Should Dr.No be rescored with a John Barry type score?

2»

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Personally, I'd buy a re-scored DN. We'd still all have the original.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'd love it. Not that I have anything against the score as it is now.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I'm always against tampering with past works.

Tell that to Trump. ;)
    DR. NO, dated as the score is, I'd leave it alone. I like the '50's sci-fi B movie sound actually. Tampering with a classic film such as this one, would remind me too much of Lucas constantly tinkering with his original STAR WARS trilogy.

GOLDENEYE, on the other hand I wouldn't be against re-scoring. Same with SPECTRE.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I'd like to experience a Dr. No rescore as a fan edit. I took a quick look but couldn't find an example.

The Never Say McClory Again fan rescore was great to experience. I'd also try a GoldenEye fan edit.

But no official rescores necessary.
    I'd like to experience a Dr. No rescore as a fan edit. I took a quick look but couldn't find an example.

The Never Say McClory Again fan rescore was great to experience. I'd also try a GoldenEye fan edit.

NSNA and GE work for me as is. DN would be in keeping with the rest of the 60's Bonds. But that's just my own opinion, for what it's worth (if anything).
    I'm okay with re-scoring the film if John Barry's zombie is.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

The NSNA fan edit is an interesting concept. Never seen it though.

The always awesome Murdock has given us a taste I believe.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It would make an interesting fan project but officially it is what it is; leave it alone.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote: »

The always awesome Murdock has given us a taste I believe.

Yep I redid the bike chase with music from 007 Agent Under Fire. :D
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Much improved, @Murdock.

Not Never Say McClory Again, @PropertyOfALady, but a similar effort below to start the film Bond-style. Complete with proper titles.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I would only be interested in a re-score if the producers were able to afford having John Barry in 1962 re-score the entire film then and there. DR. NO really could have used a much richer score back then. The leap in score quality from that film to FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE is galaxies far.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    My goodness - how much better NSNA becomes when the music is changed! Awesome work on the titles, too.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    It wouldn't be a wise decision that it was officially rescored, but I would love to see a fan rescore. Mining disaster music, indeed. The film has a bit of a B movie feel to it, and the music eagerly enhances it instead of keeping it in check.

I suppose Monty Norman probably didn't realise that he wasn't scoring a B movie. He must have thought at best it was going to be a series of low budget movies.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Rescoring a 1962 classic makes as much sense as colourising the early works of Charlie Chaplin. None.
    I really enjoyed the Giorgio Moroder rescore of Metropolis together with those funky colours, OR NOT.

Doctor No is what it is and should not be tampered with in any way, only EON's restoring of the colours and sound can be considered great.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited July 2018 Posts: 3,157
    vzok wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    It wouldn't be a wise decision that it was officially rescored, but I would love to see a fan rescore. Mining disaster music, indeed. The film has a bit of a B movie feel to it, and the music eagerly enhances it instead of keeping it in check.

I suppose Monty Norman probably didn't realise that he wasn't scoring a B movie. He must have thought at best it was going to be a series of low budget movies.

I think he simply was not capable of doing better than that. Just listen to his non-Bond music, it's all rather bland and generic.

@ToTheRight Agreed about SPECTRE. Let's leave the few highlights (basically Los Muertos Vivos Estan, the first half of Secret Room, Madeleine, the Writing's on the Wall instrumental cue and the first half of Backfire). Everything else is pretty much Skyfall's music or generic stuff (I actually enjoy Snow Plane, but I can see why others don't like it) and should totally be replaced by a proper score.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 17,279
    DN as a film have that upscaled B-movie feel to it (not meant as a negative), which makes the score suitable, I think.

SF/SP on the other hand… To be honest, I would enjoy those films slightly more if they rescored all of it!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    No, because Underneath the Mango Tree is important.