Brosnan's Bond movies need to be respected dispite certain issues with their respective contents.

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited December 2012 in Actors Posts: 17,691
Okay, reset button.
Please people, Brosnan may not be your favourite Bond but trashing him constantly is what my thread here was trying to (in its admittedly ham-fisted, clumsy way) make fun of, and hopefully curb to some small degree.
He was our 007 for seven years, and I for one loved him.

Comments

• I agree with you in every single way, excep that where you say Pierce, I say Tim :)
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Oh please. I respect others opions but isn't this taking this too far? Brosnans movies were hugely succesfull and to a amount even entertaining.
    But a pure hate thread is just ridicoulous!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Tim had a scene with Madonna???
  • MrBond wrote:
    Oh please. I respect others opions but isn't this taking this too far? Brosnans movies were hugely succesfull and to a amount even entertaining.

@chrisisall Likes Brosnan. I think he's just doing it to take the piss out of the OTT ammount of hate he gets on this site.
    edited December 2012 Posts: 17,691
    MrBond wrote:
    AHEM- this is not a hate thread, this is a dislike-with-a-passion thread.
    It has heretofore been too widely spread out and clearly needs to be concentrated in one place so as not to dilute its intensity.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    chrisisall wrote:
    MrBond wrote:
    AHEM- this is not a hate thread, this is a dislike-with-a-passion thread.
    It has heretofore been too widely spread out and clearly needs to be concentrated in one place so as not to dilute its intensity.

Yeah, same thing different name. The Brosnan hate is going to carry on, just as people disliked Dalton when Brosnan were Bond and as people were disliking Moore when Dalton was Bond. There are always going to be complaints, it just depends on how loudly the different nay-sayers are.

Speaking of loud, Brosnan's voice was too high-pitched, and his eyebrows didn't match his forehead, and his left nostril was smaller than his right!!!
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 11,425
    The thread and premise is too bland and weak - a bit like Brosnan really. We need a thread that properly articulates the depths to which Pierce sunk. None of this equivocal vague stuff please. Where's the real bile and vitriol?
    Getafix wrote:
    The thread and premise is to bland and weak
    Site rules and general decorum did not allow me to use the proper expletives in the title to express the fierceness of our dislike of the man, the actor, and his rubbish psuedo-entries into the otherwise pristine Bond franchise.
    Ah yes. That is true. Expressing our true feelings will bring down the wrath of the mods. I wonder what Brozza's wrath is like? Pathetic I bet!
    Yes, like Lin's weak kung-fu!
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    It doesen't bode well for this thread i'm afraid. Let's see the expression, damaged goods!
  • AliAli
    I take it I'm not allowed to start a "Connory was just a smug git in a suit" thread?
    Ali wrote:
    I take it I'm not allowed to start a "Connory was just a smug git in a suit" thread?
    NO. Only Brosnan deserves a dislike thread.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 5,745
    A discussion can only be discussed if there are points to be made on both arguments.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Get over yourself.
    I don't need to get over myself, I need to get over the near decade long pain caused me by Pierce Brosnan! I attempted to sue him personally for it, but wouldn't you know, no lawyer out there with the guts to take it to court!
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    No need for this thread.
    *AND* If you love Brosnan so much, maybe you shouldn't post in a thread identifying him as the most disliked Bond of past, present & future. Just sayin'.
    We don't need this thread because we already had a great discussion going highlighting BOTH the good and bad things about his run as Bond. We don't need a just bad or just good thread.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    What is wrong with you? Did your age drop drastically?
    Yep. Personal attacks when real discussion fails. I'm sorry YOU don't see the total FAIL in Brosnan like EVERYONE ELSE HERE SEEMS TO, but that's not MY problem, now is it? :))
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    edited December 2012 Posts: 2,635
    We don't need a thread like that. And just because we like Brosnan, doesn't mean we can't fight to make things right in his defense. And, x2 on @JWESTBROOK.

AND I AM SEEING A PROBABLE FIGHT HERE. No fighting. We don't need that.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Ooo good an arguement/verbal slug-fest about Brosnan. How original. :))
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    Oh get off it. Brosnan was fine in the role just like every other actor was and is.
    I don't understand why we need to have polar threads for the same topic.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Flagged.
    Know what? I don't really give a toss. This thread will certainly be closed, and I might even get banned, but if I do I hopefully will have made the endless, tiresome Brosnan Bashing look just that tiny little bit more ridiculous.
    ALL the actors to play Bond had their individual greatness to them.
    ALL of them deserve our respect & gratitude for a job well done, no matter the circumstances of their contributions.
    Brosnan was great in his way, and that's the last thing I have to say on this thread.
    Peace.
  • Yes. Brosnan is probably the weakest Bond. Does that make him bad? No. I really do enjoy his movies, especially TND and TWINE. I don't really approve of the kind of Bond he's playing, but meh.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    How do you make a thread and say that his movies need to be Destroyed, then says that he was great in his way?

For God Sake, stop with your contraditoriousness.
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    How do you make a thread and say that his movies need to be Destroyed, then says that he was great in his way?

For God Sake, stop with your contraditoriousness.

This whole thread is a poor bit of immature sarcasm.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm sure this thread will be closed soon. It's pointless, as it will only induce fights. What a joke.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 23,561
    Fellas, level with me. We're not even halfway through the first page in this thread and already we can deduce that nothing but sour hyperboles, obvious sarcasm, deliberate Brosnan bashing and angry counter-posts will be spawned here. In fact, not a single reasonably neutral, informative and well argumented post can be found, which - by the way - anyone with a certain appreciation for good forum practice could have instantaneously predicted when reading the thread's title.

Add to that the obviously oversimplifying statement that we, mods, will not allow this ushering in of personal thoughts, which narrows the purpose of this thread down to pure mod provocation for some. The sparse bitterness which has unfortunately survived the battlefields of our tumultuous SF conflicts continues to cloud certain minds. You see, mods will never block members of this forum from expressing their thoughts, no matter how personal, but all depends on how it is done and on where the thoughts, as expressed, will take us.

Allow me to explain... again.
    1) When one feels the need to criticise some part of the Bond franchise, one must first seek out the proper thread. We already have the 'controversial opinions' thread, for example, and a couple of extra threads to choose from, in which one can play things closer to the subject. For instance, multiple Brosnan related threads exist. A thread which is started now as nothing but an anti-Brosnan pamphlet, will, because of the available alternatives, be swiftly considered to be either an impulsive action in a moment of emotional weakness, or a poor attempt to provoke aggressive responses which can then, in turn, be met with the desired level of aggression themselves. Such a fierce reception can only be avoided if one takes the trouble to write down one's arguments like a well-constructed micro-essay in a thread which has already established the possibility of doing so. By the way, the same goes for threads which are a blunt yet empty love letter to a specific element in the Bond franchise. They too seem to contribute fairly little to our forum and are sometimes intended to stir things up with those who have previously expressed a lack of appreciation for said element.

2) Even if the topic of a thread can somehow be made sufficiently unique and stand-alone to justify its existence, the title of such a thread makes all the difference in the world. Allow me, please, to use an analogy. If your club house puts a line in its mission statement saying you're all about one particular political wing and anti the other, and you do so without manifestly upsetting the other wing, those who are in your camp will visit and take part in your activities, and those who aren't may either pass on the occasion or drop by as well, but with a level of modesty. However, if you hang large banners outside, calling the other camp names or verbally condemning it to the darkest ends of the universe, you intentionally try to light certain fuses. If you are unable to understand that, then you are ignorant - it should be said. Now, returning to our situation here, I can't stress enough how much we, mods, are open to the idea of "niche" threads, where a group, no matter how large or small, can freely blow off some steam vis-a-vis a particular element in the Bond franchise. That said, I similarly can't stress enough how much we effort to keep the hallways of our forum clean of disturbing and polarizing slogans. The inflections as present in the title of a thread can make all the difference.

3) Still, while the thread's title may offer a level of respect to everyone by not including overtly spiteful phrases, the activities it presents inside still require a minimal stretch of decency. After all, you are allowed some freedom within the walls of your club house too, but you can't break certain laws. Now, it's hard sometimes to draw a line in that situation, I will honestly admit that, in which case the mods, contrary to some biased belief, always allow our members the benefit of the doubt. In other words, we jump into action when things have already gone too far, rather than being too careful and shutting the place down without any real harm done. I don't even know if that's necessarily a good thing; it merely demonstrates that we do give chances and a lot of credit to our members before stepping in. We're no police, mind, we're only here to make sure that we all, being guests to the people who set up this forum and who labour every day to keep it alive and fuelled with fresh information, behave according to the terms and conditions of the forum, to which we all agreed, it should be said, when accepting our membership. Thus, when posts come with nasty subtexts (although they are mostly very unsubtle about their deliberately provocative nature), we fear they will ignite a lot of turmoil, ending in constant bickering and a linear sequence of warnings and possibly even suspensions and bans being handed out. We really don't like to do that but sometimes it is made mandatory through some member's stubbornness. Closing down an inflammable thread that scores too high a potential for causing a lot of forum trouble and personal attacks, is a matter of precaution for the sake of everyone involved (emphasis on 'everyone'). It is not a fascist form of censorship from us. And as explained a few lines back, we will already have carefully assessed the thread before we call it inflammable and consider it prudent to have it shut down.

Please understand that debates between members with conflicting views and opinions are a welcome and essential element for a forum like this. No matter how controversial a Bond-related opinion is, it can be safely expressed. But the member who states his opinion in absolute terms, using hyperbolic phrases clearly meant to upset others, or pouring in sarcasm or targeting certain folks, is always the weaker one in such debates. Sometimes the weaker one is the one who starts the debate and sometimes it's the one who does a poor job countering it. A word of advice: you feel angry about something? Type it down in as neutral a manner as possible. Don't withhold your thoughts, just state them in such a way that the chances of being personally attacked on the matter are kept minimal. That way you've gotten your frustrations out of your system but you're leaving others little room to attack you. Truth be told, this very post of mine has grown out of pure frustration on behalf of this thread, its title and how its few posts so far contain nothing but vitriol and not a single serious argument or counterargument. Yet I think I've not done such a bad job at stating my thoughts and at the same time defending the mod's policy when the ground becomes too unstable for comfort. That way, I invite anyone who feels insulted by my post to openly say so. This is how you debate something whilst not losing the battle before you've even started it. Sadly, however, the very premise of this thread (its title + its initial post(s)) has drawn blood without giving this thread a fair chance of allowing all of us to drop by and leave again unscathed.

So, where do we stand? I shall for now leave this thread open, allowing its contributors to prove that it's earned its existence in this adult forum for Bond fans. The title can be rephrased and certain posts can be edited or put up for deletion. If, however, in due time it is still nothing but a collection of clumsy and childish 'you are so-and-so' versus 'no, YOU are so-and-so' posts, it will be terminated. Ultimately, it so far hasn't even lived up to its poorly phrased title.

I believe we're being very fair here. It's up to you now. Thanks in advance.
    Thank you, DarthDimi, for your totally EXCELLENT attention and eloquent response. Really, I never expected this thread to last beyond a few posts, and that it has is a testament to the openness here at MI6. Seriously, this thread has more than made its point IMO, and closing it would be no source of ire for anyone here.
    I did change the title and the opening post for what it's worth to reflect the true objective of my thread.

This discussion has been closed.