Pope Francis

edited March 2013 in General Discussion Posts: 2,189
It was just announced that cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina is the next Pope, and he has taken the name Francis. Just curious to see people's reactions to this...

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I hope that as he has studied chemistry, he's willing to remove anti-scientific dogmatic nonsense from the Catholic teachings and inspire people rather than block them in every possible way.
    A jesuit pope with the Francisco the first after Franciscus of Assisia the pauper priest.

I am sure a lot of people will be suddenly interested again in what a Jesuit actually is.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    It was just announced that cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina is the next Pope, and he has taken the name Francis. Just curious to see people's reactions to this...

Utter indifference.

What relevance does he have other than covering up for paedos and hoarding Nazi gold?

Why is this even newsworthy? Do they report when there's a new head of CAMRA or the scout association? It's just an outdated hobby for some simple minded folk and the sooner it's treated with the disdain of train spotting the better.
    for some simple minded folk

It's a big deal because there are 2 Billion Christians. Think that qualifies as more than "some".
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 7,653

Utter indifference.

What relevance does he have other than covering up for paedos and hoarding Nazi gold?

Why is this even newsworthy? Do they report when there's a new head of CAMRA or the scout association? It's just an outdated hobby for some simple minded folk and the sooner it's treated with the disdain of train spotting the better.

Your reponse shows your ignorance.

If you do not care that is your choice, but your assumptions are laughable.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars

Utter indifference.

It is news; there are millions of Catholics in the world and billions of Christians. You can state your indifference without such mean spirited bashing.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    edited March 2013 Posts: 1,329
    There have been 3 popes since Everton F.C last won a trophy, your welcome .
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    While I don't go as far as our friend Wizard, organised religion has some of the biggest examples of hypocrisy in history and the well documented covering up of paedophiles by the Catholic Church shouldn't surprise some that some of us aren't as impressed with this as others, is it news? of course it is but it's not going to make a jot of difference to me and quite a few others, freedom of speech guys or is that not allowed any more?

• My reaction? He looks like Lewis Gilbert. And Elliot Carver. With a touch of George Smiley.
    edited March 2013 Posts: 9,117
    SaintMark wrote:

Your reponse shows your ignorance.

If you do not are is your choice but your assumptions are laughable.

Your incoherent sentence shows yours.

It is news; there are millions of Catholics in the world and billions of Christians. You can state your indifference without such mean spirited bashing.

Original post asked for people's reactions. Forgive me if mine is not to afford religion the respect everyone tells us we should. If you'd rather you can change the thread title to 'Catholic appreciation' and I'll happily stay out.

Youre right - it is news; bigger news than someone discovering the Higgs Boson or the report this week that Mars had drinkable water on it. And that alone is a sorry indictment of mankind. But never mind all that - rejoice and let's keep championing ignorance.

Harry Potter and Star Wars are also worshipped by millions - doesn't make it true does it?

DCisared wrote:
    There have been 3 popes since Everton F.C last won a trophy, your welcome .

And how many more till we win the title?
    Ah, but Shardlake and DarthDimi, you both made your points without being ugly with your words. That was my point. I wasn't arguing "truth" or value of religion.

More than one organized religion have glaring faults and shame in their history. I just do not like it when someone bashes (in a nasty way) another person's religion. Disagree, state arguments, yes. Freedom of speech is important; I do not like nasty denigrating posts, and I speak up about those at times. And I realize Wizard could have been more harsh, he has at other times. I just didn't feel like staying quiet about that today.
    Shardlake wrote:
    While I don't go as far as our friend Wizard, organised religion has some of the biggest examples of hypocrisy in history and the well documented covering up of paedophiles by the Catholic Church shouldn't surprise some that some of us aren't as impressed with this as others, is it news? of course it is but it's not going to make a jot of difference to me and quite a few others, freedom of speech guys or is that not allowed any more?

But still organised religion has played a large role in our past, as well as today. Yes a lot of attrocities have been commited in the name of religion and still are today commited. But at the end of the day it is humans who do commit horrible deeds and not the religion.

Freedom of speech is great as long as it takes into calculation other peoples believes. For quite a few people this happening tonight is vastly better that the release of SF.

You realize there is evil and hypocracy from Aethists and Scientist and really every group of people even bond fans can commit hypocracy and evil.

Wait sorry I was using rational thought and logic as a christian i clearly have neither according to Wizard of Ice

I love how aethists are quick to point out the Evil of Christianity or Evil of all Religions yet get offfended or annoyed when I point out aethists who have done the same if not worse.

I am Lutheran so Popes mean very little to me but many of my friends and even my Girlfriend and her family are Catholic They are quite happy for a Jesuit Pope.

As a Biblical historian I am interested that an Argentinian pope is more accepted and beloved then an American Pope as was rumored a few weeks ago but I am ok with it.

I have a bond fan friend Mike is his name Aethist as can be but he respects my beliefs I respect his and we rarely argue Imagine if everyone took the approach of live and let live.
    Indeed, well said, @Risico007.

We are all human, we share human fallibility and potential greatness, and let's just respect that we will have differing opinions and faiths - and that for some of us, faith is very important indeed. Agnostics, atheists, everyone can still debate, discuss, or argue in a well balanced, civil way. But the new pope does qualify as news for many people around the world. There is plenty of news in the world that doesn't interest me in the slightest, but I acknowledge that for others those stories probably are newsworthy.
    edited March 2013 Posts: 9,117

I just do not like it when someone bashes (in a nasty way) another person's religion.

And this is the problem. In this day and age if someone still believed the earth was flat you would think nothing of sniggering at them and calling them a simpleton. Why is proudly stating you believe something without any evidence somehow seen as a virtue and something people should be respected for?
    Risico007 wrote:
    You realize there is evil and hypocracy from Aethists and Scientist and really every group of people even bond fans can commit hypocracy and evil.

Thanks for explaining the nature of mankind to me.
    Risico007 wrote:
    Wait sorry I was using rational thought and logic as a christian i clearly have neither according to Wizard of Ice

If the cap fits.....
    Although feel free to bring you logical rationale to bear on how Noah got every single species of animal life onto his ark or how a tsunami or kids getting cancer are part of 'the grand plan'.
    Risico007 wrote:
    I love how aethists are quick to point out the Evil of Christianity or Evil of all Religions yet get offfended or annoyed when I point out aethists who have done the same if not worse.

Youve just made the same point as you started with. Methinks the lady doth protest too much. Guilty conscience? I'd love to have a body count of religion v atheist killings. Granted Hitler would bugger things on our side but even with him to skew the totals it would still be pretty close.
    Risico007 wrote:
    I have a bond fan friend Mike is his name Aethist as can be but he respects my beliefs I respect his and we rarely argue Imagine if everyone took the approach of live and let live.

Happy to live and let live as long as I dont have to have it shoved in my face. When was the last time an atheist knocked on your door and said you should join up and if you dont you were going to die? Although to be fair thats all we can promise you for certain - we are all going to die. Get over it.

Can anyone tell me why do religions even do that knocking on door stuff? If the product you are selling is so good why the need to harangue people into joining? I doubt a girl who put up a sign saying free blowjobs would have to knock on peoples doors to get them to sign up. Could it be that the goods on offer are a little bit dodgy? Have to say its the best scam ever - life insurance that you never have to pay out on. Theres a reason why the vatican is so minted - all you need is a steady stream of suckers.

Anyone with a scintilla of intelligence should watch this film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0815241/

Ok thats my atheist evangelising over for the day (I think we have a lot of ground to make up on the rest of you in that respect). Continue to be happy theres a new pope people and try not to think too much.

• I'll say this as an agnostic, all religious doctrine is control of the weak minded, but I'll add that if it makes you happy then believe & enjoy. Don't believe without question though, any man who is born like you & I but subsequently stands up & dictates how you should live your life is not right in my book.
  • Shardlake wrote:

Freedom of speech is perfectly fine but I can see how people then will react defensively when being labelled simple minded. I couldn't care less who the new pope is as im not catholic and I don't see why the head of the Catholic Church should be elevated to such a position of grandeur, however I respect a persons right to have a faith or belief and would not call them simple minded just because their views may differ from mine.
    As a Jew, I feel very out of the loop on a lot of stuff lately. Oh well :)
    The new guy looks like Jim Bowen
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2013 Posts: 13,894
    DCisared wrote:

Alltogether now, "stay out of the black, and into the red, there's nothing in this game for two in a bed."
    I was very annoyed to see this news on the TV. All ready to watch Great British Menu on BBC2 and there was just a man in a white frock talking Latin on a balcony. Programme eventually started 5 min late. Very annoyed.
    Freedom of speech is perfectly fine but I can see how people then will react defensively when being labelled simple minded.

I agree with you there - simple-minded people do tend to get defensive when their simple-mindedness is pointed out to them. It's the same with fat people. Tell a tubby that they're overweight and they get defensive.

DCisared wrote:

Alltogether now, "stay out of the black, and into the red, there's nothing in this game for two in a bed."

You've won a speedboat! Where do ya live? Bradford haha
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2013 Posts: 13,894
    Hereford. ;)

Actually, I live on the coast, but I don't own a car. You've got to love those Bullseye prizes.
    For those lovely Summer days,.. it's this luxury hamper!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    From Religion to Bullseye in a few post, priceless!
  • Anon wrote:
    I was very annoyed to see this news on the TV. All ready to watch Great British Menu on BBC2 and there was just a man in a white frock talking Latin on a balcony. Programme eventually started 5 min late. Very annoyed.
    Freedom of speech is perfectly fine but I can see how people then will react defensively when being labelled simple minded.

I agree with you there - simple-minded people do tend to get defensive when their simple-mindedness is pointed out to them. It's the same with fat people. Tell a tubby that they're overweight and they get defensive.

That is true, tubby people can get offended when being told they are overweight. But that is being factual. Maybe difficult for them to hear but it is just being factual. However labelling people as being simple minded due to them having a faith or belief is all together different.
    Brilliant guys! I love this site :)
    Anon wrote:

So you just go up to random people calling them fat and simple minded man you must be popular at parties!
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 6,432
    Its a positive step for the Vatican, i am not Catholic though it was a historical moment.
  • RC7RC7
    DCisared wrote:

Gotta say, just pissed my pants at this.
This discussion has been closed.