Let's hear it for Rory Kinnear as Tanner!

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Rory Kinnear as Tanner is the worst element of the Craig era for me. He lacks charisma, screen presence and any ounce of interest whatsover.

Another prospective Wizlam follower methinks?
    Rory Kinnear as Tanner is [img][/img]
    the worst element of the Craig era for me. He lacks charisma, screen presence and any ounce of interest whatsover.

Another prospective Wizlam follower methinks?

Nope. I'm only 007 follower :P
    Librarian wrote: »
    I like Rory Kinnear as Tanner. For me he's a great minor character from MI6 crew.
    Maybe not on the same level as M or Ms. Moneypenny but I still like him enough to wish him to return in Bond 25

???
    I know that my english isn't very good so forgive me mr barryt007.

I don't think it's your English he's bemused by, more the fact that anyone can think Rory is great.
    Thank you for information and explanation :)

And BTW I don't think Rory Kinnear is great in Bond films. For me he's a good enough to be a background recurring character.

I don't think it's your English he's bemused by, more the fact that anyone can think Rory is great.

You're English is excellent @Librarian,as the Wiz said,im just bemused.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Kitchen.

Perfect...wasted.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    He was a fine Tanner in those movies but ever since I watched him go to town on a pig in Black Mirror I can't look at him the same anymore.
    Haha!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Kitchen.

Perfect...wasted.

Now, I find Kitchen far more annoying than Kinnear (who is very good in other roles). Michael Kitchen is..exactly the same...in every role...with an annoying habit of...pausing during line delivery.

Tanner = Foyle = Jack Turner = everyone else he has played.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

And BTW I don't think Rory Kinnear is great in Bond films. For me he's a good enough to be a background recurring character.

He's not even good enough to be a background non speaking extra.

NicNac wrote: »
    Kitchen.

Perfect...wasted.

Now, I find Kitchen far more annoying than Kinnear (who is very good in other roles). Michael Kitchen is..exactly the same...in every role...with an annoying habit of...pausing during line delivery.

His line delivery is why I like him
    Kitchen was far superior as Tanner.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Kinnear is a fantastic Tanner, and he should be told in person. Anyone has his adress?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Kinnear is a fantastic Tanner, and he should be told in person. Anyone has his adress?
    He is. But he's been totally wasted as Tanner.

It used to be Vauxhall Cross but who knows now ?

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2017 Posts: 4,437
    He always be around..

659419.jpg
    Take a look of what happend with Bond

9ea974bf0555f4edbf57147b29bff497.jpg
    Waiting on Bond after he brings him with boat.

Q-Corduroy-Collar-Suit-Spectre.jpg
    Stil waiting on Bond. Are he expect that Bond wil return wih him.
    Bond take the car.

In QOS he was not fan of Dench M. But he is fan of Q and Bond. In Skyfall he was there when new M returns with his broken arm and he was with Bond, M and Eve and looks happy then. He hated Dench M.

Moost of time he is in London exept QOS. But he was new and against Bond in that movie, till he made a switch later in SF. Tanner was worried in court scene, yes i also think he be afraid for him self.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 5,131

HM Prison Pentonville is an English Category B/C men's prison, operated by Her Majesty's Prison Service. Address: Caledonian Rd, London N7 8TT.

He is serving a life sentence for crimes against the Bond franchise and for being the worst Tanner thus far.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited October 2017 Posts: 6,778
    Correction, the worst MI6 staff member in Bond history.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 9,117

Whoa which are the very good Rory Kinnear performances? I've got to hear this.

There's a thing about Lord Lucan on Netflix I watched the other day (craftily they have Rory posing with Christopher Eccleston on the poster so you assume he will be playing the lead) and if you read anything about Lucan he was this high living gambler who was popular and the life and soul.*

So to have him played by Rory just killed the whole thing stone dead as when Eccleston's character comes out with stuff like 'He's a great bloke and we're going to stick up for him' you find yourself thinking 'No he's not. He's a crushing bore who keeps bleating about his wife.' Now maybe that's the script's fault but it can't always be the script can it?

Watching Rory in anything is like trying to eat your way through a pack of Ryvita without being allowed a glass of water.

* In Lucan's wiki it even goes so far as to state the following:

'His profligacy extended to hiring private aircraft to take his friends to the races, asking a car dealer he knew to source an Aston Martin drophead coupé, drinking expensive Russian vodka and racing powerboats. In September 1966 he unsuccessfully screen tested for a part in Woman Times Seven, prompting him to automatically decline a later offer[why?] from film producer Cubby Broccoli, to screen test him for the role of James Bond'

I've certainly never heard anything about this in Bondian circles has anyone else? I feel sure it would've been in Helfenstein's making of OHMSS if it were true.

Good lad. Keep at it. Just think of the virgins.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Correction, the wordt MI6 staff member inBond history.

Ok. ;)
    Kitchen.

Perfect...wasted.

Since Kitchen is very much liked as Tanner I'd say you should put that in the controversial opinion thread.
    Kitchen’s Tanner is the closest we’ve ever seen of the character being properly portrayed…Kinnear well....just isn't.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited October 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Kinnear serves his purpose, which is largely to explain and also add a layer of comedy in contrast to Bond. While he's a ditz, Bond is super, and while he ducks for cover, Bond is ready to stand guard, etc. Their contrast can offer some amusing moments. People deride him for being an exposition machine, but that's been the function of many characters throughout the films, including M, Q, etc. Sometimes things need explained to set up the mission, no big deal about it.

I just don't get how seriously people take all this, or Rory's performance (seemingly forgetting that he didn't write his lines or parts in the films) as if Tanner is this paradigm changing character. Even in the books that people are so upset for the films treading on in their portrayal of Tanner, old Bill doesn't really do much of anything and I never get the feeling there that he and Bond are great friends. They see each other once in a while, have lunch in the canteen once, and maybe share a joke here and there. But I never feel anything close to a friendship from them that approaches even what Bond and Felix have, which isn't a perfect dynamic either. It's like someone being offended by how Ponsonby is portrayed on screen, when she's another inconsequential character.

It's clear that Tanner in these current films isn't trying to be Fleming's Tanner, and even if he was there's really not much there to pick from anyway. An okay character, but not one of Fleming's creations to get all hot and bothered over. Rory takes what he's given and gets on with it; at the very least I find myself chuckling when he and Bond are around, and that is the ultimate purpose of his character.
    But a Chief of Staff in MI6 wouldn't be a ditz. This is Bond not Austin Powers. In general, a chief of staff provides a buffer between a chief executive and that executive's direct-reporting team, so he wouldn't be a gimp with no presence (e.g. Kinnear).
    What @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 said. Although I don't think Tanner is a ditz, but just a mild mannered yet competent civil servant. People say Kinnear lacks charisma. Seriously? Tanner must now be this charismatic office worker? He's an MI6 employee, not the lead guitar of Pink Floyd! What's the next complaint? Richard Burton should have played one of the operators or that guy wearing glasses at the beginning of DN? Helen Mirren should have been Penelope Smallbone?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I do agree with Brady, the Tanner of the later films is a grey suit, a bean counter, M's Yes Man who probably feels desperately uncomfortable around the less predictable and more charismatic James Bond.
    He isn't there to add further charisma to a scene, anymore than Patrick Robinson was (thankfully).
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Kitchen.

Perfect...wasted.

Since Kitchen is very much liked as Tanner I'd say you should put that in the controversial opinion thread.

Sorry Kitchen fans, try not to lose any sleep.
    I'm not a Kitchen fan but there's a few here and as he seems to be the favourite Tanner I think you should definitely post this in the controversial opinion section.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited October 2017 Posts: 28,694
    But a Chief of Staff in MI6 wouldn't be a ditz. This is Bond not Austin Powers. In general, a chief of staff provides a buffer between a chief executive and that executive's direct-reporting team, so he wouldn't be a gimp with no presence (e.g. Kinnear).

Ditz wasn't the right word, as people usually take that as an intellectual comment first and foremost. I just mean that in relation to Bond he can come off as very uncoordinated or amusing in a derisive way, because he's not as cool and collected as Bond and doesn't have his brass balls. The purpose of his character is to contrast with Bond in funny ways, and that's it. We can disagree about the choice to use him that way all we want, but that's what is intended by his presence.

But to further my point from the last page, I'm never seen it confirmed in the Craig films that Tanner is M's Chief of Staff. I've always taken it that he's Villiers 2.0, M's personal assistant who follows her around to note her demands and to make contact with whoever she needs orders getting to. If Tanner was the Chief of Staff we know from Fleming's books he'd have an assistant of his own, not act like an assistant to M as Tanner in the Craig films does. The role he serves doesn't fit that CoS mold.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I'm not a Kitchen fan but there's a few here and as he seems to be the favourite Tanner I think you should definitely post this in the controversial opinion section.

This really is like comparing who's a better Leiter, Lord or Nutter. It's almost a competition of who out of two inconsequential characters did more than nothing on screen, a victory that could only be described as a hollow one and rather silly. How could one pick a winner from two characters who offer so little of importance in the grand scheme?

If there's a rising Kitchen fan club on here I'd be quite surprised, as there are far meatier parts in Bond history for our members to follow than the one of the man who is best known for saying a gag about the "Queen of Numbers."

I'm going to start a Pinder fan club next, and set up a fan thread for it.
  • Kinnear's crap and Kitchen had about three lines in total so can't really be judged imo. Said it before and I'll say it again: Colin Salmon. Robinson was Tanner in all but name and he made more of an impact in the TND PTS alone than Kinnear has in all three of his films. In his small bits of screentime he actually came across as Bond's mate and was charismatic enough to make the exposition engaging instead of snooze worthy.