a Horses Head..

I didn't know Sarah Jessica Parker was in Moonraker..

:D
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited July 2012 Posts: 28,694
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I didn't know Sarah Jessica Parker was in Moonraker..

:D

Pierce knows!
    funny-celebrity-pictures-i-thought-horses-ate-oats.jpg
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I'm in tears right now. Wow.
    SJP and Lois Chiles may well be related with their equine similarities
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I'm in tears right now. Wow.

You should have seen me the first time I viewed that. I could have filled bucketfulls! =))
    I just looked at it again. Oh, my sides! Haha, they're in so much pain. That's almost as good as the Bond/Mr. Kil one. Whew.

Back on topic, I'm halfway through 'Conan the Barbarian' right now. It's alright, I suppose. The audio is incredibly bad, and it came with no subtitles, so I'm trying to fight through it by assuming a general plot and just letting the film take me where it chooses.
    Sorry, what was so amusing back there?, the horse face picture? Can someone just clarify etc
    Is that the new Conan?

Anyway, I'm going to make some popcorn and watch Batman Returns.
    Here's something else that may amuse some, last word on the SJP horse thing, feel free to return to James Bond after this...

http://sarahjessicaparkerlookslikeahorse.com/

Goodnight I-)