Was Martin Campbell the right man to direct CR?

13»

Comments

• edited September 2013 Posts: 97
    not the right but the PERFECT one. his action sequences were exhilarating especially the airport one. the melee battles were brutal but not tasteless. The torture scene is dark and funny.

Which it shouldnt be. The one big black mark on CR for me is having the audience laugh in the middle of Fleming's best torture sequence. And thats Martins fault so no, not PERFECT.

really? I thought seeing a Bond in agony and helpless like in Fleming's torture scene is not that appealing on the big screen. The "movie" Bond is a man who is identified with humor in any situation. And even at the start of the torture scene, one could see the fear in Craig's face; he coped with the situation with humor. Taking it directly from Fleming's novel might be more terrifying but bland. Still, Fleming's novel is on a class of its own, but movies need not to copy everything in my opinion.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I just like seeing Craig's Bond adapt to the situations accordingly: he tries to make a joke out of the torture scene in CR to infuriate Le Chiffre, he attempts to get under Greene's skin at the party in QoS, and he plays along with Silva's flamboyant remarks and advances in SF to show that he is, in fact, not going to be brought down by something so unexpected.
  • Here's something interesting:
    http://www.enidlondon.com/blog/?p=1079

Campbell directed that ad on TV with the guy jumping through the Ford.

Ford-B-Max-Dive-by-MARTIN-CAMPBELL.jpg

The cinematography is very Tony Scott-esque.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Pierce2Daniel, got chills watching that and thinking of Tony Scott. RIP to the man with a great career and one of the best films I've ever seen, 'Man on Fire.'

Surprisingly, for his age, Campbell didn't look that old in the director's chair.