Brad Whitaker and General Georgi Koskov in The Living Daylights?

2»

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    It's a fictional "dress-up" uniform (no doubt designed by Whitaker), for a non-existent private army.

And as far as Koscov being "too funny" -- it's an act. He's playing the buffoon somewhat to hoodwink MI6. The real Koscov comes to the fore during the cargo plane flight from Tangier to Afghanistan.

It is an act, but he is also a bit of a buffoon, as witnessed in scenes by the pool with Whittaker. But that's part of his character, he's 3 dimensional. Any good villain should have light and dark shades.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited October 2017 Posts: 1,984
    Koskov had some good depth but his betrayal was too early/obvious and he became pretty forgettable afterward. Whitaker had some good development that was cut from his scene with Pushkin. He ended up being colourless.

The final result was that the pair of villains were some of the weakest. Bond coming up against Whitaker at the end had nearly no tension in my opinion. It would've been much better if we had a final confrontation between Bond and Koskov. At least something like the way Bond confronted Elektra at the end before fighting Renard in TWINE.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I like them although they're not the standard megalomaniac villains, but then they're not supposed to be. They serve the plot perfectly well and their scheme is a good one (They fool everyone except Bond)

The climax with Bond fighting Necros on the plane is my favourite of the series.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I don't mind Georgi - not the strongest of villains, and somewhat amusing in parts, but Whitaker could've been utilized better. Luckily, Necros compensates as a solid henchman.

One thing that always bothered me is how Whitaker brushes off the fact he's in deep trouble when Bond says, "You're finished, Whitaker. If the Russians don't get you, the Americans will." He simply replies with, "Nah." A bizarre response, it almost seems like the writers couldn't think of anything better for him to say. He's so blasé about it, what back-up plan does he have that he's not telling us about?