Top Ten film shoot outs. Can you add any?

edited February 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,782
10. Heat.
9. Face Off
8. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
7. Bonnie and Clyde
6. Inglourious Basterds
5. L.A. Confidential
4. Scarface
3. The Matrix (Lobby)
2. Straw Dogs (Hoffman's)
1. Reservoir Dogs

Comments

The Untouchables. One of my favorites
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited February 2013 Posts: 40,469
    The one in 'Heat' is really amazing, and I'm guessing you're speaking of the bar scene in 'Inglourious Basterds'? I would also add the one from 'Django Unchained.'
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    The Matrix. :)
    Tombstone
    more in older filmes; I'll have to add to this list later ...
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Hard Boiled needs a mention here.
    Also, not sure if anyone here is a fan of Steven Seagal's early work - when his films were pretty good - but the shotgun shootout in the finale of 'Out for Justice' was highly entertaining.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

That gets my vote, too. The Killer also had a great one.

I'd also like to add Leon The Professional to this list.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited February 2013 Posts: 11,139
    If we're talking top 10 best ever shoot outs in a movie, then there's no Hollywood movie that would ever make my list.

There are about 4 seperate shootout set pieces alone in this Hong Kong film called, Exiled by Johnnie To. I highly recommend it.

There's the end shoot out in a Korean film called, a bitter sweet life.

Hardboiled and the killer goes without saying. There's also the restaurant shootout in the film, a better tomorrow. Hell, you might as well include every single Chow Yun Fat and John Woo collaboration.

There's another Hong Kong movie called, A hero never dies with about 4 insane shootout set pieces....it's ridiculous.

In fact, I recommend getting a hold of Hong Kong and Korean action, crime thriller movies. Those guys don't joke about.

Touché sir. The finale of Leon is class.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 2,782

Hardboiled is just scene after scene of pure cinematic genius. The killer is still my favorite john woo film.

For drama Rio Bravo and Gunfight at the OK thingy.

310 to Yuma 2007 version is fantastic.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Mr. and Mrs. Smith has fantastic shoot outs, my favorites being the fight between Pitt and Jolie in their home and the ending at the retail store. It is one of my favorite films, with the perfect balance of great drama, comedy and action all in tow. I can't even count how many times I have seen it, and every time it is on TV I tune in.

Another Doug Liman film, The Bourne Identity (as well as Supremacy and Ultimatum) have jaw dropping shoot out scenes. I love the climax of Identity in Paris as well as the parking lot shootout in Ultimatum, but every piece of action in those films is masterpiece worthy from the fist fights to the car chases.

The Mission Impossible films (especially the John Woo directed #2) are full of insane action, shootouts just one great thing about them.

2008's Wanted has jaw dropping shoot out pieces.

2007's Shooter is another great example of awesome shoot outs, the best probably being the section where Wahlberg's character storms the farm.

Just a few notable picks for the moment, and I think a Bond film or two is more than worthy of a spot, eh?
    Inglorious Basterds
    Heat
    Hardboiled
    Leon The Professional
    Reservoir Dogs
    The Matrix
    MI:II (on the motorcycles)
    Quantum Of Solace (opening & opera)
    Scarface

And my winner is....
    The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Hands down.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Oh, I forgot Leon. Great, great choice. Now that I think of Luc Besson, his Transporter films and Taken especially have great shoot outs.

And how about the opening D-Day section of Saving Private Ryan (and most other stuff in the film)? Intense doesn't begin to describe that film. Masterful.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Hard Boiled, Killer, A Better Tommorow, Face Off, all had some good shootouts. Just fill the list with John Woo films.

The gunfight with all the glass smashing in Die Hard is good and I like Rambo 3's finale. The Scarface finale is classic.

Not really a shootout but I love the bit in Predator where they destroy the jungle with gunfire trying to flush it out. The Matrix films have some good one's.

Love the one in Commando where he storms the villa.

I'd also like to give the final battle of Expendables 2 a mention because it's Sly, Arnie, Willis, Lundgren, Statham and more battling Jean Claude Van Damme. That fact alone just makes it brilliant to watch.
  • 1.Django Unchained
    2.Goldeneye
    3.Die Hard
    4.The World is Not Enough
    5.Tombstone
    6.True Lies
    7.Tomorrow Never Dies
    8.First Blood
    9.Matrix
    10.Desperado
    Just out of interest what shootouts are you counting in the 3 Bond films above?

The only ones I can think of are:

GE - the PTS, the archives and perhaps in the control room at the end.
    TND - PTS, the newspaper factory, on the stealth boat.
    TWINE - In the missile silo, the caviar factory.

Frankly none of those belong anywhere near a list of the best shooutouts of all time.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,189
    The Rock (final standoff with Ed Harris and his men)

Commando! Just hilarious. Not one bullet catches Arnie.

Terminator 2. Arnie with mini gun. Not sure if it qualiifies as a shootout but love it all the same.

Terminator 1 (police station shootout/massacre)

Scarface (Tony Montana's last stand)

Robocop (toxic waste)
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    And my winner is....

Hands down.

I'll second that, simple, yet most effective.
    zebrafish wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    And my winner is....

Hands down.

I'll second that, simple, yet most effective.

Editing at its finest!
    Unforgiven has a hell of an ending shootout with Clint being the classic cold badass he partly founded. Seriously, who else could take on a bar full of gun totting cowboys AND Gene Hackman but Clint?!
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    'Ronin' and 'The Kingdom' both contain really impressive realistic shoot outs in the vein of 'Heat'.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 5,767
    Miami Vice has a pretty decent shootout near the end. And a fantastic little massacre near the beginning.

Open Range has a wonderful shootout. The film in general comes along pretty laid-back, but the gunshots in the shootout are amongst the heaviest ever in any Hollywood film :-).
  • Open Range is great...I do like Faster with The Rock, the last 20 mins are awesome.
    @boldfinger, I love the finale shootout in 'Miami Vice.' Wonderful stuff. Speaking of Michael Mann, the nightclub shootout in 'Collateral' was wonderful. Tom Cruise really knows his moves.
  • BAIN123 wrote:
    The Rock (final standoff with Ed Harris and his men)

Commando! Just hilarious. Not one bullet catches Arnie.

Terminator 2. Arnie with mini gun. Not sure if it qualiifies as a shootout but love it all the same.

Terminator 1 (police station shootout/massacre)

Scarface (Tony Montana's last stand)

Robocop (toxic waste)

I was going to say, Commando. I saw this on release in 1985, and still think to this day, for pure violent, brainless action, you can't go much better than this. Schwarzenegger (at the same location of Beverly Hills Cop the year earlier), takes out about 500 guards (some of them killed many times over), and attacks people with machetes, pitchforks, and saw blades and f-ck knows what else, before a stare down with a hulking Freddie Mercury type adversary in leather pants and an Australian accent, who - 'Lets off some steam'

Damn great movie, but sadly dated

Scarface also worth a mention, Hard Target, Last Man Standing, The Untouchables, The Gauntlet, and The Good The Bad and The Ugly, as doubtless mentioned
    I really can't think of much new to add to this list. I will say, however, as a former Commissioned Officer in the United States Marine Corps, that the firefight in Heat had some surprisingly realistic detail. The combatants make good use of Fire and Movement.

I'll also give a shout out to the finale of The Replacement Killers, Antoine Fuqua's entertaining little John Woo pastiche.

As for shootouts in James Bond movies, the firefight in the Gypsy Camp in From Russia With Love is still my favorite, after all these years.
  • jka12002jka12002 Banned
    Dick Tracy - Epic gundown of 80% of the film's villians in one sequence.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Oh - and Bonnie and Clyde. Not a happy ending for the murdering pair, but it was stunning when it came out in the theatres and is still quite a finale.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    For A Few Dollars More
    and
    The Good The Bad And The Ugly
    and
    The Wild Bunch
    and
    De Palma's Scarface - so OTT!
    'Shane' with Alan Ladd. The final shootout has tremendous buildup with the wonderful soundtrack and camera work. The confrontation with Jack Palance is legendary and just when you think it's over..it's not.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    There's a great shoot out at the end of Way of the Gun. Worth checking out.