Favourite Guy Who Played FELIX

Comments

• ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    I like Jeff...

"My friend, bring me one as well, keep the fruit."
    "I'm bleeding chips."
    "Does it look like we need the money? "
    Felix leiter is the one character from the books that has never really been well cast in the movies.Rik van Nutter was about the closest.Felix is JB's'one true friend in the world and therefore plays an important role.Wrights portrayal is nothing like the original character as a brash Texan.i am still waiting for that comaraderie between the two on screen.LTK came closest to this.I think Kevin Bacon would be the closest visually to the original FL.

Good call on Kevin Bacon. I think another who might strike the right note as friend and ally of Bond would be John Cusack, if a big enough role could be found for Leiter.
    I always think of Hedison, probably because I have seen LALD so many times, I'm suprised he didn't pop up again in the Moore era.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    blakewho wrote:
    Felix leiter is the one character from the books that has never really been well cast in the movies.Rik van Nutter was about the closest.Felix is JB's'one true friend in the world and therefore plays an important role.Wrights portrayal is nothing like the original character as a brash Texan.i am still waiting for that comaraderie between the two on screen.LTK came closest to this.I think Kevin Bacon would be the closest visually to the original FL.

Good call on Kevin Bacon. I think another who might strike the right note as friend and ally of Bond would be John Cusack, if a big enough role could be found for Leiter.

Isnt Kevin a bit old now? I'm thinkig Aaron Eckhart. Rather pretty boy looks but hes actually a decent actor.
    blakewho wrote:

Isnt Kevin a bit old now? I'm thinkig Aaron Eckhart. Rather pretty boy looks but hes actually a decent actor.

Bacon is too old and too big an actor. There's nothing wrong with Wright. I think he should continue to play Felix, and I hope that he does, and that Felix has a big role in Bond 24. 007 in New York City anyone?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    So far, Jack Lord has taken a number 1 spot. Terry has received zero votes.
    Bernie Casey by far.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I do like Jeffrey's take on the character, his personality. I hope he continues, I really do . "Does we look like we need the money?"
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I myself am partial to three Felix's.

1) Jeffery Wright: I find him the best Felix, though I wish he'd had more screen time in QOS.
    2) David Hedison: I didn't care for him in LALD, but I liked him in LTK, particularly in the opening. That, I felt, was the only time that Bond and Felix seemed like friends in the whole of the franchise, before Wright came on the scene.
    3) Norman Burton: I liked his "I don't care" attitude throughout the whole film. I've never understood this Felix's personality, but I liked it.

Of the rest of the Felix's. Jack Lord and the guy who played him in Thunderball probably did second best (compared to my top three). Cec Linder and the guy who played him in TLD just plain sucked (especially Cec Linder, Felix Leiter should never look as old as M). And I don't count the NSNA Felix.
  • Interesting to read the comments - there's almost as wide a range of opinion on Felixs (Felixi?) as there are on Bonds!

Looks like most people would disagree with me, but I thought that the perfect Felix would be if you could take Cec Linder's performance and put it in Rik Van Nutter's body. The TB Felix had the right look but his performance was...okay. Linder captured Felix's "cracking wise" personality wonderfully but looked far too old for Felix.

Jack Lord was good but he came off a bit too serious and trying too hard to be so. Shame he got greedy and didn't continue; I'd have loved to have the same continuity with Felix as we got with M, Q, and Moneypenny. I've not seen NSNA since it came out but I remember being very surprised at how much I liked Casey's Felix. Back in '83 it seemed revolutionary to have a black Felix but I recall that he gave the strongest and, well, coolest performance of the character - the only one that seemed like he was Bond's equal. That was probably the first time that I realized that an actor didn't have to look like a character in a book to be effective in a film.

Having recently reread all of the Fleming novels I think that it would be very tricky to bring a true-to-Fleming Felix to the screen. He's such a big talker and such a constant joke machine that you need a really gifted actor to make him enjoyable and not annoying. I agree that Kevin Bacon would have been a great choice in years past but I think his time has gone. Although his Felix is much more dry than Fleming's I do quite like Wright in the role - he brings a lot of personality to it and it's nice to see some continuity to the character. It would be great to see him and Craig's Bond together in Bond 24 and to see them relaxing and enjoying each other's company, much like the characters did in the books.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Interesting to read the comments - there's almost as wide a range of opinion on Felixs (Felixi?) as there are on Bonds!

Oh, God, could it be? There's an entire colony of Felix Leiters out there, somewhere, just waiting to be picked as the next Felix in a film? My Lord, you may have just discovered a new species.
    That was probably the first time that I realized that an actor didn't have to look like a character in a book to be effective in a film.

What about the previous Bond films? Very rarely, when I'm reading the books, do I feel the description matches the eventual actor.

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    dragonsky wrote:
    <blockquote rel="DaltonCraig007"><blockquote rel="dragonsky">John Terry</blockquote>

Haha you never cease to make interesting choices, dragonsky !! :-bd </blockquote>
    lol i think he was ok in matter of fact i think that he would made great leiter right now

I like John Terry too. I think he matched well with Dalts, was more in keeping with Fleming's version and should have played the role in LTK in stead of Granddad Felix Hedison!
    Other favs are Nutter and Lord, shame he wasn't in Goldfinger.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    What do you think, if Leiter is in Bond 24. Is Wright the man to continue the role? I certainly hope so, and I think he is an wonderful actor even in his non-Bond work.

And if Leiter is in 007 Legends at the LTK mission, does he going to have the looks of Wright?
  • MrBond wrote:
    And if Leiter is in 007 Legends at the LTK mission, does he going to have the looks of Wright?

I don't think they'll include him, just like I don't think they'll include Bond getting married in OHMSS. But then, I could be wrong.

Anyway, I'll go for Hedison in LTK. Just watch the wedding scenes or the bit where Bond finds him after the shark attack, you really think they're friends.
    Bernie Casey is funny, stylish and you get a sense that he's a pretty cool spy in his own right. Most of the other Felixes don't look like they could be CIA operatives. Jack Lord's cool as well.
    I think Cec Linder was great, but yes, perhaps a little old. Rik Van Nutter on the other hand I thought sounded wooden several times in TB. But Bernie Casey was the coolest and best IMO. He was pure swagger.
    Hedison was the worst, just too irritating for me, especially in Live and Let Die. Linder was also annoying, just another black mark for Goldfinger. I feel inclined to say Terry, only the one appearance, but I always found him easy to watch. They waited so long to bring him back and Wright did an adequate job (I didn't care too much that Leiter was now colored, it was not a pivotal character in the series)
    Jack Lord- worked both sides of buddy and professional agent quite well; sometimes lacked in the former a little bit, but nonetheless convincing

Cec Linder- served the purpose of Bond's buddy very well, but lacked the edge and professional approach of Jack Lord; also, he was a little too old to be taken seriously as Felix

Rik Van Nutter- well-balanced between the buddy approach and the professional agent approach, in fact, one of the only ones to nail it nearly perfectly. The only qualm about Nutter is his acting, which at some points seems very wooden and uncomfortable.

Norman Burton- always seemed like he hated being there and was fed up with 007; not really either the buddy or the professional agent, as he is sometimes struggling to convince me of the latter throughout DAF

David Hedison- certainly one of the more stand-out Felix actors, and well-deserved too; he performed the role of friend and agent equally well, with top marks to the former of the two; he got stale and leaned towards the cheesy side during LTK, which is a bit ironic, but nonetheless performed better than some of the others like Burton, Linder and Terry for sure.

John Terry- the fact of the matter is, with only one major scene, he doesn't leave a big impression for us to go on, and therefore leaves us to judge him by only one scene; with that scene, he did capture the crucial spirit of acting as both friend and agent, and I think if he had gone on to LTK he could have been one of the best

Jeffrey Wright- an excellent actor who was well-chosen for the part of Felix. There are really no bad marks here, I mean he pulls off his role and lines just remarkably!

Bernie Casey- could be a bit cheesy at times, but nonetheless was actually a pretty great Felix, who demonstrated his professionalism nearly the best, and was also a convincing friend. (interestingly enough, he's the only Felix to have ever engaged in a battle with 007!)

My Felix Rankings:

1. David Hedison
    2. Jeffrey Wright
    3. Rik Van Nutter
    4. Jack Lord
    5. Bernie Casey
    6. John Terry
    7. Cec Linder
    8. Norman Burton
    Jack Lord
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    Hedison and Wright.
  • David Hedison for me, most likable.
    1. Jeffrey Wright
    2. Rik Van Nutter
    3. David Hedison (weak in LALD but redeems himself in LTK)
    4. Jack Lord

The rest are nameless faceless jerks offs. especially that clown in GF
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    1. Jeffrey Wright
    2. Rik Van Nutter
    3. David Hedison (weak in LALD but redeems himself in LTK)
    4. Jack Lord

The rest are nameless faceless jerks offs. especially that clown in GF

Very much true, with Hedison.
    The 4 i like are (in order): Jack Lord, David Hedison, Rick Van Nutter and Jeffery Wright.

I'm not a big fan of Norman Burton or Cec Linder. And John Terry is my least favourite mainly because its blink and you'll miss him, very underwritten in TLD.
  • I always had a soft spot for Rick Van Nutter. Jack Lord was great too. But I believe Jeffrey Wright, although very different to how Fleming described, has given him the most interesting portrayal thus far. Not to mention that he is easily the best actor to have played the role.
    1. Jack Lord, the first and the original...and looked the part too.
    2. David Hedison, felt like Bond's friend and ally
    3. Rik Van Nutter, same as Hedison. A bit goofy though
    4. Jeffrey Wright, good actor, but I haven't seen this Felix as Bond's friend. Colleague and Ally yes. I hope they'll bring him back for Bond 24 if Daniel's still playing Bond
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 1,310
    I've always thought that Jack Lord and Jeffery Wright were the most convincing. (Ironically they play very different characters.) Would have liked if Lord came back in the later Connery films, but alas, Jack Lord was meant for Hawaii Five-O! ;)
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    Well for me, my favorite Felix are David Hedison, Jack Lord, and Jeffrey Wright. The other well, it's a hit or miss.

For future Felix, I would like Jon Hamm from Mad Men to that role. Aaron Eckhart could be also be a good Felix (if Christopher Nolan direct the next Bond film).
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The Hedisonator.
  • Jeffrey Wright. I didn't think any Leiter could be cooler than Jack Lord, but he had me at "Hold the fruit." He was one of the main highlights of QoS; his arc single-handedly makes the film a lot more interesting than it would be otherwise.

Hedison would be my second pick. He just seems like such a likable guy, and he had a great chemistry with Moore (even though they hardly had any face time). My only gripe with him is that ending hospital room scene in LTK - "Sure, my wife was raped and murdered. Wanna go fishing next week?" I don't know if he was directed to play it that way or what, but it's just brutal.