Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Agreed, if you go for the Trailer, you'll be really disappointed.

xxx

True.
    I also think that Ash had maybe a bit too much screentime. We got to see who Ash was and what made him the man he was, yet the same can't be said of Ewan.

Otherwise I thought it was a nice low key drama thriller. And I got to see Rampling in an M esque role.

I think it's interesting what they did.
    You typically get a build up of the hero character before he comes accross a villain with little back story, so seeing it flopped where the we build up the villain and come across the hero is interesting.

• marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    edited July 2012 Posts: 3,277
    Otherwise I thought it was a nice low key drama thriller. And I got to see Rampling in an M esque role.

Totally.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Starship Troopers

starshiptroopers_l.jpg

Why this film generated such mixed reactions back in the day is beyond me. I love Starship Troopers. It's bold, quite intelligent, with a delicate but very relevant subtext and overall well acted and well executed. Plus, it's still great fun even if you fail to take it as seriously as I believe it was meant by some to be taken. Science fiction meets action or just political satire? Doesn't matter, really. Bloody good film, this.

This is one of my favourites, I just love everything about it (though I try to pretend the sequels don't exist). Thank you, now I know what I'm going to be watching today.

You know there's an animated film based on it currently in production?
    48 Hrs. (1982)
    Enjoyable film with nick nolte and eddie murphy.8/10
    The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

Honestly I wasn't too keen going in, I loved the original when I saw it in cinemas as a 10 year old, didn't have high hopes for this one despite the strong reviews. But I honestly loved it. While the original will remain important to me (it was the first superhero movie I'd seen) this one really does surpass it. Better acting, better effects, better story, better everything. Rhys Ifans is my favourite Spider-Man villain to date, Denis Leary was excellent, Martin Sheen was a solid Uncle Ben, though I preferred Cliff Robertson in the Tobey Macguire 'Spider-Man'. And Stan Lee's cameo is my personal favourite to date.

I never really understood Emma Stone's appeal, but I really liked her in this. Much preferred her as Gwen Stacey compared to Kirsten Dunst's Mary-Jane. Her chemistry with Andrew Garfield gives the movie much more depth compared to the Tobey Macguire/Kirsten Dunst love story.

Recommend it to new and old fans of Spider-Man, and to people who might not even care about comic books or their screen adaptations.

8/10
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Volante wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Starship Troopers

starshiptroopers_l.jpg

Why this film generated such mixed reactions back in the day is beyond me. I love Starship Troopers. It's bold, quite intelligent, with a delicate but very relevant subtext and overall well acted and well executed. Plus, it's still great fun even if you fail to take it as seriously as I believe it was meant by some to be taken. Science fiction meets action or just political satire? Doesn't matter, really. Bloody good film, this.

This is one of my favourites, I just love everything about it (though I try to pretend the sequels don't exist). Thank you, now I know what I'm going to be watching today.

You know there's an animated film based on it currently in production?

I know and I'm quite looking forward to seeing more SsTr product they put out. I've struck a deal with myself to at least sit through the sequels once, which will add legitimacy to any criticism I may spill over them after that. ;-)

Just finish rewatching the Ocean's Saga. Here's my ranking:
    1- Ocean's Eleven (a great movie because it has an interesting story)
    2- Ocean's Thirteen (not as good as the first one but enjoyable, Pacino was great)
    3- Ocean's Twelve (disappointing and lame)
    4- Ocean's 11 (great cast but boring story and weak production)
    Cleanskin.

It was good, but I was expecting more action. I was also a bit disappointed that they focused more on Ash than Ewan (Bean). It was intresting how they did that, focusing on the villians backstory and everything, but I'd have preferred it if they'd focused on Ewan the entire film tbh.

7/10
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 13,925
    My thoughts exactly. JWESTBROOK made an intersting point a few posts up.

I have never been too sure of Bean as Bond, but after seeing him in that, more to the point, how convincingly ruthless he could be:
    his interrogation of the prostitute in the hotel room

Now I know he could have made a credible tough Bond.
    STARSHIP TROOPERS 2: HERO OF THE FEDERATION

:-S

Can I please have those 90 minutes back?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited July 2012 Posts: 28,694
    So, @Dimi...how'd watching that SsTr sequel go?... ;))
    So, @Dimi...how'd watching that SsTr sequel go?... ;))

It feels dirty... like self-abuse, covered in shame and the foul smell of all sorts of fluids that are only secreted under abnormal circumstances. I would call it 'loathing' but that term feels overly dramatic so I'll just go with the soberly descriptive 'disgust'.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I just got back from the theaters and saw 'Ted': incredibly fun, definite 'Family Guy' vibes throughout. Still, I enjoyed myself, tons of crude humor.
    Madagascar 3 in theatres.

Madagascar-3-Europes-Most-Wanted.jpg

Don't think this one is quite as good as the second one but those penguins are still hilarious so slight recommend.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Crimson Tide (with Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington)

Very good film ! The tension is immense, and you can't pause the film to go to the bathroom, as you want to see what will happen next ! Excellent actors, great music from Hans Zimmer... 8.5/10
    Zimmer's score for CT is great! That main theme absolutely rules. Too bad he's recycled it about eighty times since.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2012 Posts: 15,696
    Absolutly, Dimi :)

I'm thinking of watching 'Traffic', 'Amores Perros' or 'City of God' next... 3 films I've never seen, but heard many good things about them :)
    edited July 2012 Posts: 15,696
    Traffic (directed by Steven Soderbergh)

Absolutly fantastic ! amazing, amazing film. Great acting, especially by Douglas and Del Toro, the plot is very interesting, very good directing.... should have won Best Picture. one of the best films of last decade. 10/10
    Crimson Tide (with Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington)

Very good film ! The tension is immense, and you can't pause the film to go to the bathroom, as you want to see what will happen next ! Excellent actors, great music from Hans Zimmer... 8.5/10

It's the music and background scores that really worked for me
    I have seen this about a half dozen times or more and Gene Hackman does another powerhouse of a performance, and rises above Denzel Washington with ease. It is maybe not as good or atmospheric as Das Boot as a submarine movie but real tension is there is such confined spaces. Really worth a watch, one of the best movies of 1995 without question
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    CW-Reeve-DonnerCut-wp.jpg

Showed it to a friend who hadn't seen it yet. As an experiment, I took the 6 deleted scenes and thru the joys of modern DVD technology, switched them in to where they would've remained in the story. Anyway, Donner's Superman I and II make my 2 favorite comic book films of all time.
    The Second One with Terence Stamp is the best Superman movie for me. The fight with Zod, Non and Ursa in New York is actually quite well done, better than the first and third and the awful fourth (I never watched another one)
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    The Second One with Terence Stamp is the best Superman movie for me. The fight with Zod, Non and Ursa in New York is actually quite well done, better than the first and third and the awful fourth (I never watched another one)

Have you seen both the Lester and the Donner cuts for SII?

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I couldn't stop myself, I had a Johnson:Drummond double-bill. B-)

Deadlier_than_the_male_1_1966.jpg
    MPW-50871

By far the best films to emerge from the 60's spy craze imo, and better than most of the films in the Bond cannon. I like them both, but DTTM is the better of the two (it doesn't hurt that DTTM also happens stars Elke Sommer), SGD feels like a bit of a retread, especailly the opening. Both films are blessed with catchy title songs, in particular The Walker Brothers' <a href=" Deadlier Than The Male</a>
    I diagree with the spy spoof tag, or rather DTTM being called a spoof. I consider it more of a thriller with a sliver of humour running through it.
    It's a shame that Johnson turned down the Bond offer and/or that he didn't make a 3rd Drummond film. I think from now on, I shall consider DTTM as an honourary Bond film.

"She whispers oh such pretty lies,
    Don't believe her,
    For when you look into her eyes,
    Love just isn't there,
    Brother beware,
    Take care my brother take care,
    For the female of the species is deadlier than the male."
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Haywire. You can actually SEE the fights scenes, none of that quick chop edit nonsense oh and the chick is hot.
    @doubleogo, Carano is indeed a sexy, deadly fighting machine, and she's a real MMA fighter, so you know what she's doing is real. I loved all the fight scenes. I watched the behind-the-scenes on all the fights, and
    the fight between her and Fassbender in the hotel
    was all real, excluding the punches. Them smashing one another into things was real. I love that movie.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I wonder how cut up Fassy was after filming.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 40,676
    I wonder how cut up Fassy was after filming.

I'm sure he really got messed up, along with Carano, McGregor, and Tatum.

I just re-watched 'The Thing (2011),' and man, there are so many reasons that the original is better, I don't know where to begin. This film just doesn't cut it for me.
    Scarface. I've seen this film so many times, and Paccino (and his little friend), never fail to entertain me. The story of Tony's rise and fall never gets old.
    Another double-bill. This time I kicked of a Hammer Horror Dracula season with the first two films in the series:

horror-of-dracula-poster-art-1958-everett.jpgthe-brides-of-dracula-poster.jpg

I feel that I must confess to this being the first time i'd seen BRIDES. I thought it was ok, Cushing was class as usual, but David Peel seemed to be trying too hard to channel Chris Lee.

Hammer Horror Dracula Films:
    1. Horror Of Dracula (1958)
    2. Brides Of Dracula (1960)
    I love the aesthetic of Brides, @MajorDSmythe, even more than those of the first film. There's an unsettling horror "cosiness" to this film, which I simply can't resist. I must admit that the same is true for Prince Of Darkness.