The most psychotic villain in a Bond movie

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited December 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 17,691
Zorin? Orlov? Renard?
Personally, I find myself thinking Stromberg or Carver... I'm leaning a bit towards Elliot because of his ranting and the fact that I don't believe he had clearly thought out the future of Tomorrow after he achieved his ultimate goal there...

Comments

• Sanchez.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Sanchez.

Now ya see, I don't see him as particularly psychotic. Which is what also makes him one of the finest villains, btw.
  • Yeah, Carver is one of the most psychotic. Starting World War III simply to get exclusive rights and higher ratings? Yeah, that's insane.
  • chrisisall wrote:
    Sanchez.

Now ya see, I don't see him as particularly psychotic. Which is what also makes him one of the finest villains, btw.
    Psychotic and "crazy" are two different things. Sanchez is quite psychotic; he isn't "crazy" -- and that's what makes him truly dangerous.

Psychotic and "crazy" are two different things.

Definition of PSYCHOSIS
    : fundamental derangement of the mind (as in schizophrenia) characterized by defective or lost contact with reality

I think Sanchez had a very tight grip on reality- he was just a cold-blooded hateful SOB.
  • Sanchez's psychosis was probably narcissistic personality disorder as opposed to schizophrenia -- though I agree the end result was he was a brutal, sadistic, and vengeful man.
  • AliAli
    Xenia Onatopp. She's a true psychopath.
  • Renard.
    It could be Drax... I mean destroy the human race in order to create a new mankind in which he'll be the god of his superace? That's total lost of contact with reality.
    If I could take MR seriously I'd say he'd be #1 loon, but I can't, so I kind of rule him out for that reason- but for them that like MR, cool!
  • Got to be Drax or Stromberg. These guys wanted global genocide!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    There are far more choices for this question than first meets the eye. Maybe Zorin is a good candidate.
    Sanchez was brutal but not psychotic. He'd climbed the top of a bloody tree using his bare hands. He was knee deep in blood but it wasn't because he enjoyed it or had a psychotic disorder. It was just the world he lived in. Show loyalty or face the gun.

The psychotics were medically Zorin and there was a madness to Stromberg
  • Psychotic?

Max Zorin, hands down.
    Silva is defo up there for me
    Red Grant easily the man enjoys killing and is very casual about it.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Does that make him psychotic, or violently misanthropic?
    :-?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Goldfinger, for Jill Masterson alone.
    chrisisall wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

I the novel, he was a paranoid schizophrenic...

Agent005 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

I the novel, he was a paranoid schizophrenic...

That was what I did remember, thanks!

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Ali wrote:
    Xenia Onatopp. She's a true psychopath.

Nit-picking maybe, but pyschotics and psychopaths aren't the same thing. As my dad (whom felt the distinction important, as he worked alongside rehabilitating criminals) once irritably pointed out while watching AVTAK - Chuck Lee tells Bond Zorin's psychotic only later for 007 happily to claim he's a psychopath as if it's the same)...
    St_George wrote:
    Nit-picking maybe, but pyschotics and psychopaths aren't the same thing.
    Good point.
    Elliot Carver is psychotic; Red Grant is a psychopath.
  • Xenia Onatopp is honestly a very different animal from a psychological standpoint than everyone mentioned. She is a lust murderer. She doesn't kill just because it's her job, because someone was disloyal, because someone stood in the way of her plan. Onatopp left on her own would kill over and over because it's part of her psyche and who she is. Most of the world's most famous serial killers such as Bundy, Gacy, and Chikitilo fit this profile. Onatopp is a serial killer and in my mind that makes her the sickest of all of them.
    Onatopp is a serial killer and in my mind that makes her the sickest of all of them.
    Yes, she goes well beyond being simply psychotic.
  • Personally think it has to be drax, he wanted to wipe out everyone on earth, live in space for a while and then repopulate earth with his master race. I would say you don't get much more psychotic and narcisstic.
    I would say you don't get much more psychotic and narcisstic.
    If I could stomach the movie, I'd agree. Someday I might attempt re-entry....
  • chrisisall wrote:
    I would say you don't get much more psychotic and narcisstic.
    If I could stomach the movie, I'd agree. Someday I might attempt re-entry....

Ken Adams sets always make it easy for me to watch MR despite its well documented failings. Though at times i do find it quite a bizarre film, and strangely watchable.
    Though at times i do find it quite a bizarre film, and strangely watchable.
    You are a FAR better man than I, F&I.
  • @chrisisall: I'm with you... though I just bought the complete blu-ray set and am determined to watch them all again in order. SO, I will eventually give it another shot.

As for the most psychotic villain, I'd say Zorin. For many reasons, including his schemes, and the company he keeps.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 202
    Wint and Kidd

Great villains.