James Bond - Cunning Linguist

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    It has also occurred to me that Craig's Bond speaks a language other than English in every other film.
  • jake24 wrote: »
    It has also occurred to me that Craig's Bond speaks a language other than English in every other film.

Three of them actually:

CR: German
    QOS: Spanish
    SP: Italian

As far as how many languages Bond could realistically know, I think given the nature of his work and how exstensively he's traveled, it's perfectly reasonable to believe he would be adept at any number of languages. For example, that he's fluent in French and German with a strong conversational knowledge of Spanish and Italian (given the amount of work he's done in Italy and Spanish-speaking countries), Russian (just look at how much of his career has been spent dealing with Russia), and evidently Chinese and Japanese (according to YOLT). From there, it's not unreasonable that he could pick up phrases of Greek, Danish, Arabic, or whatnot for use here and there. If you've learned 6 or 7 languages already, your mind is clearly tuned to that sort of thing.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    The only thing that I remember him saying in German in CR is "Guten Abend" to the Auric Goldfinger copy whose Range Rover he wrecked. Your Spanish and Italian examples are no better. Hell, I could do that in probably around ten or 15 languages without ever claiming I'm fluent in those languages. Also, the German phrases that the Brosnan Bond uttered in TND were really dismal because of his accent. He wouldn't pass for someone "fluent" in German. Dr. Kaufmann's fake German accent is more believable than Bond's attempt at actually speaking the language.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    jake24 wrote: »

Three of them actually:

As far as how many languages Bond could realistically know, I think given the nature of his work and how exstensively he's traveled, it's perfectly reasonable to believe he would be adept at any number of languages. For example, that he's fluent in French and German with a strong conversational knowledge of Spanish and Italian (given the amount of work he's done in Italy and Spanish-speaking countries), Russian (just look at how much of his career has been spent dealing with Russia), and evidently Chinese and Japanese (according to YOLT). From there, it's not unreasonable that he could pick up phrases of Greek, Danish, Arabic, or whatnot for use here and there. If you've learned 6 or 7 languages already, your mind is clearly tuned to that sort of thing.
    Why am I having the toughest time placing this?
  • jake24 wrote: »

Three of them actually:

j_w_pepper pointed it out in the post above: "Guten abend" ("good evening") to the Goldfinger knockoff at the bar.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Well in QOS, he's clearly amused by Mathis' girlfriend when she says to the latter in Italian that he only buys cheap wines. I would say he at least understands the language.
  • To bring this up to date, Bond introduces himself as Mickey Mouse in Italian for SPECTRE.

And after he gives Felix's number to what's-her-name, doesn't he speak a few words of Italian then?

Three of them actually:

j_w_pepper pointed it out in the post above: "Guten abend" ("good evening") to the Goldfinger knockoff at the bar.
    I had completely missed that. Thank you both.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    shamanimal wrote: »
    To bring this up to date, Bond introduces himself as Mickey Mouse in Italian for SPECTRE.

And after he gives Felix's number to what's-her-name, doesn't he speak a few words of Italian then?
    True, he says: buona fortuna, donna Lucia. Good fortune, Lady Lucia.

There's Latin, as well. http://youtu.be/ZAv8SP4ROIk

hqdefault.jpg
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    What really bothered me in SP was that Lucia and her husband were spelled SCIARRA, but pronounced Ski-arra, even by the priest at hubby's funeral. In that case they should have been spelled SCHIARRA, since in Italian, "sch" (before e or i) is pronounced like "sk". Or alternatively they should have pronounced it "sharra". Yes, I know I'm a bean counter on things like those, but it strikes me as non-authentic and sloppy.
    No,thats a fair point JW...good spot !
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    What really bothered me in SP was that Lucia and her husband were spelled SCIARRA, but pronounced Ski-arra, even by the priest at hubby's funeral. In that case they should have been spelled SCHIARRA, since in Italian, "sch" (before e or i) is pronounced like "sk". Or alternatively they should have pronounced it "sharra". Yes, I know I'm a bean counter on things like those, but it strikes me as non-authentic and sloppy.

I agree, these things bother me as well.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    GoldenGun wrote: »

I agree, these things bother me as well.

Me too! Well spotted, @j_w_pepper!
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    And me. Kicking myself for not spotting that one - kudos to you, @j_w_pepper!
    Wow - new feeling! I'm pretty sure that on the late IMDb board, at least a few would have grouped me with the grammar police and told me to shut up in the meantime.
    Not here matey...we are all genuine Bond enthusiasts and anything new that we didn't know about is more than welcome.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    And we are all the grammar police. Or is that just me?

Three of them actually:

I had completely missed that. Thank you both.

Me too.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

It's in a good Bond tradition: when SC's Bond gets into the lift in Amsterdam he also says 'guten abend'. Which, obviously, is German.
    It's in a good Bond tradition: when SC's Bond gets into the lift in Amsterdam he also says 'guten abend'. Which, obviously, is German.
    I obviously didn't re-check this during office hours, but "goedenavond" in Dutch sounds quite similar. I never really wondered about that before, but took it to mean that Bond either pretended to be a German himself as a cover, or that Peter Franks (notwithstanding the constant English pronunciation of his name) was meant to be German.
    Well, I checked it now and he does indeed clearly say "Guten Abend" and not the similar "goedenavond". He also says "bitte" opening the door for Franks. But I still don't think this is a goof by the writers or director, but he's pretending to be German and not knowing enough English ("Who...is...your floor?").
    Thats the way i see it JW...just because the scene is set in Amsterdam,it doesnt mean Bond has to be Dutch...i see him as a German too.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I don t buy it. I am sure the writers and director thought Dutch was English for Deutsch.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 8,655
    I'm having trouble with your theory. Guy Hamilton, Richard Maibaum and Tom Mankiewicz's biographies strongly suggest they should know better. Then of course you may just be pulling our legs.
    Maybe they were just underestimating the audience, then.
    Dr Thunderfinger is a joker in the pack JW,you will get used to the cheeky sod eventually haha ;)
    I may be cheeky, but sod? Speak for yourself, Englishman.
    hmmmm ok...more of a git then ...
    Git is a version control system for tracking changes in computer files. I can be that.
    There you go then...you cheeky version control system for tracking changes in computer files !