Let's hear it for Rory Kinnear as Tanner!

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Rory as Tanner is the consummate pencil pusher. Boring as 'f', but reliable & by the book. He's the straight man to funny man Q & bossy boots MP.

I'd be happy if they are all replaced post-Craig. They work fine but are hogging the limelight somewhat in my view.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Oh, I don't know. They all sem like Family to me now. :)
    They are a big family it seems. True
    These days most films and TV shows have expanded their stories, to include other
    members of the cast and try to include some deeper emotional scenes for the chsracters.
    Just look at the old 60s/70s tv shows, and compare them to the contemporary versions.
    It's just how films and TV have changed over the years.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    I like Rory Kinnear a lot. He is spectacular in Penny Dreadful and other stuff.

He may be a bit low-key in his role as Tanner, but I certainly would miss him, especially after seeing his scenes in Spectre.

So could we say Penny Dreadful is the series of the People who have worked in a Bond flick?

It has Timothy Dalton- Bond, Eva Green- Bond Girl and Kinnear- Tanner we just need a Q there.
    Maybe one day John Cleese and Maybe Judi Dench or Brown could Join Them.

Don't forget Helen McCrory in season 2 (who played the parliamentarian who questions M in the courthouse in SF).
    Also John Logan and Sam Mendes who also work it
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,130
    bondjames wrote: »
    Don't forget Helen McCrory in season 2 (who played the parliamentarian who questions M in the courthouse in SF).

I haven't seen the show since im not into horror its just funny how many here mention many actors from the franchise in Penny dreadful but you just now made my point stronger.

We could call Penny dreadful the un oficial home fir the Bond actors ( The actors and actresses who have worked in a Bond film)

It's not for the squeamish, and if you're not a horror fan then avoid. However, if you can stomach supernatural stuff & blood and gore, then it's highly recommended.
    Brosnan and Dalton sharing a scene, that would be fantastic. :D
    This is a really big idea that just hit me, but what about Pierce Brosnan as Dracula?
    Nice idea, Brosnan would be a very sophisticated Dracula. :)
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    bondjames wrote: »
    It's not for the squeamish, and if you're not a horror fan then avoid. However, if you can stomach supernatural stuff & blood and gore, then it's highly recommended.

Im not good with lots of gore but i handled fine 300 raise of an empire, i will try one or two episodes if can keep going fine if not i just stop
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited March 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Rory almost had TWO appreciation threads. =D>

Craig hasn't even achieved that!!!
    He must have people everywhere. ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    He has an appreciation and news thread.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    The notion that a thread like this can even exist makes me despair for humanity.

If this is what we are reduced to let's get Donald Trump voted in ASAP and let him and Putin anhiliate us and let's give the cockroaches a chance to run the planet.
    The notion that a thread like this can even exist makes me despair for humanity.

If this is what we are reduced to let's get Donald Trump voted in ASAP and let him and Putin anhiliate us and let's give the cockroaches a chance to run the planet.

You seem angry...

:-?
    Was he in Spectre? ... it's hard to remember
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Was he in Spectre? ... it's hard to remember

You just have to try to remember if he's in a film or not. Pity poor Mrs Kinnear who is constantly freaked out by a random guy she can't remember meeting before just walking into her house and getting into bed with her.

Meeting Rory must be like some sort of simulator to experience what's it's like to have Alzheimer's as even as you're still talking to him your brain has probably subconsciously blanked out the fact that you ever met him.
    Delete
    Delete
  • RareJamesBondFanRareJamesBondFan Touch it. You can touch it if you want.
    Tanner could be a traitor. It's all there if you look closely. Rory Kinnear
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Rory Kinnear needs to be re-cast. He's a bore. The character is supposed to Bond's best friend at MI6, not an uncharismatic bore.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 1,661
    He's probably a decent bloke but he has adds nothing to the films. Well, he did get off the boat in SPECTRE in an awkward way and Bond just got off easily so that was an amusing moment at Tanner's expense, but can't see much else he adds...

Roy Kinnear, now he *was* funny. Great comedy actor. He was Rory's father.
    Somebody has to do the exposition.
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    I recall stories of earlier drafts of SP that had Tanner killing himself. Either because he was exposed as a traitor or was duped by a traitor into betraying MI6. That would have been a clever end for his character in a movie about hidden threats - a man so averagely everyday bland that you don't look beyond what he seems - turning out to be a source of danger, whether by accident or design. But I think SP was so overloaded with good ideas it creaked under the strain and perhaps if they had gone for the 2 part story, maybe that would have worked.
    I for one like the fact that MI6 is not staffed merely of Bond, M, Moneypenny and Q. And yes Bill Tanner has a minor role but as such he has his use. Not charismatic enough? He's a civil servant for crying out loud! And it's called a Bond movie not a Tanner movie.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    He's not the Tanner one envisages from Flemings books that's for sure.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    If I lost my hair I'd be pretty miserable as well. :P