Can we PLEASE stop using so many abbreviations?!

2»

Comments

• Now we can violently agree. Long live "TheWizardOflc" !
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Villiers53 wrote:
    Now we can violently agree. Long live "TheWizardOflc" !

Finally you recognise my genius!
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    The Wizard is, not to sound too American, awesome :-)

In terms of abbreviations a friend once told me he was getting annoyed at my regular abbreviating for Bond films in texts :))
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, abbreviations are fine for me, once I got used to them. I don't use LOL, however; rather sick of that one. Movie titles abbreviated are helpful; no problem.

By the way, I am sure there is a Devil May Care discussion on the literary thread; just to say I enjoyed it much more than Carte Blanche - and we can continue that on the other thread ...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Villiers53 wrote:

Or, to be accurate to this thread: TWI. :P
    Villiers53 wrote:

Careful 0BM0Bf7...

This could get confusing though; picture the scene: 'TWI said that OHMSS was better than TMWTGG but 0BM0Bf7 disagreed.'

This is turning into a local forum for local people. If you cant understand our abbreviations theres nothing for you here.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited January 2013 Posts: 2,721
    Villiers53 wrote:

Careful 0BM0Bf7...

This could get confusing though; picture the scene: 'TWI said that OHMSS was better than TMWTGG but 0BM0Bf7 disagreed.'

This is turning into a local forum for local people. If you cant understand our abbreviations theres nothing for you here.

What's all this shouting?
    We'll have no trouble here!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm finding a hard time comprehending how someone who considers himself/herself such a Bond fan that they would join a Bond forum to discuss the world of 007 wouldn't be able to differentiate, with ease and speed, the difference between DN, TMWTGG, CR, etc.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 23,612
    I think this thread is going nowhere. It's the Internet. Anyone who's even remotely internet-savvy knows that abbreviations are inevitable. At least we try to use them consistently instead of making them up as we go.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Villiers53 wrote:

Careful 0BM0Bf7...

Ahhhhhhh! My brain is bleeding!!! ;)

But seriously, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using these abbreviations on the internet. It's not like we're truly saying them out loud. I'm typically a grammar-lover, which probably stems from my wanting to become a bestselling author, but reading it on the internet and reading it in a book or hearing it aloud are two different things. If I go to a forum and read "OMG, Lolz, lmfao" and other such phrases, I don't have much of a problem (I have far more problems with people who truly believe "The" is spelled "teh"), but if someone were to say aloud to me "Dude, TMWTGG (and I mean actually saying the abbreviation) was awesome! OMG, that scene with the Bond/midget fight made me lmfao!", then I will proceed to rip their eyes out with rusty pliers. On the internet, abbreviations are just common and acceptable.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I think this thread is going nowhere

On the contrary Darth. I think there's a good 3 or 4 pages worth of Wizard appreciation left in this.
    DarthDimi wrote:

On the contrary Darth. I think there's a good 3 or 4 pages worth of Wizard appreciation left in this.

But not even 100 pages could fully conclude the appreciation our Wizard deserves. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

But not even 100 pages could fully conclude the appreciation our Wizard deserves. ;-)

Monsieur Dimi youre spoiling me.

I'll go and get the pyramid of Fererro Rocher.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

Monsieur Dimi youre spoiling me.

I'll go and get the pyramid of Fererro Rocher.

Only PB (the well known abbreviation) would look good carrying a tray of Fererro Rocher.
    NicNac wrote:
    Only PB (the well known abbreviation) would look good carrying a tray of Fererro Rocher.

Pope Benedict? ;-)

• X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    I'll guess it is Pierce Brosnan :P
  • Ffs. Language evolves. This is another fad that became evident due to the rise of mobile phone. With mobile phones doing all the work for you now, text speak will go as quick as it came in.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    DarthDimi wrote:
    NicNac wrote:

Pope Benedict? ;-)

Everyone knows that PB refers to the Plywood Baron. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote:
    NicNac wrote:

Pope Benedict? ;-)

This is turning out to be Predictable Banter. Let's stop the spamming. :)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    NicNac wrote:

Pope Benedict? ;-)

This is turning out to be Predictable Banter. Let's stop the spamming. :)

That's a good idea.