SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

JWESTBROOK wrote:
    To keep us on some sort of topic...

We almost had Gala Brand up to the last minute in 2002, and now with the powers that be searching for a British main Bond Girl, do we think we'll finally get Gala Brand or Loelia Ponsonby in a Bond film?

I'd love to see them, but right now it is unlikely I think. Anyway, this is speculation, not news.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 5,745
    Ludovico wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

We almost had Gala Brand up to the last minute in 2002, and now with the powers that be searching for a British main Bond Girl, do we think we'll finally get Gala Brand or Loelia Ponsonby in a Bond film?

I'd love to see them, but right now it is unlikely I think. Anyway, this is speculation, not news.

I believe speculation based on news is called discussion ;)

You all were speculating up a storm over the past 3 pages.
    True, but it was not in the title. I came on this thread all excited. Loelia in a Bond movie at last? I was disappointed.
  • RC7RC7
    edited April 2014 Posts: 10,512
    Ludovico wrote:
    True, but it was not in the title. I came on this thread all excited. Loelia in a Bond movie at last? I was disappointed.

Yeah, to be fair, the title is completely misleading. If you're going to update the title, at least use some level of judgement.
    Yes, this is no news, nobody mentioned in the medias any of these Bond girls.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote:
    Yes, this is no news, nobody mentioned in the medias any of these Bond girls.

It's just hyperbole at its finest.
    RC7 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Yeah, to be fair, the title is completely misleading. If you're going to update the title, at least use some level of judgement.

Thirded.

RC7 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Thirded.

Fourthed!

Saw the thread change and thought wow? Have they officially released some info which I would have been amazed at to be honest!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Dragonpol wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I certainly hope so, though Camille and no sexual involvement with Bond did recall Gala Brand from the MR novel a tad.
    That's really the only connection they share, though: not sleeping with Bond. With Gala she flat out drops Bond hard like a sack of potatoes. I could see the team creating a character like Gala that breaks Bond's heart at the end of the film, but I'd hate it since the guy deserves a time to be happy for once as credits roll.

With Camille she didn't sleep with Bond out of a sort of respect she had for him and an acceptance that her long mission against Medrano was over, her kiss to Bond an emotional thanks of sorts for all he did for her; I don't think they ever had a sexual connection together and I'm glad that it wasn't forced by EON just to have another sex scene in the film. Part of the reason why I love Camille so much is because she and Bond have an interesting relationship separate from many of the other Bond girls, where the girl doesn't automatically fall into Bond's arms at his every command or anything like that. Camille had a great reverence for Bond and for all that he did for her to get at Medrano, and their relationship was more friendly than sexual at the end of it all. I would love to see Camille back though to sort of reconnect with her character if Quantum is again a threat.

I just think Gala and Camille are very dissimilar, especially since Gala flat out turns Bond down while sex isn't even brought up once between Camille and Bond; it just wasn't a thought between the two. Like I said previously, they are more friends than lovers, though I would love to see the two go beyond that if she were to return later.
    I said it in other threads and will say it here: have a TB novel ending, with Bond ending with the Bond girl, but with a feeling of urgency and after a terrible ordeal. It would work great with Craig's Bond.
    Do we think Scandinavia will serve as a location due to the fact that two Scandinavian actresses have been approached.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I think it's a safe bet. Couple that with the news of the skiing and it's almost certain, I believe.
  • RC7RC7
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I think it's a safe bet. Couple that with the news of the skiing and it's almost certain, I believe.

Agreed. The only other option is that the villain is Scandinavian and thus a Scandi agent has been dispatched to apprehend him. But my gut suggests a Scandinavian country as a location and that excites me. Maybe I'll get my 'wing-suit' action scene wish.
    Risico007 wrote:
    Do we think Scandinavia will serve as a location due to the fact that two Scandinavian actresses have been approached.
    We can't really presume. The Bond girls nationality is rarely an indication of the setting. Beside its not because the actress is Scandinavian that the character will be. I'd love to see Scandinavia in Bond movies, but so far it is wishful thinking.
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    We can't really presume. The Bond girls nationality is rarely an indication of the setting. Beside its not because the actress is Scandinavian that the character will be. I'd love to see Scandinavia in Bond movies, but so far it is wishful thinking.

Also true. I do however think it's slightly more revealing as Scandinavia has less ties territorially than many of its European neighbours and its people are very aesthetically distinct. Take Severine for example - we don't learn her nationality but one might presume she is Portuguese, given Silva's heritage and thus the use of 'Macau'.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 14,825
    RC7 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:

Also true. I do however think it's slightly more revealing as Scandinavia has less ties territorially than many of its European neighbours and its people are very aesthetically distinct. Take Severine for example - we don't learn her nationality but one might presume she is Portuguese, given Silva's heritage and thus the use of 'Macau'.

I thought Severine, with her name and features, was a European and Chinese mix, maybe Spanish/Chinese or Portuguese/Chinese.

But anyway, Scandinavian actresses rarely played Scandinavian Bond girls, if at all. Northern beauties, certainly, but not many Scandinavians. And, although Scandinavia would be a great setting, both for aesthetic as thematic reasons, there is one potential obstacle: Scandinavia is expensive, and thus it may be expensive to shoot there. Of course, another country can pass as Scandinavia, but still.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I certainly hope so, though Camille and no sexual involvement with Bond did recall Gala Brand from the MR novel a tad.
    That's really the only connection they share, though: not sleeping with Bond. With Gala she flat out drops Bond hard like a sack of potatoes. I could see the team creating a character like Gala that breaks Bond's heart at the end of the film, but I'd hate it since the guy deserves a time to be happy for once as credits roll.

With Camille she didn't sleep with Bond out of a sort of respect she had for him and an acceptance that her long mission against Medrano was over, her kiss to Bond an emotional thanks of sorts for all he did for her; I don't think they ever had a sexual connection together and I'm glad that it wasn't forced by EON just to have another sex scene in the film. Part of the reason why I love Camille so much is because she and Bond have an interesting relationship separate from many of the other Bond girls, where the girl doesn't automatically fall into Bond's arms at his every command or anything like that. Camille had a great reverence for Bond and for all that he did for her to get at Medrano, and their relationship was more friendly than sexual at the end of it all. I would love to see Camille back though to sort of reconnect with her character if Quantum is again a threat.

I just think Gala and Camille are very dissimilar, especially since Gala flat out turns Bond down while sex isn't even brought up once between Camille and Bond; it just wasn't a thought between the two. Like I said previously, they are more friends than lovers, though I would love to see the two go beyond that if she were to return later.

I totally agree with you, Brady.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2014 Posts: 28,694
    I saw Severine as a mix of French and Chinese, maybe some Vietnamese too considering it was once under French rule.

Just did a search:

"Marlohe was born in Paris, France. Her father, a doctor, is of Chinese and Cambodian descent, while her mother, a teacher, is French. She originally held aspirations of becoming a pianist, as well as an artist, studying at the prestigious French arts school Conservatoire de Paris for ten years."

From Wikipedia.
    I saw Severine as a mix of French and Chinese, maybe some Vietnamese too considering it was once under French rule.

Just did a search:

"Marlohe was born in Paris, France. Her father, a doctor, is of Chinese and Cambodian descent, while her mother, a teacher, is French. She originally held aspirations of becoming a pianist, as well as an artist, studying at the prestigious French arts school Conservatoire de Paris for ten years."

From Wikipedia.

One instance when the background of the actress could be the same as the background of the Bond girl.
    Ludovico wrote:

Just did a search:

From Wikipedia.

One instance when the background of the actress could be the same as the background of the Bond girl.

Fleming would love that mix of bloods: 1/4 Cambodian, 1/4 Chinese and 1/2 French.

Ludovico wrote:

Just did a search:

From Wikipedia.

Fleming would love that mix of bloods: 1/4 Cambodian, 1/4 Chinese and 1/2 French.

She was born to play a Bond girl, plain and simple.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe

Just did a search:

From Wikipedia.

But considering she was Macaoese, I agree with @RC7, she was probably supposed to be of Portuguese background. Although the name Severine is French sounding, Severina was a common name in the old days (not any more). As an example of Chinese-Portuguese ancestry woman see this former model called China Machado, she reminds me a lot of Severine actually. I wonder if she might have been a visual inspiration.
    We are getting off topic, but I can't help noticing that Silva seemed to be francophile. Just like Le Chiffre, actually. And Greene was of course French, or at least French speaker.

Back on topic: should we expect this of the villain for Bond 24?
    Ludovico wrote:
    We are getting off topic, but I can't help noticing that Silva seemed to be francophile. Just like Le Chiffre, actually. And Greene was of course French, or at least French speaker.

Other than Greene being played by a French actor (though we don't know if the character was French), the name Le Chiffre being French and Silva enjoying the song Boum I think your claim that the 3 were francophiles is a bit thin. If the casting of Chiwetel Ejiofor (now that's what I call a mouthful of a name) is confirmed I wouldn't expect anything francophile either.
    Sandy wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Other than Greene being played by a French actor (though we don't know if the character was French), the name Le Chiffre being French and Silva enjoying the song Boum I think your claim that the 3 were francophiles is a bit thin. If the casting of Chiwetel Ejiofor (now that's what I call a mouthful of a name) is confirmed I wouldn't expect anything francophile either.

Le Chiffre was also watching French news. And Silva had a mistress who may be French, or at least had a French accent. His first name Raoul, is also French instead of Spanish. Greene may not have been French, he was certainly a native French speaker. Okay, francophile may be strong, but they still seemed to have some link with French culture, especially the first two. But there's nothing more French than Charles Trenet.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Sliva was spanish because his real name Is Taigo Rodriguez.
    How many times have we gone through this, Silva was supposed to be Portuguese, from Azores!
    Murdock wrote:
    Sliva was spanish because his real name Is Taigo Rodriguez.

I know he was. With some British connections somehow, if he became a MI6 agent (Gibraltar, maybe?). But his nom de guerre had at least one French spelling: Raoul instead of Raul.
    Sandy wrote:
    How many times have we gone through this, Silva was supposed to be Portuguese, from Azores!

Was he?
  • ElegantCarverElegantCarver Banned
    Chiwetel (my friends and I call him Chi, this can not be addressed or up for discussion) is too young to be the central villain. I prefer to see corporate structure of SPECTRE in Thunderball - Blofeld CEO, Largo is Project manager. I like to see Chi as Project Manager for Bond 24, with a brains behind him, and now take this opportunity to call for Eon to incorporate this into the script.
    Trust him. He knows.

8-}